Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you have a “smartphone”, there are several apps which give free camping and good boondocking sites nationwide! My wife has several on her phone! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What are the apps names?

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a slide-in camper in the back of our truck for several years, when traveling we usually sought out the local hospital and parked in the back of their parking lot, never got questioned, worked out great.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just pull off where it’s pretty obvious it’s ok to stop. I can set up a tent and be in my sleeping bag in 8 minutes

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just pulling off the road is ok for just sleeping. We've done it many times. For more leisurely trips, though, we like to find a quiet scenic place to camp/fish/etc.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where's Birdwatcher?

Hell Mike just camps in the bar ditch... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m curious though, are free campsites wide open, will there be a lot of people living in their vans or crumbling RVs? Maybe just a CA thing.
You could always join the Elks Lodge, they usually allow plug-in spots at all their facilities.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I looked at some in Idaho that I'm familiar with. Some are pretty nice spots. I'm sure that you'll find junky ones, too.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm surprised that WalMart parking lots aren't shown... laugh

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm told that Walmart isn't as friendly to campers as they used to be. Apparently they were getting too many junkers who didn't leave. I think they do have an online directory to stores that still allow it, though.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What are the apps names?

Rock Chuck, Here are some, courtesy of my wife (these are iPhone apps, other phones may be different): these are ours, there are others available for purchase thru your AppStore!

For Boondocking - the app is cleverly called Boondocking

Others - RVParking, RV Park and Campgrounds, ALLSTAYS Camp and RV, Campendium - RV and Tent Camping

memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks.

I was just mucking around on the web looking for a list of Walmarts that allow camping. Some, apparently including the one here, have got the city to outlaw parking lot camping. That takes it off their backs.

― George Orwell

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They probably leave trash Walmart has to pick up.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I’m curious though, are free campsites wide open, will there be a lot of people living in their vans or crumbling RVs? Maybe just a CA thing.
You could always join the Elks Lodge, they usually allow plug-in spots at all their facilities.

Barkoff:

Depends on the location. Homeless people usually locate themselves in or near cities that offer free services. The best free camping spots are usually away from those cities and it's rare to find homeless people there.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are not homeless if they have the ability to even get there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Usually, it’s the local campgrounds, that protest to the city council. They state they’re losing business. However, during peak vacation seasons, often you must reserve to have a spot! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/23/19.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Roadside parks?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Lander WY has a very nice city park where camping is free to all. Lots of tent campers stay there, usually young people there for rock climbing, etc. Motorcycle groups also stay there quite a bit, bicycle tourists as well. There are public restrooms and a few spots for primitive RVers. We dont have any problem at all with folks trying to make it a home, police watch it pretty closely.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Where's Birdwatcher?

Hell Mike just camps in the bar ditch... laugh

Yep, I'm way over due here.

And I ride 'till can't see and bail off of the road looking for a spot along the right of way out of the headlights but without crossing fencelines. All I need is a piece of reasonably level ground to put a small tent on (if there's 'skeeters out). Leave at first light, no trash, no crap, no trespassing.

Thanks Rock for this way-cool link cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.