Home
Movies, TV, It's been way to long since I've seen a western I liked. Rant over.
Nope, sorry, that's toxic masculinity in one of it's highest forms.
check out "Good for nothing"

was ok
Unforgiven was the last good one I can remember
It'll be dark day when Clint passes. I wish he would've done more of them through the years.
Until they make a good one again:

And here:

"... long time passing..."
I have “grit” tv.
Westerns are on 24/7
Ballad of Buster Scruggs (weak-assed), The Salvation (decent), Sweetwater (okay), Godless (fair)

The original Monte Walsh with Lee Marvin and Jack Palance. The second one with Tom Selleck wasn’t bad, but the original was still better...
Lots of westerns on Prime
Inspiration Network.
The Wild Bunch, only movie I have ever bought a copy of.
Absolutely against the lefties agenda. Too much do it your self and against the all odds they getter done. Against evil and bad guys. Good guys win.
Not politicaly correct. They have labeled a cowboy a loose cannon. Not a team player.
We’ve got GRIT TV here on one of our local channels. It’s 24 hour westerns. Mostly from the 50’s & 60’s. Good stuff!
The old 'Western' movies only went the way of the Cowboy Six-Shooter Cap guns.

I wouldn't read conspiracy politics into it. Get-a-life. smile
Down load the Cisco k]id radio stuff from the 40's....better than watching the chit in my opinion...you don't try it ..u lose!
They don't have too high of a batting average for any good movies these days and westerns go against their "values". Only two good westerns of what I'd call recent years that I can think of, one was Open Range, the other was the remake of True Grit, both excellent. Part of it is changing times, but part of the reason and nature of that change is due to Hollywood and leftist "values". The same character traits and themes from westerns are also much less scene in any more modern type of movies. Amazing how things have changed in a few short decades and not for the better.
Today's political correctness and the real men from the old west tend to not be very compatible.
Gone with the liberals
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
It'll be dark day when Clint passes. I wish he would've done more of them through the years.
Agreed... He is simply - THE BEST.
Cant forget Tombstone!
Watched one yesterday I'd never seen..........When The Dalton's Rode. Starred Randolph Scott, Brian Donlevy, George Bancroft, and Andy Devine. Andy was a bad guy, only movie villain I ever saw him play. Pretty good old flick.
Originally Posted by Tom264
I have “grit” tv.
Westerns are on 24/7

My TV just stays on Grit. Last night was Gary Cooper night again!!!! Woohoo!!
I see all the retard knobs are cranked to a solid 10 this Thursday morning.

Some of THE greatest westerns ever made started in the 90's and continue to this day.

Unforgiven is arguably the greatest and easily the best of Eastwood.

Tombstone is arguably the most entertaining western in history.

Open Range is outstanding and one of Duvall's all time finest.

The new True Grit makes the old version look like a bag of smashed ass holes.

Hostiles is absolutely incredible. Although if your brain needs to hear the word "Howdy" every 10 minutes you may not be able to grasp it.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs
is not a movie. It is a collection of short stories. I know books aren't real popular on this website but it is an old format of selling them. Scruggs is an adaptation of this concept and it is incredible. Obviously you'll have your favorites as most do. Mine were the covered wagon and prospector stories.
The last good one I saw in the theater was "Apaloosa". That has certainly been a while.
Deflave has a good list and add The Missing with Tommy lee jones,, I also liked the missouri breaks,, and red river ,,
Originally Posted by 700LH
Today's political correctness and the real men from the old west tend to not be very compatible.

................ Amen............( Trigger Warning - Sarcasm follows)...... This is now the 21st century and we can't allow all these neanderthal extravaganzas of toxic masculinity and the glorification of that dreaded gun culture. Also not to mention that all too many of the stars are straight, white, and male. There is absolutely no representation of LBGTQ people and it's just not fair !..... There's also no trigger warnings in any of these films and that is so offensive.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by 700LH

................ Amen............( Trigger Warning - Sarcasm follows)...... This is now the 21st century and we can't allow all these neanderthal extravaganzas of toxic masculinity and the glorification of that dreaded gun culture. Also not to mention that all too many of the stars are straight, white, and male. There is absolutely no representation of LBGTQ people and it's just not fair !..... There's also no trigger warnings in any of these films and that is so offensive.

You're kidding right?
Originally Posted by deflave
I see all the retard knobs are cranked to a solid 10 this Thursday morning.

Some of THE greatest westerns ever made started in the 90's and continue to this day.

Unforgiven is arguably the greatest and easily the best of Eastwood.

Tombstone is arguably the most entertaining western in history.

Open Range is outstanding and one of Duvall's all time finest.

The new True Grit makes the old version look like a bag of smashed ass holes.

Hostiles is absolutely incredible. Although if your brain needs to hear the word "Howdy" every 10 minutes you may not be able to grasp it.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs
is not a movie. It is a collection of short stories. I know books aren't real popular on this website but it is an old format of selling them. Scruggs is an adaptation of this concept and it is incredible. Obviously you'll have your favorites as most do. Mine were the covered wagon and prospector stories.

Unforgiven was "ok" but I liked the old one better. Never cared for True Grit and haven't seen the new one. All the rest are pretty darned good, but John Ford's Trilogy were hard to beat as was the Magnificent Seven, Searchers, McClntock, etc.
I agree with Flave and I also liked the Missing.

Havent seen Hostiles or Buster S yet.

Edit. They’ve been showing the new True Grit on Grit here lately.
.............Read the sarcasm warning.
If you look at some of the reruns of The Virginian TV series a huge bunch of who were to become major actors got their start there. As for movies I think we've got away from our western heritage and writers don't do well with that. There are some good current examples though with Lonesome Dove, Open Range and more. The new True Grit doesn't do much except allow La Boeuf to live. Jeff Bridges is a great American and a good actor but for me John Wayne was the epitome of Rooster Cogburn.

Some of the older characters like Anthony Zerbe, Strother Martin, John McIntire and many others are hard to replace.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Unforgiven was "ok" but I liked the old one better. Never cared for True Grit and haven't seen the new one. All the rest are pretty darned good, but John Ford's Trilogy were hard to beat as was the Magnificent Seven, Searchers, McClntock, etc.

The old one?

You didn't like the original True Grit because it sucked. Watched the new one. If you don't like it, you don't like westerns.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
.............Read the sarcasm warning.

I always skim past those caution and warning signs. Sorry.
Originally Posted by deflave

The old one?

You didn't like the original True Grit because it sucked. Watched the new one. If you don't like it, you don't like westerns.

Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy. Pretty good movie. I'll make it a point to see the new one. As far as True Grit (old one) I really don't care for any of the latter Wayne movies, starting with Katie Elder, Shootist, Cowboys, etc.
Jorge,

Most don’t know about that old Unforgiven. But a great movie. Even starred Lilloan Gish as the mother! Like the young Albert Salmi gettin’ offed by the indians.
The original Unforgiven and the original Monte Wash are as good as it ever got.
The Unforgiven is a totally separate movie from Unforgiven. The only thing they share is the word unforgiven.
I always get a chuckle when people blame either political party when it comes to things like this.

The simple answer is: they make what sells. Period.

If westerns sold out theaters and flew off the shelf they'd be making a ton of them. I can't remember the last time I went to the movie theater. Nothing new really interests me.

But they must interest a whole bunch of people, because they make a ton of money off some of these new movies.

They are going to make what makes them money.

As far as good westerns go.... The new true grit was excellent. My favorite movie/show ever is the lonesome Dove mini series with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee jones. I may be a little partial to it though as I loved the books, and then watched the movies.

Tombstone is a fantastic movie as well with Val kilmer, Kurt Russell, Sam Elliot

-Jake
Millenials don’t watch westerns. None that I know of.
Can't leave The Cowboys off the list!

One of my all-time favorite John Wayne movies.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Movies, TV, It's been way to long since I've seen a western I liked. Rant over.

Godless
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

That's why they don't sell.

And why they don't make them very often.

-Jake
John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara died!!

Don't do anything but bitch and vote Democratic!!
Roy Roger's and Trigger:

Plenty do.
“Gone Are The Days”

I’m often reticent to even try new westerns, but this one was very good. Very very good. I watched it in Netflix.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
“Gone Are The Days”

I’m often reticent to even try new westerns, but this one was very good. Very very good. I watched it in Netflix.
I watched it.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
“Gone Are The Days”

I liked the parts where Lance Henrikson was chugging the Heroin.
Forgot another favorite of mine; Crossfire Trail...
Originally Posted by Tom264
I have “grit” tv.
Westerns are on 24/7

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS
laugh

The Ranch on Netflix is a millennial Western

-Jake
Originally Posted by DryPowder

Wynn!

Where did you find this? He's a high school buddy of mine. I see a couple times per year. This somg is great,
Most boomers don't like "westerns."

They like old schit they grew up watching.
Now we are talking about something near and dear to my heart and to me there was no one like the Duke in my eyes one of if not the best actor ever!!!!!! Lonesome Dove best minny serious ever will never be one that good ever again. I'm sorry but I loved Monty Walsh with Tom S and every other western he made. The last truly good Western was Open Range unbelievable actors and one of the best endings with the starting of the shootout bullet to the head now that's getting your point across. And yes Clint was the man and will be missed some day. I hate to think what a world this will be without men (actors) like these because as I am concerned they are irreplaceable. Widow
Recently I viewed a show hosted by Glenn Ford gathering as many of the old TV Western stars in a barroom setting as were still available. It was fun to watch and many of them were pretty ancient when it was filmed. They even had folks like Michael Ansara and Iron Eyes Cody showing up.

At one point Glenn said that in 1957, there were over 30 different Western TV series appearing every week. I think that helped dry up the Westerns, since there simply were too many. I still like them, but let's face it, some of the plots were pretty lame.

Nowadays the crime shows like NCIS have taken their place. I still look for good Western movies, but I don't expect much in the way of TV series.

BTW, one of my very favorite films, along with the Sackett series, is The Big Country, with Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Charlton Heston, Chuck Connors, Burl Ives and many other great actors.

Norm
Lonesome Dove was the last western worth a hoot. I'm old school, and freely admit it. John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart, Randolph Scott, Joel McCrea, Henry Fonda....now those were the real stars worth seeing. I was never an Eastwood fan, as those spaghetti westerns were so damn fake that they made him look bad.

The Searchers was not only the best western ever made, but one of the best movies ever.
James Jr I could not agree more they just don't make them like that any more and it's ashamed the world was a better place back then I know I was there. Widow
That was my point, they don't make the westerns now, and have not for many years. Movies, or TV.
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by DryPowder

Wynn!

Where did you find this? He's a high school buddy of mine. I see a couple times per year. This somg is great,

Wynn looks like he would be a fun guy to share a campfire with and that Smokehouse place looks cool as hell!
Red River...one of best ever made!
Again.....

Godless
Originally Posted by wabigoon
That was my point, they don't make the westerns now, and have not for many years. Movies, or TV.

Are you retarded?
As far as movie Westerns, for my part, the decline began when gratuitous cruelty became the dominant aspect of the genre.
Forgot another favorite of mine; Crossfire Trail...

I watched that one last night. Open Range is good. The Quick and the Dead with Sam Elliott is another. Note that I said with Sam Elliott and not that farce with the same name with Sharon Stone. Broken trail is good. The Long Riders, The Wild Bunch as well are worth watching. I even have a lot of the early John Wayne stuff, you know the Saturday matinee westerns. One worth watching if you can find it is The Big Trail. Acting not so hot but did a better than average job of portraying the hardships those pioneers in covered wagons had to go through to get out west. That was Wayne's first full length movie BTW. Do I like westerns? Oh yeah!
Paul B.
I guess John Wayne's last movie The Cowboys was really good. Bruce Dern true to form made a fine outlaw. That and the Shootist were some of his best work.

It's a shame that they don't make as many good westerns as they used to.

But I would like to add a positive note to this discussion.

Open Range (2003) is one of the best westerns that I know of, really good and fairly recent for this genre.

Check out a movie entitled Wind River. It's a western that takes place today. Pretty good.

Another good modern day western is Hell or High Water. Also pretty good.

Both are available on Netflix.

Hostiles is another recent western. It's OK too.
Try "The Homesman" with Tommy Lee Jones. I like the movies made about Aussie, New Zealand, S Africa settlers. Quigley is well known, but there are others if you look. "The Proposition", and "The Tracker" (2 movies with that name, I can't find the other yet) with Ray Winstone. "Mad Dog Kelly". There is a movie I can't find taken from the Aussie who made boiler plate armor.

I like to spot the firearms and other props, some are period correct, some not, and some of them in the days past had to be real deals before replicas were available.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As far as movie Westerns, for my part, the decline began when gratuitous cruelty became the dominant aspect of the genre.

Yep.

Shane ruined it.

Doesn't meet the criteria.
Originally Posted by KC

Open Range (2003) is one of the best westerns that I know of, really good and fairly recent for this genre.

Check out a movie entitled Wind River. It's a western that takes place today. Pretty good.

KC.... if you have Netflix then what is your take on Godless?
Hollywood has not yet found the right black male or female star!!
Recent Ballad of Lefty Brown was excellent and gone are the days is pretty darn good.
I doubt the current political climate would allow a TV series.
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by KC

KC.... if you have Netflix then what is your take on Godless?

Godless is entertaining, but another example of rewriting history to match today's anti white male narrative.

The three burials of Melquiades Estrada.
© 24hourcampfire