-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recently I viewed a show hosted by Glenn Ford gathering as many of the old TV Western stars in a barroom setting as were still available. It was fun to watch and many of them were pretty ancient when it was filmed. They even had folks like Michael Ansara and Iron Eyes Cody showing up.

At one point Glenn said that in 1957, there were over 30 different Western TV series appearing every week. I think that helped dry up the Westerns, since there simply were too many. I still like them, but let's face it, some of the plots were pretty lame.

Nowadays the crime shows like NCIS have taken their place. I still look for good Western movies, but I don't expect much in the way of TV series.

BTW, one of my very favorite films, along with the Sackett series, is The Big Country, with Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Charlton Heston, Chuck Connors, Burl Ives and many other great actors.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lonesome Dove was the last western worth a hoot. I'm old school, and freely admit it. John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart, Randolph Scott, Joel McCrea, Henry Fonda....now those were the real stars worth seeing. I was never an Eastwood fan, as those spaghetti westerns were so damn fake that they made him look bad.

The Searchers was not only the best western ever made, but one of the best movies ever.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
James Jr I could not agree more they just don't make them like that any more and it's ashamed the world was a better place back then I know I was there. Widow

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
That was my point, they don't make the westerns now, and have not for many years. Movies, or TV.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by DryPowder

Wynn!

Where did you find this? He's a high school buddy of mine. I see a couple times per year. This somg is great,

Wynn looks like he would be a fun guy to share a campfire with and that Smokehouse place looks cool as hell!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Red River...one of best ever made!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Again.....

Godless

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wabigoon
That was my point, they don't make the westerns now, and have not for many years. Movies, or TV.

Are you retarded?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As far as movie Westerns, for my part, the decline began when gratuitous cruelty became the dominant aspect of the genre.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Forgot another favorite of mine; Crossfire Trail...

I watched that one last night. Open Range is good. The Quick and the Dead with Sam Elliott is another. Note that I said with Sam Elliott and not that farce with the same name with Sharon Stone. Broken trail is good. The Long Riders, The Wild Bunch as well are worth watching. I even have a lot of the early John Wayne stuff, you know the Saturday matinee westerns. One worth watching if you can find it is The Big Trail. Acting not so hot but did a better than average job of portraying the hardships those pioneers in covered wagons had to go through to get out west. That was Wayne's first full length movie BTW. Do I like westerns? Oh yeah!
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I guess John Wayne's last movie The Cowboys was really good. Bruce Dern true to form made a fine outlaw. That and the Shootist were some of his best work.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It's a shame that they don't make as many good westerns as they used to.

But I would like to add a positive note to this discussion.

Open Range (2003) is one of the best westerns that I know of, really good and fairly recent for this genre.

Check out a movie entitled Wind River. It's a western that takes place today. Pretty good.

Another good modern day western is Hell or High Water. Also pretty good.

Both are available on Netflix.

Hostiles is another recent western. It's OK too.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Try "The Homesman" with Tommy Lee Jones. I like the movies made about Aussie, New Zealand, S Africa settlers. Quigley is well known, but there are others if you look. "The Proposition", and "The Tracker" (2 movies with that name, I can't find the other yet) with Ray Winstone. "Mad Dog Kelly". There is a movie I can't find taken from the Aussie who made boiler plate armor.

I like to spot the firearms and other props, some are period correct, some not, and some of them in the days past had to be real deals before replicas were available.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As far as movie Westerns, for my part, the decline began when gratuitous cruelty became the dominant aspect of the genre.

Yep.

Shane ruined it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Doesn't meet the criteria.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

Open Range (2003) is one of the best westerns that I know of, really good and fairly recent for this genre.

Check out a movie entitled Wind River. It's a western that takes place today. Pretty good.

KC.... if you have Netflix then what is your take on Godless?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hollywood has not yet found the right black male or female star!!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Recent Ballad of Lefty Brown was excellent and gone are the days is pretty darn good.
I doubt the current political climate would allow a TV series.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by KC

KC.... if you have Netflix then what is your take on Godless?

Godless is entertaining, but another example of rewriting history to match today's anti white male narrative.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,500
Posts18,509,196
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.