Home
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/03/19
Recently been using B&B fatwood with a plumbers torch. Out in the fields another story but I'm kinda likiing this for convenience. What do you guys use? Tumbleweeds? Newspaper? Fluid? I've been done with fluid for a while now. Only use it to burn brush.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/03/19
charcoal chimney and two full sheets of newspaper. never fails and no stinking fluids
Flint & Steel 😜
Posted By: slumlord Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/03/19
Starter?

I've always got coals ready. 😄
Just stir em up, dip a few out of the Heatmor.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/03/19
Originally Posted by rem141r
charcoal chimney and two full sheets of newspaper. never fails and no stinking fluids

Nailed it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/03/19
Chimney and electric.

In the Egg I break a piece of fire starter stick and put it in the middle. Flame on.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Originally Posted by deflave
Chimney and electric.

In the Egg I break a piece of fire starter stick and put it in the middle. Flame on.

Tried a heat gun yet?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
propane torch.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
propane torch.

I use one for a stick burner.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Flint & Steel 😜

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
I just start a fire with small stuff and work up to a bed of coals. You really need time to do it. Many people confuse it with grilling.
Posted By: hanco Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
I use a propane torch to start mesquite wood. Mesquite is best for a BBQ
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
My usual lump coal and electric iron.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
https://thebisoncompany.com
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Unleaded and a tossed match. Cooking in 15 minutes no bad taste. I put the gas can up before I throw the.match. If it doesn't light we gas grillin.
Posted By: colodog Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
propane torch.

this
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Originally Posted by hanco

It is....where mesquite grows. Don't bring it to a really humid area and expect it to cook the same. It won't. There is no better BBQ...NONE.. than a slow cooked brisket over South Texas mesquite coals.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Give me four or five hours, I'll get that charcoal goin'. Once I pull the meat off, it's good for a few more meals.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
I fill the pellet hopper and turn it to the temp I want. Yeah, it is cheating...but I like to eat BBQ more than just making it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
I cook a lot of steaks with mesquite wood. Nothing like T-none steak.
If you insist on mesquite, you can get it in pellets for the pellet grill.
Saturate a cotton ball with Crisco. Start your Stubbs charcoal with one or two pulled apart a little under a charcoal chimney. You get no off flavors or ash flying around. Make up a bunch and store in a ziploc.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
I start my fire with 500,000 btu weed burner.....get her done ...at contests every one wants to use it... >>>>..Jack Daniel 2010

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:51 am

Gator wrote:Has anyone seen a list yet? 

Ive seen a couple of team announcements but no list of all invites...

AUTOMATICS: 

I-Que Hopkinton, MA 2009 Jack Daniel’s 
Yazoo’s Delta Q Nesbit, MS Memphis in May 
Drillin’& Grillin’ BBQ Team Houston, TX HLS&R Barbecue 
Boondoggle BBQ Lee’s Summit, MO 2009 American Royal Open 

Pellet Envy Leawood, KS Seven Wins 
QUAU Brimfield, IL Seven Wins 
Rhythm ‘n QUE Phoenix, AZ Seven Wins 
Squeal On U BBQ Fairbanks, AK AK State Winner  whistle
I open the tank and press the igniter.
wink
If you have a need for some kind of chemical firestarter for a BBQ, camping, or whatever, these ZIP cubes from Wally's are about the best I've found. Touch a Zippo lighter to the wrapper and it will burn long and hot. I carry a couple in my hunting pack all the time. Don't buy them in sporting goods, though. Wally's has them in sporting goods at 6 cubes for about $6. They have exactly the same thing back with the BBQ charcoal & stuff in a 12 pack for the same price.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Looflighter and lump charcoal.
MAP torch
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Weed burner.

Best $20 I ever spent.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
A gallon of gas & a couple old truck tires works pretty good

Mike
Originally Posted by SamOlson
[Linked Image]

That's some nasty chit when it burns.... sick

I'm saving up a bunch for when I catch the wind right... As in blowing towards my whitetrash neighbor's place. grin
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19

With you on the chimney. I might use a piece of fat wood but haven't used fluid in ages.

rockchuck- are those the little fuzzy ones or the waxy kind? I like the littel fuzzy ones best. Waxy ones work great but I always feel they are kind of chemy.
They aren't fuzzy. I don't know if you'd call them waxy or not. I've never opened a wrapper to look. You don't open it. Just light the wrapper itself and it takes right off.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
charcoal chimney
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
charcoal chimney

I’ll crumple up some newspaper and add a couple of teaspoons of vegetable oil and away I go. Dave
Posted By: killerv Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
chimney. I always grab a bunch of sales paper when leaving kroger for this since we don't get the newspaper.

I always laugh of folks using the plug in starters to start theirs. The chimney is so much easier.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Posted By: ST50 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Quart jar with about 2" tiki torch oil. I soak 7" strips of scrap lumber or small branches . They wick up enough fluid easily Keeps the mosquitoes at bay in the summer for a while. My wife gets testy if I don't keep a few handy for the wood stove also.
Posted By: KC Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19

This article makes it sound a lot harder than it really is. It makes the assumption that you are backpacking. But it's still useful info.

HOW TO START A FIRE
Knowing how to get a fire going is a mandatory skill if you want to spend much time in the wilderness. Preparation is the key to being able to get a fire burning. Combustion occurs when the primary elements of fuel, heat and oxygen are combined. Before you try to initiate combustion, make sure that you have the necessary materials gathered and ready to be combined in the right manner.

FUEL
can be just about any kind of combustible material. Wood is the most common type of fuel but paper, leaves, grass, and a variety of synthetics can also be used. Cow pies will burn once the fire is going strong but they stink. Most textbooks separate firewood into at least three categories by size; tinder, kindling and fuel.

Tinder is the smallest size of fuel and easiest to start burning. Tinder should be dry because evaporating water robs the fire of heat. Dry grass, leaves, paper, thin bark, small roots, hemp rope, or just about any other kind of small, thin, dry combustible material will work. The long needles from a ponderosa pine that have dried under the tree work great as do tumbleweeds. I like using tall blonde grass. There always seems to be some around camp and it dries very quickly even after a rain because it stands up into the wind. The furry bark of cedar trees or the inner bark that has dried and partially separated from dead aspen trees makes excellent tinder if you pound it with a rock and shred it. Newspaper or the pages from a phone book also make fine tinder.

Take a large ZipLok bag and fill it with tinder that you gather while you are hiking. Collect ten times as much as you think you’ll need, because that’s how much you will really need.

Kindling is the next size of fuel. It can be dry sticks or limbs about as thick as your fingers. You can use tiny sticks or twigs and/or split thin strips of wood from a larger piece of wood with a pocket knife. When there’s snow on the ground or when everything is wet you can often find small dead twigs hanging on the underside of pines trees where it has been protected from rain/snow by the tree above.

Fuel is the big stuff that will burn for a long time.

HEAT is the next primary element of combustion. There are lots of ways to initiate the fire but a pocket lighter or matches are the easiest and most reliable ways to accomplish the task. Road flares work fine but they are heavy.

OXYGEN is the final primary element of combustion. All you have to do is make sure that the fire can get access to the air. How you arrange your fire pit will determine how well the fire is ventilated. Once you get the fire going, don’t put too much kindling on top of the fire. This can inhibit ventilation and rob the fire of oxygen.

PREPARATION for starting a fire begins with creating the fire pit. Choose the fire pit location carefully. Think about what can go wrong before you start the fire and set your fire pit to minimize hazards. If there’s snow on the ground, your fire pit may need some small short logs placed on the snow as a base for the fire. Next gather your fuel and separate it into piles of tinder, kindling and fuel.

STARTING THE FIRE
Finally apply heat to the tinder with a pocket lighter or match. Gradually feed small kindling and then larger and larger pieces onto the fire, little at a time until it’s burning strong enough to get even the largest stump burning. Don’t smother your fledgling fire with too much wood. Be patient.

Starting your fire will be most difficult when you can’t find any dry tinder or twigs. A candle and some patience is usually all it takes to dry out the twigs and get them burning. In addition to candles there are several kinds of aids to fire starting that can be prepared in advance including cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly. There are also several kinds of commercial fire starters in the form of a stick, cup, cube or jelly that are commonly available at most sporting goods stores. I always carry one kind or another. Pine Sap that has oozed out and dried on the surface of the tree/bark, if you can find it, works about as good as anything you can bring from home. When I know there’s going to be snow on the ground, I carry some newspaper or phone book pages.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Originally Posted by hanco

Thats personal as all woods ad differing flavors.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
To each their own I guess, but I can't see a $50 or $80 flame blower gadget to light some charcoal, or tiki oil, fire cubes etc. Don't even need to get the torch out the garage or the weed burner out the shed either.

Since I used my first chimney and some newspaper nearly 30 years ago it's about all I've ever needed. I'm so cheap, when I didn't have one and lived aways from town, I just took an old metal 3 lb coffee can, cut the bottom out too, used a church key to poke some holes around the bottom for ventilation, and voila! Lit charcoal.

Geno

PS, that rem141r dude has it goin' on, starts his coals like I do, grows his 'sparagus like I do. I wonder is he as handsome? Must be an OK fella.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Originally Posted by USMC2602

Nailed it.

Couldn’t be easier.
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/04/19
Propane and Propane accessories=====Hank Hill
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/08/19
Most of the time I can grab fallen twigs from the yard to start the chimney. Feels right.

Some use fluid with the chimney - seems somehow....uncouth!
Posted By: 79S Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/08/19
2 gallons of gas stand back and throw match on it..
Originally Posted by slumlord
Starter?

I've always got coals ready. 😄
Just stir em up, dip a few out of the Heatmor.

Posted By: BGunn Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/08/19
Pubic hair and rubber bands...
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/09/19
Good torch and 1/2 gallon of gasoline.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/09/19
Originally Posted by 16bore

Nailed it.

Couldn’t be easier.

Same ... except I just tear off a couple of strips of the top of the charcoal bag itself!
Posted By: rlott Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/09/19
The chimneys work good.

I remember when I was a kid, my Dad would carefully arrange the charcoal in a pyramid, then pour gasoline on it, then stand back about 5 or 6 feet and flick paper matches on it. The whole time with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth.

This is what happens when you give rednecks advanced degrees:

Posted By: hanco Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/09/19
Are you all talking about starting a fire in a real pit like these I built or a charcoal grill?? If your are starting a fire in a grill, use charcoal that has lighter fluid in it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: nighthawk Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/09/19
What I settled on long ago was a tuna fish can about a third full of the fluid and pyramid the briquettes over it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/10/19
I use an electric leaf blower a lot, starts fires in a hurry
Posted By: kellory Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/10/19
This will last me a lifetime, and get passed on.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13545728#Post13545728
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/10/19
Got another six 50 lb corn feed sacks of small mesquite chunks from a bud in Texas awhile back, I mix those with seasoned hickory chips I cut here on the farm, light it all with some kind of natural lighter fluid Wife gets somewhere, no after taste or smell on lighting.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/10/19
Originally Posted by fubarguy
Propane and Propane accessories=====Hank Hill

"Dad said butane is a bĂ stard gas"

Bobby Hill
Posted By: hanco Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/10/19
Drunk fire tonight!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Toddly Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/10/19

Nailed it.

This.
If you have electricity, a hot air gun works great. Or for a fancier version of the same, a “looft lighter”...http://www.yardandpool.com/looftlighter-electric-firestarter-lighter?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3sas6aqw4AIVwwOGCh2S3Qc8EAQYBSABEgIij_D_BwE

It’s all I ever use any more on my ceramic Grill Dome.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by 16bore

Nailed it.

Couldn’t be easier.

Same for regular charcoal ... except I just tear off a couple of strips of the top of the charcoal bag itself! No need for the newspaper!

For lump in the Kamado, small propane torch. But been thinking of trying one of those electric lighters that blows hot air.
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Recently been using B&B fatwood with a plumbers torch. Out in the fields another story but I'm kinda likiing this for convenience. What do you guys use? Tumbleweeds? Newspaper? Fluid? I've been done with fluid for a while now. Only use it to burn brush.

last year, I had a lightning killed pine tree taken down in my back yard. I had the guy leave a tall stump, as it turned out to be solid lighter, or fat wood. Yesterday I trimmed off another chunk to cut up into sticks. I figure I have a life time supply.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/12/19
Pine in a BBQ pit???? I would think that would be a mistake, soot up your pit, food taste like pine????

I don’t think you are supposed to you pine in a fireplace???
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/12/19
Pine is fine as firewood, it just burns faster.

The small amount needed to start charcoal, if it burns off, should not give a pine taste.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/12/19
Used to make charcoal chimneys from buckets. Now I just buy one.
Posted By: 30incher Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

last year, I had a lightning killed pine tree taken down in my back yard. I had the guy leave a tall stump, as it turned out to be solid lighter, or fat wood. Yesterday I trimmed off another chunk to cut up into sticks. I figure I have a life time supply.
[Linked Image]

A buddy of mine from Florida brought a 5' piece of "lighternaught" or "fat wood" , about 6" in diameter, back to me in South Texas. Said he found it in a swamp from a fallen pine tree and that they used it to start fires with , rain or shine! I was skeptical but it works to perfection and takes very little to start a big fire. As of today (3 years later) I still have about a 2' section of it left. Good stuff
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

[Linked Image]

Oh, that looks perfect.
Since I don't take the fakenewspaper any more, I use two of these underneath a metal charcoal chimney. Less mess than the newspaper too. https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7417-Lighter-Cubes/dp/B001AN7RGG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2Y4AKG1N7XM8O&keywords=charcoal+starter+cubes&qid=1549995723&s=gateway&sprefix=charcoal+star%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-3
Posted By: killerv Re: Fire starters for bbqin. - 02/12/19
We try to get a couple truck bed loads of fat lighter each year off the property. My buddy took a kid out wanting some extra spending money and let him get some. Kid chopped it up and made little bundles of kindling to sell. Kid cleared about 300 bucks.
© 24hourcampfire