-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I cook a lot of steaks with mesquite wood. Nothing like T-none steak.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you insist on mesquite, you can get it in pellets for the pellet grill.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Saturate a cotton ball with Crisco. Start your Stubbs charcoal with one or two pulled apart a little under a charcoal chimney. You get no off flavors or ash flying around. Make up a bunch and store in a ziploc.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I start my fire with 500,000 btu weed burner.....get her done ...at contests every one wants to use it... >>>>..Jack Daniel 2010

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:51 am

Gator wrote:Has anyone seen a list yet? 

Ive seen a couple of team announcements but no list of all invites...

AUTOMATICS: 

I-Que Hopkinton, MA 2009 Jack Daniel’s 
Yazoo’s Delta Q Nesbit, MS Memphis in May 
Drillin’& Grillin’ BBQ Team Houston, TX HLS&R Barbecue 
Boondoggle BBQ Lee’s Summit, MO 2009 American Royal Open 

Pellet Envy Leawood, KS Seven Wins 
QUAU Brimfield, IL Seven Wins 
Rhythm ‘n QUE Phoenix, AZ Seven Wins 
Squeal On U BBQ Fairbanks, AK AK State Winner  whistle

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I open the tank and press the igniter.
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you have a need for some kind of chemical firestarter for a BBQ, camping, or whatever, these ZIP cubes from Wally's are about the best I've found. Touch a Zippo lighter to the wrapper and it will burn long and hot. I carry a couple in my hunting pack all the time. Don't buy them in sporting goods, though. Wally's has them in sporting goods at 6 cubes for about $6. They have exactly the same thing back with the BBQ charcoal & stuff in a 12 pack for the same price.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Looflighter and lump charcoal.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MAP torch

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weed burner.

Best $20 I ever spent.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A gallon of gas & a couple old truck tires works pretty good

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
[Linked Image]

That's some nasty chit when it burns.... sick

I'm saving up a bunch for when I catch the wind right... As in blowing towards my whitetrash neighbor's place. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r
charcoal chimney and two full sheets of newspaper. never fails and no stinking fluids

With you on the chimney. I might use a piece of fat wood but haven't used fluid in ages.

rockchuck- are those the little fuzzy ones or the waxy kind? I like the littel fuzzy ones best. Waxy ones work great but I always feel they are kind of chemy.

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/04/19.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They aren't fuzzy. I don't know if you'd call them waxy or not. I've never opened a wrapper to look. You don't open it. Just light the wrapper itself and it takes right off.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
charcoal chimney

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
charcoal chimney

I’ll crumple up some newspaper and add a couple of teaspoons of vegetable oil and away I go. Dave

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
chimney. I always grab a bunch of sales paper when leaving kroger for this since we don't get the newspaper.

I always laugh of folks using the plug in starters to start theirs. The chimney is so much easier.

Last edited by killerv; 02/04/19.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quart jar with about 2" tiki torch oil. I soak 7" strips of scrap lumber or small branches . They wick up enough fluid easily Keeps the mosquitoes at bay in the summer for a while. My wife gets testy if I don't keep a few handy for the wood stove also.

KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

This article makes it sound a lot harder than it really is. It makes the assumption that you are backpacking. But it's still useful info.

HOW TO START A FIRE
Knowing how to get a fire going is a mandatory skill if you want to spend much time in the wilderness. Preparation is the key to being able to get a fire burning. Combustion occurs when the primary elements of fuel, heat and oxygen are combined. Before you try to initiate combustion, make sure that you have the necessary materials gathered and ready to be combined in the right manner.

FUEL
can be just about any kind of combustible material. Wood is the most common type of fuel but paper, leaves, grass, and a variety of synthetics can also be used. Cow pies will burn once the fire is going strong but they stink. Most textbooks separate firewood into at least three categories by size; tinder, kindling and fuel.

Tinder is the smallest size of fuel and easiest to start burning. Tinder should be dry because evaporating water robs the fire of heat. Dry grass, leaves, paper, thin bark, small roots, hemp rope, or just about any other kind of small, thin, dry combustible material will work. The long needles from a ponderosa pine that have dried under the tree work great as do tumbleweeds. I like using tall blonde grass. There always seems to be some around camp and it dries very quickly even after a rain because it stands up into the wind. The furry bark of cedar trees or the inner bark that has dried and partially separated from dead aspen trees makes excellent tinder if you pound it with a rock and shred it. Newspaper or the pages from a phone book also make fine tinder.

Take a large ZipLok bag and fill it with tinder that you gather while you are hiking. Collect ten times as much as you think you’ll need, because that’s how much you will really need.

Kindling is the next size of fuel. It can be dry sticks or limbs about as thick as your fingers. You can use tiny sticks or twigs and/or split thin strips of wood from a larger piece of wood with a pocket knife. When there’s snow on the ground or when everything is wet you can often find small dead twigs hanging on the underside of pines trees where it has been protected from rain/snow by the tree above.

Fuel is the big stuff that will burn for a long time.

HEAT is the next primary element of combustion. There are lots of ways to initiate the fire but a pocket lighter or matches are the easiest and most reliable ways to accomplish the task. Road flares work fine but they are heavy.

OXYGEN is the final primary element of combustion. All you have to do is make sure that the fire can get access to the air. How you arrange your fire pit will determine how well the fire is ventilated. Once you get the fire going, don’t put too much kindling on top of the fire. This can inhibit ventilation and rob the fire of oxygen.

PREPARATION for starting a fire begins with creating the fire pit. Choose the fire pit location carefully. Think about what can go wrong before you start the fire and set your fire pit to minimize hazards. If there’s snow on the ground, your fire pit may need some small short logs placed on the snow as a base for the fire. Next gather your fuel and separate it into piles of tinder, kindling and fuel.

STARTING THE FIRE
Finally apply heat to the tinder with a pocket lighter or match. Gradually feed small kindling and then larger and larger pieces onto the fire, little at a time until it’s burning strong enough to get even the largest stump burning. Don’t smother your fledgling fire with too much wood. Be patient.

Starting your fire will be most difficult when you can’t find any dry tinder or twigs. A candle and some patience is usually all it takes to dry out the twigs and get them burning. In addition to candles there are several kinds of aids to fire starting that can be prepared in advance including cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly. There are also several kinds of commercial fire starters in the form of a stick, cup, cube or jelly that are commonly available at most sporting goods stores. I always carry one kind or another. Pine Sap that has oozed out and dried on the surface of the tree/bark, if you can find it, works about as good as anything you can bring from home. When I know there’s going to be snow on the ground, I carry some newspaper or phone book pages.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I use a propane torch to start mesquite wood. Mesquite is best for a BBQ

Thats personal as all woods ad differing flavors.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

383 members (29aholic, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 204guy, 264mag, 47 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,204
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.