Home
Posted By: gemby58 need advice - 03/16/19
I just bought a 2016 Toyota Rav4, with 28000 miles on it, it was certified by Toyota and when they certified them they are suppose to be as good as new. From day one when we test drove it the air bag warning light was on, sales man said the part was ordered. they called us the next day and said it was fixed come pick it up. well the next day the light came on so ran it in to service. about a week later I was told it was fixed again that the seat belt connector moved alittle. When we picked it up from the dealership we started it up and guess what the light was on again so they kept it again. was they here for 5 days this time, they replaced the seat belt sensor. picked it up last wednesday and holy [bleep] that dang warning is on again plus now the seat belt warning alarm stays on the whole time even with everyone having there seat belts clipped. we owned it for 3 weeks and 13 days of it was in the shop and only four days of that was with the air bag warning light off. what would you do or say to the dealership on monday when you take it back in. thanks for you comments
Posted By: fgold767 Re: need advice - 03/16/19
Does Pa have lemon laws that would apply to used cars? I would think I would just say "here's the keys, where's my money at this point?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: need advice - 03/16/19
Probably why it was traded in.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: need advice - 03/16/19
Makes me wonder if it came from a flooded area.

I think I would demand my money back
Posted By: Blackheart Re: need advice - 03/16/19
I want my fuggin money back. NOW !
Posted By: gemby58 Re: need advice - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by fgold767
Does Pa have lemon laws that would apply to used cars? I would think I would just say "here's the keys, where's my money at this point?

told the service guy when I picked it up last time that if the light comes on again I want my old car back
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It was a leased vehicle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It was a leased vehicle
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Had the dealership do a search on it plus I also did a Carfax and it showed no issues that were reported

told the service guy when I picked it up last time that if the light comes on again I want my old car back

Pennsylvania does have a lemon law but I'm not sure if it covers used vehicles but I know it definitely covers new vehicles
Posted By: kid0917 Re: need advice - 03/16/19
get your $ back, buy a Honda
smile
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: need advice - 03/16/19
Dash lights keep the car more colorful and interesting

-Jake
Posted By: sawbuck Re: need advice - 03/16/19
I would take it to another dealership and have them run the vin in their system and go from there. Same with carfax, trust but verify.
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake

Yeah but that seat belt warning buzzer drives you up the wall
Posted By: mikieb Re: need advice - 03/16/19
I have a 2014 Rav4 with a salvage title... not a thing wrong with it... Not even a thing... dome light flickers once in a while...

Sure am glad I didn't buy one of them "certified" jobs
Posted By: joken2 Re: need advice - 03/16/19

https://repairpal.com/estimator/toyota/rav4/air-bag-crash-sensor-replacement-cost

The average cost for a Toyota RAV4 air bag crash sensor replacement is between $596 and $617. Labor costs are estimated between $35 and $56 while parts are priced at $561. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.
Note about price: The cost of this service or repair can vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Related repairs may also be needed.

What is an Air Bag Crash Sensor?

The crash sensor is the first line of detection in the event of a collision. It alerts the supplemental restraint system (SRS) of the impact, and the SRS control module will then decide which airbags should be deployed, if any. This is a small electronic switch, and there will be several placed in strategic locations around the vehicle. This ensures that the vehicle will recognize a collision from any direction.
How does an Air Bag Crash Sensor work?

In the event of a collision and if that collision is severe enough, the crash sensor, a.k.a. airbag sensor, will sense the sudden deceleration of the vehicle by forcing a connection inside the sensor. When this connection inside the sensor is forced, either by a cam or a metallic ball, the crash sensor will send a signal to the SRS computer, which, as mentioned, will detect passenger seating positions, where airbags are needed, lock the seat belts, shut off the engine, and deploy the airbags as needed.

What are the symptoms of a bad Air Bag Crash Sensor?

When an airbag sensor or crash sensor has failed, the airbag warning light, which differs by vehicle year, make and model, will illuminate, alerting the driver that there is an issue detected in the SRS system. In some instances, the check engine light may illuminate in conjunction with the airbag light. In this case, the vehicle would likely not crank or start until the trouble code is cleared, again, depending on year, make, and model. Lastly, airbag deployment is a major symptom of crash sensor function, but typically failure will not cause the airbags to be incapable of deployment.

Can I drive with a bad Air Bag Crash Sensor?

Driving a vehicle with a faulty airbag sensor means that the airbags will not function in the event of an accident. Not only is this extremely risky, but if the airbags are not operational the vehicle will not pass any state or federal inspections. Any time the airbag warning light is displayed, immediate action should be taken to correct the fault, but the vehicle will be able to drive until that issue is repaired.

How often do Air Bag Crash Sensors need replacement?

Airbags tend to fail for two reasons, and neither are predictable. Collisions with any object with enough mass to trip the airbag deployment sensor will likely necessitate replacement due to physical damage to the sensor. This can happen within one mile of ownership, or never at all. Secondly, and typically for older cars, vehicles in humid climates, or vehicles which are subject to road sale and corrosion, the crash sensors can become rusted. In the event the sensor becomes rusted, this rust and corrosion can cause a short or open circuit situation, causing the sensor to illuminate the airbag warning light. Again, this depends on age and operating environment.

How are Air Bag Crash Sensor issues diagnosed?

When diagnosing an airbag system, a physical inspection of the vehicle may be conducted first, if there is obvious damage or cause for concern. Generally speaking, the servicing technician will use a professional grade computerized scan tool with the ability to read and verify diagnostic codes and enhanced diagnostic trouble codes. This will generally direct the technician to the exact fault when working with the SRS system, however, further diagnostics may be required. For instance, if the vehicle has an issue with a crash sensor circuit, the technician will need to test the circuit, not just the crash sensor.

How are Air Bag Crash Sensors replaced?

Once a crash sensor has been identified and proven faulty, the battery will be disconnected, and obstructions like body panels, headlights, bumper covers, or interior trim will be removed, if not already, to access the failed crash sensor. The crash sensor will need to be dismounted and disconnected electrically, and the new crash sensor will be installed. Prior to reassembling any obstructing components, the system will be tested once again to verify the repair, and the vehicle can be reassembled and delivered to the customer.

RepairPal Recommendations for Air Bag Crash Sensor issues

We recommend using replacement crash sensors directly from the manufacture. This will ensure the part is correct, and that the part will be up to date with all design changes and improvements. Also, if a crash sensor has failed due to corrosion, the other crash sensors, especially in the same area of the vehicle, should be inspected for corrosion or rust as well, and replaced if necessary.

What to look out for when dealing with Air Bag Crash Sensor issues

It is extremely important that anyone servicing the SRS system, especially when servicing the components related to the airbags, has an excellent understanding of the system for that particular vehicle, and exercises all forms of caution and proper practice to minimize the risk of injury to persons or damage to the vehicle. The crash sensors main job is to cause the airbags to deploy, so any incorrect handling of the crash sensor or crash sensor circuit could potentially lead to the needless deployment of airbags and costs of repair.

Can I replace the Air Bag Crash Sensor myself?

Any portion of the SRS system is best left to a certified professional. Besides the risk of damage to the vehicle, airbags pose a great risk to personal safety if they are caused to deploy accidentally. Also, improper repairs of the SRS system can lead to the deactivation of airbags, which can result in exacerbation of injury in the event of a collision.

Posted By: slumlord Re: need advice - 03/16/19
Put a piece of black electrical tape over the warning light on the instrument panel

That's what I do on all my cars and trucks
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: need advice - 03/16/19
That works....IF you can get to the buzzer and cut it out of there too.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: need advice - 03/16/19
If I get in one of my work trucks and the check engine light wasn't on I'd worry. Tape is a good idea, or a bikini chick mini calendar the welding shops give out.
Posted By: tnscouter Re: need advice - 03/16/19
gemby58: I would return it. You have great uncertainty that the air bag will function properly and finding out it won't could be deadly. -tnscouter
I think I've been very patient with the dealership on trying to get this problem fixed but this is the third time it'll be in the shop for the same thing and it doesn't seem like they know what they're doing to fix it I heard on toad at tip that a airbag malfunction could also make the airbags to deploy prematurely, the dealership won't verify this but why would they
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: need advice - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake

Yeah but that seat belt warning buzzer drives you up the wall

That's the truth

-Jake
Is there any Pennsylvania car dealers in here that can verify a used certified vehicle is covered under the Lemon Law
Posted By: Limapapa Re: need advice - 03/16/19
If you really like the car, but are just frustrated with the problem, then let the dealer work on it a little more. Just make sure you get copies of all the service visits. Dont know what the specifics of Pennsylvania's Lemon Law, are, but typically 3 times in 30 days is enough. If you want out, that is the way to go. BTW, I personally think the Toyota Certified Used Warranty is great--gives you 40,000 miles more than the original factory warranty for a vehicle that sells at half the price of a new one. I bought a used Land Cruiser with 40K miles on it about 15 years ago, and the 100,000 mark has rolled over twice and close to a third time since then. Just make sure they don't con you into an "Extended" warranty.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: need advice - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by Limapapa
If you really like the car, but are just frustrated with the problem, then let the dealer work on it a little more. Just make sure you get copies of all the service visits. Dont know what the specifics of Pennsylvania's Lemon Law, are, but typically 3 times in 30 days is enough. If you want out, that is the way to go. BTW, I personally think the Toyota Certified Used Warranty is great--gives you 40,000 miles more than the original factory warranty for a vehicle that sells at half the price of a new one. I bought a used Land Cruiser with 40K miles on it about 15 years ago, and the 100,000 mark has rolled over twice and close to a third time since then. Just make sure they don't con you into an "Extended" warranty.

I agree three times is enough this is the fourth time it'll be in there, what's my way out?
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: need advice - 03/17/19
No Lemon Law for used cars. Take it back. Tell them you want your old car back and any money you’ve put out of pocket. If they refuse, go get a sheet of plywood and paint “Don’t buy here, they sell Lemons” with an arrow pointing towards the dealership. Park out front next to the road with a lawn chair. Set your sign up and wait. Won’t take but an hour (a few test drives from potential buyers) and the dealer will make it right. They don’t want the bad press.
This has to be fixed as there's other crazy things that go on like the heater you can have on low and it put out super hot air you can't control the temperature evidently that system that unit controls a lot more than just airbags and seatbelts
Posted By: RLA Re: need advice - 03/17/19
I would take it back to dealer for money back.
if they do not want to work with you, contact Toyota North America.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: need advice - 03/17/19
I’ve never seen an airbag warning light
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: need advice - 03/17/19
And don’t believe ANYTHING the salesman says
Originally Posted by RLA
I would take it back to dealer for money back.
if they do not want to work with you, contact Toyota North America.

oh they will work with me, they will want service to work on it for the forth time I will bet that, but after the first time it should have been fixed, I'm just glad i dont have to pay for it, they have a 30-day due slip if theres anything you dont like when you buy it.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’ve never seen an airbag warning light

I'll sell you a 2016 Rav4 with 28,000 miles with one on
Posted By: rong Re: need advice - 03/17/19
I would want to give it back.Even if they "fix" the problem,whats to say it wont be any issues after warranty is up.
Then you are on the hook.computer or something is obviously wonky.
My opinion is return it. ymmv
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: need advice - 03/17/19
Have you spoke to the manager? Look on their website and find the top cheese and have a sit down with him / her. Have a civil, but frank discussion about the matter. Getting your blood pressure up won’t help.

I’ve been there before and it sucks. I was going to eat a $1200 refrigerator a few years ago just to get some closure. I loaded it up and parked in front of the entrance doors at Lowe’s. Unstrapped it and dropped the tailgate before going in. That POS was not going back home with me come hell or high water. As luck would have it, the store manager was the first person I saw as I strolled in. I was short, direct and to the point. He made it right and I stayed off the 6 o’clock news.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: need advice - 03/17/19
Aunt Bea would be proud of you!
smile
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: need advice - 03/17/19
It's obvious the dealership is stalling because as was said in the one post, it's a relatively expensive fix to replace it. Just tell them to replace it or you want your money and old vehicle back.
have a game plan tomorrow, will go back into the dealership and ask for the general manager. plan on telling him this will be the forth time its here for the same thing in three week and less than 1000 miles on it. Its obvious that the service dept dont know what's wrong with it and they dont know how to fix it. I will tell him I dont feel safe in it and the seat belt warning buzzer staying on was the last draw. Even if they can fix it I'm not happy with the car and how do I know that it will not happen in the future where it's going to cost money out of my pocket, this sounds like a recall problem. Ill see what he will do to make it right, nice thing about him being a general manager that there is someone over him., the owner. thanks for all the advise
Posted By: Redneck Re: need advice - 03/17/19
DING!

I wouldn't think...... I'd demand..
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: need advice - 03/17/19
have a game plan tomorrow, will go back into the dealership and ask for the general manager. plan on telling him this will be the forth time its here for the same thing in three week and less than 1000 miles on it. Its obvious that the service dept dont know what's wrong with it and they dont know how to fix it. I will tell him I dont feel safe in it and the seat belt warning buzzer staying on was the last draw. Even if they can fix it I'm not happy with the car and how do I know that it will not happen in the future where it's going to cost money out of my pocket, this sounds like a recall problem. Ill see what he will do to make it right, nice thing about him being a general manager that there is someone over him., the owner. thanks for all the advise

That's the guy.

The General Manager. NOT the General Sales Manager.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by Redneck
DING!

I wouldn't think...... I'd demand..

it was a lease from the same area, no flood here. did a car fax on it to see if anything was reported dealing with the air bag, came back clean no reported issues on anything. It's hard to believe that this [bleep] just started up since being traded in
Posted By: Fubarski Re: need advice - 03/17/19

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: need advice - 03/18/19
Make sure you look on their website to find the top cheeses name. Otherwise you’ll get a random ‘manager’ who normally manages the little hockey pucks in the urinals, but today he’s dealership VP.
Posted By: KFWA Re: need advice - 03/18/19
this is how I solved the problem with the check engine light on my mitsubishi

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gemby58 Re: need advice - 03/19/19
UPDATE: when in and talked to the general manager of the car dealership. Said he would make it right, threw out 5 other 2016 Rav4, all with higher mileage, he had 1 with lower mileage a 2016 Rav4 hybrid. he said our car a 4 grand, I said our car even up for all the troubles an inconvenience. He stalled and went going to budge. So I said well we dont have a deal just give me my original car that I traded in for the piece of junk that they sold me and then refund all my money back and I'll go buy a Subaru. He started to walk away stopped turned around and came back and said okay we have a deal and shook my hand so I ended up with a 2016 RAV4 hybrid with 11,867 miles on where the car that I bought was a 2016 RAV4 with 29,128 miles both were certified
Posted By: Redneck Re: need advice - 03/19/19
Sounds good to me...
Posted By: 12344mag Re: need advice - 03/19/19
Good deal, I hope this one turns out OK for ya.
Posted By: Raeford Re: need advice - 03/19/19
Good to hear.
I have once mentioned that I would be getting in touch with the regional manufacturers rep upon leaving the dealership, that will always get their immediate attention[especially if they know they are in the wrong] as that person has the power to walk in and pull a dealership.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: need advice - 03/19/19
They knew they were in the wrong. You patience worked out good for you. A lesson for everyone here. No screaming and cursing.
Good on you. Hasbeen
© 24hourcampfire