Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13662424 03/16/19
G
gemby58 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I just bought a 2016 Toyota Rav4, with 28000 miles on it, it was certified by Toyota and when they certified them they are suppose to be as good as new. From day one when we test drove it the air bag warning light was on, sales man said the part was ordered. they called us the next day and said it was fixed come pick it up. well the next day the light came on so ran it in to service. about a week later I was told it was fixed again that the seat belt connector moved alittle. When we picked it up from the dealership we started it up and guess what the light was on again so they kept it again. was they here for 5 days this time, they replaced the seat belt sensor. picked it up last wednesday and holy [bleep] that dang warning is on again plus now the seat belt warning alarm stays on the whole time even with everyone having there seat belts clipped. we owned it for 3 weeks and 13 days of it was in the shop and only four days of that was with the air bag warning light off. what would you do or say to the dealership on monday when you take it back in. thanks for you comments

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Does Pa have lemon laws that would apply to used cars? I would think I would just say "here's the keys, where's my money at this point?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably why it was traded in.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Makes me wonder if it came from a flooded area.

I think I would demand my money back

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I want my fuggin money back. NOW !

IC B2

G
gemby58 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by fgold767
Does Pa have lemon laws that would apply to used cars? I would think I would just say "here's the keys, where's my money at this point?

told the service guy when I picked it up last time that if the light comes on again I want my old car back

G
gemby58 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It was a leased vehicle

G
gemby58 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It was a leased vehicle
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Makes me wonder if it came from a flooded area.

I think I would demand my money back

Had the dealership do a search on it plus I also did a Carfax and it showed no issues that were reported

G
gemby58 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

told the service guy when I picked it up last time that if the light comes on again I want my old car back

Pennsylvania does have a lemon law but I'm not sure if it covers used vehicles but I know it definitely covers new vehicles

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
get your $ back, buy a Honda
smile

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dash lights keep the car more colorful and interesting

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would take it to another dealership and have them run the vin in their system and go from there. Same with carfax, trust but verify.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
G
gemby58 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Dash lights keep the car more colorful and interesting

-Jake

Yeah but that seat belt warning buzzer drives you up the wall

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a 2014 Rav4 with a salvage title... not a thing wrong with it... Not even a thing... dome light flickers once in a while...

Sure am glad I didn't buy one of them "certified" jobs

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

https://repairpal.com/estimator/toyota/rav4/air-bag-crash-sensor-replacement-cost

The average cost for a Toyota RAV4 air bag crash sensor replacement is between $596 and $617. Labor costs are estimated between $35 and $56 while parts are priced at $561. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.
Note about price: The cost of this service or repair can vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Related repairs may also be needed.

What is an Air Bag Crash Sensor?

The crash sensor is the first line of detection in the event of a collision. It alerts the supplemental restraint system (SRS) of the impact, and the SRS control module will then decide which airbags should be deployed, if any. This is a small electronic switch, and there will be several placed in strategic locations around the vehicle. This ensures that the vehicle will recognize a collision from any direction.
How does an Air Bag Crash Sensor work?

In the event of a collision and if that collision is severe enough, the crash sensor, a.k.a. airbag sensor, will sense the sudden deceleration of the vehicle by forcing a connection inside the sensor. When this connection inside the sensor is forced, either by a cam or a metallic ball, the crash sensor will send a signal to the SRS computer, which, as mentioned, will detect passenger seating positions, where airbags are needed, lock the seat belts, shut off the engine, and deploy the airbags as needed.

What are the symptoms of a bad Air Bag Crash Sensor?

When an airbag sensor or crash sensor has failed, the airbag warning light, which differs by vehicle year, make and model, will illuminate, alerting the driver that there is an issue detected in the SRS system. In some instances, the check engine light may illuminate in conjunction with the airbag light. In this case, the vehicle would likely not crank or start until the trouble code is cleared, again, depending on year, make, and model. Lastly, airbag deployment is a major symptom of crash sensor function, but typically failure will not cause the airbags to be incapable of deployment.

Can I drive with a bad Air Bag Crash Sensor?

Driving a vehicle with a faulty airbag sensor means that the airbags will not function in the event of an accident. Not only is this extremely risky, but if the airbags are not operational the vehicle will not pass any state or federal inspections. Any time the airbag warning light is displayed, immediate action should be taken to correct the fault, but the vehicle will be able to drive until that issue is repaired.

How often do Air Bag Crash Sensors need replacement?

Airbags tend to fail for two reasons, and neither are predictable. Collisions with any object with enough mass to trip the airbag deployment sensor will likely necessitate replacement due to physical damage to the sensor. This can happen within one mile of ownership, or never at all. Secondly, and typically for older cars, vehicles in humid climates, or vehicles which are subject to road sale and corrosion, the crash sensors can become rusted. In the event the sensor becomes rusted, this rust and corrosion can cause a short or open circuit situation, causing the sensor to illuminate the airbag warning light. Again, this depends on age and operating environment.

How are Air Bag Crash Sensor issues diagnosed?

When diagnosing an airbag system, a physical inspection of the vehicle may be conducted first, if there is obvious damage or cause for concern. Generally speaking, the servicing technician will use a professional grade computerized scan tool with the ability to read and verify diagnostic codes and enhanced diagnostic trouble codes. This will generally direct the technician to the exact fault when working with the SRS system, however, further diagnostics may be required. For instance, if the vehicle has an issue with a crash sensor circuit, the technician will need to test the circuit, not just the crash sensor.

How are Air Bag Crash Sensors replaced?

Once a crash sensor has been identified and proven faulty, the battery will be disconnected, and obstructions like body panels, headlights, bumper covers, or interior trim will be removed, if not already, to access the failed crash sensor. The crash sensor will need to be dismounted and disconnected electrically, and the new crash sensor will be installed. Prior to reassembling any obstructing components, the system will be tested once again to verify the repair, and the vehicle can be reassembled and delivered to the customer.

RepairPal Recommendations for Air Bag Crash Sensor issues

We recommend using replacement crash sensors directly from the manufacture. This will ensure the part is correct, and that the part will be up to date with all design changes and improvements. Also, if a crash sensor has failed due to corrosion, the other crash sensors, especially in the same area of the vehicle, should be inspected for corrosion or rust as well, and replaced if necessary.

What to look out for when dealing with Air Bag Crash Sensor issues

It is extremely important that anyone servicing the SRS system, especially when servicing the components related to the airbags, has an excellent understanding of the system for that particular vehicle, and exercises all forms of caution and proper practice to minimize the risk of injury to persons or damage to the vehicle. The crash sensors main job is to cause the airbags to deploy, so any incorrect handling of the crash sensor or crash sensor circuit could potentially lead to the needless deployment of airbags and costs of repair.

Can I replace the Air Bag Crash Sensor myself?

Any portion of the SRS system is best left to a certified professional. Besides the risk of damage to the vehicle, airbags pose a great risk to personal safety if they are caused to deploy accidentally. Also, improper repairs of the SRS system can lead to the deactivation of airbags, which can result in exacerbation of injury in the event of a collision.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Put a piece of black electrical tape over the warning light on the instrument panel

That's what I do on all my cars and trucks

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
That works....IF you can get to the buzzer and cut it out of there too.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If I get in one of my work trucks and the check engine light wasn't on I'd worry. Tape is a good idea, or a bikini chick mini calendar the welding shops give out.

Last edited by jackmountain; 03/16/19.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gemby58: I would return it. You have great uncertainty that the air bag will function properly and finding out it won't could be deadly. -tnscouter

G
gemby58 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think I've been very patient with the dealership on trying to get this problem fixed but this is the third time it'll be in the shop for the same thing and it doesn't seem like they know what they're doing to fix it I heard on toad at tip that a airbag malfunction could also make the airbags to deploy prematurely, the dealership won't verify this but why would they

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,984
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.