Home
I mean what they put in vehicles as spares. Prob’ly some good stories out there.
Nothing I have ever driven has had one...

Maybe a rent car. Not sure, but I didn't need it.
About 5 miles @ 55 , only then because the real tire couldn't be pumped up , it was damaged beyond repair. I rode the donut to the tire shop & got a new tire.
I don't like them donuts , at all.
Real tires are full size.
Real donuts come from Krispy Kreme & are made to be et , not rode on.

Mike
Originally Posted by 6mm250
About 5 miles @ 55 , only then because the real tire couldn't be pumped up , it was damaged beyond repair. I rode the donut to the tire shop & got a new tire.
I don't like them donuts , at all.
Real tires are full size.
Real donuts come from Krispy Kreme & are made to be et , not rode on.

Mike

Donut tires will slow you down and tie your guts in knots. KK's will kill you outright.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Donut tires will slow you down and tie your guts in knots. KK's will kill you outright.

I don't eat them KKs very often so I guess I will die a slow , agonizing death.

Maybe I should eat them more often & get it over with ?

Mike
Über donuts be from Round Rock.
Break down and buy a set of tires😂
Aren't those donut tires smaller in diameter than what comes on the car? Wouldn't they screw up an all wheel drive or posi differential?
Originally Posted by Windfall
Aren't those donut tires smaller in diameter than what comes on the car? Wouldn't they screw up an all wheel drive or posi differential?
Yes they will.
Negroes in Tn try to get 20,000 miles out of them. laugh

I seen a hooptie in Penicillin Village with 3 donuts it it. crazy

Brokedicks can get them from a junkyard for $10-15 and keep on rollin. 👍
Originally Posted by slumlord
Negroes in Tn try to get 20,000 miles out of them. laugh

I seen a hooptie in Penicillin Village with 3 donuts it it. crazy

Brokedicks can get them from a junkyard for $10-15 and keep on rollin. 👍

I figured that had to be happening. Seen lots of old beaters around here but never more’n one donut on long term. Always in back.
Originally Posted by viking

‘Nother 18 months and I’ll get a set with a new vehicle attached wink
laugh never had a vehicle with a donut spare, if I had, I'd buy a regular wheel and tire then find somewhere on that vehicle to stow it, same/same for the boygeorge scissor jacks, in the trash pile, a good bottle jack, with a block of wood and a 4-way lugwrench.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I mean what they put in vehicles as spares. Prob’ly some good stories out there.

Can’t recall ever using one. Our previous cars with “donuts” where quickly changed to “real” spares, if at all possible! memtb
Blew the whole tread off a 10 ply on a duramax. Run on the hull from Freer to George West. Took it easy did not want to unload the truck to change a tire. Hasbeen
My van has a donut. In 150k miles, I've never needed the spare. I do keep good tires on it but I've been very lucky to have never hit something in the road.
If you do need one, put it on the non-powered end of the car so it won't screw up the differential.
Shipley’s makes some good doughnuts. I don’t have to roll to far to get some. We have one in town now.
No donut for me. Much easier to call that 800 number on my AAA card than mess up a differential. That inflating attachment on my old scuba tank has come in real handy for a nail slow leak to get me or others to a tire shop to get a tire fixed property. Last year a sharp piece of concrete fell off a truck on I-65 in Indiana and four cars hit it, ours included. Luckily I swerved and got it with the back tire instead of the front. Blew out the tire and bent the rim up into the control arm. No way I was going to hang myself out next to the Interstate to change a wheel and tire. $500. wheel, $200. tire, tow and hotel over night made that an expensive chunk of concrete.
Full size rims are available.
But a full sized tire won't fit in the spare compartment on many cars.
chit my stepson drove around on one for weeks
Years ago a friend rolled on one for a couple weeks but only back & forth to work which wasn't very far. I never had a vehicle with a spare like that and don't think I ever would.
When I was a teenager my dad had an 89 Nissan pickup with 5 speed manual. It had a flat and we had to put the donut spare on. I loved it because I could power break it and do Smokey burnouts much easier with that little dinky tire on. One evening of that grenaded the spider gears in the rear end. We had to change out the entire rear axle.
Originally Posted by viking

‘Nother 18 months and I’ll get a set with a new vehicle attached wink

What happens in 18 months?
FREEEEDOMMM!!!!!
Never used one myself.
One night I was cruising down 81 in the right lane and saw 4 way flashers a long ways back in the left lane. I was going about 65 or 70, flow of traffic.
They caught and passed me with a donut spare on the right front.
At least they thought it'd be safer with the flashers.
7mm
Originally Posted by stxhunter
chit my stepson drove around on one for weeks

They prob’ly field-tested them at 100mph and a few thousand miles when they invented em. So if you cratered a tire out past Fort Stockton or somewhere late at night, I expect one could roll on the donut till morning, long as it wasn’t on the drive wheel.
I don't use 'em on my truck at all, since the spare is full sized, but I have used them when necessary on a car. No more than about 50mph, and no further than I have to.
However, I did build a trailer in California with hub spindles for full sized car tires, not trailer tires. I then when to the local "you-pull-it" wrecking yard and picked up a dozen free donut tires on rims to fit. They come in with every vehicle, and take up space the wrecking yard would rather use for parts that sell. They gave 'em away for free, so I had free tires for the life of the trailer.
Realistically, how many drivers today know which end of the car is the drive end? I'll bet less than 10% of the drivers know to put a donut on the right end.
Only once - and it was about 40 miles total (wife's car).. Nice thing about a truck is that it has a full-sized spare tire..
Realistically, how many drivers today know which end of the car is the drive end? I'll bet less than 10% of the drivers know to put a donut on the right end.

I do now, but I’ve never used a donut on a rear wheel drive vehicle, I just moved a tire up from in back if the flat was in front, put the donut on in back.
Do you own anything that isn't a complete POS?
See them all too often around here, people going 80 mph on the expressways with them!
There was a duo staring at a flat tire outside my house the other day. First I walked past but after a couple more beers I walked outside to find them still staring at the tire. I asked "Do you need help?"

You'd have thought I just walked off Mt. Sinai with some stone tablets.
I've driven several hundred miles on one when I've had a flat on a trip in the middle of the night with no place to get it fixed. I didn't slow down either, regular interstate speed until I got home.

They're not going to mess up your differential either, that's BS. Maybe it would wear out the clutches if you put one on a 68 chevelle with positraction but it's not going to hurt your Honda Civic.
My daughter had to drive from Palmer to Fairbanks on one several years ago. A Sunday and no open shops. She set the cruise at the spare tire speed limit and rolled 300+ miles. The good thing is she increased her MPG by more than 30%.
The Highlander we bought in January had one. I bought a full size rim on ebay and had a tire mounted on it for our spare.
Nobody in my family rolls on a donut optional vehicle.

Buy a rim and a tire.

Then again, if you can't afford four decent tires to begin with, this probably isn't an option.
Last week, my wife blew a tire about 9 pm in Salida Colorado. No tire stores open, so we drive the 77 miles back home and then another 30 to Colorado Springs the next day. I stopped twice to snug up the lug nuts.
Put 4 donuts on and you got a Lowrider.

I miss my 1989 Grand Marquis... smile [Linked Image]
They should hang the guy that came up with the idea of the donut spare.
Originally Posted by deflave
Do you own anything that isn't a complete POS?

Sure. The usual stuff.

My firearms.
My knives.
My tools
My bicycles.
My clothes.
My boots and shoes.
My binoculars.
My 1835 odds and ends.
My modern camping gear.

Both Toyotas are paid off and start every time I turn the key. Are Toyotas EVER POSes?

I got two good dogs too.

All I have run for years now are Suburbans and 3/4 ton or heavier pickups. None come with a donut. All are 4 wheel drive, so the savvy traveler makes sure the spare is the same size as the primaries. I also carry a hi-lift jack, bottle jack, wood blocks, and a plug kit and air compressor. One can fix a lot of what ails a tire with a good plug kit and an onboard or plug in compressor.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nothing I have ever driven has had one...

Maybe a rent car. Not sure, but I didn't need it.

Me either, but I fueled an outboard motor on two gallons of straight Coleman fuel one time. It was a really good motor up to that point.
Neighbor down the road has a junk yard. They put donuts on the quads they use to run for parts for customers. They have thousands of them, get a flat, put a new one on. They welded up some plates to mount on the quads to make them fit.
Never used one.
Speaking of non-POS items, a couple of years back I lost an exact copy of an early 19th Century “Cross L” British trade knife, made on order by a historical blade smith up in New England.

These mass-produced Sheffield “scalping” knives were the everyday knives in America long before Green River got up to speed in the 1850’s. Didn’t look like much; thin single-edged blade, but a good talking point before segueing into talking about Bowie knives at the Alamo. Lost it about two years back, fell out of its sheath. I was seriously bummed out, it weren’t the cost so much as it was the uniqueness of the piece and the difficulty of replacing it with another of like quality.

Pulled up the trunk floor mat Saturday morning and there it was laying next to the donut smile

I was happy.
Broke ass people start peculiar threads.

Birdwatcher's next one.

"Mustard on ramen noodles!,..I like it! Do you?
1) Two pints grape tomatoes at $1.08 a pint. Two large handfuls of shredded Mozzarella cheese. Microwave in a covered dish for five minutes. Seriously good.

2) Seven or eight white corn tortillas to cover a 10” paper plate, cover liberally with shredded Mozzarella or Monterrey Jack, Break one organic free-range egg on the middle. Microwave under a cover for four minutes. Roll it up as soon as it ain’t too hot to touch. Bring it for lunch.

3) 24oz cup, fill half way with raw oatmeal, other half with some whole grain type cereal. Add organic whole milk, eat it like cereal.

4) Green tea, strong as you can make it, sweetened with whole milk. Gentlest but longest-lasting caffeine buzz there is. I drink 48 to 72oz a day, depending on how much sleep I lost.

5) Liberty Creek Merlot, 3L a week, drunk on the front porch at the end of the day.

What I do every week.

Both Toyotas are paid off and start every time I turn the key. Are Toyotas EVER POSes?

You're too old to ask this question.
1) Two pints grape tomatoes at $1.08 a pint. Two large handfuls of shredded Mozzarella cheese. Microwave in a covered dish for five minutes. Seriously good.

2) Seven or eight white corn tortillas to cover a 10” paper plate, cover liberally with shredded Mozzarella or Monterrey Jack, Break one organic free-range egg on the middle. Microwave under a cover for four minutes. Roll it up as soon as it ain’t too hot to touch. Bring it for lunch.

3) 24oz cup, fill half way with raw oatmeal, other half with some whole grain type cereal. Add organic whole milk, eat it like cereal.

4) Green tea, strong as you can make it, sweetened with whole milk. Gentlest but longest-lasting caffeine buzz there is. I drink 48 to 72oz a day, depending on how much sleep I lost.

5) Liberty Creek Merlot, 3L a week, drunk on the front porch at the end of the day.

What I do every day.

Forgot to include, I got a thing for blueberries even since they were just what I needed one day when I was dragging on that 2,000 mile bike ride to NY. So if there in the store I’ll alway get at least a pint even tho we’re talking Chile or Peru much of the year. Whatever the cheapest bag of oranges is too.

In school I keep a stash of canned peas and cheap canned tuna in water. I used to eat canned sweet corn too but they add a lot of sugar. These things I will eat cold out of the cans if I get hungry; quick, no mess.

Works fer me.
Forgot to include, I got a thing for blueberries even since they were just what I needed one day when I was dragging on that 2,000 mile bike ride to NY. So if there in the store I’ll alway get at least a pint even tho we’re talking Chile or Peru much of the year. Whatever the cheapest bag of oranges is too.

In school I keep a stash of canned peas and cheap canned tuna in water. I used to eat canned sweet corn too but they add a lot of sugar. These things I will eat cold out of the cans if I get hungry; quick, no mess.

Works fer me.

You're gay.

We get it.
Thanks fer the video, but those guys are way-over complicating things.
Hell, just about every other car driven by a groid around here has a donut on it.
My last rental didn’t even have a spare. Just a compressor full of goop. Ford sucks...
"Hey the belts are poking through on my 15 year old Douglas All-Seasons. Who want some fugkin' blueberries?"
Can’t even remember the last tire problem I had, which is why I lucked-out with the donut still holding air after years of being forgotten about. Having a tread fly off was a first for me. I got lucky, it beat the crap out of the underside of the rear quarter panel but ya don’t see it unless you look under there.

Wheel well still intact, judging by the rubber marks on the side of the body I coulda broke a window too. I sure am grateful to Toyota for building stuff that lasts. They have saved me a bunch of money in these past couple of years of financial hardship.

Driving along doing 80 about 5am.....

BANGflopflopflopflopflop......

.....serious fishtailing too, I think I woulda lost it if it had been up front. The tire still held air on the bare chords so I limped it down the shoulder to the next exit.
© 24hourcampfire