Home
You see these old houses in ruins around in this part of the country. But this one has been restored and updated very well. It sets on an acre of land. I checked it out and thought about getting it. But in the end I couldn't pull the trigger on it. I would have bought it as investment property and rented it out,...and I couldn't get used to the idea of putting renters in the place.

Still,...it would be interesting to own a house that's less than 20 years younger than the country.

Somebody will scoop this place.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea..._Georgetown_KY_40324_M30479-94381#photo0
Thanks for the link. I just bought it.
I dont like it....the "updates" anyway.

Cant tell if its vintage or modern. Sort of a messy mix of both.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Thanks for the link. I just bought it.

You better call quick. They're having an open house today. It'll probably be sold in a few hours,..if it isn't already.
I will need to sell one or two of my rifles to pay for it, though.
One big reason I decided against getting it is because I would have wanted to live in it and rented this place out. Which would have entailed moving for the second time in less than 2 years,...lots of commotion.

Still,...I'm going to feel regret when it sells.

A young family member just accepted a job in New Jersey and had to pay $315,000 for a basic 1000 sq ft starter home up there.

Considering what people are paying for houses around the country (many in places where I'd refuse to live) properties around here are a steal,..and these don't come on the market very often. In fact, it's the first one I've seen around here in livable condition that's for sale.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
One big reason I decided against getting it is because I would have wanted to live in it and rented this place out. Which would have entailed moving for the second time in less than 2 years,...lots of commotion.

Still,...I'm going to feel regret when it sells.

A young family member just accepted a job in New Jersey and had to pay $315,000 for a basic 1000 sq ft starter home up there.

Considering what people are paying for houses around the country (many in places where I'd refuse to live) properties around here are a steal.

Absolutely.
I agree.

That house would have been that or more up here.....with a lot fewer prospects.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yep they ruined that house
Everything always depends on location, but that is a honey.

Also it is close to, but not IN, town.

I'll have to post some pix of my new old log cabin, originally built way out of town as a hunting lodge. We are in the process of moving in.

Norm
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

Yep they ruined that house

I don't know why you'd say that. The Kitchen and bathrooms are contemporary. But the rest of the house has been brought back to nearly original condition.

,..and who wants to live in a house with 18th century kitchen and bathrooms?

That would get old in a hurry.
Originally Posted by Anjin
Everything always depends on location, but that is a honey.

It's in a very decent location.
Is it on the National Register of Historical buildings? That can be a red flag. I'd never buy a property on that register. There are very strict regulations on what you can do with your own property. They even control the type and color of paint you can use on your walls. If it's on it, it was probably added after many of those updates were done.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Is it on the National Register of Historical buildings? That can be a red flag. I'd never buy a property on that register. There are very strict regulations on what you can do with your own property. They even control the type and color of paint you can use on your walls.

That's true enough. But I seriously doubt if the restrictions are all that tight out here. It's a BGT (Bluegrass Trust) house.

For the most part, I think the people who run that show are happy if somebody restores one of these old houses. Most of them are beyond repair.
Buy it for when the ‘Flave comes to visit.
In Lexington, the people who overlook the houses in the historic district are nuts. I'd never get involved with a historic house in Lexington.

But things like that are much more relaxed out here in the country.

Just WOW.

Going through the photos made our day.

Blessings,

Steve
Is it on the National Register of Historical buildings? That can be a red flag. I'd never buy a property on that register. There are very strict regulations on what you can do with your own property. They even control the type and color of paint you can use on your walls.

That's true enough. But I seriously doubt if the restrictions are all that tight out here. It's a BGT (Bluegrass Trust) house.

For the most part, I think the people who run that show are happy if somebody restores one of these old houses. Most of them are beyond repair.

The national is not that strict. We have two of them in the area I live in and know both owners. They have done a bunch of upgrades to both houses without having to ask for permission. If I could pick that house up and move it to a different location that would be a very cool house to live in.
That’s a neat old house!!
On the wildlife management area where The Mrs. and I deer hunt, there is a red brick house, the Richard Wood mansion, that was built in 1700! Long vacant but still almost completely intact, and ol' Mr. Wood himself is buried behind it in a small plot, also walled in with red bricks. After first discovering it, I googled the place and found two "ghost hunter" videos about it on youtube. What a joke they were! Still I love the place, you can just feel yourself immersed in history there.
I see where they've accepted an offer with contingency. (which means that somebody has to sell their current house first)

I didn't think it would last through the day.
When ya moving out?
lol,...I didn't buy it. I'm always on the lookout for an investment property to put my old age funds into. But like I said. I wouldn't be able to buy that house without living in it myself,....and I'm not up to moving again.
You was bitching about the cost of an old assed tractor a few months ago....now you are in the market for a investment property??

What have you been growing with your old assed tractor?????
You was bitching about the cost of an old assed tractor a few months ago....now you are in the market for a investment property??

lol,...old ass tractors aren't investments. They're toys.

I've got different limits on what I'll spend on toys and what I'll spend on investments.

Besides,....somebody else pays for investment property. You just scratch 20% down out of your old age funds and let the renters pay the rest.

Old ass tractors get paid for outta my pocket.
You see these old houses in ruins around in this part of the country. But this one has been restored and updated very well. It sets on an acre of land. I checked it out and thought about getting it. But in the end I couldn't pull the trigger on it. I would have bought it as investment property and rented it out,...and I couldn't get used to the idea of putting renters in the place.

Still,...it would be interesting to own a house that's less than 20 years younger than the country.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea..._Georgetown_KY_40324_M30479-94381#photo0

If it only had a sweet treehouse tacked up in that tree.
Is it on the National Register of Historical buildings? That can be a red flag. I'd never buy a property on that register. There are very strict regulations on what you can do with your own property. They even control the type and color of paint you can use on your walls. If it's on it, it was probably added after many of those updates were done.

Ha!

I knew of a house in the middle of an 1125 acre field. It was on the Natl Register, The lease operator bulldozed that place and and all the out buildings so he could get another 4 acres of tillable tow crop. 😄

Wasnt much more than an 1800 century fuggshop for the local mennonites during rumspringa anyway.
Only problem is it is in the Bermuda Triangle of Intelligence. Paris, Georgetown and Cynthiana.

LOL.
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Only problem is it is in the Bermuda Triangle of Intelligence. Paris, Georgetown and Cynthiana.

Caucasians as far as the eye can see.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

LOL.

Mostly, I've been grading some neighbors gravel driveways and pulling some overgrown shrubs out of their yards with it.

Sometimes I just drive it up and down the road and wave at people. People like to wave at you when you're on a shiny old 8N.

No so much when you're on a 650 Burgman.

My house was built less than 50 years after that one. I tell my kids that Abe lincoln was in the same grade they are when it was built!

Its not period correct at all, and dozens of decades of refurbs etc have made things... interesting.

You are right, its neat, and someone WILL scoop that up.

What about those towns makes it a problem ?
Originally Posted by gunzo

What about those towns makes it a problem ?

I haven't figured it out either. G-town and Cynthiana are two of my favorites town in Central Ky. Paris,...not so much. But it's not terrible. Just not as nice as Georgetown and Cynthiana.
I have fond memories of running with the Cynthiana crowd back when I was between wives back about 25 years ago,...especially a couple of the women.
Whew! I had to do the math. I was between wives a tic over 30 years ago. Glad you & I haven't shared any hillbilly gravy.
Originally Posted by gunzo
Whew! I had to do the math. I was between wives a tic over 30 years ago. Glad you & I haven't shared any hillbilly gravy.

lol,....I'm sure we're familiar with a lot of the same people.
So, thinking hilljack must be up a holler down around Fisty Ky. & wonderin about Paris Ky.

If I lived in Fisty, Paris might be a step up. Maybe not.
The part that would trouble me is it sits on only 1 point something acres. What happens when the neighbor subdivides and a neighborhood crowds in?
My house is much newer, 1892, but the principles the same. Old period correct houses are not comfortable to live in, you can have period correct or you can have running water but not both. I like what they've done with it, it's beautiful and comfortable at the same time.

It can be a museum or it can be a home, but it can't be both.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The part that would trouble me is it sits on only 1 point something acres. What happens when the neighbor subdivides and a neighborhood crowds in?

Subdivision will eventually happen out here. But not anytime soon. Now you can't build on less than 5 acres. I can only assume that the old house was cut off with one acre before that law came into being.
© 24hourcampfire