Home
Posted By: RockyRaab By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
My annual tribute to our fallen brethren.

One Fewer

I first saw him hobbling down the aisle of a small gun show. He was obviously of advanced age: white-haired, frail and walking with a pronounced limp, his bony left hand grasping one of those spiral thornwood canes that look like a kudu’s horn. It was that cane that caught my attention – without it, the man would have been invisible.

His pained but determined pace picked up when he neared a table only two away from mine. The table’s owner displayed military battle rifles. The old gent stopped there, but I became distracted by customers of my own and did not notice him again.

The promoter held two shows a year in that small town, and I became a regular vendor. After that first time, I started noticing the old gentleman at every show. He always carried that magnificently polished, deep brown cane. He always went steadfastly to that same dealer’s table. He always came on Sunday morning when the crowds were thin.

Clearly not well off financially, the old man’s clothes never varied. His shoes were of brown leather, the toes curled up from age, deep cracks at the toe bend and the heels worn to a smooth curve; but they were always carefully brushed to a soft luster. His slacks were khaki cotton, a semblance of a crease still showing down the front of each leg, with an irregular outline on one thigh that bespoke of a liquid stain long ago acquired. His sports jacket was dark brown wool, its herringbone pattern all but obliterated by age. Its pockets sagged as if he’d once limped home –in a driving rain- with oranges in them. The dulled and faded miniature of a military ribbon adorned the jacket’s left lapel. Under the jacket he always wore a white shirt so thin his sleeveless undershirt showed through. On his Western-style bolo tie, a walnut-sized, blood-red stone mirrored the man’s jutting Adam’s apple. Raising the stooped figure to perhaps five-feet six, a grey fedora hat rode. Now battered, sweat-stained and misshapen, the hat characterized him as much as the liver spots on his pallid, papery skin.

I was able to catalog such small details because of his laborious gait. He’d plant the tightly clutched cane, then half-shuffle, half-slide his crippled left leg forward, and finally his still-spry right: tap, drag, step; tap, drag, step. Just watching him brought a dull empathetic ache to my hips and knees.

Neither his appearance nor his habits ever varied: he’d hobble past my table, spend a few minutes in front of the rifle collector’s display, then leave, unnoticed.

And then, one time, he failed to appear.

Just before the show ended that Sunday afternoon, I ambled over to the rifle table. On one end were a few P-17 Enfields and Springfields, a couple SMLE’s, one or two ’98 Mausers and an Arisaka. At the other end were several .30 M-1 carbines, a Garand and even a rare Johnson rifle. It was interesting stuff, but I really wanted to ask about the old man.

“I heard he passed away last month,” the dealer said. “I’ll miss him.” He shook his head ruefully and looked down.

“You know anything about him? Your table was the only one he ever visited, as far as I saw.”

“Not much. But it wasn’t my table that he visited. It was this,” he said, pointing to the Garand.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, it’s like this…the first few times he came by, I tried to wait on him. But he never spoke a word – like I wasn’t even there. He’d walk up, stand there a bit, and then he’d lightly touch the Garand. With just his fingertips, as though it was his lover or something, you know? Then one time I said, ‘You seem like you know that rifle. Carry one in the Army?’ He shook his head a little and kept right on caressing that rifle’s stock, but he said ‘Marines.’

“So then I looked at him a little closer. You know that little blue pin in his lapel? That’s the Navy Cross, and it’s the highest they give except for the Medal of Honor. And so I had to ask him where he got it, and he finally looked up at me. His eyes were brimming, as if some nightmare just came back to him, and he choked out one word: ‘Tarawa.’

“After that, I’d sell any rifle on the table, except that Garand. It would have killed him if I had. I never will sell it, now.” He stood silently for a second, then concluded, “Those two spoken words and that ribbon are all I know about that old man, but they’re all I need to know.”

As if drawn to it, I stroked the stock of the Garand and whispered, “Thank you.” I’m not sure if I said it to the dealer, or that rifle, or the hovering spirit of that departed hero. Maybe all three. But I meant it.

A note: I read recently that as many as 2,000 veterans of World War II pass away every single day. That’s more than were lost on many days of the war. If you know or even meet a veteran from that conflict, thank them from the bottom of your heart…while you still can.

Printed in “The Big Show Journal” May/June 2005 © Copyright Rocky Raab 2005

Permission to reprint in full (with author credit and copyright notice) is granted.
Posted By: hanco Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thank you for posting that!!!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thanks for posting that. My dad was a Marine in WWII. He spoke very fondly of his Garand.
Posted By: CRS Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thank you
Posted By: mart Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Must be some dust or pollen in the air. My eyes are watering.

Thank you for that story.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thanks for that. My tear ducts needed a rinse.
Posted By: Morewood Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Excellent.

*honk*
Posted By: hatari Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Powerful!
Posted By: Brazos Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thank you
Posted By: Fugawe Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thanks for posting this.
That was a true act of kindness.
Little dusty around here.
Posted By: 44mc Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
good post thank you
Posted By: 4xbear Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Some men, like my father spoke only of the conical things they experienced during the two Wars he fought in.some said very little or Nothing at All. To me they both speak volumes. Thank you for posting that.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Great story. Thanks for posting. And many thanks to that Marine.

Battle of Tarawa
Rocky, I was hoping you'd post this, and as usual, you didn't disappoint. We are so lucky to have reaped the rewards of the hard work and sacrifice of all our military men and women. My deepest thanks to each and every one.
Posted By: Dutch Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Rocky, I was hoping you'd post this, and as usual, you didn't disappoint. We are so lucky to have reaped the rewards of the hard work and sacrifice of all our military men and women. My deepest thanks to each and every one.

+1
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
My uncle piloted a navy landing craft on Tarawa, hauling the marines to shore. He was only 19 at the time. Who knows, their paths might have crossed.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thank you for posting...
Posted By: 22250rem Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thanks, Rocky..... Every time I read that it reminds me of the time in 2007 when I handed my M-1 to one of my 80 something uncles, who had carried one as a young marine in the latter stages of the Pacific Theater. It was the first time he had seen one in person since about 1945. He spoke highly of it and began to recall all the details of it that he thought he had forgotten until he actually had one in his hands again. It was something I'll never forget. He passed 3 years later and the American Legion post did a rifle salute at his graveside service using M-1's. I thought it very fitting.
Posted By: SGT26 Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thank you for posting that sir ! Made my day..................
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Thank you for posting that!
Great post!!!
Posted By: g5m Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
I think all the World War 2 vets I've known or have met are gone now. We are poorer for their loss.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My uncle piloted a navy landing craft on Tarawa, hauling the marines to shore. He was only 19 at the time. Who knows, their paths might have crossed.

my brother in law, now deceased, did the same thing at the same place. He was also active on shore, but i never asked him how that came to be.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/26/19
Great post RR,
Thank God for all the good men from that generation.

I hope he may RIP - surely well deserved....................
Originally Posted by g5m
I think all the World War 2 vets I've known or have met are gone now. We are poorer for their loss.

Yes we are. The article was posted in 2005. I'm sure that we're not losing 2,000 a day now!
A sincere Thank You to all the veterans that have gone before us !
Happy Memorial Day !
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/27/19
No, Keith. You are sadly correct. Most WWII veterans would be pushing 95 now. Most of them have joined their brothers in arms. All of Doolittle's Raiders are gone, the last one passing just this year. My parents (both were Army, and Dad drove a deuce and a half in the Battle of the Bulge) are long gone.

Slow salute for all...
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/27/19
Thank you for sharing

-Jake
My dad very likely survived the war because the coxwain on his invasion landing craft made a mistake. On D Day Dad's squad was supposed to land adjacent to a point of land sticking out off the beach. Fortunately, the boat went to the wrong point. The spot they were supposed to have gone in was heavily defended, and those men took very heavy casualties. Dad's unit was to take an airfield inland from the beach, but they went in several miles from their point of debarkation. They found the airfield when they saw British aircraft landing on it.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/27/19
A lot of marines on Tarawa got shot up because of someone's stupid mistake. They were supposed to go in at high tide as sand bars were a big problem at low tide. Someone misread the tide tables and sent them in at low tide. The boats were getting hung up on sandbars and were sitting ducks for the Japs mortars.
Posted By: BigPine Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/27/19
Thank you. In a few minutes I’m heading to a Memorial Service at our local cemetery , we have 3 WW II veterans who still participate in the services. One who was at Guadalcanal .watching them stand at attention and hearing Taps brings me to tears every time .
Posted By: Sako76 Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/27/19
My wife's uncle, Frank Horvath from North Arlington, New Jersey (all 5'6" of him) was wounded at Guadalcanal in 1942 and again at Iwo Jima in 1945. He walked with a permanent limp after taking an unfired .50 cal shell to the hip after a Jap motor blew up an ammo storage area at Iwo Jima. It must have been a tough 3 years between those two battles. He never talked about the war and I only found out about the two Purple Hearts when I went to his funeral and they were pinned on his casket. RIP Uncle Frank!
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/27/19
Thank you for posting that, sir.

Sadly, there are not many left from the Greatest Generation.

MM
Posted By: 5sdad Re: By Request, "One Fewer" - 05/27/19
My sincere thanks to all who fell while serving.
© 24hourcampfire