Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My annual tribute to our fallen brethren.

One Fewer

I first saw him hobbling down the aisle of a small gun show. He was obviously of advanced age: white-haired, frail and walking with a pronounced limp, his bony left hand grasping one of those spiral thornwood canes that look like a kudu’s horn. It was that cane that caught my attention – without it, the man would have been invisible.

His pained but determined pace picked up when he neared a table only two away from mine. The table’s owner displayed military battle rifles. The old gent stopped there, but I became distracted by customers of my own and did not notice him again.

The promoter held two shows a year in that small town, and I became a regular vendor. After that first time, I started noticing the old gentleman at every show. He always carried that magnificently polished, deep brown cane. He always went steadfastly to that same dealer’s table. He always came on Sunday morning when the crowds were thin.

Clearly not well off financially, the old man’s clothes never varied. His shoes were of brown leather, the toes curled up from age, deep cracks at the toe bend and the heels worn to a smooth curve; but they were always carefully brushed to a soft luster. His slacks were khaki cotton, a semblance of a crease still showing down the front of each leg, with an irregular outline on one thigh that bespoke of a liquid stain long ago acquired. His sports jacket was dark brown wool, its herringbone pattern all but obliterated by age. Its pockets sagged as if he’d once limped home –in a driving rain- with oranges in them. The dulled and faded miniature of a military ribbon adorned the jacket’s left lapel. Under the jacket he always wore a white shirt so thin his sleeveless undershirt showed through. On his Western-style bolo tie, a walnut-sized, blood-red stone mirrored the man’s jutting Adam’s apple. Raising the stooped figure to perhaps five-feet six, a grey fedora hat rode. Now battered, sweat-stained and misshapen, the hat characterized him as much as the liver spots on his pallid, papery skin.

I was able to catalog such small details because of his laborious gait. He’d plant the tightly clutched cane, then half-shuffle, half-slide his crippled left leg forward, and finally his still-spry right: tap, drag, step; tap, drag, step. Just watching him brought a dull empathetic ache to my hips and knees.

Neither his appearance nor his habits ever varied: he’d hobble past my table, spend a few minutes in front of the rifle collector’s display, then leave, unnoticed.

And then, one time, he failed to appear.

Just before the show ended that Sunday afternoon, I ambled over to the rifle table. On one end were a few P-17 Enfields and Springfields, a couple SMLE’s, one or two ’98 Mausers and an Arisaka. At the other end were several .30 M-1 carbines, a Garand and even a rare Johnson rifle. It was interesting stuff, but I really wanted to ask about the old man.

“I heard he passed away last month,” the dealer said. “I’ll miss him.” He shook his head ruefully and looked down.

“You know anything about him? Your table was the only one he ever visited, as far as I saw.”

“Not much. But it wasn’t my table that he visited. It was this,” he said, pointing to the Garand.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, it’s like this…the first few times he came by, I tried to wait on him. But he never spoke a word – like I wasn’t even there. He’d walk up, stand there a bit, and then he’d lightly touch the Garand. With just his fingertips, as though it was his lover or something, you know? Then one time I said, ‘You seem like you know that rifle. Carry one in the Army?’ He shook his head a little and kept right on caressing that rifle’s stock, but he said ‘Marines.’

“So then I looked at him a little closer. You know that little blue pin in his lapel? That’s the Navy Cross, and it’s the highest they give except for the Medal of Honor. And so I had to ask him where he got it, and he finally looked up at me. His eyes were brimming, as if some nightmare just came back to him, and he choked out one word: ‘Tarawa.’

“After that, I’d sell any rifle on the table, except that Garand. It would have killed him if I had. I never will sell it, now.” He stood silently for a second, then concluded, “Those two spoken words and that ribbon are all I know about that old man, but they’re all I need to know.”

As if drawn to it, I stroked the stock of the Garand and whispered, “Thank you.” I’m not sure if I said it to the dealer, or that rifle, or the hovering spirit of that departed hero. Maybe all three. But I meant it.

A note: I read recently that as many as 2,000 veterans of World War II pass away every single day. That’s more than were lost on many days of the war. If you know or even meet a veteran from that conflict, thank them from the bottom of your heart…while you still can.

Printed in “The Big Show Journal” May/June 2005 © Copyright Rocky Raab 2005

Permission to reprint in full (with author credit and copyright notice) is granted.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Thank you for posting that!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for posting that. My dad was a Marine in WWII. He spoke very fondly of his Garand.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Must be some dust or pollen in the air. My eyes are watering.

Thank you for that story.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for that. My tear ducts needed a rinse.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent.

*honk*

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Powerful!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for posting this.
That was a true act of kindness.
Little dusty around here.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good post thank you

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some men, like my father spoke only of the conical things they experienced during the two Wars he fought in.some said very little or Nothing at All. To me they both speak volumes. Thank you for posting that.

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story. Thanks for posting. And many thanks to that Marine.

Battle of Tarawa

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/26/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rocky, I was hoping you'd post this, and as usual, you didn't disappoint. We are so lucky to have reaped the rewards of the hard work and sacrifice of all our military men and women. My deepest thanks to each and every one.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Rocky, I was hoping you'd post this, and as usual, you didn't disappoint. We are so lucky to have reaped the rewards of the hard work and sacrifice of all our military men and women. My deepest thanks to each and every one.

+1

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My uncle piloted a navy landing craft on Tarawa, hauling the marines to shore. He was only 19 at the time. Who knows, their paths might have crossed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thank you for posting...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Rocky..... Every time I read that it reminds me of the time in 2007 when I handed my M-1 to one of my 80 something uncles, who had carried one as a young marine in the latter stages of the Pacific Theater. It was the first time he had seen one in person since about 1945. He spoke highly of it and began to recall all the details of it that he thought he had forgotten until he actually had one in his hands again. It was something I'll never forget. He passed 3 years later and the American Legion post did a rifle salute at his graveside service using M-1's. I thought it very fitting.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thank you for posting that sir ! Made my day..................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you for posting that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (22kHornet, 160user, 257man, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,834
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.