Home
Copperheads are at the low end of the toxicity scale for North American pit vipers. Apparently this gentleman was allergic to the venom, and suffered an anaphylactic reaction.

Alabama man dies 3 days after copperhead snake bite at Smith Lake
By Carol Robinson | [email protected]

A Tuscaloosa husband, father, son and brother died Monday, three days after he was bitten by a copperhead snake at the family’s Smith Lake home.

Oliver “Chum” Baker, 52, was pronounced dead at a Huntsville hospital. He leaves behind a large, close-knit family including his wife, Marilou Briney Baker, and sons Charlie, who just graduated from high school, and 12-year-old Walden. Baker grew up in the Birmingham area.

“He never met a stranger,’’ said his brother, Reb Baker. “He loved everybody.”

The family had gathered at the lake home for the long holiday weekend. Baker was outside on the stone patio walking his new lab puppy when he alerted family members that he had been bitten by a copperhead. The snake was still coiled up outside the back door.

Within minutes, Baker fell unconscious. A relative gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation until paramedics arrived. They drove to a nearby school so that he could be airlifted to UAB Hospital in Birmingham, but he was not stable enough to fly.

The paramedics then took him by ambulance to a Jasper hospital, and eventually he was airlifted to Huntsville. Family said Baker suffered a severe allergic reaction to the snake’s venom which caused anaphylactic shock and ultimately cardiac arrest. Baker never regained consciousness.

“It was a whole chain of events,’’ Reb Baker said. “His organs just couldn’t recover.”

Baker was the youngest son of retired Birmingham radiologist Dr. Charlie Baker and his wife, Pat. He worked water quality control for the City of Northport.

“He would go way out of his way to help everybody. He never wanted accolades,’’ his brother said. “Everybody loved him. It’s just unbelievable.

From al.com
He must have gotten a full load of venom. Though copperhead bites are usually non-fatal, any poisonous snake is capable of killing you.
Killed one in the yard last night.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
He must have gotten a full load of venom. Though copperhead bites are usually non-fatal, any poisonous snake is capable of killing you.

He was allergic to the venom...anaphylactic shock. It could have been as small as the dose of venom you get from a bee sting.
Most snakes don't get me excited but there are a few exceptions. Copperheads are top of the list because they are difficult to see and inclined to stay put until you step on or very near them..... I would eradicate them if possible.

Kraits are #2, but I won't be seeing many of those here in the neighborhood.
Don't have them down here.
Dang. A quick shot from an EpiPen and eating antihistamines like pez candy might have saved him?
They are darn hard to see in the dirt or in the leaves down here. It is just a matter of time before I end up stepping on one. Around September I tend to see a lot of little ones, up close around the house.
Their classic coloration is like pine straw but it varies. Might be so dark brown the camo coloration is near invisible. I killed on with near invisible camo pattern that was dark green.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Dang. A quick shot from an EpiPen and eating antihistamines like pez candy might have saved him?

Yep, Its possible that it could have been that simple.

Maybe, maybe not.

Depends on the severity of the reaction. Evidently his was severe, so hard to tell.

Had he been immediately in a hospital, IV's with massive cortisone infusion and put on full life support, maybe, maybe not.

For him it was the perfect storm, outcome hard to predict.

DF
Killed one in our yard last night, first one in 27 years.
Hate those damn things. They seem to find me every year. Last one I paid for in a load of mulch. MoFo was about 2.5 feet long.
Lots of copperheads around my part of South Carolina but you rarely see one. I have never heard of anyone dying from a copperhead bite. Sad.
They are common here and still ive seen very few. According to experts , a copperhead will bite repeatedly . I dont think i wanna find out.
Used to see them often enough in Georgia. Beautiful snakes, but they sure do hide well and like to sit tight until you step on the damned thing.

Condolences.
Copperheads are supposedly found more frequently where there are Live Oaks.
Same thing happened to a lady within two miles of my house a few years back. As I recall, she was weeding her flowerbed and was bitten on the hand or finger. She collapsed and died before she made it to the hospital. She too had a severe anaphylactic reaction to the venom.
Very unusual. Fatalities from copperhead bites are extremely rare. Apparently it was due to an extreme allergic reaction to the venom. Anaphylaxis due to a variety of allergens does kill people on a regular basis.
So.. he died similarly to people who have reactions to wasp or hornet stings? That's aweful.

I live in the woods, literally, and I've spent a considerable amount of my life outside. I've only ever seen two of them. I suspect I've likely encountered quite a few, and just didnt see them. They blend right in.
I’ve been bit twice by the SOB’s. It’s not much fun! I stepped on one barefooted at night at 14, bit on hand at 16, he was in an old pile of wood we were moving. I’ve had rattlers hit my snake leggings three times, that will make your [bleep] tighten up. I had birddogs hit several times, lost one.
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Same thing happened to a lady within two miles of my house a few years back. As I recall, she was weeding her flowerbed and was bitten on the hand or finger. She collapsed and died before she made it to the hospital. She too had a severe anaphylactic reaction to the venom.

My wife killed this little bastard (Juvenile ground rattler) weeding the flower bed yesterday. My lab smelled/saw it first. Wife killed it (snake) with a shovel. My dog has been bitten twice, once by an unknown species, another time by a cottonmouth. I have only seen three copperheads in the last bunch of years. One dead on the road in front of my house, one while walking on my property, and one that almost got me at the shooting range.

[Linked Image]
Dang, we better watch out. Headed near Smith Lake tomorrow.

Originally Posted by JamesJr
He must have gotten a full load of venom.

Sounds like a Jussie Smallott reference.
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

Yep, Its possible that it could have been that simple.

Yes...

I keep plain Benadryl around for the dogs and family. We have rattlers here and where I hunt.

Sad day for the gentleman's family.
We had a little 'benji' mutt here on the farm for about 15 years. I had personally seen him take a hit from a copperhead on the patio right on the jowls, live action no faking. I suspect he had gotten nailed a couple other times the way it swelled up in similar fashion.

He must have been the ozzy oznorne of dogs, nevee succumbed to venom.
Copperhead bit a nephew last year on the foot. Three weeks in the hospital. Dang near lost his foot.
Timber rattlers are hard to see out in the woods also.
35 or so years ago, I killed several copperheads around our yard, barn, pasture, etc. So I started catching every king snake I could and would turn them loose in the yard. After the 2nd or 3rd king snake, I never saw another snake of any kind. Had to be careful cutting the grass and working the flower beds, cause you were likely to see one of the king snakes. I moved away, but Dad's been here all this time and he said he hasn't seen any snakes for several years, except a king snake, a couple times each summer.
I have them around here bad .
I wonder if the copperhead also hit a vein, causing the venom to spread much more rapidly
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Yep.

Here's one I snapped amongst the live oak leaves..

[Linked Image]
Well that sucks, I didn't feel bad at all loosing an ounce and an eighth of 7.5's on a cottonmouth at Wifes brim pond a week or so ago, it only takes one.
Those dirty sombitches will lay in wait for ya RBB, hope you smoked that one after the pic.
Prayers on the way for the family involved. We have copperheads here and I hate the sumbitches. Killed one on the walk in front of the house about 3 years ago.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Those dirty sombitches will lay in wait for ya RBB, hope you smoked that one after the pic.

Macheted! grin
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by gunner500

Macheted! grin

cool not much nicer than a two piece copperhead.
I was about 5 when, while I was there, my aunt got bitten by a copperhead when she walked into her summer kitchen.
Allergic to antigenic, they just iced her ankle and gave her pain meds.
Miserable few days, she recovered with no noticeable damage.

But, every so often, it would suddenly swell, and hurt like heck.

We don't have many of them here, but it seems like they are in pockets.
Where they are, there are a good many.
I'd take a copper over this bad dude. Thankfully he rattled agressively yesterday. About as bad as they get....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Very unusual. Fatalities from copperhead bites are extremely rare. Apparently it was due to an extreme allergic reaction to the venom. Anaphylaxis due to a variety of allergens does kill people on a regular basis.

Correct. There has never been a confirmed fatality do to the bite of a copperhead or water moccasin, other than complications.
My lawn got pretty high because my riding mower had broke down. I got another rider to get on top of the yard and the last two days I’ve been mowing and weed whacking the property. I’ve run over 2 snakes chopped 2 with the weed eater and was resetting some blocks in a low retaining wall and squashed one snake. All were garter snakes and all were accidentally killed. There were so many snakes that I thanked God that I live where there’s no killer snakes.

That’s a shame about Chum, he sounds like a great guy that was really loved. He was obviously allergic and I wonder if the outcome would’ve been any different if he’d had an epi pen and got a dose onboard immediately. I’m sure that he got the full spectrum when the medics got there but by then his heart had been shutdown too long.
Benadryl takes too long to work. It’s not going to hurt to chug 4 or 6 25mg diphenhydramine tablets before you collapse but his airway could’ve swollen shut.....he’d have to have eaten them 30 minutes or so before being bit. He went into cardiac arrest quickly so only an epi pen or 2 would’ve had a chance at saving him, that and a defib....
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Benadryl takes too long to work. It’s not going to hurt to chug 4 or 6 25mg diphenhydramine tablets before you collapse but his airway could’ve swollen shut.....he’d have to have eaten them 30 minutes or so before being bit. He went into cardiac arrest quickly so only an epi pen or 2 would’ve had a chance at saving him, that and a defib....

And insurance or out of pocket, a 12ga shotshell is a fu-k of a lot cheaper than a 150K venom trip to the hospital, the State of Oklahoma is busy kicking big pharma right square in the ballsack for the rest of their greedy deeds!
I was bitten by a small copperhead one year ago. I had a all night stay at the hospital and six vials of anti-venom. Then I had to sit around with my foot propped up for the next week to keep the swelling down.
Originally Posted by GregW
I'd take a copper over this bad dude. Thankfully he rattled agressively yesterday. About as bad as they get....

[Linked Image]

northern blacktail. they have a rep. as being pretty mellow. he might have felt backed into a corner. they get your attention. more of a mountain snake than a desert snake (desert mountains too)
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Yep.

Here's one I snapped amongst the live oak leaves..

[Linked Image]

perfect camo. hard to see it looking at it
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My lawn got pretty high because my riding mower had broke down. I got another rider to get on top of the yard and the last two days I’ve been mowing and weed whacking the property. I’ve run over 2 snakes chopped 2 with the weed eater and was resetting some blocks in a low retaining wall and squashed one snake. All were garter snakes and all were accidentally killed. There were so many snakes that I thanked God that I live where there’s no killer snakes.

That’s a shame about Chum, he sounds like a great guy that was really loved. He was obviously allergic and I wonder if the outcome would’ve been any different if he’d had an epi pen and got a dose onboard immediately. I’m sure that he got the full spectrum when the medics got there but by then his heart had been shutdown too long.

I’ve killed a bunch of rattlesnakes at the Ranch with a push mower around the house. And a schittload more with a 12 ga. 🤠
Originally Posted by Sycamore

[Linked Image]

northern blacktail. they have a rep. as being pretty mellow. he might have felt backed into a corner. they get your attention. more of a mountain snake than a desert snake (desert mountains too)

Not positive of your diagnosis....

Potentially...

Had a mixture of traits like alot of rattlers seem to....
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Most snakes don't get me excited but there are a few exceptions. Copperheads are top of the list because they are difficult to see and inclined to stay put until you step on or very near them..... I would eradicate them if possible.

Kraits are #2, but I won't be seeing many of those here in the neighborhood.

Yet...
I love Oregon.
How did he die from anaphylactic shock 3 day lighter. The few cases I've seen are immediate, like a bee sting. I saw one that was due to taking penicillin that was not prescribed to her. Was he allergic to the anti venom?
I had no idea so many folks had gotten bitten. Just glad I live where there aren't any.
Originally Posted by smarquez
How did he die from anaphylactic shock 3 day lighter. The few cases I've seen are immediate, like a bee sting. I saw one that was due to taking penicillin that was not prescribed to her. Was he allergic to the anti venom?

He went into cardiac arrest. I suspect the temporary lack of blood flow led to tissue damage throughout his body. After that, organs like the liver and kidneys not only had to deal with direct damage from lack of oxygen, but also with the influx of toxins from the breakdown of tissues in other areas of the body.

[Linked Image]

Potentially...

GregW- Heres what I found after a couple decades hunting rattlers....they dont rattle aggressively, they aren't mad, they're scared. Its a warning. However, that said, the bottom line is still the same...if you mess with them after a rattle, they'll bite you. Otherwise they just want to be left alone.

FWIW any of them Ive ever seen that showed any true aggression never rattled....they had no intention of warning you before they tried to kill you. I hunted Pacific Diamondbacks a lot-supposedly the most aggressive of the rattlers, and still...it was an extremely rare event, and usually not without provocation.
When I was a paramedic we were taught that the rattlesnake has the most poisonous venom, the water moccasin is second, and the copperhead the least poisonous.
This was central Georgia and we had plenty of all 3 snakes in the woods there.
I did have a dog that got bitten on the leg by a copperhead and she got real sick but did not die and she healed up fine.

This is an unusual case as it was an allergic reaction that killed the man. I will tell y'all that if you fear an allergic reaction, a single Benadryl pill can save your life. The stuff you buy over the counter, I have seen it on ambulance calls where a person took a Benadryl pill and it quickly reversed an anaphylactic reaction. Chew it up and hold it in the mouth.
The coral snake is above them all.
How much venom is injected, and where it gets injected makes a great difference in outcome.
Follow on infections are no laughing matter either.
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Potentially...

GregW- Heres what I found after a couple decades hunting rattlers....they dont rattle aggressively, they aren't mad, they're scared. Its a warning. However, that said, the bottom line is still the same...if you mess with them after a rattle, they'll bite you. Otherwise they just want to be left alone.

FWIW any of them Ive ever seen that showed any true aggression never rattled....they had no intention of warning you before they tried to kill you. I hunted Pacific Diamondbacks a lot-supposedly the most aggressive of the rattlers, and still...it was an extremely rare event, and usually not without provocation.

I agree with this....
No poisonous serpents in my neck of the woods thank God. My mom got whacked by a massasgua rattler about 10 years ago though in southern Michigan.

I hate snakes!
i have hunted on this ranch out on the desert for many years, lots of buzztails killed there. The owners son got tanked up in wickenburg one night with some friends, and was driving to the ranch about 2am in the morning when they spotted one in the road. They thought it would be fun to stomp it to death. mistake, they had forgot earlier they had switched from their heavy construction boots to tennis shoes.
bit him pretty good, and a week in the hospital.
i have known a few people that have lost limbs to rattlers.
[Linked Image]
I caught this nipper under the lid of the propane tank.
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Potentially...

You ever notice it’s the young rattler that has the most attitude and bad disposition seemingly looking for a fight?

Smaller in size doesn’t mean afraid in the Eastern parts of my state with some of these slithering devils. 😎
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Originally Posted by smarquez

He went into cardiac arrest. I suspect the temporary lack of blood flow led to tissue damage throughout his body. After that, organs like the liver and kidneys not only had to deal with direct damage from lack of oxygen, but also with the influx of toxins from the breakdown of tissues in other areas of the body.

I totally get that but that doesn't sound like anaphylaxis to me.
Why doesn’t it sound like anaphylaxis? It sounds like a a classic case of acute anaphylactic shock.
Sounds like a painful death.
Its rare to suffer anaphylactic shock from envenomation.
patients are more likely to experience anaphylactic shock from administration of the antivenin.
The antivenin -Crotalidae polyvalent - used for vipers, can cause acute or severe immediate or delayed hypersensitivity reaction.
Due to it being highly allergenic , it can be a greater threat to life than the venom.

and antivenom reactions often occur in those with no previous exposure to equine proteins.
[snake antivenoms are manufactured from pools of plasma collected from domestic animals, typically horses].
Sounds like classic anaphylactic shock to me. Had 3 snake bites in Er while I was working just the past 10 days. East Tn at the base of the smoky mountains. Not common, but see a couple every year. 2 copperheads, 1 timber rattler.

Seen 7 total this year which is a record

Copperhead bites are very rarely fatal, and most that die do so from anaphylactic shock. Benadryl wouldn’t have made a difference once he was down. Epi pen may have. Most copperhead bites don’t even require cro fab( anti venom) unless extensive swelling.

He died from cardiac and or respiratory arrest, and probably was resuscitated without brain function due to being otherwise healthy individual. See it all the time. Get the heart beating again and can keep it beating. No brain function left after the hypoxic episode

All rattler bites get cro fab, those little bastards will kill you and you don’t take chances. Give the first dose and see how they do from there

Sad story.
Originally Posted by kevinJ

Wow.
Originally Posted by kevinJ

Wow.

Wow is right, got to be all the water/flooding concentrating them up.
A woman told me (logging family) her brother would ride it out at home when he would take a copperhead bite.
Didn't Shelby get bit by a cotton mouth and ride it out? Swelled up pretty good tho...
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
[Linked Image]
I caught this nipper under the lid of the propane tank.

I hope you killed that devil!
When I was a little kid, a friend of mine lost a leg below the knee from a rattlesnake.
© 24hourcampfire