Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Copperheads are at the low end of the toxicity scale for North American pit vipers. Apparently this gentleman was allergic to the venom, and suffered an anaphylactic reaction.

Alabama man dies 3 days after copperhead snake bite at Smith Lake
By Carol Robinson | crobinsonal.com

A Tuscaloosa husband, father, son and brother died Monday, three days after he was bitten by a copperhead snake at the family’s Smith Lake home.

Oliver “Chum” Baker, 52, was pronounced dead at a Huntsville hospital. He leaves behind a large, close-knit family including his wife, Marilou Briney Baker, and sons Charlie, who just graduated from high school, and 12-year-old Walden. Baker grew up in the Birmingham area.

“He never met a stranger,’’ said his brother, Reb Baker. “He loved everybody.”

The family had gathered at the lake home for the long holiday weekend. Baker was outside on the stone patio walking his new lab puppy when he alerted family members that he had been bitten by a copperhead. The snake was still coiled up outside the back door.

Within minutes, Baker fell unconscious. A relative gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation until paramedics arrived. They drove to a nearby school so that he could be airlifted to UAB Hospital in Birmingham, but he was not stable enough to fly.

The paramedics then took him by ambulance to a Jasper hospital, and eventually he was airlifted to Huntsville. Family said Baker suffered a severe allergic reaction to the snake’s venom which caused anaphylactic shock and ultimately cardiac arrest. Baker never regained consciousness.

“It was a whole chain of events,’’ Reb Baker said. “His organs just couldn’t recover.”

Baker was the youngest son of retired Birmingham radiologist Dr. Charlie Baker and his wife, Pat. He worked water quality control for the City of Northport.

“He would go way out of his way to help everybody. He never wanted accolades,’’ his brother said. “Everybody loved him. It’s just unbelievable.

From al.com

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
He must have gotten a full load of venom. Though copperhead bites are usually non-fatal, any poisonous snake is capable of killing you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Killed one in the yard last night.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
He must have gotten a full load of venom. Though copperhead bites are usually non-fatal, any poisonous snake is capable of killing you.

He was allergic to the venom...anaphylactic shock. It could have been as small as the dose of venom you get from a bee sting.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most snakes don't get me excited but there are a few exceptions. Copperheads are top of the list because they are difficult to see and inclined to stay put until you step on or very near them..... I would eradicate them if possible.

Kraits are #2, but I won't be seeing many of those here in the neighborhood.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't have them down here.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang. A quick shot from an EpiPen and eating antihistamines like pez candy might have saved him?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
They are darn hard to see in the dirt or in the leaves down here. It is just a matter of time before I end up stepping on one. Around September I tend to see a lot of little ones, up close around the house.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Their classic coloration is like pine straw but it varies. Might be so dark brown the camo coloration is near invisible. I killed on with near invisible camo pattern that was dark green.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Dang. A quick shot from an EpiPen and eating antihistamines like pez candy might have saved him?

Yep, Its possible that it could have been that simple.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Maybe, maybe not.

Depends on the severity of the reaction. Evidently his was severe, so hard to tell.

Had he been immediately in a hospital, IV's with massive cortisone infusion and put on full life support, maybe, maybe not.

For him it was the perfect storm, outcome hard to predict.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed one in our yard last night, first one in 27 years.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hate those damn things. They seem to find me every year. Last one I paid for in a load of mulch. MoFo was about 2.5 feet long.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lots of copperheads around my part of South Carolina but you rarely see one. I have never heard of anyone dying from a copperhead bite. Sad.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
They are common here and still ive seen very few. According to experts , a copperhead will bite repeatedly . I dont think i wanna find out.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Used to see them often enough in Georgia. Beautiful snakes, but they sure do hide well and like to sit tight until you step on the damned thing.

Condolences.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Copperheads are supposedly found more frequently where there are Live Oaks.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Same thing happened to a lady within two miles of my house a few years back. As I recall, she was weeding her flowerbed and was bitten on the hand or finger. She collapsed and died before she made it to the hospital. She too had a severe anaphylactic reaction to the venom.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Very unusual. Fatalities from copperhead bites are extremely rare. Apparently it was due to an extreme allergic reaction to the venom. Anaphylaxis due to a variety of allergens does kill people on a regular basis.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So.. he died similarly to people who have reactions to wasp or hornet stings? That's aweful.

I live in the woods, literally, and I've spent a considerable amount of my life outside. I've only ever seen two of them. I suspect I've likely encountered quite a few, and just didnt see them. They blend right in.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1234, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 1,806 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,070
Posts18,521,648
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.