Home
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
For twenty years of buying and selling guns online, its been “normal”for the seller to receive a copy of the receiving ffl ‘s license (email or hard copy either one)

Is this how youve done it ?or is some type of electronic verification good enough ?

I have sold a firearm and the receiving ffl has twice not sent me the copy .its a woman too.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
ok
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
FFL EZ Check. The receiving FFL gives you the first three and last 5 digits of their license, you enter them here and ATF verifies whether it's a valid license and gives you the address to use for shipment.

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
What is this "Selling" of firearms.

We are programmed to BUY.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
Dealer doesnt wanna send license to individuals . Will only send license after individual sends copy of photo id. Sounds like an unconstitutional dealer. Sending buyer their money back.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Dealer doesnt wanna send license to individuals . Will only send license after individual sends copy of photo id. Sounds like an unconstitutional dealer. Sending buyer their money back.

Whats an unconstitutional dealer?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
FFL EZ Check. The receiving FFL gives you the first three and last 5 digits of their license, you enter them here and ATF verifies whether it's a valid license and gives you the address to use for shipment.

This.

You don't need a copy of the FFL, unless you're shipping UPS and want one to show them. You just need to be sure you are actually shipping to an FFL. The above process guarantees that.

I and 50 million folks in the US can fake up an FFL copy in 15 minutes on a computer. Can't fake FFL EZ check.
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

This.

You don't need a copy of the FFL, unless you're shipping UPS and want one to show them. You just need to be sure you are actually shipping to an FFL. The above process guarantees that.

I and 50 million folks in the US can fake up an FFL copy in 15 minutes on a computer. Can't fake FFL EZ check.

Exactly!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
For phuqk's sake.
I still think an ffl that wants to receive guns should send out their license.been that way for years.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
maybe have the buyer find another FFL from Gun Brokers list and use them
Posted By: dale06 Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
I still think an ffl that wants to receive guns should send out their license.been that way for years.

Sold one a couple months ago. And have sold a few over the years.
The buyer was traveling and asked me to contact the receiving FFL. I did and they did not want to send a copy. They did not mention EZ check, and had they, I was not aware of it.
Anyway, I told them send it or I’ll just refund the money to the buyer and move on.
Ten minutes later I had their FFL in my in box.
I thought they and the buyer were trying to “set me up” and have me send it to a non FFL.

No, it's not been that way for years.... The BATFE says NO, the FFL copies are for FFLs, no one else. The piece of paper does not mean chit unless verified via FFL EZ Check.

Why is this sooooo hard?
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
When I sell, I get either a hardcopy of the receiving FFL or a scan/pdf emailed to me. Then I verify it with the ATF FFL EZ Check.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
When I sell, I get either a hardcopy of the receiving FFL or a scan/pdf emailed to me. Then I verify it with the ATF FFL EZ Check.

Bingo
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

No, it's not been that way for years.... The BATFE says NO, the FFL copies are for FFLs, no one else. The piece of paper does not mean chit unless verified via FFL EZ Check.

Why is this sooooo hard?

Whats your source?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19
the few guns i do online either buying or selling i insist on FFL-FFL. but i rarely sell or buy guns anymore.

Why is this sooooo hard?

Whats your source?

The BATFE has recommended this for years and it's been repeated here 100s of time. Since 2010 I know for sure.

You can search the hundreds of threads yourself. Somewhere you'll get the info you seek...

site:24hourcampfire.com Shipping Firearm

site:24hourcampfire.com FFL Copy

site:24hourcampfire.com FFL EZ Check
Document name and page number?

gun broker requires the seller be sent a copy. Maybe they are wrong.
Posted By: Spartan24 Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19

I remember always having a copy to show the shipping agency proof it was going through legal channels.

Yes, Gunbroker is wrong. You are wrong. Do as you please. Whatever.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Selling a firearm - 06/13/19

Why is this sooooo hard?

Because there are lots of dolts on both sides. http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi...30714-final-advisory-fraudulent-ffls.pdf

The FFL is a dolt too for making up her own rule of requiring a photo ID. Here's my photo ID Ms. FFL.
[Linked Image]
Originally they put it out in an Industry Advisory Letter IIRC. It's old hat not worth arguing about.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/030714-final-advisory-fraudulent-fflspdf/download

This is just one example where it's repeated.

Show us where the law says a non-licensee must have a copy of an FFL. There is none to be found.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images2/atf_advisory_letter.pdf

Advisory Letter
Online Scams Using Fraudulent Federal Firearms Licenses
March 7, 2014
TO ALL FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEES AND FIREARM PURCHASERS
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is providing the
following information to make you aware of fraudulent online firearms sales. Some
individuals are using fraudulently altered Federal firearms licenses to sell but never
deliver firearms online.
A typical online scam starts with an online firearm advertisement. Purchasers who
respond to the advertisement by telephone or email receive an invalid, counterfeit copy of
a license that appears to be valid. After sending payment, the purchaser never receives
the advertised firearm(s) and the fraudulent seller removes the original online
advertisement and contact information.
To help you avoid this scam, licensees are reminded that only transactions between
licensees require the furnishing of a certified copy of the license. Licensees should
consider only providing the basic license number to individuals (e.g., 1-75-12345). The
individuals can use FFL eZ Check to confirm the validity of the license number before
sending payment for firearms advertised online.
FFL eZ Check is on the ATF website at
http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/applications-FFL-eZ-check. If
you have general questions regarding the FFL eZ Check system, you may contact the
Federal Firearms Licensing Center at 1-877-560-2435.
You may also wish to contact other Federal, State, and local resources regarding internet
fraud, to include the Federal Bureau of Investigation (www.IC3.gov), the Federal Trade
Commission (www.ftc.gov), your State’s Attorney General’s office
(http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5-31st-editiion/attorneysgeneral.pdf) and your local law enforcement agency.
If you are a Federal firearms licensee who believes your license has been fraudulently
used, stolen, or compromised, please contact your local ATF field office as soon as
possible for assistance. A list of local field offices can be found at
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Selling a firearm - 06/14/19
Buds gun shop ? Rofl

My request is actually so I can provide my dealer the ffl because he is gonna ask for it. I will only deal with friendlies. And theres plenty out there.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Selling a firearm - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Why is this sooooo hard?

Because there are lots of dolts on both sides. http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi...30714-final-advisory-fraudulent-ffls.pdf

The FFL is a dolt too for making up her own rule of requiring a photo ID. Here's my photo ID Ms. FFL.
[Linked Image]

Sorry. That link is dumb as fugg.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Selling a firearm - 06/14/19
Where is Bricktop when we need him.
© 24hourcampfire