Home
Posted By: 19352012 Why so many big game tags? - 07/13/19
People are getting so many tags. I have seen several conversations about more people putting in for tags. Maybe, but you also see people with 10-15 tags. You see folks talking about this hunt, that hunt, the other hunt but I was unsuccessful for a couple hunts too, why so many people putting in for licenses. Why so many tags?
[Linked Image][url
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Why so many big game tags? - 07/13/19
Why not? If you can afford them and can make use of the meat.
I buy between 8 to 10 deer tags in Nebraska each year. I buy 2 buck tags and between 6 and 8 antlerless whitetail tags. I buy 4 "BLUE NORTHWEST" seasons choice tags and between 2 and 4 "RIVER" tags that will allow me to take between 8 and 12 antlerless whitetails. I keep some of the meat and give the rest to friends and to Hunters Helping the Hungry. Shooting that many deer allows me to field test a variety of rifle chambered for different cartridges and using different combinations of components.
Posted By: Judman Re: Why so many big game tags? - 07/13/19
Guys such as myself like to hunt.
Because non-hunters move to Florida, and that's a fate worse than death.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I buy between 8 to 10 deer tags in Nebraska each year. I buy 2 buck tags and between 6 and 8 antlerless whitetail tags. I buy 4 "BLUE NORTHWEST" seasons choice tags and between 2 and 4 "RIVER" tags that will allow me to take between 8 and 12 antlerless whitetails. I keep some of the meat and give the rest to friends and to Hunters Helping the Hungry. Shooting that many deer allows me to field test a variety of rifle chambered for different cartridges and using different combinations of components.

Good on ya for donating some meat. There's a lot of hungry folks out there, and good quality protein is hard for them to come by. Go to a food distribution sometime and volunteer. We've got a pretty good one near here-I've volunteered at it several times. The food is donated, so they take what they can get. Sometimes it's obscure products that aren't selling, or short dated stuff. If the people are lucky they get meat of some kinds-maybe some chicken thighs or a pack of hot dogs but that's about it. Most of the other goods are high carb, high salt, or just junk food. Lots of chips, bread, and cereal, possibly some canned fruit and veggies, and a little bit of fresh fruit and veggies depending on what's available. There is very little protein in the kits though. Donating meat is a good thing to do.
I will never live in Florida.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Because non-hunters move to Florida, and that's a fate worse than death.

I used to live in Florida, but escaped in 1975. I'll never live there again.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Why so many big game tags? - 07/13/19
I usually have 2-3 tags in total. And I usually kill at least two big game animals. I’ll have deer, antelope and elk tags this year.
I give 100% of the meat to people that like to eat it. I don’t much care for it.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

NOBODY lives in Fl.
Originally Posted by dale06
I usually have 2-3 tags in total. And I usually kill at least two big game animals. I’ll have deer, antelope and elk tags this year.
I give 100% of the meat to people that like to eat it. I don’t much care for it.

I luv elk backstrap. smile
I've been to Florida Once and it was enough. I'll have five or six big game tags this year. If I didn't like the meat I wouldn't hunt.
Florida = God's waiting room.
Never been to a place that had such a high percentage of its population that have no soul.
In the interest of full disclosure, we've owned a winter place there for over 30 years.
Always thought that asking “why” people do what they do to be an exercise of futility. I guess my answer would be similar to what the mountain climbers answer when asked why they climb........because they are there.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Why so many big game tags? - 07/13/19
I live in an area that was rural when I moved her and has now become suburban. The deer population has gotten out of control. I kill 4/year and have done so for 5-6 years now. I like deer meat. I like it a lot. I eat most of what I kill. I buy virtually no beef, very little salmon, some chicken and virtually no white meat fish. What little meat I do buy tends to be more specialty items like really good sausage. I make a lot of sausage myself, but I tend towards sausages that is easier to make without specialized equipment. What little venison I do not eat from what I kill I have people who are always very happy to take anything I will provide. The people I give it to know that this is meat that has been killed, processed and cut for my table and that it is as pretty and as perfectly handled and can be done. I do not donate my game to Hunters for the Hungry or any other such organization because unless a person has grown up eating and preparing wild meat of almost any type, they have no idea how to make the most of it. The people I give wild meat to NEED it, and know what to do with it.

I buy two tags for myself every year and two for my wife. My wife has no interest in shooting deer, but she likes to sit with me, and she really enjoys tracking deer that I have shot. She is very helpful in the processing and butchering of the deer and understands that the level of care I put into an animal after the shot shows up and is very noticeable on her plate. Like me, she is extremely disappointed in what passes for meat in most stores. The injection of water into meat should be illegal. It degrades the quality of the meat, makes it much more susceptible to micro organisms and makes it much, much harder to prepare decently. We do stupid crap like finishing beef in a feed lot where basically we introduce a huge amount of E-coli into them and from there the next stop is a processing plant kill floor where the cross contamination of the animal is completed. THAT is why we need to cook beef to death before it is safe to eat lest we disease ourselves.

THAT IS WHY I BUY SO MANY TAGS AND KILL SO MANY DEER EACH YEAR.

Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

NOBODY lives in Fl.

Sorry. Nobody LIVES in Fl.

Is there much public land with good deer hunting?
I don’t have to buy tags, they are part of my license.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I don’t have to buy tags, they are part of my license.

No doubt!

Standard license has 6 deer tags.

Family like my son's with two boys that hunt, and all the family loves wild game, it can really fill a freezer if you want it to. wink
Posted By: efw Re: Why so many big game tags? - 07/13/19
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Why not? If you can afford them and can make use of the meat.

Right on; apply and hunt away!!!!
I've never seen donated deer meat at any of the food banks being handed out. Food bank jands out "manager's special" chicken cuts and other grocery meats.

That was part of my blowing the lid of the food bank stunt I pulled a few months back, just to see.

Donated deer meat must be ending up on chinese buffets and Taco Bell. Some people donate meat just so they can tell everyone they donated meat. Maybe they are hoping the state will issue a Meritorious Bronze Star license plate for DONATED DEER MEAT.
As for "tags"

I have no fugging clue what those are

In Tn, you pay for a "license" that license has bag limits.
License for archery
License for muzzleloader
License for centerfire

And then for me, I qualify for landowner exemption; don't even have to buy a license. I can shoot 300 deer if that many would cross the fences. 2 or 3 is all I want and I ain't hauling out a deer carcass just to hand it over to some wino that beats his wife and kids.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Is there much public land with good deer hunting?

There is very little public land available for hunting in all of Nebraska and none that I know of in the BLUE NORTHWEST management area.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I've never seen donated deer meat at any of the food banks being handed out. Food bank jands out "manager's special" chicken cuts and other grocery meats.

That was part of my blowing the lid of the food bank stunt I pulled a few months back, just to see.

Donated deer meat must be ending up on chinese buffets and Taco Bell. Some people donate meat just so they can tell everyone they donated meat. Maybe they are hoping the state will issue a Meritorious Bronze Star license plate for DONATED DEER MEAT.

AFAIK, all of the meat from the deer that I donate is ground into burger and sent to homeless and battered women shelters.

If I couldn't give away or donate the deer that I've shot, I'd still shoot them. I wouldn't leave them in the field, as that would be wanton waste, but I don't know what I'd do with them. I used to donate the meat to my church for their Wednesday family dinners, but some of the members complained when they realized that they were eating Bambi, so now they have more meatless meals.

I'm not seeking any recognition for my charity. I have been blessed with a great family, a great Wife, plus a little skill, foresight, and luck throughout my life and it is only right that I do something for those who have not been as fortunate. LUKE 12:48 says better than I ever could; "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.".

AFAIK, all of the meat from the deer that I donate is ground into burger and sent to homeless and battered women shelters.

If I couldn't give away or donate the deer that I've shot, I'd still shoot them. I wouldn't leave them in the field, as that would be wanton waste, but I don't know what I'd do with them. I used to donate the meat to my church for their Wednesday family dinners, but some of the members complained when they realized that they were eating Bambi, so now they have more meatless meals.

I'm not seeking any recognition for my charity. I have been blessed with a great family, a great Wife, plus a little skill, foresight, and luck throughout my life and it is only right that I do something for those who have not been as fortunate. LUKE 12:48 says better than I ever could; "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.".

Jeff, you seem like a heck of a good guy. Kudos for your efforts.
As for "tags"

I have no fugging clue what those are

In Tn, you pay for a "license" that license has bag limits.
License for archery
License for muzzleloader
License for centerfire

And then for me, I qualify for landowner exemption; don't even have to buy a license. I can shoot 300 deer if that many would cross the fences. 2 or 3 is all I want and I ain't hauling out a deer carcass just to hand it over to some wino that beats his wife and kids.

A Nebraska hunting license is good for small/upland game. A hunter must purchase, or draw for, big game tags for antelope, deer, elk, mountain lion, sheep, and turkey. The five management areas that I regularly hunt in are Blue Northwest, Blue Southeast, Missouri, River, and Wahoo. The Petrzilka buck was killed not far from where I have permission to hunt in the Wahoo MA, so while I have limited access in Wahoo, I always buy a buck tag for Wahoo with the hope that there is another B&C record buck out there waiting for me to show up in the same place at the same time.
© 24hourcampfire