Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
I saw an article about one of Amazon's Prime airplane landing with a smoking brake and I got to wondering just how many planes they have. It turns out that they have 50 right now and by 2021 they'll have 70. I also came across this - Amazon's pilots earn only about 1/4th to 1/3d as much as UPS or Fedex pilots. From what I've read about their pay scales, that doesn't surprise me.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Impossible.

You must have that backwards.

Amazon....being run by such wonderful progressive people....must actually pay 4 to 5 times higher!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Friend who went to flight school told me how it works , sounded like a job at mcDonalds would be a better job .

Companies who care about their employees and employees who care about the company they work for are rare .
Posted By: johnw Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Lots of regional airlines pay their pilots what amounts to minimum wage.

But hey... It's a job flying...
Posted By: Pugs Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Originally Posted by johnw
Lots of regional airlines pay their pilots what amounts to minimum wage.

But hey... It's a job flying...

For years being in a regional was a live in a van in the parking lot job. Not anymore. With the incredible, and growing worse, shortages of commercial pilots the regionals are being forced to not only pay much much better but also many form pathways to the major airlines for their crews. FAA changes in needed hours combined with the mandatory retirement age of 65 has driven competition.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
An Amazon job ain't much of a job.

I know, I worked for them for 7 years. The benefits are the only reason I stayed on as long as I did.

The benefits were great, until they gave everyone that raise to $15/hr. last year, and took away almost all the other benefits they gave (except health insurance, which is still pretty good). I left, after I apparently skeered one of their hypersensitive child employees and they got mad at me. The wife is still working there, she's fed up with them, too.

I don't buy anything from Amazon, and never will. It's a schitt job, no matter what you do there, whether you fly an airplane or pick product off a warehouse shelf.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Get ready for a schit ton of Pakistani pilots.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Don't know for sure, ratsmacker can correct, but most of the pilots they get are newbies looking for hours. My BIL when he got into the business 30 years ago he flew mail routes for little pay just to get the hours then moved into the regional s then onto the majors where he just retired. He has made the same comments about pilot shortages.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I saw an article about one of Amazon's Prime airplane landing with a smoking brake and I got to wondering just how many planes they have. It turns out that they have 50 right now and by 2021 they'll have 70. I also came across this - Amazon's pilots earn only about 1/4th to 1/3d as much as UPS or Fedex pilots. From what I've read about their pay scales, that doesn't surprise me.

They're gonna get the pilots they pay for.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-plane-used-amazon-crashes-texas-n975411
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Thought this was going to be a thread about a lot of tall, gorgeous, scantily clad stewardesses with guns.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Not in Amazon planes.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Get used to it.

Amazon is building both an air AND a ground force. Right now they are buying EVERY U.S. built Mercedes Sprinter that MB will allow them.to buy (MB still has an obligation to their dealers).......to the tune.of around 70-80% of all Sprinters made here (in SC).

UPS, FedEx and the USPS have cut Amazon so many cost breaks.over the years, allowing Amazon to build and build andBUILD.........like a Trojan horse at the gate. FedEx has seen the light and dumped Amazon's premium shipping option. UPS is opening the gate and letting the pretty horse in........

In under 10 years, Amazon will own either UPS or FedEx.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: The Amazon air force - 07/16/19
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Get used to it.

Amazon is building both an air AND a ground force. Right now they are buying EVERY U.S. built Mercedes Sprinter that MB will allow them.to buy (MB still has an obligation to their dealers).......to the tune.of around 70-80% of all Sprinters made here (in SC).

UPS, FedEx and the USPS have cut Amazon so many cost breaks.over the years, allowing Amazon to build and build andBUILD.........like a Trojan horse at the gate. FedEx has seen the light and dumped Amazon's premium shipping option. UPS is opening the gate and letting the pretty horse in........

In under 10 years, Amazon will own either UPS or FedEx.

Remember that Sears was once Number One, then it was Walmart. Amazon will crash and burn, just like the others did. It might take some time, but it will happen. Based on my experience in that warehouse I worked in, the poor management practices they show will make that crash sooner rather than later.
© 24hourcampfire