Home
Posted By: ST50 Westcliff Colorado - 07/25/19
Anybody spent time in Westcliff area? My daughter rented a place there for 6 days in a week &1/2. I would have preferred a little further west, but looking forward to it. We will have grandkids so we'll be running around doing some tourist things. I"m looking for flyfishing suggestions, rivers,creeks, maybe lake access. Just wondering, Thanks.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Westcliff Colorado - 07/25/19
Lots of high country lakes on the Sangre De Christo's. Cutthroat and brookies

Some are pretty remote and require quite a hike. The streams running down the mountain have a fair number of fish; although not as big as the lakes.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Westcliff Colorado - 07/25/19
Westcliff will make you think you are a lot further west.
My favorite place in Colorado that I want to go back to.
Posted By: Waygoner Re: Westcliff Colorado - 07/25/19
Take a drive south past San Isabel and visit Bishop's Castle. Kids will love it.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Westcliff Colorado - 07/25/19
Westcliffe CO is a GREAT place! Lots to do and see. Summertime climate is very pleasant.

DeWeese Reservoir is just outside of town. To the north are Cotopaxi and Texas Creek and the Arkansas River, fly fishing for trout- lots of public access in Big Horn Canyon.
Trails into the high country take you to the high peaks of the Sangre de Cristo range.
In the fall, there are spectacular aspen groves that provide great color.
Just to the west is Great Sand Dunes Natl. Monument. If you are into offroading, there are a number of trails and riding areas available.
If you have kids to entertain, as mentioned above, Bishops Castle is not far away, as well as the Florissant Fossil Beds.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Westcliff Colorado - 07/26/19
They are getting a lot of rain there now and in the mountains to the west.It has been that way for weeks now
Posted By: rost495 Re: Westcliff Colorado - 07/26/19
I always liked that area. Florrisant fossil beds are cool, as is all the area back in behind pikes peak, like ...gold camp maybe? I thought I would remember all the names... there was always something you could find to do.
Posted By: ST50 Re: Westcliff Colorado - 07/26/19
Encouraging replies. Looking forward to the trip. Thanks!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Westcliff Colorado - 07/26/19
Went hunting there when I was in High School. One of Dad's friends had a ranch close to there. went to a little creek that was dammed up by beavers. Caught a nice mess of trout for supper the first day. Gutted them and dropped in the snow as I caught them.Best tasting trout I ever had. The first pool I fished I caught 2 brookies. Left them in the snow and some birds stole both of them. I'll always remember it.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Westcliff Colorado - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by Waygoner
Take a drive south past San Isabel and visit Bishop's Castle. Kids will love it.

+1
© 24hourcampfire