Home
Posted By: Rooster7 Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
I've been watching this evening. Morgan flies his AIRPLANE out to set 30 traps to catch some fur to sell in order to have enough money to buy protein to survive the winter.

He caught two Pine Martin.

As he's getting back in his AIRPLANE, he says "now I gotta go home and find stuff to sell so I can buy some protein."

Ummm.....how about sell your FUGHKING AIRLPLANE?!
Posted By: Gus Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
those script writers and related are wearing me out.

but it is made for tv afterall.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
I only enjoyed the old timer, Tom. He and his wife.
When the others on i eat and drink beer.

Useless......i leave the room when hes on.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by Gus

I get it. It's just dumb that many people don't and think that is reality.
Originally Posted by hookeye
I only enjoyed the old timer, Tom. He and his wife.
When the others on i eat and drink beer.

Useless......i leave the room when hes on.

I like Tom as well. He is the most real person of all of them. By far.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
protein??? who the fugg calls food protein?

i hate tv. so glad we cancelled the cable.
What happened to the old guy that ran the dog's after mountain lions? I see they have a new guy doing it.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
I love it when they get stranded somewhere remote and act as if they are in a life threatening situation. Think the damn camera crew might be able to help?
Posted By: baxterb Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
I’ve had to have long conversations with a few people trying to get them to understand the BS that is “reality” TV.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Gus

The same producers that did our Custer documentary produce this show as well. The common thread that makes these guys mountain men is that they are all bearded, nothing more and certainly nothing about their prowess in the wilderness. Tom is as much a joke as any of them, who in their right mind would load up a peach basket with tools and put it on his back and go trapping wolves?
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Or when it’s -30 and they don’t have gloves on.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Gus

The same producers that did our Custer documentary produce this show as well. The common thread that makes these guys mountain men is that they are all bearded, nothing more and certainly nothing about their prowess in the wilderness. Tom is as much a joke as any of them, who in their right mind would load up a peach basket with tools and put it on his back and go trapping wolves?

Must be quite a few trappers, as trapping baskets are listed as an accessory.

http://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi...ket&title=Handmade-Wood-Pack-Baskets

Posted By: tpcollins Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by old_willys
What happened to the old guy that ran the dog's after mountain lions? I see they have a new guy doing it.

I don’t understand the chasing of mountain lions back to the high country. If they’re eating livestock I’d shoot the damn things instead of trying to scare them.

I always liked Marty but he told them to stick it.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by tpcollins

I don’t understand the chasing of mountain lions back to the high country. If they’re eating livestock I’d shoot the damn things instead of trying to scare them.

I always liked Marty but he told them to stick it.

Marty was my favorite on that show, followed by Tom. I also liked Rich, the first lion hunter.

Mountain Men is no different from any of the other reality shows, in that it is heavily scripted, and edited to be as dramatic as possible. I remember one episode when Marty's snowmobile broke down miles from camp, in below zero weather, and he had to walk back to camp at night. Look, does anyone seriously believe that he actually walked all that way back to camp? There was a camera crew there, with their own snowmobile, who could have easily towed him back, or gave him a ride back...which they most assuredly did. But, it makes for a good show to make the viewers think that poor ole Marty froze his azz off walking miles back to camp.

As far as chasing the mountain lions back up into the high country, and "teaching them a lesson," any one with a lick of sense knows this is pure BS. The only way to teach that lion a lesson is to shoot him. Again, it makes for good TV and gives the viewers the idea that some hunters are good and don't go around killing animals.

It was a better show when it first came on, and much more believable. They've added some new people, who's stories just don't add up, with Morgan being one of them. I don't know how he's like in real life, but on that show he comes across as a bumbling, fumbling, idiot who can't even tie his own shoes. The only thing he's doing right is figuring how to hang on to the chick that keeps him warm on those cold nights.

But, the biggest joke on the show in Eustace Conway, and his Turtle Island. I've read that he's pretty much fake.
That's it the first dog runner was Rich Lewis, I liked him better and got a kick out of the tiny camper with a wood stove he build on his old Willys truck.

I also could not under stand why they did not put down any of the mountain lions especially the one hanging near the school yard one season.
I've been watching this evening. Morgan flies his AIRPLANE out to set 30 traps to catch some fur to sell in order to have enough money to buy protein to survive the winter.

As he's getting back in his AIRPLANE, he says "now I gotta go home and find stuff to sell so I can buy some protein."

I don't know what Avgas or insurance on a plane costs, but he sure ain't breaking even on that proposition.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
"But, the biggest joke on the show in Eustace Conway, and his Turtle Island. I've read that he's pretty much fake."

He's had so many drug related run ins with the Watauga county sheriff that he should be doing time. Just another burnt out hippie from the 60's.

But my all time favorite is the show on Alaska Bush People. Was at a party about 5 years ago and it was on. One of the ass clown brothers was going bear hunting in a leisure suit. He picked up his rifle and I saw that the scope was mounted backwards. And dumb-ass people eat this sch!t like it's the gosple.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
[quote=CrowRifle)

But my all time favorite is the show on Alaska Bush People. Was at a party about 5 years ago and it was on. One of the ass clown brothers was going bear hunting in a leisure suit. He picked up his rifle and I saw that the scope was mounted backwards. And dumb-ass people eat this sch!t like it's the gosple. [/quote]

My wife likes that embarrassment of a show. I leave the room when it's on. I have given it a new title, "Short Bus Alaskans".
Originally Posted by Gus

Alotta people think the show Yellowstone is reality too. Seemingly even several on here.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Gus

Must be quite a few trappers, as trapping baskets are listed as an accessory.

http://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi...ket&title=Handmade-Wood-Pack-Baskets

Do you believe in the Easter bunny too?
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Bill here, hope the weekend will be good for all. Do ya hear some of the fur prices????? Wow, if we could have got those prices I'd be trapping again so fast. Tom caught a beaver on a recent show, worth $500.00 don't ya know!!!!!!!! Ridiculous??? Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
The reason they don't shoot the lions is easy-- they get paid to run them off time and again.
If they kill the lions, they have no job.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I love it when they get stranded somewhere remote and act as if they are in a life threatening situation. Think the damn camera crew might be able to help?

That is pretty funny... the 47 of them.

LMAO.

Don't know how true, but Tom says $500 for a beaver cause the skin is only part. He also makes gloves from the tail which he says are worth a couple hundred. He does go to jamboreers etc to sell his stuff and he is back logged.

Haven't seen it this year, other than 1 time, the new mountain lion guy is a downgrade. One funny thing I noticed they say they have to "find" the dogs and keep in range via sound, all the time the gps is on their belt and the dogs have collars.

My guess is Rich hung it up, he got busted up pretty bad last year. Fell out of a tree.

I get a kick out of Marty, living remote for months. And tom's cool old guy

Kind of like the Gold Miners working all summer for $2,000 but show up next season in new trucks with new camp trailers not to mention brand new excavators, dump trucks etc. The show itself must pay pretty good.........
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Bill here, hope the weekend will be good for all. Do ya hear some of the fur prices????? Wow, if we could have got those prices I'd be trapping again so fast. Tom caught a beaver on a recent show, worth $500.00 don't ya know!!!!!!!! Ridiculous??? Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣

That was the episode I watched last night. He said he makes money off the castoreum glands and makes knife sheaths and other stuff out of the tail. But yeah, the fur prices they talk about on there would have me out in a heart beat too!
All these "reality" shows are probably total nonsense. Just taking from my own area of experience, "Axemen" is ridiculous. Independent loggers, "gyppos" are serious , intelligent, small business owners. Their goal , like any contractor, is to extract the maximum profit from any given job, as long as it is consistent with safety (one of the highest operating costs is workmens compensation insurance and business liability insurance), customer satisfaction (the mill that usually buys the timber sale), and the most efficient way to achieve good production without undue wear and tear on his equipment. Gyppo loggers do NOT compete to see who gets the most production. They only compete in the sense that two or more loggers may be asked by the mill to enter competing bids on any given job. Often, because of past performance, a mill may not seek additional bids, and give the job to a logger with whom they have had a good history with. Do tempers flare on a job? Sure, occasionally...but I don't think it's anything unique to the logging industry, and it usually gets settled fast. Anybody that doesn't fit well in the team, usually moves on to someplace where they fit better. TV manufactured drama is BS and easy to spot.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
"But, the biggest joke on the show in Eustace Conway, and his Turtle Island. I've read that he's pretty much fake."

He's had so many drug related run ins with the Watauga county sheriff that he should be doing time. Just another burnt out hippie from the 60's.

I remember someone on here saying Eustace would come into town and like to be around the young girls - maybe he got that from Biden, or vice versa.

Good way to get your ass shot if you ask me.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
The intelligence bar these programs must clear ain't set that high. Remember, we are talking about a general population that elected Obama, not once, but TWICE!

They believe anything on the TeeVee and will continue doing so right up to the "Get in the boxcar and STFU" command is given.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
How about Mick Dodge
Went fishing with one of the boats from the OBX version of Tuna wars or whatever the [bleep] it's called. Wasn't intentional, just happened to be the guy taking us out after booking through a bait shop here on Carolla.
Don't want to put his or the boats name out there.... We had the best time we've ever had on a charter.....he was great with the 4 kids we took and caught 42 fish in 4 hours.

Anyway, he told us that the show is heavily staged. Buyers paying no where near the price shown on the show, dragging cinder blocks, staged arguments and fighting etc... Sounds like the northern boats are the "Stars" and get paid $500,000/boat and local boys here get $25,000 a boat. That's why there's a lot of new faces on new episodes.

I also could not under stand why they did not put down any of the mountain lions especially the one hanging near the school yard one season.

Killing Lions isn't PC......instead he "ran em out of the country".

Everybody knows a Lion could never find it's way back to it's home range.
Originally Posted by Partsman
How about Mick Dodge

Isn't that the guy that walked to a beach to swim naked with another dude? sick
Originally Posted by Partsman
How about Mick Dodge

Isn't that the guy that walked to a beach to swim naked with another dude? sick

Think they were actually anal 'noodling'!!!!!
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by flintlocke
All these "reality" shows are probably total nonsense. Just taking from my own area of experience, "Axemen" is ridiculous. Independent loggers, "gyppos" are serious , intelligent, small business owners. Their goal , like any contractor, is to extract the maximum profit from any given job, as long as it is consistent with safety (one of the highest operating costs is workmens compensation insurance and business liability insurance), customer satisfaction (the mill that usually buys the timber sale), and the most efficient way to achieve good production without undue wear and tear on his equipment. Gyppo loggers do NOT compete to see who gets the most production. They only compete in the sense that two or more loggers may be asked by the mill to enter competing bids on any given job. Often, because of past performance, a mill may not seek additional bids, and give the job to a logger with whom they have had a good history with. Do tempers flare on a job? Sure, occasionally...but I don't think it's anything unique to the logging industry, and it usually gets settled fast. Anybody that doesn't fit well in the team, usually moves on to someplace where they fit better. TV manufactured drama is BS and easy to spot.

This was my experience too. I worked for a few different outfits up in Humboldt/Trinity County and one out of Klamath Falls. None of them were hesitant to let a guy go. I remember being on the landing one time with the boss and the faller threw a fit when he got his bar hung up. Boss heard him cussing up a storm and the next day he was gone.

Boss and his family had been active in the church as far back as I can remember as a kid. Great guy to work for even though I wasn't exactly a church goer.

I hate watching those shows because of the fake drama, but like it because logging was a blast.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
The only "reality" show that may be close to unstaged is "Port Protection." The struggle to live there is genuine, for sure. And the people appear to be just as genuine.

I'll watch that one, but no others.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Mountain Men is no different from any of the other reality shows, in that it is heavily scripted, and edited to be as dramatic as possible. I remember one episode when Marty's snowmobile broke down miles from camp, in below zero weather, and he had to walk back to camp at night. Look, does anyone seriously believe that he actually walked all that way back to camp? There was a camera crew there, with their own snowmobile, who could have easily towed him back, or gave him a ride back...which they most assuredly did. But, it makes for a good show to make the viewers think that poor ole Marty froze his azz off walking miles back to camp.

But, the biggest joke on the show in Eustace Conway, and his Turtle Island. I've read that he's pretty much fake.

I have some 1st hand knowledge...................it's all pretty much fake, made-up BS & the relationship to reality is virtually non-existent.

The general areas may be real, but the specific settings are 100% all scripted & phony.

Anybody wasting time watching a single minute of it need serious help.....................

MM
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Discovery cancelled the Last Alaskans. They pay the participants only $25K per season. It was unscripted and the camera crews were told to stick it a couple of different times. They re-upped Yukon Men and I can tell you that sucker is pretty darned fake.
Posted By: MLC Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
I always wonder how much they get paid.
Dam I liked the Last Alaskans!
I liked Marty, I had read an interview with him in Field and Stream probably 10 years before the show came out. It kinda helped fuel my interest in the outdoors. I also read an article where he wanted to do the show pretty much only to provide a positive image for trapping.

I like Tom alright.

Yeah, the show is dramatized. There aren't too many shows out there showing anything like this. It's a nice escape from working in the hot humid south.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
[quote=kaboku68]Discovery cancelled the Last Alaskans. They pay the participants only $25K per season. It was unscripted and the camera crews were told to stick it a couple of different times. They re-upped Yukon Men and I can tell you that sucker is pretty darned fake.[

I liked the last Alaskans. Not so much to Alaskan short bus people!
Look we all know this type shows are developed to appeal to the city folk who don't know better--Heck Guardians of the Glades is just a couple of ole Crackers cashing in on the craze with a good looking hottie to make the ratings----But consider the alternative---do you really want to watch the crap on network TV?
I take these shows with a LARGE grain of salt---and sometimes get a kick to boot--and yes Eustace is USELESS!
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Discovery cancelled the Last Alaskans. They pay the participants only $25K per season. It was unscripted and the camera crews were told to stick it a couple of different times. They re-upped Yukon Men and I can tell you that sucker is pretty darned fake.

The guy I know from Mountain Men was making a LOT more than 25K.

MM
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Mountain Men....Again... - 07/26/19
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I have some 1st hand knowledge...................it's all pretty much fake, made-up BS & the relationship to reality is virtually non-existent.

The general areas may be real, but the specific settings are 100% all scripted & phony.

Anybody wasting time watching a single minute of it need serious help.....................

MM

You're right, but they might look at it as if it's a good paying job, and they need the money. I wouldn't hold that against anyone.

If you get right down to it, most TV is a waste of time......but there is a reason we call it entertainment. Personally, I don't see a lot of difference between watching Mountain Men than watching a John Wayne movie, or an old Three Stooges short film. It is what it is.....something that was filmed, edited, and put on the screen to provide us with a way to relax and get our mind off other things.

The fact that it is BS and fake is somewhat irrelevant, because we all know what it is. Yes, that dramatic scene on MM of one of the characters coming "close to death" was indeed scripted to look real, but then John Wayne never shot an Injun or a Jap either.
© 24hourcampfire