Home
The wife and I see eye to eye on most things, but while it is not an insurmountable issue with us, she doesn't seem to remember her early TV training watching the magpies Heckle and Jeckle eat corn on the cob the using the correct typewriter method. Her logic says that she needs a cleaner handhold on both ends and because the center cools slower than the outsides, naturally a person would use the angering method. Being an individual 3-4 row bitterer myself, the salt adheres better to the recently buttered rows and with a downward rotation, one's chin stays butter free. We are at an impasse here, so as a last resort she told me to ask the fellas. What is the best way? I will abide by the decision, her, probably not. Like with most things we always discuss it, then do it her way. I'm digging in my heals on this one though.
if you have a wife that tells you how to eat you need a new wife
You are correct , but if you’re not getting butter on you , you’re not using enough. And salt, enough to burn your lips . blood pressure be damned
A good wife can insert a whole ear and pull out just the cob.
Originally Posted by Windfall
We are at an impasse here, so as a last resort she told me to ask the fellas.

She should know better than that.
I'm afraid you have a far too limited and simplistic view of the varieties available for eating corn on the cob. Mine is usually eaten without butter nor salt. I used to think it not palatable 'till the butter was running off my elbow. I start with the big end in my left hand, small in my right and peal it off with my top teeth going from left to right. A friend, my age 80, pulls out his old Buck, slices it from the cob into a bowl, adds butter, garlic salt and gums away. Wife of 55 years eats hers with butter only and with an upstroke of the lower jaw starting on the small end and going around as your wife does. She progresses in those circles from small end held in her left hand to the large end in her right. Those are but three variations from three people and you described two more. There are so many more.
Eating corn on the cob is not a proper technique, my friend, it's an art!
Downward rotation keeps my mustache from wiping butter and salt off the upper levels. I always start at the small end, working towards the big finale at the stem. This is all just common sense. If someone has a better way to eat corn I'm all ears.
Side to side.

Left to right.

Big end to little end. Butter and salt.
Tip: Apply butter with a fork, not a knife. A fork holds the butter pat firmly.

In Mexico, they apply a layer of mayo, then a sprinkling of Tajin spice. It's delicious that way. (Tajin is comprised of sea salt, crystal lime juice, and red pepper.)

As to the mechanics of how you get it from cob to stomach, there is no wrong way. (Unlike how to load a dishwasher...)
Shove the whole ear up the azzz first then use butter and salt to remove the schitt taste.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Side to side.

Left to right.

^^^^^THIS for sure^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Morewood
Downward rotation keeps my mustache from wiping butter and salt off the upper levels. I always start at the small end, working towards the big finale at the stem. This is all just common sense. If someone has a better way to eat corn I'm all ears.

This is my method and my my reasoning. Butter and salt. With the butter dripping off of my elbows.
If forced to eat it off the cob, it’s side to side. Which end and direction is purely preference.

My preference is cut it onto the plate. An ear of corn makes a surprisingly big pile.

No matter the method, large quantities of butter, salt, and pepper make it better.
Side to side.

Left to right.

This is me.
Side to side.

Left to right.

Yup! Like Uncle Hub.

(Secondhand Lions ref. )
If you aren’t rolling that ear of corn in best foods mayonnaise and liberal amounts of salt and pepper then I’m not sure why you’d be wanting to eat it in the first place?
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

In Mexico, they apply a layer of mayo, then a sprinkling of Tajin spice. It's delicious that way. (Tajin is comprised of sea salt, crystal lime juice, and red pepper.)

As to the mechanics of how you get it from cob to stomach, there is no wrong way. (Unlike how to load a dishwasher...)

Anymore, we spin the ear on top of the butter bar.

Thorough, even, and heavy coverage.
Pretty much side to side (big to little or little to big doesn't matter). I like mine with butter and Con Yeager wing dust seasoning.... gooood stuff!
Originally Posted by aalf
[Linked Image]

😂
so, guys, what you are really doing is eating corn off the cob, right??
Originally Posted by Cheesy

My preference is cut it onto the plate. An ear of corn makes a surprisingly big pile.

My requirement.

I won't eat the chit off the cob. I'll CUT it off and butter, salt & pepper it and chow down. But I hate fuggin corn in my teeth for two days, toothpick and toothbrush or not. 😡
Side to side.

Left to right.

This is my method as well.
It is good to see some consensus from the Midwest corn growing states and dunking the whole ear into a vat of Wisconsin melted butter like they do here at the fair would drip off the elbows nicely. Butter and one of you mentioned mayonnaise plus salt to keep the blood pressure up with nice small bore arteries. What more could your cardiologist ask for? I can see that I'll need to pay more attention from which end I start on from now on, but always left to right.
Give it to a hog and turn it into bacon.
Tip:..... (Unlike how to load a dishwasher...)

Rocky;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope all is well with you folks down in your part of the world.

Thanks for the good chuckle sir, I had hoped I wasn't the only one who after all these years didn't load the dishwasher correctly! laugh laugh

I'll note that I do my own laundry every week successfully so it's not that I can't run any domestic machinery, but the dishwasher is another matter entirely.

All the best to you folks as we head into fall Rocky.

Dwayne

PS;
No thoughts on corn on the cob from me, sorry.

There isn't - as far as I'm able to ascertain anyway - a preferred single method amongst Canucks.
Originally Posted by bigshot1975
If you aren’t rolling that ear of corn in best foods mayonnaise and liberal amounts of salt and pepper then I’m not sure why you’d be wanting to eat it in the first place?

If your corn needs mayo you need better corn.
Try some Bodacious.
Good corn on the cob is some of the best eating a fella can get!

Butter, salt, and maybe pepper. Sometimes switch it up with some Johnnys or other seasoning. It don’t matter.

Don’t care how I chew it off.
Olathe sweet corn from Colorado’s west slope is some of the best I ever lifted a lip over.
https://imgur.com/gallery/T9xcB82#NbHDqmc
Originally Posted by ironbender

Amateurs. wink

Heavily butter a piece of bread. Wrap it around the cob and roll it until the cob sufficiently buttered. Salt accordingly. May substitute garlic salt and grated Parm. Reuse bread as needed. You can reload the bread as well. Toss it at the end of the meal.

The best is corn at the Wisconsin State Fair grilled in the ear, then dunked in a coffee can of melted butter. Heaven.

My preference is cut it onto the plate.

This is how the commies win.
I agree with Jim Conrad
Just had some for supper
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by bigshot1975

If your corn needs mayo you need better corn.
Try some Bodacious.

Peaches and Cream. White and yeller. Goodness gracious it’s good.
Correct way to eat corn on the cob................................... really?

Butter, salt, whatever............chow down.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by ironbender

Amateurs. wink

Heavily butter a piece of bread. Wrap it around the cob and roll it until the cob sufficiently buttered. Salt accordingly. May substitute garlic salt and grated Parm. Reuse bread as needed. You can reload the bread as well. Toss it at the end of the meal.

The best is corn at the Wisconsin State Fair grilled in the ear, then dunked in a coffee can of melted butter. Heaven.

You took wrong to a new level.

Extra unnecessary step, wasted bread slice, and butter left behind.
😜😜😂
Burris Coons choice. You dont need no butter or salt.
Originally Posted by kid0917
so, guys, what you are really doing is eating corn off the cob, right??

No sir. We-uns is a-arguin’ ‘bout who doin’ it wrong.
Defiantly!
According to my youngest grandson, Anson, You HAVE to use "corn spears" ! smile smile smile
Eatin' corn on the cob is like eatin' pork at a pig pickin', if you don't have grease in your eyebrows you aint eatin' it right.

Anybody who cuts it off the cob first probably eats a slice of pizza from the big end, or worse, with a fork.
Originally Posted by Yoder409

My requirement.

I won't eat the chit off the cob. I'll CUT it off and butter, salt & pepper it and chow down. But I hate fuggin corn in my teeth for two days, toothpick and toothbrush or not. 😡

Butter and salt

How it gets into your stomach is your business.
Side to side.

Left to right.

Once again, Jim is the voice of reason on our otherwise chaotic website.
I prefer to taste my food. No additives.
Originally Posted by Snyper
A good wife can insert a whole ear and pull out just the cob.

Ouch!
Side to side.

Left to right.

You and around 90% of the population. I've been doing an unofficial study on this for many years.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by Windfall
We are at an impasse here, so as a last resort she told me to ask the fellas.

She should know better than that.

Probably just wants him to suffer.
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Side to side.

Left to right.

You and around 90% of the population. I've been doing an unofficial study on this for many years.

Another vote...
Sweet corn is sweeter, but field corn has more body and flavor. Soup vs meat.
UGGGGHHHHH!!!

I have to go pick about 200 ears of G-90 sweet today. I been in denial for a couple of days as I pass those browning silks while on the mower.

Guess today will be chilling under a shade tree shucking sweet corn, toothbrushing silks and blanching.
First off you need good corn. Somebody said Bodacious. Yes. Real yellow, high sugar, 72 day variety. Those 62, 64 day varieties with the gimmicky names (butter and sugar, silver queen) are just like “red delicious “ apples: all marketing, no substance and no flavor.

I like it raw, right out in the field. If I’m out picking corn, by the time I’ve got a feed sack full I’ve eaten for or five ears. Cooked, I like it with butter and black pepper. If you have good corn you don’t need salt to provide the illusion of sweetness. It’s got to be fresh. If it’s not eaten the day it’s picked we feed it or throw it out.

Now, as to the mechanics of eating it, if all the above conditions are met, it doesn’t matter. Personally, I like to start at the big end and go around until I’ve got two inches cleaned kernel free, then typewriter three rows at a time until done.
How many armchair sweet corn dalai lamas in this thread actually have sweet corn in the yard they can go pick? Today, right defawq now?
There was a similar thread last year that drew the attention of some goody two-shoes who posted a lecture on the nutritional evils of sweet corn. Hope he spares us this time. We know what the fugg we're eating.
Originally Posted by slumlord
How many armchair sweet corn dalai lamas in this thread actually have sweet corn in the yard they can go pick? Today, right defawq now?

Not me, takes up too much space in the garden. My neighborhood produce store gets corn all season long, starting with SC early on, right up to September when it comes from PA.
© 24hourcampfire