Home
Posted By: roundoak "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
No, not a politician or lawyer.

I distracted it and my wife got a closeup picture.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: viking Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
What is that?
Posted By: nmitchell Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Originally Posted by viking
What is that?

A snake !!!
Corn snake?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: viking Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Originally Posted by nmitchell
What is that?

A snake !!!

Nah, I thought it was a shovel ready job 😁
Posted By: RDW Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Bullsnake

I never kept a Bullsnake growing up and the big ones have bad attitudes.
Posted By: roundoak Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Bull snakes or Gopher snakes are welcome around our farms.
Posted By: tomk Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
She took a cool pic. Small one or big one?

My wife freaks over snakes in general.

We been at our place for over 40 years and yesterday I saw my first puff adder ever. Crossing the driveway he put on a good show when I got close, then resorted to rolling over, puking up three frogs and playing dead. In a few minutes he was back in the jungle...borders the "yard".

This used to be blue racer central and black snakes too, but now we seldom see them.
Posted By: RDW Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Puff Adder?

Maybe a Hognose?
The color looked like a western hognose to me.

Ferocious...:)
Posted By: byron Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Same here. Where you see bull snakes here, you don't see rattle snakes.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
What is that?

PM Renegade.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Nice photography here... Interesting, too. But I wonder how many other than myself figured it was gonna be something political.
Bull snakes take on rattlesnakes?

eat the young?
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Pine snake? We have pine snakes around our place in NE WI, best mousers you could hope to have!
Posted By: Huntz Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Thats a pine snake.Good mousers.
Posted By: horse1 Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Originally Posted by tomk
We been at our place for over 40 years and yesterday I saw my first puff adder ever.

Puff Adder? Do you have a summer home in Africa?
Posted By: MOGC Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Originally Posted by horse1
We been at our place for over 40 years and yesterday I saw my first puff adder ever.

LOL... I have most often heard Hognose snakes called either Puff Adder or Puff Viper by my fellow Ozark hillbillies. Especially older folks. We have Eastern Hognose here and if you use that to name the snake the hillbillies think you're getting mighty uppity. About the same for the Eastern Collared Lizard that are found on the rocky glades of the Ozarks. Old timers call them "Glade Bitches!" The Eastern Collared Lizard when scared will stand on its hind legs and run upright. It is an eye opener to the uninitiated hiking city folks that have never had a Glade Bitch run at them before. : )
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Better than theses!
[Linked Image][/quote]
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Better than theses!
[Linked Image]

[/quote]
Fugg them Copperheads.

Always running around pissed off looking for something to bite.
Posted By: horse1 Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Better than theses!
[Linked Image]

[/quote]

You did a right fine job in training them to lay so still for a pic........
Better than theses!
[Linked Image]

laffin...
Somebody did!
Posted By: Nebraska Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Better than theses!
[Linked Image]

laffin...
Somebody did!

They don't look beat up....what's the story with those?
She took a cool pic. Small one or big one?

My wife freaks over snakes in general.

We been at our place for over 40 years and yesterday I saw my first puff adder ever. Crossing the driveway he put on a good show when I got close, then resorted to rolling over, puking up three frogs and playing dead. In a few minutes he was back in the jungle...borders the "yard".

This used to be blue racer central and black snakes too, but now we seldom see them.

Estimated at about 3 feet.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Thats a pine snake.Good mousers.

Sent the photo to a local retired Wisconsin DNR Biologist and she confirmed that it was a Bull snake. The give away was not only the pattern, but the three segments looks like it is three snakes.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Better than theses!
[Linked Image]

laffin...
Somebody did!

They don't look beat up....what's the story with those?

I don't know about those, I just grabbed the pic from another site.
When I was younger we used to grab them by the tail real quick and whip them like a bull whip and it would kill them instantly with no sign of trauma. Have killed em by smacking them right behind the head with a thin switch, that will generally kill em without breaking the skin too.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
All I see is a bunch of hatbands and grips........
Posted By: xverminator Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Originally Posted by MOGC

LOL... I have most often heard Hognose snakes called either Puff Adder or Puff Viper by my fellow Ozark hillbillies. Especially older folks. We have Eastern Hognose here and if you use that to name the snake the hillbillies think you're getting mighty uppity. About the same for the Eastern Collared Lizard that are found on the rocky glades of the Ozarks. Old timers call them "Glade Bitches!" The Eastern Collared Lizard when scared will stand on its hind legs and run upright. It is an eye opener to the uninitiated hiking city folks that have never had a Glade Bitch run at them before. : )

Interesting! Eastern Collared Lizards are often referred to as "Mountain Boomers" in my portion of the Ozarks...

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
Better than theses!
[Linked Image]

[/quote]

I don’t see any bullet holes or shovel marks. I assume they’re dead and not sleeping?
Eastern or Western Hognose is the highflutin name, Puff Adder or Puff Viper for the show they put on, no doubt--like a cobra imitation with the flared hood. I remember seeing them as a kid but don't recall if it was in Indiana or Michigan.

He really put on the dog before rolling over to play dead. Must have something in common with possums...

Roundoak--that is a cool looking snake with the three patterns. I don't think Michigan has those. I used to see both blue racers and black snakes pretty regularly but of late they are pretty scarce.

Bobby Tomek gave me a rundown on Texas Copperheads--they won't be missed here...:)
Posted By: kkahmann Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/28/19
I have heard that copperheads smell like cucumbers. Is that true?
Canadian Whitefish freshly dressed and packed in ice certainly do.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by roundoak
Bull snakes or Gopher snakes are welcome around our farms.

I never harm these guys and am glad they thrive here. They help keep the gophers and mice populations in check. I often have to grab one by the tail and take it back outside. They find ways to get into the house, and the wife isn't all warm and fuzzy about that.

Best leave them alone. They're your friend.
Posted By: blanket Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
I have a Bullsnake that lives near my shed that is huge and slow, nobody causes him any trouble and he reciprocates. Been around at least 6 years now. Find sheds inside among the tools
Posted By: SamOlson Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
This past spring I was pulling our old air drill along the edge of a field when I see good sized bull snake up ahead trying to make it into the grass. He wasn't gonna get there in time so I slowed up and swung the drill the away. Made a quick loop back into line and carried on.

I like to think that the snake was thankful.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
I is a snake killing fool now.

Sunsabitches.
They eat your rabbit eggs?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
Hahaha!

They got no respect!

I used to give em a pass...unless they were in the house. Sometimes they are in the house.....

That was before the kid got bit on the boot by a rattle snake.

We shoots first and ask no questions.
Posted By: MOGC Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by xverminator
Originally Posted by MOGC

Interesting! Eastern Collared Lizards are often referred to as "Mountain Boomers" in my portion of the Ozarks...

X-VERMINATOR

Yeah, I've heard them called the same here also. I guess the more polite use the Boomer moniker.
That's what you get for living out in the sticks you damn hillbilly!
Originally Posted by kkahmann

I've always heard that. Never noticed any particular smell in my experience. I worked for the Missouri Dept. of Natural Resources straight out of college as a Naturalist and kept some snakes at my park for various programs with campers, visitors and local groups. In the venomous department I had a decent size copperhead, a 5' timber rattlesnake and a cottonmouth moccasin. The copperhead was a very good eater and his strike on a mouse was quite fast. Fast enough to be scary, I knew I was never going to get out of his way should he choose to bite me. The cottonmouth was very pissy and irritable. The rattlesnake was pretty placid and easy going. The timber just wanted a baby chicken once in awhile and he seemed content.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That's what you get for living out in the sticks you damn hillbilly!

I like the sticks. Cities and people make me nervous.
Touche...
Posted By: Heym06 Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
I read the name of this post, and thought you met my first wife. Nice snake picture!
Posted By: slumlord Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by kkahmann

I don't know for certain, but when I do smell (and have) cucumbers while picking black berries, I GTFO of them vines. . 🙀
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
I've had quite a number of what are called bull snakes or gopher snakes. The biggest, as I recall, was a good 6 feet long. In my experience, "attitude" is more dependant on where they come from rather than the size. The two I caught around Monteray Bay, CA had bad attitudes; I would have probably had to pay the rest of them to bite me.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
been on this place close to 10 years, never seen a hognosed snake here. But a couple weeks ago, one was on the driveway in front of the barn. Must have been a momma snake, because there was a baby one in the barn a few days ago. It was maybe 8-9 inches long. So I cotched him up and put him in a horsecandy bucket. Cute, pretty little chit.... I let him loose yesterday.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the spawn....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Go. Go. You're Free. Free.....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tomk Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
Nice pics. Appears to me those patterns are pretty close to some of the more nasty ones--but we don't have enough snake to see frequently. Looking at pics on the net, there seems to be a fair amount of individual pattern variation or I just need more practice.

Neighbor has/had a gimpy black snake around his barn that is as tame as wild snakes get, I imagine. He has to be close to 8' or was anyway the last time I saw him go by us. The last really good sized blue racer in the 5-6" foot class around the house was comfortable enough sunning himself on the sidewalk that you could step over him and he would just carry on. Carol lost it one day when he was gliding thru her flower bed while she was weeding and after that the Shepherd harassed him until he left for other places. Prior to that the dog was ok with him--kinda pretended he wasn't there...:) It is a shame because racers eat a lot of mice.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by xverminator

Interesting! Here "mountain boomer" is an alternate name for a "mountain beaver", Aplodontia rufa. Couple place names refer to them like "Boomer Hill" over by the coast.

Tom
Last blue racer I saw had a toad head first in its mouth with the toad croaking like hell!
Headfirst...tough to back out for a toad--imagine Elijah Cummings can empathize...:)
Posted By: byron Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
Never witnessed it, but supposedly they do kill rattlesnakes.
Posted By: saddlering Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
Lots of Hog Nosed snakes around here, also racers! I did see a pretty corn snake last summer, about 2 ft. long but thin! 1st one id ever seen in Michigan!
Posted By: Gus Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
we don't see snakes like we use to see.

but plenty of dogs, and humans getting bitten by copperheads.

they must be the snake of choice here lately. when we gardened, we had puff adders.

and garter snakes, mean little suckers. and i'd find corn snakes (rat snakes) on occasion.

we don't even see snakes run over on the road like we use to see. the reptiles are under attack?
it could be their food supply, Gus--but most likely in Michigan, its alien abduction...:)
Posted By: DHN Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
When I first moved to my present house there were numerous gophers in the yard and nearby. I caught three bull snakes and turned them loose in the yard, including a six-footer. Within two years there were no more gophers nearby, and the population in a neighbor's pasture was decreasing, too (with some help from my .22). About that time, I saw a huge bull snake crossing my two-track driveway; it's head was in the grass on one side, while it's tail was still off the track on the other. It must have been at least 8 feet!

I've never seen one eat a rattler, but have never seen a rattler within 3/4 mile of my house.

I, too, like having them around.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: "Snake in the grass" - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by Fubarski
What is that?

PM Renegade.

Ain't got a PM yet...
Woulda been a better pic of it minus its head.

Hahahaha!!!
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Better than theses!
[Linked Image]

I don’t see any bullet holes or shovel marks. I assume they’re dead and not sleeping?
[/quote]
Someone did a Pol Pot on em?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

They got no respect!

I used to give em a pass...unless they were in the house. Sometimes they are in the house.....

That was before the kid got bit on the boot by a rattle snake.

We shoots first and ask no questions.

Sebrenejcia all them mofos.....
Specially when ya notice you have walked under one 3 times 2ft directly over your head clinging to the siding on your porch. While getting ready to take out dog #3 for a piss before you go to bed.

Then let all the herpitologist on 24hr ID it for ya.
Like it means something if you mistakenly misidentify a dead snake.
Only pics I take of snakes anyways are dead fugging snakes.
Kill em all and let the "experts" on here sort em out... Hahaha!!!
Gives em that "Gotcha" satisfaction feeling for a little while.
When ya live your life vicariously thru the internet like many on here. Some of us that dont take the land of 1,s and 0,s as seriously as others do, dont mind 1 bit helping their lame daily life with something different every so often.

LMFAO!!!!
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: "Snake in the grass" - 08/25/19
This little fellow may have bit of more than he could chew or at least swallow. Took this yesterday on my property.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: "Snake in the grass" - 08/25/19
I stepped on a copperhead the size of ones on the bucket lid about 3 hours ago. end of frick'en driveway.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: "Snake in the grass" - 08/25/19
Originally Posted by renegade50

When ya live your life vicariously thru the internet like many on here. Some of us that dont take the land of 1,s and 0,s as seriously as others do, dont mind 1 bit helping their lame daily life with something different every so often.

LMFAO!!!!
Says the man with almost 12,000 posts...without counting his alter ego...
© 24hourcampfire