Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That's what you get for living out in the sticks you damn hillbilly!

I like the sticks. Cities and people make me nervous.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Touche...

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I read the name of this post, and thought you met my first wife. Nice snake picture!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I have heard that copperheads smell like cucumbers. Is that true?
Canadian Whitefish freshly dressed and packed in ice certainly do.

I don't know for certain, but when I do smell (and have) cucumbers while picking black berries, I GTFO of them vines. . 🙀

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had quite a number of what are called bull snakes or gopher snakes. The biggest, as I recall, was a good 6 feet long. In my experience, "attitude" is more dependant on where they come from rather than the size. The two I caught around Monteray Bay, CA had bad attitudes; I would have probably had to pay the rest of them to bite me.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
been on this place close to 10 years, never seen a hognosed snake here. But a couple weeks ago, one was on the driveway in front of the barn. Must have been a momma snake, because there was a baby one in the barn a few days ago. It was maybe 8-9 inches long. So I cotched him up and put him in a horsecandy bucket. Cute, pretty little chit.... I let him loose yesterday.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the spawn....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Go. Go. You're Free. Free.....
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice pics. Appears to me those patterns are pretty close to some of the more nasty ones--but we don't have enough snake to see frequently. Looking at pics on the net, there seems to be a fair amount of individual pattern variation or I just need more practice.

Neighbor has/had a gimpy black snake around his barn that is as tame as wild snakes get, I imagine. He has to be close to 8' or was anyway the last time I saw him go by us. The last really good sized blue racer in the 5-6" foot class around the house was comfortable enough sunning himself on the sidewalk that you could step over him and he would just carry on. Carol lost it one day when he was gliding thru her flower bed while she was weeding and after that the Shepherd harassed him until he left for other places. Prior to that the dog was ok with him--kinda pretended he wasn't there...:) It is a shame because racers eat a lot of mice.

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by xverminator
Interesting! Eastern Collared Lizards are often referred to as "Mountain Boomers" in my portion of the Ozarks...

Interesting! Here "mountain boomer" is an alternate name for a "mountain beaver", Aplodontia rufa. Couple place names refer to them like "Boomer Hill" over by the coast.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Last blue racer I saw had a toad head first in its mouth with the toad croaking like hell!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Headfirst...tough to back out for a toad--imagine Elijah Cummings can empathize...:)

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Never witnessed it, but supposedly they do kill rattlesnakes.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Lots of Hog Nosed snakes around here, also racers! I did see a pretty corn snake last summer, about 2 ft. long but thin! 1st one id ever seen in Michigan!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we don't see snakes like we use to see.

but plenty of dogs, and humans getting bitten by copperheads.

they must be the snake of choice here lately. when we gardened, we had puff adders.

and garter snakes, mean little suckers. and i'd find corn snakes (rat snakes) on occasion.

we don't even see snakes run over on the road like we use to see. the reptiles are under attack?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
it could be their food supply, Gus--but most likely in Michigan, its alien abduction...:)

Defend the Constitution
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When I first moved to my present house there were numerous gophers in the yard and nearby. I caught three bull snakes and turned them loose in the yard, including a six-footer. Within two years there were no more gophers nearby, and the population in a neighbor's pasture was decreasing, too (with some help from my .22). About that time, I saw a huge bull snake crossing my two-track driveway; it's head was in the grass on one side, while it's tail was still off the track on the other. It must have been at least 8 feet!

I've never seen one eat a rattler, but have never seen a rattler within 3/4 mile of my house.

I, too, like having them around.

Dale

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by viking
What is that?

PM Renegade.

Ain't got a PM yet...
Woulda been a better pic of it minus its head.

Hahahaha!!!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Better than theses!
[Linked Image]

I don’t see any bullet holes or shovel marks. I assume they’re dead and not sleeping?
[/quote]
Someone did a Pol Pot on em?

Last edited by renegade50; 07/29/19.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

They got no respect!

I used to give em a pass...unless they were in the house. Sometimes they are in the house.....

That was before the kid got bit on the boot by a rattle snake.

We shoots first and ask no questions.

Sebrenejcia all them mofos.....
Specially when ya notice you have walked under one 3 times 2ft directly over your head clinging to the siding on your porch. While getting ready to take out dog #3 for a piss before you go to bed.

Then let all the herpitologist on 24hr ID it for ya.
Like it means something if you mistakenly misidentify a dead snake.
Only pics I take of snakes anyways are dead fugging snakes.
Kill em all and let the "experts" on here sort em out... Hahaha!!!
Gives em that "Gotcha" satisfaction feeling for a little while.
When ya live your life vicariously thru the internet like many on here. Some of us that dont take the land of 1,s and 0,s as seriously as others do, dont mind 1 bit helping their lame daily life with something different every so often.

LMFAO!!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 07/29/19.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This little fellow may have bit of more than he could chew or at least swallow. Took this yesterday on my property.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I stepped on a copperhead the size of ones on the bucket lid about 3 hours ago. end of frick'en driveway.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,366
Posts18,527,291
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.