Home
I couldn't resist!
I know, I know, there are lots of liberals acting in the movie, along with the director, producer, writer etc etc etc.
But I had to see it.
I gave it a surprisingly low 81 out of a possible 100.
I thought it would be better as I have really enjoyed most all of Tarantino's other movies (8 of them).
If for no other reason its worth seeing because of the multitude of period correct (1969 and earlier) cool cars!
Then theres the music - lots of great music.
Someone went through an immense amount of time, effort and money to make this long movie!
And finally I haven't heard the term "youfuckinhippies" used so many times since I was a young policeman in the late 1960s walking the beat on "the Ave" (University District's hippie hangout, in Seattle's north end back then)!
That brought joy to me.
Anyway I hesitatingly recommend you see it and I will not ruin the storyline here or anywhere, for anyone - but my advice is if you are thinking about seeing it see it SOON - cause word is gonna get out.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I went to see it last night. Yes it is a long movie, and I yawned (out loud) about half way through, and the couple in front of me looked back, perhaps thinking I was having a heart attack. Agree the cars were cool. The out take on Clint Eastwood's career were things I did not know. Charles Manson's visit to Roman Polanski's house, thinking it was still Dennis Wilson's house was a cool little fact thrown in there. Of course the main event of the movie is the Charles Manson element, and the ending is typical Tarantino and given the way he would have had the tragic events unfold.

Sharan Tate, Roman Polanski, Charles Manson
Saw it Friday night on a spur of the moment decision. I was expecting something different but still enjoyed the retro theme, cars, music & characters.
I would see it again.
What a scumbag Roman Polanski is.
Hmm, yep, line a liberals pocket, hey, why not? They certainly support our gun rights and freedom, and if you can't resist, well, you can't resist...
Posted By: RAS Re: Once Upon A Time, In Hollywood - 07/29/19
No thanks. Hollywood is going to have to find some other place to get money other than me. Especially that crowd of actors and director.
I will see it in a few years on the tv. I don’t go to movie theaters
Originally Posted by AB2506
What a scumbag Roman Polanski is.

Typical specimen of his ilk.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
[quote=AB2506]What a scumbag Roman Polanski is.

Typical specimen of his ilk.
[/quote
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rajmund Roman Thierry Polański (born 18 August 1933) is a French-Polish[3] film director, producer, writer, and actor. Since 1978, he has been a fugitive from the U.S. criminal justice system, having fled the country while awaiting sentencing in his sexual abuse case, in which he pleaded guilty to statutory rape.[2]

Polanski was born in Paris, and his Polish-Jewish parents moved the family back to Poland in 1936
OrangeOakie: Yes I enjoyed the "historical" references to other Hollywood types and old timey places in Hollywood (including the Playboy Mansion, places on Sunset Blvd. etc),
The woman playing the part of Sharon Tate was just absolutely stunningly beautiful - good for her!
And some of the other Hollywood Stars that were portrayed in the movie were extremely well cast/played.
Again I won't spoil any of the surprises for those wishing to see it in the future.
I see this morning that the movie made $41,000,000.00 (forty one million dollars).
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Yep, ilk indeed.
$8 candy bars and negroes,
fugg going to "the movies"
Originally Posted by slumlord
$8 candy bars and negroes,
fugg going to "the movies"

And don't forget dumbschit clueless white folk.

Narrative be strong.
Ruffcutt: I may see it again as well. I had to drive 70 miles to a theater yesterday that was showing the film - so will wait to see it locally if it comes to my town.
I did look up the movie and it cost $90,000,000.00 (ninety million dollars!) to make and with the first three days bringing in $41,000,000.00 (forty one million dollars!) in the U.S. alone it no doubt will put a lot of money in a lot of liberals pockets by the time its over. In other words HUGE profits are in store shortly for Tarantino (writer, producer and director!)!
The beautiful actress who played Sharon Tate by the way, is named Margot Robbie - again, she is a sight to behold!
Over the years I have often wondered what is going on in Quentin Taratinos mind?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Slumlord: Careful there YOU could be branded a "racist"!
By the way the theater I attended had over 100 patrons and there were no "negroes" (I think its spelled n-e-g-r-o-s by the way) at all in my theater.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Everybody race out and watch the movie empowering hollywood is good , get nfl season tickets while you're out about - pick up some Levi's too .
Ol mike: What do you suggest then in the way of entertainment, life enrichment, education and personal enjoyment?
The Hunting season is NOT year round here and I can only eat so many fish.
Maybe we (the rest of the world besides you!) should just sit in our homes and piss and moan.
Yeah I already acknowledged that some of my money left Butte, Montana and made its way to hollywood, kalifornicationkopia!
And I will repeat this - I enjoyed the movie.
I have been going to movies for 66 of my 72 years as of now and will pick and choose what movies I will attend in the future - being mindful of my monies spent.
Maybe we should all live like you and not send our children to a high school or a college or never turn on a T.V. - God forbid buying a newspaper or a piece of art or an object of art?
For your information ol mike liberals are everywhere, you may not like it and I don't like it, but I am not going to become a paranoid hermit stuck in my house at this stage in my life.
I am happy that you are happy not going to ball games or movies - so be that.
I hope your quality of life and outlook on life makes you happy.
I even liked the dog in this movie and there was a two toned 1957 Chevrolet that showed in a few scenes that I literally drooled over!
Yeah well worth the $7.50 I spent to get in.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: The VarmintWife just called me this morning as she is out on the west coast visiting relatives and friends and she went with her sister to this movie on Bainbridge Island there in Puget Sound country.
25 minutes into the movie a false fire alarm evacuated the theater and everyone had to walk outside and wait for 30 minutes while the theater was checked!
Everyone was offered refunds but no one took them up on the offer - they had to restart the movie from the beginning, once the patrons were re-seated.
ol mike that wasn't some of your handi-work was it?
I bought into all the movie/tv etc. for many years had everything cable companies offered , I choose to spend my money and time differently these days .
When I figured out that I was a partner in bankrolling the communist who're hellbent on wrecking this great country I decided to stop helping the communist .

If hollywood depended on an income from me they'd be standing on the street corners with a sign -> 'Disabled Veteran , God Bless' .
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
" ... Over the years I have often wondered what is going on in Quentin Taratinos mind? ..."

VarmintGuy

I have not met Tarantino but have talked with several people who know and have worked with him. In addition I've read some things about his background. He grew up loving movies and watched them as often as he could. (So did I.) He later worked at a Blockbuster video store and had at his disposal, thousands of movies and watched them constantly ... so I'm told. Apparently the old black and white film noir movies and action movies were his favorites. He began writing screenplays and managed to get someone in "the Business" to read one and it ended up being produced. The box office returns were good and that kicked off his career. As to what is "in his mind?" I don't know but he has become a "trade mark" with his style and success and that's what counts in Hollywood.

I'll see the flick when Sony sends me a free video in late Nov. or early Dec. That's when the awards season begins and consideration for awards voting gets in full swing.

FWIW.

L.W.
olmmike: You are missing my point - maybe YOU are not very smart?
My point is liberals are everywhere - and I don't like it much at all!
But if you were completely true to your word you would literally be homebound 24/7/365!
At virtually every turn you (and most of us!) are forced to interact (buy from, hire, live next to etc etc etc) with "them".
I choose to do so on as small a rate as possible.
This incident is one of my concessions in that regard and I have admitted it from post numero uno.
If YOU think YOU are not supporting demonrats (you call them communists!) in many and varied ways every day you are sadly mistaken and pathetically naive!
If you think it is possible to not support liberals at all, then you really need a BIG dose of "reality check".
See above posts for more examples.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Leanwolf: I saw in print several years ago the in that the movie "Pulp Fiction" (which I admire greatly by the way as an especially well told and entertaining story!) where Quentin Tarantino had TWO parts in this very successful movie of his.
One was credited and the other not credited.
He of course was the reluctant homeowner that helped wash the blood off of Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta this part was credited.
Then in his uncredited role he was the character who was completely latex covered in a black skin tight suit, hooded and bound - referred to as the "Gimp", who was kept locked in a giant luggage trunk until needed to be brought out for "action".
I think they refer to this type self abuse as "bondage masochism""?
When I read of this, the next time I watched the movie and the Gimp was brought out, it certainly appeared to be the size and build of Quentin Tarantino inside that bizarre well fitting suit- yeah the guy's head must be filled with "weird thoughts" to come up with these stories.
By the way "Pulp Fiction" cost Tarantino $8,000,000.00 (eight million dollars!) to make and the initial release brought in $214,000,000.00 (two hundred and fourteen million dollars!)!
That is an amazing return on investment!
With ongoing residuals it matters not one iota that my pittance of senior citizen ticket dollars does or does not get fractionally forwarded to him.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I thought you old guys were more into fred astaire, bob hope and burgess merideth type stuff.
We have an in with our local movie theater so admission, drinks, popcorn and candy is free. That being said I think the last movie I saw was Hacksaw Ridge. 😁. My sweetheart and I are going to see this movie on Wednesday or Thursday. I have enjoyed Tarantino films and this looks like another good one.
Slumlord: Your "thoughts" or your "thinking" is/are very muddled and non-sensical.
Sincerely.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
AcesnNeights: Good for you on the benefits there!
I hope you enjoy the film - be patient and enjoy the old timey stuff and the various references and nuances.
And if you don't enjoy the film well I'll just reimburse you for your ticke... oh wait you get comped!
Just funnin.
My wife tells me to wade through the credits (which I did not do!) as "Leonardo", does something cool or noteworthy as the credits are finishing up?
I don't know - I had to hit the head after that 3 hour sit down (3 hours with TV type commercials and then numerous movie previews!).
Let me know hat you think.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I like most of Tarantino’s Movies. He’s one twisted SOB. With a wickedly funny sense of humor.
I especially like Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.
But I absolutely hated Inglourious Basterds.
And I also really liked From Dusk till Dawn which he wrote for Robert Rodriquez.
One of his better but less known films that he also wrote that’s definitely worth watching is “True Romance” with a classic scene with Dennis Hopper & Christopher Walken.
I highly recommend it if you like Tarantino movies.
I thought you old guys were more into fred astaire, bob hope and burgess merideth type stuff.

If you're pigeonholing culture, you don't have any.
Chlinstructor: Indeed the movie "Jackie Brown" was an outstanding insight into the common negro criminal mind set!
I have arrested and put in prison about 200 "Ordell" and "Beaumont" types. And countless Robert DeNiro (as "Louis") types as well.
Robert DeNiro played the perfect slow witted ex-con!
Jackie Brown" is one of my all time favorite movies.
I have seen "True Romance" only once and need to rent it and reacquaint myself with that one.
Thanks for the heads up/reminder.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Dennis Hopper - now there was another person i would like to have known what he was thinking!
Most don't know it but Dennis Hopper was an avid gun collector and western art and Indian artifact collector.
Great movie. Not quite up to Tarantino’s normal level of excess but still good. The scene with Bruce Lee and the final 15 minutes was worth the price of admission. We actually enjoyed Brad Pitts character better, Cost the wife and I $12 for both of us then we hit a Mexican place for a combo plate afterwards.
Pretty good evening
I don't go to many movies. I prefer watching whatever I choose to at home.
I love Tarantino films ! He’s going down in history as one of the greatest writers and directors of all time. I even liked most of Inglorious Basterds. Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown being two of his best. He has a crew of actors that seem to work well together and seem to be enjoying themselves working with him and it shows. Tarantino’s politics on the other hand are repulsive.
His love of old cars and music taste show up and his attention to cultural details are a pleasure to watch. Bringing back one of the original Blaxsploitation stars , Pam Grier , to star as Jackie in his tribute to Blaxsploitation films is brilliant.
I don’t do movie theaters but I’ll catch this movie when it’s on the TV.
Originally Posted by RickyD
I don't go to many movies. I prefer watching whatever I choose to at home.

Same here, the last movie I saw was the opening run of "The Ghost and the Darkness"
Posted By: efw Re: Once Upon A Time, In Hollywood - 08/09/19
Interesting take on the movie here; I’m gonna have to check it out:

I'm actually looking forward to renting it for home viewing. One mistake they make, though, is Bruce Lee's appearance. They depict his style as it was in the 1970s, while the movie takes place in the 1960s. Back then, he wore his hair quite short and conservative, and dressed conservatively. The guy is the spitting image of 1970s Bruce Lee, though, so kudos to him for that. Sounds like him, too. Mannerisms perfect.
Nobody would have recognized the 1970's Bruce Lee. Everyone recognizes Bruce Lee in the movie. That's probably why he did it. Nice catch though. Good to know.
Originally Posted by efw
Interesting take on the movie here; I’m gonna have to check it out:

Interesting.
I saw it. I liked how it showed Sharon Tate as a young woman who loved life. Going to a matinee, to see her own movie would have been typical. I would see it again.
We saw it in South Dakota last week. There aren’t many coloreds there. It was nice, none on airplane, none in Rapid City. I would like to move there.

Movie was silly, but I liked it!
Movies was boring. No real plot, no real action until the last 10 minutes. All the inside crap needs to be supplemented by real movie plot/action character development. Did not happen

Waste of money
Posted By: add Re: Once Upon A Time, In Hollywood - 08/10/19
:: This space reserved for Mannlicher's review ::
That would be his Green Hornet Kato days.

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Nobody would have recognized the 1970's Bruce Lee. Everyone recognizes Bruce Lee in the movie. That's probably why he did it. Nice catch though. Good to know.
Jim Knight: I also VERY much enjoyed the matinee movie scene depicting Sharon Tate enjoying the audience reaction to here scenes.
I also heard a "bit" of Hollywood gossip.
The tiny little farm girl depicted in the movie scenes with Leonardo Dicaprio was based on the same aged Jodie Foster who played in and starred in several movies as a youngster - she is also a real life friend of Quentin Tarantino!
Jodie foster was born in 1972 and the tiny farm girl claimed to be "almost 8" (IIRC) in her scene chatting with Leonardo.
Don't know but do know I enjoyed the movie even more the "second" time!
I had been instructed by friends to stay through the credits (which I did not do the first viewing!).
Its cute and worth staying through the credits for.
I relished each time Quentin Tarantino worked in the phrase "dirty f*ckin hippies"!
You would have had to worked around the hippies on a professional level during the length of their hay-days to appreciate that line!
Yeah well worth the money - both times.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The black headed girl that picked up Brad Pitt is Andie MacDowell’s daughter.
Hanco: I did not know that - the Hollywood types indeed do tend to keep it in the family!
I checked on-line and the movie "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" is now in the "black" - they have made $2,000,000.00 (two million dollars!) more than the film cost to make and distribute!
The cost were $92,000,000.00 (ninety two million dollars) and it has already made (domestically!) $94,000,000.00 (ninety four million dollars).
Like so many others here I hate to see so much money in the grips of liberals (with the possible exceptions of Kurt Russel and Bruce Dern?)!
Thanks for the trivia.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I went to see it last night. Yes it is a long movie, and I yawned (out loud) about half way through, and the couple in front of me looked back, perhaps thinking I was having a heart attack. Agree the cars were cool. The out take on Clint Eastwood's career were things I did not know. Charles Manson's visit to Roman Polanski's house, thinking it was still Dennis Wilson's house was a cool little fact thrown in there. Of course the main event of the movie is the Charles Manson element, and the ending is typical Tarantino and given the way he would have had the tragic events unfold.

Sharan Tate, Roman Polanski, Charles Manson

Saw it tonight with the wife....

I LOVED it... for a lot of reasons.... but the alternate history ending, was heart warming...

LOVED Brad Pitts role, big time...

will be seeing it again a time of two more.. it was that enjoyable... but the end makes the movie....

I will take William Powell or Herbert Marshall or Basil Rathbone- and some of the older hollywood dames any day over Brad Pitt, John Travolta or Meryl Streep.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jim Knight: I also VERY much enjoyed the matinee movie scene depicting Sharon Tate enjoying the audience reaction to here scenes.
I also heard a "bit" of Hollywood gossip.
The tiny little farm girl depicted in the movie scenes with Leonardo Dicaprio was based on the same aged Jodie Foster who played in and starred in several movies as a youngster - she is also a real life friend of Quentin Tarantino!
Jodie foster was born in 1972 and the tiny farm girl claimed to be "almost 8" (IIRC) in her scene chatting with Leonardo.
Don't know but do know I enjoyed the movie even more the "second" time!
I had been instructed by friends to stay through the credits (which I did not do the first viewing!).
Its cute and worth staying through the credits for.
I relished each time Quentin Tarantino worked in the phrase "dirty f*ckin hippies"!
You would have had to worked around the hippies on a professional level during the length of their hay-days to appreciate that line!
Yeah well worth the money - both times.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Jodi was already doing tv in '72- gotta be older by a decade or so.
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Jodi was already doing tv in '72- gotta be older by a decade or so.

She was a regular on Saturday morning movies made for kids back in the 1970s.
It was a great movie, probably my favorite Tarantino movie, at least as far back as Pulp Fiction.

Best role for Pitt in years and DeCaprio was really solid as well. Younger people won’t get the nostalgia and a lot of the SJW types will probably hate it because it so unapologetically embraces traditional American masculine values.

I really enjoyed it as a look back on a California and America that doesn’t exist anymore. 1969 was about the last time America really was still great.

Best line? “Don’t cry in front of Mexicans.”
© 24hourcampfire