Home
Posted By: 700LH Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19

Graphic Video: Deputy Shoots Concealed Carrier Through a Window Inside His Own Home

Recently released bodycam footage shows that a sheriff’s deputy with the Greenville County, S.C., Sheriff’s Office shot and nearly killed a man who was standing inside his own home with the front door closed. The footage contradicts the initial statements from the sheriff’s office that claimed the man had opened the front door before pointing a gun at the deputy.

Sixty-two-year-old Dick Tench was woken up around midnight on June 14, 2019, by lights outside his home and a ringing doorbell. Tench retrieved his .38-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver and made his way to the front door, where he saw a man lurking on his front porch with a flashlight.

What he didn’t know is that just a few minutes prior the sheriff’s office had received a call from a medical alert service indicating that a resident of the home had triggered a silent alarm for help. A deputy responded to the location, who “rang the doorbell, but was unable to make contact with anybody inside,” according to Sheriff’s Office Capt. Tim Brown.

Brown explains that the deputy, who has not yet been identified, left the front porch to begin a perimeter check of the home, but noticed movement from inside and returned to the front door. The deputy noticed that a man inside the home was holding a gun, so he illuminated him with his flashlight. When he did so, Tench “pointed his gun” at the deputy and “in an effort to defend himself against a perceived threat, the deputy fired his issued weapon as he retreated off the porch, and subsequently struck the individual multiple times,” Brown says.

Tench was struck four times, according to Tench’s lawyer and NBC News. Tench had a bullet removed from his aorta and has a bullet that is lodged in his pelvis and will remain there. He was also grazed by bullets in the forearm and back, but has been released from the hospital and is expected to recover.

It’s unclear from the video whether the deputy identified himself before firing his weapon because the audio does not begin until 30 seconds into the segment. It’s also unclear from the video whether Tench actually raises his weapon because the glare on the window from the deputy’s flashlight makes it impossible to see through the window.

What is clear is that Tench had no idea who was ringing his doorbell and walking around his property.

“Who are you?!” Tench screams after being shot.

“The Sherriff’s office!” the officer responds.

“What are you here for?” Tench asks.

“Because we got an alarm call,” the officer says

“Oh, my God, call the cops please,” Tench answers.

“I am the cops,” the deputy responds.

The deputy asks Tench where the gun is, and Tench, who is on his knees, points to a handgun behind him.

“What the f— you doing, man?” Tench asks the deputy, as he bleeds through his shirt, the video shows.

“You pointed a gun at me, man,” the deputy answers.

“You’re in my house … I saw lights, and I heard the doorbell ring, and I got my gun. I’m a concealed-weapons guy. Get the ambulance here, I’m going to die, hurry,” Tench says. “You came to my house at 12 o’clock at night, I’m sleeping. [bleep], I’ve got to protect my house. Oh my God, get the ambulance right now, I’m going to die. You [bleep]—–, I can’t believe you do this to me, man!”

“OK, we’re not going to talk about this right now, we’re going to focus on keeping you alive, so take some deep breaths, and you’re going to be OK, alright,” the deputy says as he administers first aid.

SEE ALSO: Concealed Carry Holder Shoots, Kills Suspect Attacking Sheriff’s Deputy
Tench’s attorney, Beattie Ashmore, told NBC News on Tuesday that after the shooting, the sheriff’s office had a press conference and a Facebook post up “for weeks” which said “Dick opened the door and aimed at the deputy.”

The sheriff’s office has since released an apology and retraction of that statement.

“After a full internal investigation, this statement has proven to be inaccurate and we retract that portion of the original statement,” Lt. Jimmy Bolt with the Sheriff’s Office said in a prepared statement. “To be clear, at no time during the internal investigation did the Deputy make such a statement, it was miscommunicated that the door was opened. In the haste of releasing information, we erred and regret any confusion this has caused.”

Tench claims in the video that he doesn’t have any kind of alarm system in his house. Further investigation revealed that the alert was received from a medical assist app from an occupant inside the residence, Brown said. However, “there was no immediate emergency that was needed.”

Tench has not been charged with a crime.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...er-through-a-window-inside-his-own-home/
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19

If a civilian did that he would be in gaol.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Un-F'n believable.
Posted By: shootem Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Guessing if the alert was from a cell phone app it probably came in with the cell number. Make a return call?? Nah, too simple. Lesson for cops but lesson for home owners too. I had a barely pre-dawn doorbell ring at our front entry much like the one on video. Approached cautiously, did a quick peek, and called out to the person on my porch. Teenager stranded without phone needing to call parents. Had a G23 in my hip pocket. Something similar should have happened here. Homeowner could have stepped back out of view until voice contact was made and identity established. Officer could have made a half step and been totally out of field of possible fire. Should never have fired. Never, not necessary. "Dispatch, can you make contact with resident at xxx xxxx xx to confirm". Nah, too easy.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Cowardice and stupidity should be strictly for civilians.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Now days the police use hollow points.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Deputy must have wanted to make sure the medical alert that rolled him was legit. Good job, deputy, you stupid trigger happy murderous freak.

I hope the homeowner owns your ass for eternity and the city is renamed for him because he owns it, too.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Now days the police use hollow points.

We were using HP's back in the early 80's.

There were still some cops carrying 158gr RNL bullets back then though. crazy
Posted By: colodog Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
I consider my concealed carry as a defensive weapon only.
If I use it to confront someone outside my home I'm in the wrong, am I not?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Deputy didn't appear to retreat - appeared to aim at resident and start shooting .
At the first glimpse of the residents firearm he could have jumped out of the line of fire - he didn't - he took the time to aim and fire then jump out of the way .
It's ok though when in doubt air some bullets out .
Posted By: g5m Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by colodog

Are you wrong to point it at somebody with a flashlight (presumably in your face) ringing the doorbell and on your front porch at midnight and you are inside your house? Were there any words or identification exchanged?
I'm glad I wasn't on either side of that mess.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19

No one confronted anyone outside the home as best I could see.
Our front door had a panel you could see-thru. I put plastic so now it looks like a bathroom window, that allows light but not clear vision.

Aren't body cams and video recordings wonderful at finding the truth when liers lie.
What a disaster!

Yeah, that's a really bad idea, having that huge window next to the door. Instead, he should have a video monitor out there to see who's there. Or just don't answer it if after hours. Of course, the cop would likely have knocked the door in if he'd ignored the knock, thinking there was a victim inside.
Posted By: kellory Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by shootem
Guessing if the alert was from a cell phone app it probably came in with the cell number. Make a return call?? Nah, too simple. Lesson for cops but lesson for home owners too. I had a barely pre-dawn doorbell ring at our front entry much like the one on video. Approached cautiously, did a quick peek, and called out to the person on my porch. Teenager stranded without phone needing to call parents. Had a G23 in my hip pocket. Something similar should have happened here. Homeowner could have stepped back out of view until voice contact was made and identity established. Officer could have made a half step and been totally out of field of possible fire. Should never have fired. Never, not necessary. "Dispatch, can you make contact with resident at xxx xxxx xx to confirm". Nah, too easy.
Run the intro again you've missed it twice.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Obama was quoted once..."the police acted stupidly"

If theyre out there looking for a guy with a heart attack button, and go into swat team mode?

Holy crap.

Pay attention.

You really ought to give the state their CCW back as well. whistle
How many commenting here watched the video in it's entirety?

Not many it appears.
Originally Posted by slumlord

If theyre out there looking for a guy with a heart attack button, and go into swat team mode?

So it was a heart attack button that got the cop there? Missed that. I thought it was a general purpose emergency button. My 87 year old dad wears one of those around his neck, mainly in case he falls and can't get up, but for any reason whatsoever, if it constitutes an emergency. He's got a combination front door lock that the service knows and will tell to first responders, for if no one will come to the door.
Our local deputies, when the pull into a driveway- turn their blue lights from blinkie strobe to just a solid bright LED blue. If one window curtain is peeled back, it would light up a whole lot of inside of the phooking house

I know, they have came my place now 3 times in the last 4 months.

Don't know what this cop did, must be a different protocol.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Wow...speechless
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Not many it appears.

I did.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
unreal! No excuse for that cop.

The bullshit deputy failed to announce himself adequately. There was no burglar call, need for a perimeter check or anything else. In a real medical need case he would have been too late already.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

So it was a heart attack button that got the cop there? Missed that. I thought it was a general purpose emergency button. My 87 year old dad wears one of those around his neck, mainly in case he falls and can't get up, but for any reason whatsoever, if it constitutes an emergency. He's got a combination front door lock that the service knows and will tell to first responders, for if no one will come to the door.

Pure conjecture on my part

But how many homeowners have a bank teller panic button around their neck. It's usually a medic alert.

Now, yes I realize that now on most calls the polizei is the first one there.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
I did
I didnt watch the video, the WiFi here in the Taco Bell is painfully slow. I'm ready to choke the 30 year old retard in here hogging the bandwidth watching Little Mermaid.
Posted By: Steve Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
I didnt watch the video, the WiFi here in the Taco Bell is painfully slow. I'm ready to choke the 30 year old retard in here hogging the bandwidth watching Little Mermaid.

Just grab the phone from renegade.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
https://neighbors.ring.com/n/vmzb5

Honey call the coroner and a crime scene cleaning co.

Looks like I'll be getting a video set up soon. I live in Oakland and unless a knock on the door is accompanied by blue and red flashing lights in my windows chit gonna hit the fan. Chava will get something special!

First, you don't need a ccw to carry a firearm on your property.That depends on your state, but typically wherever you are in your state or another that gives you reciprocity, if you are in a potentially lethal situation and use your ccw to defend yourself or another whose life is in jeopardy, you're good.

Of course, the cops may kill you if they suddenly come on the scene and see you with a gun, but that's just a technicality. Then you're good and dead.

Not many it appears.

I did.

I did until the kid came on with more blah, blah, blah. So I went back and listened to the blah, blah, blah, to find out that's what it was indeed.
Originally Posted by sidepass

Damn. They fully intended a home invasion. Yeah, perfect situation for some double aught from old Betsy.

Damn. They fully intended a home invasion. Yeah, perfect situation for some double aught from old Betsy.

I do so hope there was someone behind that door with an AR or good shotty ready to make an amazing impression.
Originally Posted by RickyD

I do so hope there was someone behind that door with an AR or good shotty ready to make an amazing impression.

Wouldn't you have loved to see three or four double aught shots blast through and crumple every one of them in a fatal funnel type situation?
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Okay, I watched the video.
There was a call for help. It came from a cell phone within the residence. This is why the deputy was dispatched there.
Some of you may not know this there is an emergency button on your phone. They did make a return call, tho no one answered.
The deputy was dispatched with this information.

I'll stop here.
Originally Posted by RickyD

Wouldn't you have loved to see three or four double aught shots blast through and crumple every one of them in a fatal funnel type situation?

Yep! And I'll start the go fund me account for the homeowner.
Originally Posted by Steve

Just grab the phone from renegade.

I would, but he is babysitting the crackhead tree trimming guys.

He can't eat here anyway, he got that colostomy thing strapped to his ankle.

Not many it appears.

I did, twice, before commenting. Both the alarm company, and police dispatch tried to contact the cell phone owner.
That leaves only the wellness check, which he tried to perform, and saw someone turn and point a gun at him. He responded.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Convenient that there was no audio until after the shooting
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Anybody think to look up the phone number for the address?

Had someone hammering on the doorbell once, pre dawn. Answered the door with a pistol behind my back and a foot blocking the door against a push-in. Opened the door just enough to ask the guy what he wanted. Seems he was picking his buddy up for work and got the wrong address. I went back to bed.
Well one thing about the video that bothers me is owning a home with glass next to the door. Bad guy with a gun could have seen him and shot him also. Small security issue for me.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Legal or not, protocol or not, I’m speechless at the stupidity of that deputy. How in the world was he ‘surprised’ by a homeowner answering the door armed after he initiated the contact around midnight with the same lack of identification as a common intruder. Its ironic that after shooting him, the cop expects to be taken at his word that he’s with the Sherriff dept and that the homeowner is expected to throw his gun out the door.

As G5 said previously glad I wasn’t on either side of this cluster***.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Woke up in the middle of the night to some big black fella pounding on the camper door hollering “sheriffs department, open up”. Middle of nowhere in the national forest in CO. He was dressed in cargo pants and a black shirt with no logos or identifying marks. He acted downright insulted when my old man asked to see some ID or a badge through the window.

Turns out he actually was a deputy and we talked to him after he produced a badge and ID, he was looking for some lost campers. But whether he knew it or not he had a M19 and a BHP trained on him through the windows until the ID situation got cleared up. And this was more than 15 years ago so this isn’t necessarily a new gig, at least no shooting took place from either side that night.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by kellory

I did, twice, before commenting. Both the alarm company, and police dispatch tried to contact the cell phone owner.
That leaves only the wellness check, which he tried to perform, and saw someone turn and point a gun at him. He responded.

From the article.

The footage contradicts the initial statements from the sheriff’s office that claimed the man had opened the front door before pointing a gun at the deputy.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Our local deputies, when the pull into a driveway- turn their blue lights from blinkie strobe to just a solid bright LED blue. If one window curtain is peeled back, it would light up a whole lot of inside of the phooking house

I'd get a different place if cops were showing up at my place once a month...
It was a good shoot. The deputy just wanted to go home to his family that night.

Huh Lt Powell?

Because you know... those of us not licensed to shoot whomever don't understand.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
It was a good shoot. The deputy just wanted to go home to his family that night.

Huh Lt Powell?

Because you know... those of us not licensed to shoot whomever don't understand.

grin
Posted By: Raeford Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by rost495

I'd get a different place if cops were showing up at my place once a month...

Half the family has a beacon attached so.......
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/02/19
There's a cop needs to sit in prison for a very long time.
Originally Posted by 700LH

From the article.

The footage contradicts the initial statements from the sheriff’s office that claimed the man had opened the front door before pointing a gun at the deputy.

Clearly, mistakes were made. the fact that the homeowner did not know he was dealing with the cops was critical. The sherriff did not identify himself or his office well enough for the existing conditions. The homeowner should have been more circumspect in his gun handhandling. He made himself a threat, without knowing what he was aiming at.
Posted By: hanco Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/03/19
The cop was in the wrong.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/03/19
SOOoooo, someone inside 'calls for help and hangs up', 'answering service' is unable to confirm the problem and passes info along to LEO.... LEO arrives, without a phouking clue as to what the emergency is, attempts to make contact and is faced with an armed man pointing a weapon at him.............

Bad crap can happen when you scream 'send help'............. and there's nothing wrong!!!!

IMHO!

Yes I watched it all.....
Posted By: kennyd Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/03/19
Did the guy send an alarm? Or was it a glitch in his phone, pendant, or the answering service? He apparently didn't know he had sent one
Posted By: shootem Re: Homeowners take caution - 08/04/19
Originally Posted by shootem
Run the intro again you've missed it twice.

Further investigation revealed that the alert was received from a medical assist app from an occupant inside the residence, Brown said.

"Apps" to my knowledge generally apply to cell phones. Maybe this time not??

edit: No. Didn't watch all the LE dialog. So with the no answer scenario it all falls back on bad tactics by the victim and deputy.

© 24hourcampfire