Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
That must have been one crowded ship! All the people that had a ancestor on that ship.

Any here?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
That must have been one crowded ship! All the people that had a ancestor on that ship.

Any here?

Any descendants can talk down to everyone else about them being "those damn immigrants".
Posted By: Steve Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
Yep. Descendant of Elizabeth Tilley (11th Great Grandmother) and her husband John Howland (11th Great Grandfather). Her father was John Tilley (12th Great Grandfather), also on the Mayflower.

She was like the Genghis Khan of Mayflower in that if you're going to be descended from anyone on the Mayflower, it's likely to be her. She had something like 10 kids and 80 grand-kids.
Posted By: Steve Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Any here?

Any descendants can talk down to everyone else about them being "those damn immigrants".

And we get extra shots free at Starbucks.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
They weren’t immigrants. They were colonists.

😊😉
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
All of my religious fanatic ancestors settled in Virginia or the Carolinas btwn 1640 and 1740.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
Descendant of Edward Doty. He appeared to have been an indentured servant and for a long time we were excluded from joining "The Mayflower Sosiety" as I understand things. I'm not sure which branch

I am not sure which branch I am from but it is probably Sile Doty based off historical family behavior. Many of my anscestors appear to have traits similar to both Edward and Siles.
Posted By: Gus Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
All of my religious fanatic ancestors settled in Virginia or the Carolinas btwn 1640 and 1740.

yeah, mine too. some of their grandsons fought the english in the revolutionary war.

made little round holes in their red wool coats.

and their descendents kept moving west.

my clan stopped in georgia.

other members moved on.

alabama, miss. texas.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
To be serious, those were some tough brave people. Leaving all behind, going to a strange new world. All for freedom, and a chance to hack out a life with hand tools.
Posted By: Gus Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
yes it was a serious group Wabi.

and they were already use to hard work and/or starvation.

most of us can't even imagine living in the edge of the wilderness.

it would have been a high adventure, but those folks thought of it differently.

they likely thought of it as life and death, and their families lives were at risk.
Posted By: Morewood Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/09/19
If not for the courage of the fearless crew the Mayflower would be lost.

102 souls in the bottom of that tiny ship. 3 ladies pregnant so you know they were puking.

Tough times breed tough people.
Posted By: gunzo Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19
Ancestors? I get me some bad seasickness.. Dr. says it might be hereditary
Posted By: Tracks Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19

Any here?

Rats and Roaches don't take up a lot of space.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19
none i know of on the ship, but some that watched them come ashore.
famous quote from family lore "there goes the neighborhood!"
Posted By: denton Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19
If you're curious, go to this link. You'll find a plethora of famous relatives, including people who came over on the Mayflower.
Posted By: kingston Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19
I’m a descendant of John and Priscilla Alden.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19
Originally Posted by denton
If you're curious, go to this link. You'll find a plethora of famous relatives, including people who came over on the Mayflower.

What a ridiculous cf for a website! Registered and could not sign in... kept saying my password or email is wrong... absolute cut and paste from their emails repeatedly gave exactly the same response... Impossible to get it wrong... And the recovery emails give exactly the same response... a waste of 30 minutes...
Posted By: 1minute Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19
absolute cut and paste from their emails repeatedly gave exactly the same response

Often cutting and pasting will be an issue if one captures a leading or trailing empty space. Be sure there are no leading or trailing spaces before going to the enter key.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19
Well, yeah, there are a lot of descendants from the Mayflower. About 35 million.
https://familyhistorydaily.com/gene...lower-descendants-heres-how-to-find-out/
Posted By: kid0917 Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19

😊😉

good point!
Posted By: joken2 Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19

Any here?

No idea if I have any ancestors that came over on the Mayflower, but regarding 'all the people' claiming to have had, doesn't really sound unreasonable to me at all. My own maternal grandmother had right at 70 direct blood descendants -- children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc., -- at the time of her death 40 years ago, not counting those born since. A few of her descendants had no direct blood children at all, some only one or two, with the most being eight (that lived).

Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19

😊😉

Thats a relevant distinction that I have never thought of before.
Originally Posted by 1minute
absolute cut and paste from their emails repeatedly gave exactly the same response

Often cutting and pasting will be an issue if one captures a leading or trailing empty space. Be sure there are no leading or trailing spaces before going to the enter key.

Gave it WAY more time and attempts than it deserved and did it very carefully... total waste of time... well aware of spaces, cases, and traces...
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

😊😉

Get an Indian's viewpoint...

wink
Posted By: joken2 Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

😊😉

wink

Colonization of "New World" along with mass immigration by peoples from other continents was eventually going to happen, regardless.
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

😊😉

wink

Colonization of "New World" along with mass immigration by peoples from other continents was eventually going to happen, regardless.

Absolutely, but one man's colonist is another's Viking...
Posted By: kkahmann Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19
I can trace my genealogy back 14 generations to Richard Warren—the 12th signature on the Mayflower Compact.
But the DNA stops with my great grandfather who was adopted.
Posted By: shaman Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19

Any here?

Mom's family is related to the Shreves on her mother's father's side. The Shreve's intermingled with the Stantons in the early 1800's. The Stantons were related to William and Mary Brewster who were one of the original Plymouth Rock Wetbacks. The Stantons, btw, are the common link between us and the Bush family. There's about 14-15 generations there, but that's the nut of it.
Posted By: StuckInOhio Re: The Ship, Mayflower. - 08/10/19
The joke in my wife's family is that her Dad's side came over on the next boat after the Mayflower. But some of her Mom's side was there to greet both boats.
© 24hourcampfire