Home
Search wasn't working so couldn't tell if this had been posted.

Banff Wolf Attack

Aug 9

Originally Posted by Facebook post

This is a hard thing to post, since I haven’t fully comprehended that it happened yet. Last night, while sleeping in our tent in Banff National Park, we were attacked by a Wolf.

It was like something out of a horror movie. Matt literally threw his body in front of me and the boys, and fought the Wolf as it ripped apart our tent and his arms and hands. We were screaming for help as he was fighting it and trying to save us, for what felt like an eternity (but I think was anywhere from 1-3 minutes). I laid my body on top of the kids and Matt pinned the Wolf to the ground and held open its jaw with his hands, and the Wolf started to drag Matt away, while I was pulling on his legs trying to get him back. I cannot and don’t think I’ll ever be able to properly describe the terror.

A guardian angel from the tent site next to us, who we later found out was named Russ, heard our screams and came over to our site and kicked the Wolf and it finally let go of Matt. They had to continue to throw huge rocks at the Wolf while we ran as fast as we could to Russ’ mini van to safety. It continued to follow Matt.

The rest of the night is a blur of EMTs, good Samaritans, waiting for treatment, no phone service and crying. But here we are in Banff hospital, where Matt’s puncture wounds, and lacerations on his hands and arms have been treated and he’s ok. We are pretty traumatized but ok. They evacuated the campground and Parks Canada killed the wolf in the early morning today.

It could have been so so much worse, and we are just feeling so thankful that we are all still sitting here as a complete family. Matt is our absolute hero (I mean, way more than he normally was) and we are forever grateful to Russ who came to our aid and likely saved Matt’s life.

I love you Matthew- thank you for being our hero, a complete [bleep] badass and for fighting with everything in you. 💗

Thank you for all the calls, texts and love so far. Flow all your good thoughts toward us in Canada, please! And, do us a favor and go give the people you love most a big kiss and let ‘em know.

WP: More on the story
He's lucky. Bet he carries a sidearm from now on if they ever go camping again.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Was in Canaduh.
Pretty unusual, I wonder is the wolf was sick with distemper or rabies. Wolves not hunted can get pretty bold, but generally not bold enough to fight a pack of humans.
Lots of stuff wrong with that story... Lots.

Thinking they have solved the problem by killing a single wolf is a major fuggup. Obviously, the whole pack structure there has been conditioned to humans to the point they are a danger from here on out.

No gun... When are people gonna realize they are not at the top of the food chain? Either in the city, or in nature?
The wolf must have mistaken him for a baby deer (sarc).
For them pointing out the obvious fact they didn't have a gun, can you carry a firearm while camping in Banff National Park?
Unpossible! Sierra Club told me that there have been only *three documented wolf attacks on humans ever* and none since 1803!!

/sarc
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Pretty unusual, I wonder is the wolf was sick with distemper or rabies. Wolves not hunted can get pretty bold, but generally not bold enough to fight a pack of humans.

Actually not unusual at all. I know quite a few people that were hunting, and a pack of wolves came in to eat them. In every case, they didn’t try to stop until the entire pack was dead. They get pretty bold in a lot of places.
Gruff,

No, dis is Canada !
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Thinking they have solved the problem by killing a single wolf is a major fuggup. Obviously, the whole pack structure there has been conditioned to humans to the point they are a danger from here on out.

No gun... When are people gonna realize they are not at the top of the food chain? Either in the city, or in nature?

Wolf pretty, I wanna pet it........
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Gruff,

No, dis is Canada !

Not even a rifle?
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Call now, operators are standing by to take your donations. Just $1 a day will help save a wolf pack from human predation:

https://protectthewolves.com/
I though Canada was good with shorty shotguns?
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Now you sound like Simon... eek
Banff is a National Park, so no firearms allowed.
Originally Posted by BowRiverFlyGuy

Therein lies the problem.

Not with the law/policy...

But with the sheep following it.

Therein lies the problem.

Not with the law/policy...

But with the sheep following it.

Ain't that the truth. The law basically calls for a human sacrifice in the face of a wolf attack, that's fugged up right there.
Did they cry wolf?
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Unpossible! Sierra Club told me that there have been only *three documented wolf attacks on humans ever* and none since 1803!!

/sarc

What?!!
When they were introducing Canadian wolves to Idaho, they insisted that wolves NEVER attack humans. Why are they walking it back now?

Ah, whatever. Has to be fake news.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Did they cry wolf?

Hey!!!! What you did there, I saw it.

Another gun-free zone.
A dingo stole my baby !
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Was in Canaduh.

How about a big old Bowie knife, then?
Originally Posted by slumlord
Did they cry wolf?

Nothing wrong with crying wolf when there really is one.

Was in Canaduh.

Nah. He won't. Wifey is an internet "influencer". Read between the lines.
Wolf "good help is hard to find"
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Nah. He won't. Wifey is an internet "influencer". Read between the lines.

Goosey?

Tarquin?

LaRoy?
Firearms are not allowed in National Parks; just like Yellowstone, Glacier, or the Everglades National park. It is possible to have a rifle in your car if you don't talk about it and keep it out of sight. In this instance, a spear would have sufficed. GD
"Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute."

US national parks:
https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

Not sure about Canada.
www.montanaoutdoor.com/2019/08/banf...d4gOkineihTGPGAK25mLQzMgUYO6MZQFIvxMJTTE
Originally Posted by greydog
Firearms are not allowed in National Parks; just like Yellowstone, Glacier, or the Everglades National park. It is possible to have a rifle in your car if you don't talk about it and keep it out of sight. In this instance, a spear would have sufficed. GD

Dead wrong about U.S. parks, I don't know about your Canadian parks. Though a member has already posted saying they are a no-go.
Wolves have an uncanny ability to ascertain when they’re dealing with an unarmed dumbarse!

As for anyone adhering to a dumbass regulation concerning firearms not being allowed in National Parks it would seem quite appropriate that they would have their asses eaten! Same as folks stupid enough to pet bison!

Slept out overnite in Banff a number of years ago.....had my Sako .264 close by . Would do the same today.
That ain't right. That wolf must have had rabies.
FROM THE ARTICLE " ... It was like something out of a horror movie. Matt literally threw his body in front of me and the boys, and fought the Wolf as it ripped apart our tent and his arms and hands. We were screaming for help as he was fighting it and trying to save us, for what felt like an eternity (but I think was anywhere from 1-3 minutes). ..."

From the description stated here, it does not seem to me that the husband would have had time to use a long gun or a handgun, even if he'd had one. In Canada guns are banned in Canadian National Parks, so the man would not have been armed anyway.

Here in the U.S., maybe a man or woman might be able to bring a handgun into play but again, in that circumstance, it would seem there just would not be time, nor the space to bring one into play, especially with a couple of kids in the same tent. A rifle or shotgun would be extremely awkward in such a situation.

Seems to me just a case of very bad luck, being in the wrong place at the right time.

Hope the wolf did not have rabies. I hear those rabies shots are very unpleasant.

L.W.

Hey, there's lots of folks in the camp. What's the chances it's going for you. It's the same as afreakans washing clothes in the river. The crocodile only gets one every few weeks. wink

Hes lucky it wasn't a bear.

Dead wrong about U.S. parks, I don't know about your Canadian parks. Though a member has already posted saying they are a no-go.

Yep. Total Bullschitt in American National Parks. I know for a fact you can carry in a American National Park if you have a handgun permit.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
FROM THE ARTICLE " ... It was like something out of a horror movie. Matt literally threw his body in front of me and the boys, and fought the Wolf as it ripped apart our tent and his arms and hands. We were screaming for help as he was fighting it and trying to save us, for what felt like an eternity (but I think was anywhere from 1-3 minutes). ..."

From the description stated here, it does not seem to me that the husband would have had time to use a long gun or a handgun, even if he'd had one. In Canada guns are banned in Canadian National Parks, so the man would not have been armed anyway.

Here in the U.S., maybe a man or woman might be able to bring a handgun into play but again, in that circumstance, it would seem there just would not be time, nor the space to bring one into play, especially with a couple of kids in the same tent. A rifle or shotgun would be extremely awkward in such a situation.

Seems to me just a case of very bad luck, being in the wrong place at the right time.

Hope the wolf did not have rabies. I hear those rabies shots are very unpleasant.

L.W.

Rabies shots are no big deal nowadays. They sucked when I was a kid. I had to take them in the stomach.

Those folks had BETTER take the shots. The alternative is grim
Well dang...Jack London!

I thought you was dead!

Did something bite you Neal?
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Yep. Barn cat that was thought to have rabies. I was 10.
Hey, that will buff right out.

I don't know what the intentions were of the pack that surrounded and shadowed my dog and me a few years ago,just yards away in thick cover, but I got a nice wall hanging pelt out of it. And no rabies shots required.

That is a lucky gun I was carrying too. Took down two nice bull caribou for my wife and I this week. Even as a single shot. I gotta get that extractor fixed - might meet some more woofs! smile
the animals are beginning to fight back.

i've read about that before now.

surely, they aren't scared.

i believe it's territoriality?
https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...ZRuNudPDEkWqJyzD6KFS-7DAcBtVbg1JtHbRhjsQ
Those crazy Canucks , remote camps in wolf and black bear country unarmed , they don't have handguns . I have seen plenty wolves and bears while fishing and wouldn't stay out there overnight without a firearm .
Originally Posted by Gus

I’m betting it was rabid. Or maybe just wolves being wolves.

But I feel sorry for Canadian’s that CAN’t carry a gun in the outdoors.
That’s just wrong. And one more reason I’ll never visit the beautiful woods of Canada.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Gus

But I feel sorry for Canadian’s that carry a gun in the outdoors.
That’s just wrong. And one more reason I’ll never visit the beautiful woods of Canada.

the beast might have been in crazed, starvation mode.

the campers in bear & wolf country should have been armed.

no sense in camping in a place where the resident animals are deadly.
Originally Posted by Gus

But I feel sorry for Canadian’s that carry a gun in the outdoors.

Yes sir , It's usually a single wolf that is rabid or kicked out of the pack ,
Originally Posted by Steve
"Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute."

US national parks:
https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

Not sure about Canada.

My mistake, I had forgotten about that. They emphasize that the use of a firearm in the Park is still illegal, however. Ultimately, a person does not need a law to defend his life or his family. This is why, in either country, one may want to be armed with something.
I don't know where people get the idea that we can't carry a gun in the woods in Canada. Of course we can; just not in national parks. One may, of course use some other means of defense. As far as handguns are concerned, permits are possible, though not all that easy, to get. My take has always been, if an area is all that remote, nobody will ever know what you are or are not carrying. If it's not all that remote, you may want to think it over.
Like many rural Canadian residents, I live in an area where we have all large North American predators. I have hunted, fished, camped, and worked, alone, in remote areas for a good portion of my life. If I am really concerned, I'll have a rifle and, when I'm camping alone, I like to have a dog with me as an ealy warning system. In general, it's just not something that weighs heavily on my mind. I have to say, I feel a lot more confident camping anywhere in the Rockies than I do swimming off the North Carolina coast! GD
A dingo stole my baby !

Well done.....
I hunt wolves quite a bit and have yet to get in range of one. Even placing a smoked porkchop in my wife's pack has not worked, perhaps I should go to Canaduh.

mike r
Woofs got to eat too.

Nope, he just likes nasty shots....here's your sign. wink
6 pages and I'll be the first to say way to go Russ! A good man did what he could to save the day. I've seen Canadian wolves thanks to the invasive ones in Idaho and think it would take a big set to run in and kick an angry one in the butt.

Bb
Originally Posted by kellory

Nope, he just likes nasty shots....here's your sign. wink

Hahaha, thanks, Kel.

I was trying to get a story out of him and ask if the critter died of food poison or lead poison. grin

But, the gubment said day’s gonna keep us safe so’s we don’t need no guns.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
6 pages and I'll be the first to say way to go Russ! A good man did what he could to save the day. I've seen Canadian wolves thanks to the invasive ones in Idaho and think it would take a big set to run in and kick an angry one in the butt.

Bb

I think Matt deserves an "atta-boy you badass!", too.
Originally Posted by Gus

OK here's the deal up here. You can carry a rifle or shot gun anywhere you want in the woods. Except national parks. Provincial parks, no problem in fact you can hunt in most of them. Our National Parks though think they've struck some Shangrala with their umpteen dozen stupid rules including no firearms. I don't go to National Parks I despise them. But I'm glad they're there that's where all the people go.

Someone said back there us Canucks like shorty shot guns for camp. There's a lot of truth to that I bet if you did an inventory of what people choose to carry for wildlife protection around here at least it would mostly be a Defender, short 870 etc. Mosberg J.I.C. and the like loaded with slugs. Personally I just use whatever rifle(s) I'm hunting with at the time, sometimes have an old Marlin lever of anything from 30-30 to 45-70 laying around as just a camp gun. Sometimes, often in the summer I don't pack anything when I camp but if that wolf hit my tent he'd have an axe in him pretty quick.

BTW working, recreating, camping in the woods for 40 plus years now here's the list of wildlife problems I've had in camp. Zero. It can happen but you have a better chance getting killed on the highways by far.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That ain't right. That wolf must have had rabies.

Something was wrong with it for sure not at all wolf like behaviour for a pack let alone a lone wolf.
" Matt pinned the Wolf to the ground and held open its jaw with his hands":

Bullchit; if I try to do that to my 35lb English Cocker she would whip my azz
Start lifting weights? lol
Salty303;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that the day in your part of the world was as nice as it was here and in all other areas this finds you well.

Thanks to you and greydog for explaining our interesting Canuck laws to our US 'Fire friends here. Honestly I'd meant to do that earlier, but managed to take a nap instead.....

Also, I meant to post a photo in the correct orientation of what we use for tenting, camping and meat packing, but once again Rick's photo section has foiled my best attempts. frown

[Linked Image]

Anyway, though they're easily flipped in the preview, these - when they're not sideways - are the short arms of which you speak and yes indeed we stoke them with Gualandi slugs which although they're not free, do seem to fair well in penetration tests.

At one time I packed a .30-30 lever rifle when camping, but felt that the shotgun I'd owned since I was 12 was something I'd manipulate better in a grave, stressful situation. As well it occurred to me that using similar armament to what the constabulary would show up with might be seen in a more favorable light, should the safety equipment end up being used.

On the wolf thing, I'm not sure what to say other than it sounds like it was pretty used to people.

We've camped in both Banff and Jasper, though it was years and year ago. Frankly we were less than impressed with Parks Canada staff's relaxed attitude when it came to bears hanging around campsites as well as their reluctance to enforce quiet times after 10:00PM.

Some provincial parks are better at enforcing boom box shut down times and as you've mentioned, we can legally deal with problem bears should the need arise too.

Lastly, while I've been able to sort out all the problem animals myself without gunfire thus far, I can't exactly say none have given me any issues.... I can say all the black bears I ran into left me alone until one didn't - but then the rest afterward have too so overall we're running a good average!

Thanks again and all the best to you as we head into the fall.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by Gus

OK here's the deal up here. You can carry a rifle or shot gun anywhere you want in the woods. Except national parks. Provincial parks, no problem in fact you can hunt in most of them. Our National Parks though think they've struck some Shangrala with their umpteen dozen stupid rules including no firearms. I don't go to National Parks I despise them. But I'm glad they're there that's where all the people go.

Someone said back there us Canucks like shorty shot guns for camp. There's a lot of truth to that I bet if you did an inventory of what people choose to carry for wildlife protection around here at least it would mostly be a Defender, short 870 etc. Mosberg J.I.C. and the like loaded with slugs. Personally I just use whatever rifle(s) I'm hunting with at the time, sometimes have an old Marlin lever of anything from 30-30 to 45-70 laying around as just a camp gun. Sometimes, often in the summer I don't pack anything when I camp but if that wolf hit my tent he'd have an axe in him pretty quick.

BTW working, recreating, camping in the woods for 40 plus years now here's the list of wildlife problems I've had in camp. Zero. It can happen but you have a better chance getting killed on the highways by far.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly!
Thanks for the kind words Dwayne. btw although not exactly neighbours we're not overly far off, I'm a ways west on good old highway 3 down in the thriving metropolis of Hope! And it was a real nice day down here today around 80 degrees a relief from a fair bit warmer earlier this week. But I know full well not as hot as you've probably seen out there.

I'm glad your bear issues have all ended well. To clarify my comment back there of not having any problems in camp that's not to say I haven't had any issues with bears and other toothy critters otherwise. I had one bear stock me while my back was to the water cleaning fish. I was alerted and spun to face him and no amount of kai-eying and hollering made him move at all. He stared at the ground and swung his head back and forth. I didn't have anything handy I was at the foot of my lawn basically in a remote setting. I threw a few rocks with the performance and nadda the bear wouldn't budge. At that point my wife heard the commotion and yelled what do you need? I said get dogs. She opened up the sliding window and they tore on down, a brief Donny brooke ensued but the bear finally did leave. That was likely the closest to a real problem I've had, that bear wasn't right. I wonder if animals like human have mental issues once in a while or are otherwise just not right in the head. Other than that and a few other doddlers all the bears I've told to take off have.

Good to hear your thoughts Dwayne enjoy the last push of summer as we look forward to hunting season and a little better trout fishing as well. Take care.

Dan

Yup. That law was changed years ago for US National Parks, as Steve stated above.
Too Much not making sense in that story, a single wolf, and "attacking" a person , especially in a group?
No way,
Probably had food in the tent, wolf was trying to scavenge it, got an arm by mistake, and yeah being a single , solo, Lone Wolf - NOT the Chuck Norris Type!! -
Probably sick, weak, kicked out of his home to find his way in the world - Mother Nature can be cruel
Don't have to worry about bears or wolves here, but I don't step outside without wearing a handgun, and I sure wouldn't go camping anywhere without being armed.....probably as much for defense against the 2 legged critters, as the ones with 4 legs. It's no different when I travel, as I don't travel to places that do not allow me to carry. Yeah, I don't get to see some of the sights I'd like to, but then again, if anything happens, I know I have the ability to at least have a fighting chance to survive.

I'd hate to know that if I was out in the wild and a wolf attacked me, that a damn rock was my only weapon. That's not very assuring.
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

I think Matt deserves an "atta-boy you badass!", too.

"Wolfman's got 'nards" is the first thought that came to my mind when he said he took a running go and kicked it from behind.

Was said the wolf was in poor condition. It was alone instead of with a pack. Camp inspection showed no food in the tent. It really sounds like it was after the folks. Both the guys as well as the mom did what they had to. Hat's off to them.
If it was a single non-rabid wolf, it may have watched them for a few days...and if that is the case would wonder why it didn't go for a kid and get out of Dodge.

"Wolfman's got 'nards" is the first thought that came to my mind when he said he took a running go and kicked it from behind. "

Either of those 2 guys would be welcome at my campfire any time.... not the "metrosexual" types Progressives seem to thing we should be after getting our "toxic masculinity" under control....
Fighting off a wolf with your bare hands and then driving it away by throwing rocks and screaming at it while the young'uns and womenfolk run for their lives...

I imagine that this very situation has been played out a few times over the centuries.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
A dingo stole my baby !

Well done.....

grin

Well, in my defense, I am an ex Aussie !!

Just like normal human nature (in this day & age), right when it's crossed the point into being too late...

Honestly though, maybe that's for the best, I really think that if you breed your species into extinction by dumbing it down, then it's probably just that you simply go extinct...
© 24hourcampfire