Home
Posted By: wabigoon Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
I need to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn again. Mark Twain had a gift.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Mark Twain was the greatest!!!!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Bob, back then "stuff". and "truck" was dirty words.
Crazy ain’t it???
Posted By: Tracks Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I need to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn again. Mark Twain had a gift.

Read it here-http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Never read it.

I saved my leisure time for Nova and the McNeil Lerher news hour.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
What for?
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Posted By: Higginez Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Never read them in school, so I got Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn on audio books this spring to listen to while working.

Fantastic stuff.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Loved Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Read both several times.
Posted By: headwatermike Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
I have Huck Finn on audiobook. One time when taking the family on a cross-country road trip I thought it would be fun to let the kids listen to it. After about 2 minutes I was trying to find the off button. I can't reconcile the language with the kids' schooling. It's a shame because I love Mark Twain but in today's culture I'm afraid to have my kids hear it! Maybe when they are older but not yet for my grade schoolers. I recall reading Tom Sawyer in grade school or middle school.
Even in his day Twain, yes his name was Mark Clemens, Twain is shorter, took a lot of flack for the lack of what is now political correctness.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Even in his day Twain, yes his name was Mark Clemens, Twain is shorter, took a lot of flack for the lack of what is now political correctness.

Full name was Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Thank you Keith, no coffee yet this morning. laugh
Posted By: poboy Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Kaywoodie was one of his runnin' buddies. cool
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
His name was SAM Clemens.
Mark twain is a navigational term meaning 2 fathoms, or 12' of water, the shallowest considered save for navigation. Clemens was a Mississippi river boat captain and he adopted the term for his pen name.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Twain was a choir boy compared to the language in what passes for "music" these days.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Sawyer and Finn were poor boys who spoke the common language of the people at the time. Twain just wrote like people talked. That horribly obscene word nygger was a common word, used by everyone at the time.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19

Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

Full name was Samuel Langhorne Clemensi

No (i) at the end of Clemens either.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: killerv Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
That was this summers reading for my 5th grader, got a 95 on his book report of it
Posted By: slumlord Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
My daughter is reading Lord of the Flies for her ap English this week.

I told her just log into 24 hour campfire.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
I love the classics. Read Huck Finn just out of high school and again a few years back - one of very few books I have read twice. It will make you long to live in times where America was a bigger, unbridled, country. A place where one could lose himself in its vastness and explore an often violent and dangerous world relying only on yourself. It manages to display the human duality of how people living back then had no identity issue and a certain type of self interest primacy yet conveys a strong, almost sweet. sense of humanity throughout.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Originally Posted by slumlord

Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

Full name was Samuel Langhorne Clemensi

No (i) at the end of Clemens either.

[Linked Image]

just caught, and fixed the typo
Originally Posted by headwatermike
I have Huck Finn on audiobook. One time when taking the family on a cross-country road trip I thought it would be fun to let the kids listen to it. After about 2 minutes I was trying to find the off button. I can't reconcile the language with the kids' schooling. It's a shame because I love Mark Twain but in today's culture I'm afraid to have my kids hear it! Maybe when they are older but not yet for my grade schoolers. I recall reading Tom Sawyer in grade school or middle school.

Yeah, taught my grandkids all the classics, Ol’ Zip Coon (always a SW gathering fav), massa in de cold cold ground, Coal Black Rose, etc. DIL says She’ll send me with em to principal’s office. I told her that is probably not a really good idea!
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Huckelberry Finn? - 08/15/19
Don't just read Clemens's fiction. You're missing out if you don't read Life on the Mississippi and Roughing It.
© 24hourcampfire