-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My daughter is reading Lord of the Flies for her ap English this week.

I told her just log into 24 hour campfire.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I love the classics. Read Huck Finn just out of high school and again a few years back - one of very few books I have read twice. It will make you long to live in times where America was a bigger, unbridled, country. A place where one could lose himself in its vastness and explore an often violent and dangerous world relying only on yourself. It manages to display the human duality of how people living back then had no identity issue and a certain type of self interest primacy yet conveys a strong, almost sweet. sense of humanity throughout.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thank you Keith, no coffee yet this morning. laugh

Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Even in his day Twain, yes his name was Mark Clemens, Twain is shorter, took a lot of flack for the lack of what is now political correctness.

Full name was Samuel Langhorne Clemensi

No (i) at the end of Clemens either.

[Linked Image]

just caught, and fixed the typo

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by headwatermike
I have Huck Finn on audiobook. One time when taking the family on a cross-country road trip I thought it would be fun to let the kids listen to it. After about 2 minutes I was trying to find the off button. I can't reconcile the language with the kids' schooling. It's a shame because I love Mark Twain but in today's culture I'm afraid to have my kids hear it! Maybe when they are older but not yet for my grade schoolers. I recall reading Tom Sawyer in grade school or middle school.

Yeah, taught my grandkids all the classics, Ol’ Zip Coon (always a SW gathering fav), massa in de cold cold ground, Coal Black Rose, etc. DIL says She’ll send me with em to principal’s office. I told her that is probably not a really good idea!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't just read Clemens's fiction. You're missing out if you don't read Life on the Mississippi and Roughing It.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1moredeer, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,598
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.