Home
Tobacco that is?
Not for many years. kaywoody should be along shortly.
Occasionally
Yes

Couple of Peterson's.....my favorite.
[Linked Image]
Couple Vintage Kaywoodie's.....a lot cooler.
[Linked Image]
Yard mowing.
[Linked Image]
A pair of vintage Kaywoodies that were gifted me several weeks ago.

[Linked Image]
I have on occasion. Try not to smoke much of anything anymore though.

Growing up I had an uncle that smoked a pipe. Loved the smell and it still brings back some fond memories. Borkum Riff in the black pouch.
Posted By: EdM Re: Does anyone here smoke a pipe? - 08/19/19
We opened a can of Captain Black two days ago. Youngest son bought two pipes, a somewhat fancy Comoy and a basic Medico, yesterday at a garage sale. My pipe is one my older brother gave me when I headed off to college in 1980. It helped and still does.
I smoked Dunhill's and Comoy's with Dunhill My Mixture 965 exclusively for many years, not so much the last few years though.
Jäger Pfeife

[Linked Image]
What do you make of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoHfFolXeCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAqejxc8pn4
Paddler/ JeffO oughta chime in.
I bet he smokes alot of pipe.
Never could stand cigarettes. Although I hardly smoke at all now, I still carry my corncob pipe and some tobacco while out hunting.

I used to like Amphora Brown. Prince Albert is very mild. I did find a local cigar/smoke shop in Niles, Ohio that makes up its own blend call Old Virginia that is very good.

Nothing like a good broken-in corncob pipe for smoking.
Glad he hit on the Indians. As I was going to mention it if he didn’t. To each his own. I prefer tobacco. But I have smoked Kinnickkinnick before. It’s ok. Just not what I enjoy when I smoke my pipe.

Will add if their King George hadn’t been such a dick, tobacco might still be a bit cheaper for them in GB. But like everything over there tax,tax,tax! ( might oughta watch what I say we ain’t too far behind on the taxing stuff).
Herbal tobacco? Hell no.

Imitation beef? Hell no.

Fake titties? Hell.......well.....just for looking at.
I just recently got a Crown #728 pipe along with some Brigadier Black Antietam and Dunhill Ready Rubbed.

Edit - Pipes & Cigars still has a small supply of Dunhill Ready Rubbed, Standard Mixture Medium, and Three Year Matured:

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/dunhill-brand/1701204/
I always loved the smell of o pipe...
Late compadre gifted me a can of this past spring. I’ve been enjoying it!

[Linked Image]
You are indeed fortunate, Kaywoodie. Do you keep it in the original tin or have you transferred it to a jar?
I keep it in the tin in a little canvas bag I pack all my smoking stuff in. So when I want to hit the trail, it’s like a bug out bag. For pipe smoking! LOL

Edit, I do change out pipes on occasion. Resupply and such.
Occasionally. Like Churchwardens just for fun. Black Cavendish suits me.
Here’s my reenacting pipe bag. A simple native twined wool bag I made. A pipe I carved out of Llano county Stetite (soap stone) and a piece of river cane for a stem. And naturally my strike -a-lite and char for lighting up. Appropriate kit for 18th and 19th century personnas.

[Linked Image]
There's a few here that are on the pipe, no doubt about it. eek
I'm into pipes a little... Just have 40 or 50 pipes, and about 100 lbs of tobacco. Tobacco- real tobacco, none of this "herbal" crap. Also, my tobaccos have natural flavoring, no artificial aromatic glycol soaked burley.

I'm into pipes a little.
Originally Posted by LoadClear
I'm into pipes a little... Just have 40 or 50 pipes, and about 100 lbs of tobacco. Tobacco- real tobacco, none of this "herbal" crap. Also, my tobaccos have natural flavoring, no artificial aromatic glycol soaked burley.

I'm into pipes a little.

🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
My grandpa smoked a pipe all of the years I knew him (50) and I can never forget the smell of Velvet brand tobacco. My brother still has his old wrought iron pedestal ash tray, and you can still smell that tobacco! He quit smoking his pipe a week or so before he died at 93 in the hospital. He told me that he started smoking his pipe when he homesteaded in 1910.

I'm into pipes a little.

No aromatic's for me either......my daily driver is Lane 1Q. It's pretty mild but has a great taste and aroma.

I buy it in bulk...about 2lb's a year as well as a few pouches of John Bull for when I'm in the mood for something a little stronger.

Carter Hall's good but it's getting pretty expensive for what it is.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I'm into pipes a little.

No aromatic's for me either......my daily driver is Lane 1Q (I buy it in bulk...about 2lb's a year) but I keep a few pouches of John Bull on hand too.

Carter Hall's good but it's getting pretty expensive for what it is.

Lane 1Q is an aromatic- has vanilla flavoring added... actually it can be argued that Carter Hall is as well. Certainly not as heavily topped as 1Q or drugstore aros, but flavored nonetheless.

Carter Hall has a doppelganger called Chatham Manor by Hearth and Home (pipesandcigars dot com) It's available in bulk and is much cheaper than Carter Hall in pouches. It is also a higher quality tobacco IMO as well.

Note: not disparaging aromatics as many do... I smoke them (rarely) when required given indoors with company, but just not my thing in general.
I quit many years ago, but still have many pipes including several from both of my GrandFathers. I still miss it.
I always liked Prince Albert & Sir Walter Raleigh Tobaccos as that’s what both of them used & I loved the smell of them when I was a kid. Always brought back good memories 🤠
I thought 1Q wasn't aromatic but I'll take your word for it.

As for Carter Hall......I've heard it both ways but again..."I'll take your word for it".

I too order from pipesandcigars. They usually have sales and free shipping around the holidays so I'll order a couple pounds of 1Q and a pouch or tin or two of something stronger.

I'll give Chatham Manor a look next order......thanks.

PS......I used to mix 1Q and Carter Hall 50/50 before they raised the price so much......it was good.....real good.
Herbal tobacco? Hell no.

Imitation beef? Hell no.

You know how to tell the difference between fake titties and real titties? Who Cares! smile One of like three jokes I know.
Used to. Favorite tobacco was Balkan Sobranie, latakea blend with a pinch of perique. No flavoring. Tasted wonderful but reminded everyone else of old socks.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I quit many years ago, but still have many pipes including several from both of my GrandFathers. I still miss it.
I always liked Prince Albert & Sir Walter Raleigh Tobaccos as that’s what both of them used & I loved the smell of them when I was a kid. Always brought back good memories 🤠

I had a great uncle that would set out on the porch and smoke his pipe. Always loved the smell. He smoked Prince Albert in the flat tins. Had 100's of empty tins stashed in the trunk of his car. Don't know why he kept them, but he did.

One time I went by and he was smoking some other tobacco. Asked him why he had changed? He looked at me and asked me if I always drank coke? Old Fart!
Old rancher told me when he was a kid he worked for another old rancher that chewed plug tobacco. When he was done he’d place that old chewed cud up on the porch rafter and let it dry out. Then it went in his pipe.
Nope. Never smoked anything
Did for years. Quit in 1984. Best thing I ever did for heath reasons. Hasbeen
I partake once in awhile although not very often these days. So I have a bunch of good tins aging:)

Since I don’t smoke much I end up trying a variety of tobaccos. In general I like Virginias and Virginia blends best. Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake is my favorite, especially with some age on it.

Couple of Savinellis:

[Linked Image]

Erik Nording Freehand and an Orlik straight bulldog:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Herbal tobacco? Hell no.

Imitation beef? Hell no.

You know how to tell the difference between fake titties and real titties? Who Cares! smile One of like three jokes I know.

Haha I’m with you. But there is a large camp of dudes who much prefer natural to implanted tits. All good, some better I say. Always been a variety is the spice of life kinda guy
tobacco is like heroin to me. if i'm smoking, i'm banging them down. cigars especially. cheap ones, good ones, it don't matter and inhaling several a day. i wish i could smoke a pipe casually but i'd be on the back porch pounding that thing all day if i did. i just gotta steer clear. its a shame too cause i enjoy tobacco. too much apparently.
I use to. I got hooked on Erinmore Flake. I sure burned a lot of Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh years ago though. I went cold turkey when I quit then got hooked on Beechnut chew for many years while working underground. That was really hard to quit.
Not tobacco-that stuff'll kill you. A little bit of crack from the ol' glass dick really put a spring in my step, though.
[Linked Image]
I wish I could. I smoked mostly cigarettes for about 18 or so years interspersed with a pipe. I really enjoyed the pipe. However I was very addicted to nicotine and was smoking 2 or 2 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day. Finally managed to quit. Was damn hard to do. Been smoke free for about 33 years now. I still don't trust myself to take up a pipe again. Such a shame as a good pipe is such a pleasure.
Doctor wants nicotine in my system to help ulcerative colitis- said I could use patches or gum. I asked about smoke, he said pipe or cegars but no cigarettes. He's a good doctor.
The Story Behind General Douglas MacArthur's Legendary Missouri-Made Pipe

https://missourilife.com/missouri-meerschaum-1/
I used to smoke pipes. I had several at one stage: a Loewe of London briar, a Peterson System briar, a corncob and a traditional Swiss pipe, with a lid over the bowl, so you could smoke it with the bowl turned down, especially in wet weather. The Swiss often do smoke them that way - like these old blokes:

[Linked Image]

My Swiss grandmother bought that last one for me.

I started out smoking flavoured tobacco, like Borkum Riff and Irish Mead, but then I discovered a place in Sydney where they imported bulk tobacco and would make up whatever blend you wanted. I particularly liked a blend based on Latakia, or even just straight-up Latakia.

I gave smoking away years ago though, and I'm not sure now what happened to my pipes. They may well be hidden away somewhere for my heirs to find when I've gone.
I smoke pigs, not pipes.
© 24hourcampfire