Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Mine died about three in the afternoon on this date in 1984. A lot of things changed fast for me.

If you are not blest with a living father, remember the day yours's died?
Posted By: djs Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Christmas Day, 8:45 AM, 2010, 101 years old.
Posted By: JLWilson Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Aug. 30, 1966 at 5 pm. I was 15 at the time.
Was long past due.

It was a relief to all his offspring though.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is sometimes.
92 YO. He'd been living in a vet's hospital Alzheimers facility for a couple years before that. The dad I knew so well was gone long before he died.
By contrast, Mom's 101 and still going strong with 100% of her brain facilities.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
February 4th 2004, around 9:00 AM. Got up that morning and there was a message on the answering machine from my Mom saying "I'm taking Daddy to the hospital. I think he's having a heart attack." I threw my clothes on and ran every red light to get there, but he was gone before I got there. Worst day of my life. Just found out Saturday that Mom has cancer, so that brought it all back.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Any day now, or not. Thought yesterday was it, but he perked up.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
I remember like it was yesterday, January 9, 2005.

It's not something that ever goes away, the sting just gets to be less and less as time goes by.
Posted By: johnw Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
10 January 1977. Got a call, at Ft Bragg, from my mom and I thought she was calling for my birthday. Old man went in his sleep with a burst coronary artery.
Posted By: RickyD Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
My Mom called me at 5am to tell me Dad had passed. He was only 66.

The afternoon before, I was over to their house and we talked for 4 hours. That was a first. We had never talked that long previously. Everything that had been needed to be said, was said. There were also a few tears and hugs.

There is no way Dad did not feel good that day as the next, the day he passed, he and I were going to pull the 3 evergreen bushes from beneath the picture window and cut down two trees in his yard.
Had he not been feeling well, he would have put it off for another day.

Those 4 hours, the previous evening, was a gift from God.
Posted By: tzone Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by RickyD

Those 4 hours, the previous evening, was a gift from God.

I believe you're probably right.
Mostly pretty fuzzy. We were going to go fishing that day. Dad couldn't get out of bed. Got him to the hospital and he was gone three hours later. Good for him, Mom died after a long illness and we agreed that we'd rather be hit by a bus.
Posted By: Steve Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Yeah. The sun got a little brighter and the world a little better place.
November 11th 1981, he was only 45 years old. I was stationed at Fairchild and was out elk hunting when the troopers came up and found me in the mountains near Ellensburg Washington. Luckily I made it home before he passed away but he was not able to speak and passed 2 days later. I still miss him.
November 14 1990 about noon, after a battle with lung cancer.
He was 58.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
June 14 1978 around 10 a.m. He was having a conversation with mom while he was laying in bed. He had been working evenings and usually got home around 2 a.m. He was one day short of 52 years old. I caught up with the rescue when they were on their way to town and I could see the crew doing CPR. I knew it wasn't going to be a good result. This was his second one. My last conversation was the day before when we were out in the garden. A few minutes later I saw him on his way to work as he passed the house and passed the garden. It was the last time I saw him alive.

kwg
My beloved daddy died five years ago. He was my hero, and I still miss him.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
I don't remember the time, but my wife and I left Dallas around 6AM after a call and by the time we got there, probably around 8:45 he had just passed away.

Sept 29, 1996. My dad was 67 and lung cancer finally caught up to him.
March 30, 2004. I miss him very much.
Mine was 4 years ago, July 18th. He was riding his three wheel schwinn bike up to McDonalds for his morning coffee. A driver my dads age wandered off the road distracted and hit him. He died on the scene. He was my best friend and taught me how to hunt and fish. I am 57 years old and it still hurts to think about it. I live 160 miles from my parents so I go up there often. I just spent the weekend in many of his outdoor areas. I thought about him all weekend.
Jan. 16th. 2013 at 6:11pm. 72 years young from Alzheimer's. The last 10 years were rough, but the last five were terrible to see such a hard working man descend into a pile of nothing.

Everyone was there except our mother. She was on a much needed cruise with friends, terrible timing! Not her fault for being away. He went down hill in a matter of hours!

Elk Country
Posted By: G23 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
December 25th, 2013 at approximately 8:00 pm. I still miss him. Christmas isn't quite the same.

G23
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Coming up on 20 years next month, 9-19-1999. Hard to believe, I think of him often....
Posted By: hanco Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Never knew him, they divorced when I was a baby. You all that had a Dad are lucky. If you still have one, go see him!

Had a sorry stepdad that would beat you up, break your arms and jaw.
Posted By: efw Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
My father died on what would have been my mother’s 64th birthday, Feb 19 2011, in my baby girl’s room across the hall from mine. When I woke to check on him he was still warm. I got to carry him out onto the gurney for my semi-retired 6th grade math teacher to load him into the hearse.

He and I had a rough time the last few years. I was taking care of him after my mom died because he’d never grown up and had no self control.

The man who was like a second father to me died this past Friday morning. He and his wife were best friends w/ my parents in college and fixed them up on their first date, we’re devoted to the same congregation and had kids my age. Their oldest son was my best friend until he left town for the Army right after Hs. I hung out w/ all of them on Thursday as we all said our good byes. Pretty awesome experience.

Living well one day at a time makes dying well a lot easier, and after Thursday I see more clearly than ever what a gift dying well can be to the next generation. Thank God for my dad and for “Uncle Larry”.
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
One day before his 70th birthday - February 15, 1986..

For me, the entire universe tilted that morning because the very best man I ever knew left us for Heaven. He was one great man - wise, loving, tough, caring, skilled, and on and on. I had flown East to visit with him a week earlier and our weekend was simply filled with experiencing all of those. During his funeral celebration and by the grace of God, my eldest daughter and I were able to perform some of his favorite Christian music before becoming engulfed in tears and our sense of loss. His gain.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Mine died in1973, a week from his 53 birthday. heart attack. He'd had one about 5 years before, and we thought he was doing okay. I have him to thank for my love of guns and hunting. I was only 22, and have wondered many times just how my life would have turned out had he not does when he did, as he was the only child and a farmer, so it changed my plans a lot.
November 1, 2017, a little after 5 a.m. I got him up at 3:30 a.m. as usual to get ready for dialysis. At first he just said I'm not going today, which he had never done. He wanted to lay back down. Then he wanted to check his bank acct. which he did. He tried to lay down again, but I kept him up. Then he said he needed some help and wanted to go the E.R. I got him in the truck and by the time I got around to the driver's side he was in cardiac arrest. I called 911, drug him out of the truck and started CPR to no avail. I can still hear and feel the bones breaking from the compressions. It's still pretty rough some days, but seems to get better day by day.

Dad and I were pretty damn tight. We worked together for many years and lived together in the beginning and the end. The day before he died, I guess now that we both knew things were coming to a head. He seemed really down, so I took him to a friend's house on the bay. He got on the golf cart and sat by the bay for a good while. When we left he smiled, which I hadn't seen in quite some time, and said thanks. Later that evening we were sitting in his yard and he smiled again. He looked at me and said, "I picked a pretty place, didn't I"? I smiled back and said, "You sure did Dad". I'm still here, typing from his old desk.

Thanks for the thread btw. Dad's birthday was Aug. 29, 1941. He's been on my mind quite a bit, I guess with his birthday coming up. I'm gonna buy a new flag for his birthday, his old one is looking a little tired.
Mine died age 59 on June 26 1986 2 years after having an initial heart attack. On his last day I took him out on Lake Champlain for a day of lake trout and salmon fishing. We limited out and it was clouding up and the wind grew to an uncomfortable level so we quit for the day. On the way in bucking the rolling breakers he had a funny look in his eye. We ate some lunch then went our separate ways. I got the call that he passed at home around 11 that night. He loved to fish and it was fitting that he got to do it on his last day.
Remember it clearly
Oct 17,1980 3:10pm
53 yrs old, cancer
My dad, Irving W. C. Hamlin, passed away on August 28, 2001. He went several hours before I made it home from La Maddalena, Italy via MAC Flight. I flew back to Italy via a commercial flight out of Philadelphia on the morning of 9 September, 2001. I remember flying over New York City and seeing the World Trade Centers as we went by...

He was a combat infantryman 116/29th in the ETO, MIA in France for 72 Hrs (I have the telegrams), when he got out, he went to college, got a commission as a 1st Lt in the US Air Force after it split from the Army, got out as a Captain, went to work as Civil Service, retired in 75.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
August 8th of this year. He had a stroke in July. We knew it was the end. We all had an opportunity to say goodbye. He was a good man. It was tough the week before and the week after. Things are better now. He was 75, married for 55 years. Cant ask for a whole lot more.
Don't remember the day nor even the year. What I do remember is being happy he passed. To see what Alzheimer's and cancer had done to him let me know that whatever else I thought, I had compassion for the man.
Diagnosed with cancer on December 15, 1984, died February 28, 1985, He was twelve days short of 43. I was 22 and the oldest of five.
Posted By: ingwe Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Dec1, 1979......You never forget the worst day of your life...

At 56, he left the party way too early...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Somewhere I have the date written down. I'm terrible with days/dates/ time.

While he provided a good roof over our heads, plenty of nourishment, clothing, and activities like scouting, and he enjoyed helping out our community.......................

he was a real pain in the ass many other ways. Right up until he died.

Glad some of you folks had "great" dads.

I'll leave it at that.

Geno
Posted By: aalf Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19

may 26 ,2013 age of 76. hardest day of my life . cancer that he hid from everyone got him after a full and hard life that he absolutely lived to its fullest.
Posted By: dale06 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
4/21/92 age 66.
Damn cigarettes.
Last decade was rough, chemo, radiation, surgery, etc.
He never complained.
Awarded Purple Heart for wounds on Okinawa in 45.
He was a good dad to all seven of us kids.
Posted By: PWN Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
My father died May 5, 2017 after a 5 year battle with cancer that could not kill him. On that date he came home from the hospital the doctors said he would never leave, got in his truck and drove it at over 80 mph into a concrete bridge barrier. DRT. I always knew the only thing that could kill him was him. He was not a good man or father, but I hope he got into Heaven.

The man I loved like a son should love a father was Don Workman-my stepfather. I am certain he woke each day with two thoughts. First, what would make my mother happy and then what would make me happy. He and my mom live on the farm next to mine for the last 10 years of their lives. He loved being back on a farm. He was a wonderful man who worked for the same company for over 50 years. He was an old Indiana farm boy who loved to hunt and fish and could fix, plumb, wire, build and make about anything he wanted or needed in life. He enjoyed a good laugh and eating my mom's home cooking. He loved animals and doing just about anything with me and my mom. He was the most gentle and bravest man I have ever known. The courage and grace by which he faced pancreatic cancer was astonishing. When the doctor gave him he diagnosis Don turned to me and said "Well, that is bad news" and 20 months later he passed without a complaint. He never showed any self pity and never felt sorry for himself. I think he hung on so long as the end because he didn't want to leave my mom. His last words to me were " I love you and take care of your mother". He died at 5:00 a.m. June 12, 2016. I hope I face my death with as much dignity as he did. My mom passed a month and a day later. I think she missed him too much. Her last words were "I love you" then she reached out as if taking someone's hand and breathed her last breath. I like to think she took Don's hand into the next life.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Been nearly 45 years since mine passed.

All I can say is that if your father is still living you need to ask
him every kind of question you can think of and get him to tell
you stories of his life. They're all gone too soon
I remember getting the call alerting me to my biological father's death. The man was never anything like a father to me, or even a friend. I didn't care then and still do not.

My stepfather, who I regard as my dad, passed one Sunday morning four years ago. I got the call as I was headed home from hunting. It was a shock, but not unexpected as he had not been doing well at all. I have his photo at my loading bench and still find it hard to believe he is gone, and I do miss him.
December 17 1999 at 70 years old 4 weeks earlier he had a massive heart attack and found out he cancer every where. God was merciful he died of a stroke. He took care of our needs but wasn't close to his sons, maybe because he didn't have a Father he left when he was 8 years old.
Posted By: Scott Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
March 26th 2019 0300 - got the call about an hour later. He'd been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer right before Christmas. I live about 5 hours away but would call 3-4 times a week on my drive home, miss those. The day before I pulled off the road and talked an additional 15-20 minutes before I knew I was entering an area I'd loose signal, glad I did. He went peacefully so I'm thankful for that and the time we had this spring. Miss the calls though.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Valentine's Day 2018.

Hadn't smoked in 35 years but that was still what killed him.
Fall of 1973, I was short of 3.
Split rim truck tire got him.
Farmer, logger, sawmiller, he was well regarded by his peers, several who would tear up
talking about him decades later. I have always wondered what he would think of me,
and would I measure up. I hope so.

Mom re-married in 1980. A very good man took on a son handicapped in a farm accident,
A daughter, and myself. Raised us as his, we refer to him as Dad, I'm his Son.
Posted By: Otter Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
May 24, 2007 at about 3:00 PM. June 23 he would have been 76. He had a Dr appt that morning, Mom went along, Dr said all looked well and just to keep doing what he was doing for his water retention treatment. Mom made him a sandwich after which he did what he always did, sat in his recliner for his after lunch nap . . . he never woke up. Officially they say he had a heart attack, but smoking and drinking heavily for well over 60 years was what I believe was the real cause. We had moved 500 miles from Mom & Dad 5 years earlier, I felt guilty about leaving them, hell, I still do. The first six months, or so after he died, I found myself picking up the phone to "consult" Dad and actually started pushing the numbers before remembering he wasn't there.

I was working in my home office when my sister called and told me Dad was gone. I started sobbing and put my head on my desk. Our Border Collie / Lab mix walked into the office, laid his head on my knee, looked up at me with sad eyes and let out a heavy sigh . . . Tell me dogs don't detect and react to emotions. It has been over 12 years now and the "pain" has subsided a bit, but it is still there.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Was long past due.

It was a relief to all his offspring though.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is sometimes.

Not the case with dad, but was with mom.

Got a call from the hospital right at midnight Feb 6 2013. Found in room unresponsive. Death certificate says 2/7/13, but I'm sure he actually passed late on the 6th. He would have been 90 if he'd lived another week and was in pretty good shape except for the last year where he had some struggles. He had suddenly gotten weak 2-3 days prior and was admitted to the hospital for observation. Dad was ready to go.

Mom never really got on her feet after dad died. The next 5 years were one hospital visit after the other. She broke both hips and fought through to recovery. But came down with pneumonia just before Christmas 2017 . By all accounts she should have died then, but she fought on until about 3PM 1/1/2018. She never got out of bed the last year. Weighed under 100 lbs when she died at age 87.
Ides of March, 1998

"The evil me do live on, while their good deeds are oft interred with their bones."
Posted By: ldholton Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Day after Thanksgiving 2016. My sister let him know that I got all the cows move back home five minutes later he died he had been real worried about that. Smoked for like 60 years died of a massive brain tumor go figure. Lungs were checked when he was sick and absolutely perfect.

The kind of make matters slightly worse at the time that was one day and eight years after my granddad died on Thanksgiving Day. That would have been my mother's dad
Posted By: Sprint11 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
June 11, 2015 12:17 p.m. Also known as The Day The World Stopped.

After a long battle with cancer (F*cking cancer). After countless surgeries attempting to halt it's spread and a brief period of remission, he decided he did not want to endure the ordeal of chemo, the use of which would only extend his life by a few months but at a terrible cost. He did one treatment and decided not to continue. So, we tried to make the best of his remaining months. We traveled and worked together for my entire life meeting many, many people across the country, and it was into his office that I had to step after his passing to continue the business. In the last month, I arranged for so many of his friends to call and come by to visit him, as we all knew what was coming. The weekend before The Day he insisted on going to an annual party that a family member hosts which draws hundreds of people, roasts lamb from the family ranch, and lasts all day and into the night. He insisted on attending but did not use oxygen during the time. This decision shortened his life considerably. I sat watching him reminisce with all his cousins (he was everyone's favorite) about the small town they all originated from, and observed the deterioration of his mental state that lack of O2 causes. Finally we made him leave, and I had to carry him to the car. A week later he was surrounded by his family as he breathed his last with me holding his hand.

I know every man loses his father, but that doesn't make the experience any easier.
Posted By: RAS Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Thanksgiving 2015
May 13 2010. Dad was 88 years old.
He'd been in pretty good health up until fall, but wouldn't go hunting because he was having trouble controlling his bowels, which I didn't know.
In late April he decided to have a bag put in. He never recovered from the surgery.
Watching the toughest man I knew waste away in a hospice was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
Ain't a day goes by that I don't think of him and Mom and thank God for the blessing of two great parents who loved me!
7mm
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ides of March, 1998

"The evil me do live on, while their good deeds are oft interred with their bones."

Fortunately, for me anyway, his good deeds are still thought abut frequently and the beatings of us kids and the berating of my mother are just a fading memory.

Geno
Posted By: Sykotik Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
December 16 1998. Heart attack....He was 53.
Good Friday, 2011. He gave far better than he got.
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Mine is alive and well.

If I have to listen to another Lee Marvin or Lee van Cleef story, I'm gonna smash his remote control and call block him on my iphone

He's hiking out near Mt Whitney this week in King's Canyon. And I seriously doubt he's wearing his Air Cav Stetson.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
Mine is alive and well.

If I have to listen to another Lee Marvin or Lee van Cleef story, I'm gonna smash his remote control and call block him on my iphone

He's hiking out near Mt Whitney this week in King's Canyon.

The other side of this story is him bragging to his buddies about driving you crazy telling you rambling stories about long-dead B movie actors.
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
I told him I gonna put him in a nursing home and make him watch Throw Mama from the Train every day.
Posted By: 280Rem1 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
October 30, 2015 at 84 yrs old... the anniversary of his and Mom's first date. She died 6 yrs earlier on Good Friday. Same hospital, same surgeon, same surgery. Both died post-op and never left the hospital.
wake up every morning and go and check if he is up. just drove him home, 80 still working.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I told him I gonna put him in a nursing home and make him watch Throw Mama from the Train every day.

Hahaha!!!
Dec. 1,2017.. He was 91.. Had a good life.. Lived with a family I have known all my life..
Posted By: Hudge Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
My father died Dec. 12, 1993. He had lung cancer that was from a combination of smoking and working as a mechanic being exposed to asbestos. He had one lung removed and never left the hospital. Doctor said one of his lungs liked like a 15 year old that had never smoked one day of their life, and the other lung that was removed, looked like a 70+ year old that smoked 2-3 packs a day. My dad was 60, and I was 17 when he passed. My mom is still kicking around as he just turned 80 in June. So far she has lived longer than anyone else than one of her aunts. She's already out lived 2 of her younger sisters, by 10+ years.
my biggest fear is the morning i don't see his light on and him getting ready for work or church. i've woke him up more than once when he decided to sleep late, because i was worried.
Dec.19, 1948 Went to school AM came home for lunch and hell had broke loose, he worked derrick on an oil rig and it had hit a gas pocket which exploded and flames where 2-300 ft in the air.
Needless to say it was a closed casket funeral. I was 13 and the eldest of 5. So enjoy your father as long as you can. Cheers NC
The day my father died, when I was twelve, was the happiest day of my life.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19

1959 he passed.........

was just a kid......

never got to really know him.......
I was 19 years old. Dad had been in quarded intensive care for several days. He waved to us as they wheeled him back to try and stop the bleeding. He knew it was a one way trip. I'll never forget the look on his face. The tough old man finally just gave up. I never quit missing him. It's as fresh, and raw now as it ever was. Deer season is always the toughest time.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/19/19
December 22 1966, I was eight, dad was 36. He left a wife and 4 kids, cancer is a bitch.
Nov 30 2006.....He had dementia and was supposed to go to a specialist to get checked out. He lost his balance on his sisters stairs and stumbled down them and hit his head on her basement floor. He never regained consciousness. We had the life support removed as his brain was swelling and he wasn't coming back. There was a bad ice storm coming in and I sent my Mom and my sister home while I sat with him.

I remember trying to get him to go deer hunting with me the week before he fell, it was something we did together for 30 years. He wouldn't get out of the house. I sat there thinking " How are we going to get through the next 10 years", unknown to me I didn't even have 10 days. Got to do the whole thing over 22 months later when my Mom got an infection that went septic.

KC
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
Been several years ago now. Don't recall the exact date or anything other that everyone standing around the bed looking sad and waiting for the machine to tell us when he was no longer with us.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
July 24, 2014. 9:30 PM

Cancer ate him up. If he'd have fought it another 2 1/2 hours, he'd have passed on the same date as HIS dad, 40 years earlier.
It seems all fathers leave behind a lasting impact on their family.

I envy those of you who have fond memories of your Dad.

I am trying hard to give my kids memories of love acceptance and a man who couldn’t be more proud of them.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by Bill in NE
It seems all fathers leave behind a lasting impact on their family.

I envy those of you who have fond memories of your Dad.

I am trying hard to give my kids memories of love acceptance and a man who couldn’t be more proud of them.

Amen brother
Yeah, it sucked schit, thanks for reminding me.
My wife and I were having problems, and she had moved out. My Dad, a widower, was on his way up to Idaho and stopped at the house in Flagstaff on his way through to spend the night. About 30 minutes before he arrived, she stopped by and served divorce papers. She left, and he arrived. I didn't tell him what had just happened as I thought it could wait until his trip back through on his way home in Mesa. Didn't want to spoil his trip.

The next morning, I got up early like I always do to make breakfast for him and my daughters. While cooking breakfast and packing him his lunch, he philosophized about life like he always did. He asked what do I think heaven will be like. I said I didn't know. He said "I think it's gonna be all your questions are answered, you can be anywhere you want, and you will feel total love." His knowing my wife and I were having problems, he said, "Son, live life. Be happy. You only live 30,000 days, so make them count." I asked where he got that number, and he said math. "Figure 80 years at 400 days per year, so say 30,000. That's 30,000 dinners, breakfast, and chances to drink good coffee and good beer. Get the good stuff. Enjoy every sunrise and sunset." He borrowed my tire gauge to check his tire pressures on his new truck. Being a 20 year retired Air Force pilot, he never sped and always did equipment checks on his cars even 30 years after retiring. I told him I loved him, hugged him, he said the same to my kids and 4 and 6 year old daughters, and left.

He left the house at about 6:30AM and was killed in a car accident, being forced off the road by a southbound driver, just north of Kanab, Utah at 11:30AM the same day, May 26, 2004. He was 75. In great shape.

The next day, I went to Kanab to claim his body and get his belongings out of his truck. Climbing into that cab, was, well, not easy. My world was collapsing, and I had didn't know how I was going to survive.

Obviously, I did.

We built a memorial on the side of the road where his car came to rest.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
Sept. 28th or 29th, 1981. We lost him at age 57. The emphysema from 35 years of cigarettes finally got so bad he went quietly in his sleep that night. My mom was laying in the same bed and didn't know he had passed until she got up for work that morning. She said he had gotten up in the middle of the night for a bathroom visit, came back to bed and went back to sleep. They say when the emphysema gets bad enough that your lungs can't transfer oxygen into the blood stream your body goes into shutdown mode. I was at work that morning and when my boss came walking up to me to tell me I took one look at him and knew something bad happened.
Posted By: kennyd Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
2001 july 31. Age 87. Massive heart attack. I took the long way home to buy flowers for wife and was late. She met me at door and we went to the hospital in time. My wife and he were good friends as she took on caregiving for both parents, siblings did their part too. e He was a man who could not be matched; spent his last minutes telling us of the skinny girl he met ( mom) and how he fell in love. Also words on taking care of her ,the nuts brother, and each other. Mom lasted 6 weeks, the nut went in 2003.
Since it was 2 am and I had no one else I posted on a muzzle loader forum and got many responses. There are a lot of good caring friends on forums even if we dont know them face to face
I try hard to be half the man he was and be a patriarch for what family is left
June 23 1986 11:27 A.M. 46 years old. We were logging.
Posted By: DaveR Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
The old man passed on Christmas Day. His heart had finally given out after a battle with congestive heart failure.

I was with my then young son (11 yrs old) sitting on a saddle overlooking the Verde River when he passed. Twenty years to the day and minute he passed, I was sitting on the same saddle with him, looking for javelina during a scouting trip for the little critters, in what the old man always said was "the coldest and most miserable weather trip" he had been on, but was also what he considered his best trip with a snug and dry camp, and good times. We'd only hunted there a few times, but it was a favorite spot to camp and poke around due to the location and petroglyphs and waybills which were heavy in the area. But Christmas day of 1984 was the last time we'd visited there together. Twenty years later I sat there with my son telling him of our camps and hunts there when I was a kid. Some time during that sit and talk of old times session sitting on that point with my son, my old man passed.

The thought of that sends chills down me to this day.

I wasn't with him when he passed, but I'm sure he wouldn't of wanted it any other way.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
wabigoon;
Good evening to you my friend, thank you from the bottom of my heart for the thread and from the same place I'll thank all who've shared in it thus far and those who will.

When I was 9, my father was 51 and he had a heart attack which at the time less than 10% of victims did. He did however suffer from heart issues for the remainder of his life and I honestly lost count how many times I either met the ambulance at the hospital or took him in myself with the 4 way flashers going.

The spring he died, he had just been cleared to fly by his doctors - something he'd not been able to do for years - and so it was that he was a guest at my elder brother's 50th birthday party.

We picked them up from the airport and Dad and I were chatting in the garage while Mom talked to my wife and visited the kids in the house.

Dad said to me, "You know Dwayne, I'm going to be 83 this year if the Lord wills it, but honestly I can't make sense of that many years passing. Maybe 53 makes sense, but my eldest boy is almost that now so I know that can't be. It's gone much faster than I can understand somehow"

While I know we chatted about other things, that's what sticks out in my mind.

At 2:00AM that night/next morning, Mom called saying Dad had suffered from a stroke. The girls were staying there, so my wife and I headed over and after the ambulance loaded Dad, Mom and I followed to the local ER.

From what I can recall it was a little before 5:00 when the doctor came and asked us if Dad had any end of life wishes - as in heroic measures to prolong his life.

He'd often told me he wanted to die quickly and not be kept alive without his faculties - but unfortunately hadn't ever had that discussion with Mom. She asked me for years if I was sure I'd made the right decision when I told the doctor to just ease his way out.

It was right about 10:00AM on March 28, 2003 that Dad passed.

There were so many ways that the Lord honored his prayers, but a quick death was most surely one.

We buried Mom earlier this summer after a couple years of descending into worsening dementia - as others have said, when Mom passed it was overdue and a relief for us and I believe her too. She's with Dad finally.

Anyway wabigoon and the rest, I again want to sincerely thank each and every one of you for sharing this with us - with me.

Somehow it's meant a lot to me to read your experiences and honestly to think through and articulate my own.

Good luck on your upcoming hunts all, looks to be some good antler mass out there.

Dwayne
Posted By: Fugawe Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
Friday, November 5th, 1999, 10:38PM.
I held his hand as he went and called TOD.
Complications from a tumor in his skull.
Most bizarre situation I've ever been in.
I could never have imagined a situation where
I would be telling someone that it was okay to let go.
I thank God for the nurse who was there. She was amazing.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
Sorry to hear about your mom Dwayne (well, sorry to hear about everyone's stories in this thread) but earlier this summer is pretty recent.

To the OP: I lost mine on Oct 8, 1997. I was 18 years old. Still doesn't feel right.
Died little over 3 years ago, diagnosed with cancer made it almost 3 weeks, hit him like a train. I was asleep next to his bed when he passed. Woke to find him gone, 2:30 in the morning. I prayed and God showed up and let me know he was fine, drove m right to my knees, won’t ever forget that feeling of overwhelming presence. Got him cleaned up and woke up the family. Won’t say I don’t miss him, I do, but it’s different when you know beyond all doubt you will see each other soon. We were very close.

MM
May 8, 1986. I got the call and drove like a maniac yet missed him by 5 minutes. 71 years old. He was kinda like "The Great Santini". He was supposed to get out of the USMC in January of 1942 but the Japs extended his time for the "duration" and came out a Gunny. He gave my mother, my siblings and me hell for many many years. He beat us all the time but the verbal abuse was the worst. Things that were not allowed: friends, fun, laughing, watching TV, running, games. sports and anything else a normal child wants to do. He mellowed in his 60s but by that time we all had the original PTSD. He died at 71. I am 70. None of us ever talked back to him. I wonder now why I didn't talk about it with him. I never hated him. My own family was not treated that way. My kids wonder why I don't smile much. My grandkids are my pride and joy and my best times are spent with them now.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
I took over my family business as third generation I’ve seen my grandmother my grandfather my uncle and my dad run it the last day I was with my dad we drilled open a vault door in and I scoped the wheels and turned the handle
Feb 8 2011 at 73. 31 years after his first heart attack and one day after getting his 5th ICD implanted. He worked right up until he couldn't and then bitched about not being able to. The first time he told me he loved me was the night my first wife died. He won't big on showing emotion but I knew he would do anything for me. Still miss him.
Posted By: lightman Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
Mine died 15 years ago, at the age of 76, from Leukemia. Mom and I were in the hospital room with him and my Brother was coming in from out of state. Mom had dozed off and I was sitting there awake when he quit breathing. I hope He knew that someone was three with him at the end.
I've never cried this much since my dad passed in April 25th, 1999. Now alot of this thread is about guys that died at or before my age of 53. Jeez, this is a real tear jerker of a thread.

God bless all of you guys.
Posted By: PPosey Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
3 years and 1 day ago, Dad died of a unexpected massive heart attack at 62. He seemed to be in good health, lost my best friend and most dependable backup at the same time.
Guys, listen to "Dad's Old Number" by Cole Swindell. It sure hits home.

How many of you guys have dialed your Dad's number after he passed, without thinking first?

I've did it so many times.
September 29, 1998 in the wee hours of the morning at the age of 88.

Dad called a few weeks earlier and said his cancer was back and there was nothing medicine could do and asked if I'd come stay with him. I told my boss and he said "get the füück out of here and call me when you get settled". Dad and I hung out and talked or hung out and didn't talk. Nothing was off the table. My brother wanted me to call when I thought it was close and I did but he didn't make it in time...that was rough. Dad's the foundation I've built my life on and I'd give almost anything for him to be able to see my kids and grandkids today.

Mom passed 3 weeks ago today at the age of 96. Her dementia was getting bad and it was a blessing that she went quickly. I had the privilege of caring for her the last 14 years.
Originally Posted by stomatador
September 29, 1998 in the wee hours of the morning at the age of 88.

Dad called a few weeks earlier and said his cancer was back and there was nothing medicine could do and asked if I'd come stay with him. I told my boss and he said "get the füück out of here and call me when you get settled". Dad and I hung out and talked or hung out and didn't talk. Nothing was off the table. My brother wanted me to call when I thought it was close and I did but he didn't make it in time...that was rough. Dad's the foundation I've built my life on and I'd give almost anything for him to be able to see my kids and grandkids today.

Mom passed 3 weeks ago today at the age of 96. Her dementia was getting bad and it was a blessing that she went quickly. I had the privilege of caring for her the last 14 years.

A good man here fire ^^^^^^^
Dad passed away on Dec. 6, 1994 at 5:30 am, he 64, I was 42. I had just had lunch( brought him BBQ Hash) with He and Mom that day, I lived about 95 miles away.

I drove home ,arrived ,ate a sandwich and my Sister called. Dad had a brain stem aneurism and was basically gone, we pulled life and then waited almost 40 hours for him to pass away. The hardest hours of my life, I miss and think about him daily, Mom died June 2, 2014.

Mom died from dementia, my Sis and I took care of her for the last 5 years, the last 2 she never spoke about Dad and then the last year we had to tell her who we were, that was hard, because she turned in to a mean, mean one.
Posted By: nugget Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
My dad died 1949 I was 4 years old ,don't remember much about him,I'm sure my life would have been a lot better if he had lived longer,so if you have a dad don't take him for granted ,visit him as much as you can
Posted By: EdM Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/20/19
Mine, who lived in NorCal, died last year eight days after his 89th birthday (June 6th) and four days after I left from my annual visit. I was in Namibia when he passed.
Mine physically, verbally, and emotionally beat the crap out of my mom for over 50 years. He disassociated himself from his kids when mom died 5 years ago. Only stuck around to beat everyone and put us down. Don't miss him. Dead to me.
My dad died 3/3/16 at 0142. I flew across the country all day to get there around supper time. I was the last of the kids to arrive. He was pretty out of it but obviously knew I was there. It was a real blessing to be able to leave nothing unsaid to him. I thanked him for all the years of taking the time to make sure I was included in hunting and fishing and for being such a good source of advice. When he died we were all gathered around him, with me and one of my younger sisters holding his hands. I still think of things I wish I could ask him.

The last five months were pretty rough for him as he was a bed ridden invalid. In October of 2015 when he first really went downhill it looked as though he might go quick so the wife and I took the kids for one last visit. One afternoon he said to me "Go get the Winchester, I want to give it to that boy." I knew immediately which Winchester he meant. I grabbed a camera along with the rifle. I was able to video dad giving my then 8 year old his favorite rifle, a Model 70 Winlite .270. With a shaky voice he told stories of some of the more memorable times afield with the rifle and handed it off to my little guy, saying "Just think of me sometimes when you use this."
Posted By: old70 Re: The Day Your Father Died? - 08/21/19
17 November 2003, he was deer hunting. When he was late back to the cabin, the crew went to look for him and found him 10 feet from the blind, heart failure. Died doing what he loved.

Old70
© 24hourcampfire