Home
Best price I seen anywhere and it isnt even on sale yet. I bet they take it to $24.99 at some point. 2 10.5in skillets one deep fryer and one regular use as cover.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Defintely a great price for "Made in the USA". Wonder if the steel is decent quality?
I bought one a while back.

Have not used it yet but Lodge is damn solid.

In fact I just picked up a 12 inch skillet at the Swap Meet (dumps).

They left it right on the ledge before the dumpster.

I would have left it there....but it was a Lodge.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Defintely a great price for "Made in the USA". Wonder if the steel is decent quality?

Its USA Lodge. Are you assuming its different from any other USA made Lodge products?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Thats a big skillet for sure.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Its USA Lodge. Are you assuming its different from any other USA made Lodge products?

Maybe the last 6 months they changed their metallurgy as opposed to the last 100 yrs of Lodge.

They crawl out from under the rocks everyday.

Some group " i havent stepped foot in walmart since johns manville asbestos plant closed down in '59"

Its hard to tell.

Its the same diameter as my Cabelas 12 inch. but the Lodge site calls it a 10.

Maybe Cabelas measures the rim and Lodge measures the bottom.
COSTCO???!!!!!

I didn't see that before.....hell with them guys!
FC,

I wonder if they'll have them over at the Redding store the next time I head that way?

Maybe I should check the .com version of Costco.

Geno
COSTCO???!!!!!

Lol, Atta boy, stay consistent.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
FC,

I wonder if they'll have them over at the Redding store the next time I head that way?

Geno

Costco.com wont tell you about store inventory. Just call. Give them the info off the picture of the price tag I posted.

Its hard to tell.

Maybe could it be a “No. “ 10?
FC,

Geno

Costco.com wont tell you about store inventory. Just call. Give them the info off the picture of the price tag I posted.

Wasn't looking for inventory. Not sure when I'll next make the 3 hr drive.

Was thinking maybe they sell it online. Some stuff they have the same as the stores, but of course, with them bastids not every store has the same items even.

Thanks for letting us know about them. Would make a hell of a camping set up.

Geno
“Would make a hell of a camping set up.”

Geno

You gonna backpack that somewheres?
🤣
Gonna be in there store for sometthing else tomorrow. . . .
Don't need it but may just buy it anyway
Great deal seems like i paid about $65-70 for mine maybe three years ago .
Hotting mine up right now fat ribeye going in in shortly .

The set makes a great deep dish pizza pie , get the top hotterNhades oven up high , room temp deep skillet-lay in a crust , cover with sauce [meat flavor ragu] , onions garlic banana pepper , lots of ground beef & pork, CHEESE , sauce , beef , pepperoni- sauce -cheese- sauce- pineapple - sausage , . Open oven door set deep dish on door grab hotterNhades top place on top of deep pan - put in oven for 25 minutes , remove lift off top pan put cubed ribeye steak on top - put back in oven until steak looks good .
Cold beer or a big sas of redwine - get fat - slice of Heaven once you master the times with 'your' oven .

PS don't get sauce on black skillet the tomatoe will remove the seasoning .
Originally Posted by ironbender

Geno

🤣

Having reached retirement age..............................

I think I've learned better.

But I bet I could!

for a mile at least.

Geno
That's a great package at a great price.

Perfect combo for camping or a starting point for someone new to CI.
Best price I seen anywhere and it isnt even on sale yet. I bet they take it to $24.99 at some point. 2 10.5in skillets one deep fryer and one regular use as cover.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bet you could bake in that outdoors as a Dutch oven. coals on top. need a trivet to get the bottom pan up a bit so you could have a few coals underneath.

https://gsioutdoors.com/dutch-oven-stand.html
Good chicken fryer.

Its hard to tell.

i think there is a chinese version you might be able to get cheaper
Originally Posted by sse

Its hard to tell.

i think there is a chinese version you might be able to get cheaper

Yeah buy chinese - they need the money for their military .
Originally Posted by Sycamore

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bet you could bake in that outdoors as a Dutch oven. coals on top. need a trivet to get the bottom pan up a bit so you could have a few coals underneath.

https://gsioutdoors.com/dutch-oven-stand.html

Trivet?

When camping?

Why they heck did Ma Nature make rocks of all sizes then? wink

Geno
she just won't make 3 of the same size, in the same place!
All great ideas.

Anyone peruse the Lodge website and see that Blacklock Line of CI they are producing?

http://www.lodgemfg.com/story/meet-blacklock-lodge-s-new-premium-line
Cool looking handles. Bet they work, up to a point as they say in the piece.

Don't know the make of grandma's (great grandma's?) that our family still has, but it is a heck of a lot thinner than the newer lodge I have. Nice to see them coming out with a thinner model

Geno
I have a mess of family hand me down cast iron, and started collecting cast iron waffle irons about 15 years ago. I have seen Lodge sold in stores, and since I have never seen an old lodge cast iron anything assumed they were chineese and recent manufacture but it seems they have been casting cookware since around 1910. Anyone have a Lodge from the easrly days? All my good stuff, Griswold, etc have smooth internal surfaces, lodge seems to be more of an as-cast finish and rough.

On tomatoe acid affecting seasoning, from my experience I haven't seen this, and suspect a poor seasoned pan might be the reason? Good, old seasoned iron seems bulletproof from my experience.
Might have to stop in a Williams Sonoma to check it out.

It is amazing how light my great grandmothers 1930's Griswold skillet is compared to Lodge's. Ill say one thing though you drop a lodge and it will dent or chip the floor. Drop the older CI and its just as likely to crack and break.
Aint no tomato acid getting through great grandmas seasoned pan.

[Linked Image]
Well, I might prefer to get hit with the old family skillet than my Lodge, that's for sure.

But I'd really rather not get whacked with either.

Or drop one of them. Probably more than a few dents in some old wooden kitchen floors from them

Geno
COSTCO???!!!!!

lol,,, not a fan?
That's a nice setup for a nice price. Thanks for sharing FC.

We've got several Lodge pieces and some Wagners. We bought them all new and they have served well. The deep skillet like the one pictured was bought at some garage sale or something. I don't know what brand that one is. The rest of the stuff here has brand names on it save for Grandma's small iron skillet. Maybe both of them are Lodge too but no markings I've ever seen.
Originally Posted by hemiallen
I have a mess of family hand me down cast iron, and started collecting cast iron waffle irons about 15 years ago. I have seen Lodge sold in stores, and since I have never seen an old lodge cast iron anything assumed they were chineese and recent manufacture but it seems they have been casting cookware since around 1910. Anyone have a Lodge from the easrly days? All my good stuff, Griswold, etc have smooth internal surfaces, lodge seems to be more of an as-cast finish and rough.

On tomatoe acid affecting seasoning, from my experience I haven't seen this, and suspect a poor seasoned pan might be the reason? Good, old seasoned iron seems bulletproof from my experience.

1896 Joseph Lodge , Tennessee .
Originally Posted by kid0917
COSTCO???!!!!!

lol,,, not a fan?

Jim's mad at their meat. haha
Susabitches!

[Linked Image]

let it sit in there overnight with a little water...see what happens...
Originally Posted by sse

[Linked Image]

let it sit in there overnight with a little water...see what happens...

That would be a rookie mistake, no?

And why some folks prefer "non-stick" stuff. Or stainless.

Geno
where CI is concerned there are alot of rookies, I used to be one
Understood,

and although I grew up around the old family fry pan, I've made a mistake or two myself. blush

That is the good thing about cast, hard to ruin it. Seasoning gets bad...............reseason it. Burnt something in it, clean it out and reseason it. Cooked and left acidic food in it, reseason it. Managed to get rust in it, remove the rust and reseason it.

It's one of the reasons I'll always have it around. Can't do that when you overheat a teflon coated pan.

Geno

It is amazing how light my great grandmothers 1930's Griswold skillet is compared to Lodge's. Ill say one thing though you drop a lodge and it will dent or chip the floor. Drop the older CI and its just as likely to crack and break.

Like to know what the finish is like on these. My problem with lodge is the pebbly finish out of the box.

It's cast iron, not steel.

My experience is that Lodge cast iron is brittle. You have to be careful with it or it will break. Not so with my antique Griswold cast iron cookware.
Academy sports sells them for $34.
Local Kroger (Fred Meyer) chain store frequently has incredible deals on good CI from Lodge. They also sell a house brand that looks to be okay.
Understood,

and although I grew up around the old family fry pan, I've made a mistake or two myself. blush

Geno

OTOH, FatCali was born with CI instinct...
For anyone interested, Amazon has this for $32.95 with free shipping for Prime members.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Local Kroger (Fred Meyer) chain store frequently has incredible deals on good CI from Lodge. They also sell a house brand that looks to be okay.

Lodge's enameled CI @ Fredgy's is Chinee made and will incur lots of wrath. Just sayin.

[Linked Image]

That needs a stripping and re-season, I think your eating some of grandma’s sauce from 1958.
All great ideas.

Anyone peruse the Lodge website and see that Blacklock Line of CI they are producing?

http://www.lodgemfg.com/story/meet-blacklock-lodge-s-new-premium-line

I looked at that link. That seems to be for those that dont know how to reseason CI.
here's bender waitin in line to get a new skillet

[Linked Image]

I picked up two different size never been cooked with Lodge 'pre-seasoned' cast iron skillets at a yard sale a few years back for $1 each. My one gripe with them is they have a awfully rough, grainy cooking surface.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/frequently-asked-questions

Are Lodge products made in the USA?

All of our foundry Seasoned Cast Iron and our Seasoned Carbon Steel products are manufactured in the USA and always will be. All Enameled Cast Iron products are made in China to our strict quality standards and overseen by an American owned 3rd party inspection company. Our accessories come from multiple sources, some of which are American, and some overseas. Our in-house Quality Assurance Department constantly inspects all items we produce and sell.

Geno

🤣

Why not? Norman Clyde used to pack, amongst other things, a cobblers anvil, when on his long climbing excursions in the Sierras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Clyde

The guy was utterly amazing. Perhaps a candidate for the greatest white athlete? XD
Just got back from Costco, thanks for the heads up!
Originally Posted by Barkoff

[Linked Image]

That needs a stripping and re-season, I think your eating some of grandma’s sauce from 1958.

Screw that. Your looking at 70 years of home cooking love that raised three generations.

No need to go fugging with a good thing that works better than most anything you can buy new.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Down to $24.95 at the local Costco.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It's cast iron, not steel.

My experience is that Lodge cast iron is brittle. You have to be careful with it or it will break. Not so with my antique Griswold cast iron cookware.

You ever actually "break" a Lodge pan?

If so please post a pic..

Or is that just some more of the crap you read and and then regurgitate on YouTube?
Originally Posted by Steve

Like to know what the finish is like on these. My problem with lodge is the pebbly finish out of the box.

Darned tootin. LOL Haven't said that in years.

I have a 12 SK that's nice and smooth.
Don't care for any of the new stuff. The finish looks and feels like sand paper.
Originally Posted by hemiallen

For about 50 years lodge didn’t put their name on anything. You can identify them by marks though. Called notches . They made one, two and three notch.. one notch being the oldest and sometimes has lodge written on it. There’s more to it than that but for the most part accurate.

Here is my 3 notch, likely made in the 40’s..I’d prefer lodge sold them like that still. but understand why they don’t anymore.

[Linked Image from i540.photobucket.com]
Got the 6.5'' [reminded me of the creedmoor] wildlife series 'wolf' pan , just right for bacon and three eggs breakfast , heats up fast .

I've sanded all 3 of my Lodge down smooth - slicker than moles ass now .
New lodge stuff is good.

You can sand or just start cooking.
© 24hourcampfire