Home
I’ve got a very tiny chip in my windshield. I’ve had chips repaired before but figured why can’t I just drizzle some superglue on myself and wipe off the excess with Acetone and a razor blade.

Or is there some special tool required to force the glue into the crack more? Thanks.
I've done a few times and so far it's worked. I believe Rainx makes a product similar to what the pros use to fill the chip. Looks like a viable option too.

Just save yourself the grief and get a shop to do it, here it costs twenty dollars for them to drill it and apply under vacuum.
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that superglue (cyanacrilate sp?) only hardens in the absence of air. If so, this fact, combined with a need to force it more deeply into cracks, could, considering its short hardening time, result in an amateur attempt to do what you propose becoming a great source of amusement for onlookers.

I think there are people with the tools, experience and knowledge to fix small cracks and chips in windshields. Not that I haven’t set out on a few I’ll-advised diy journeys myself.
Most insurance companies cover rock chips with no co pay to you? Safelite will come to your door or place of business and repair without having to go to shop.
Originally Posted by Esox357
Most insurance companies cover rock chips with no co pay to you? Safelite will come to your door or place of business and repair without having to go to shop.

Wife used this approach on her Yukon a few years ago. The Safelite guy said "oh my, thats the biggest 'chip' I've ever seen, but I'll see what I can do". You could still see it after he was done, but only if you were looking for it. It was in the same condition 3 years later when we traded it off. Paid nothing out of pocket for it.

This, had it done many times with no problems after.
Get a pro, with the right tools.
W/0 the vacuum, it won't penetrate.
Then a pro won't be able to do a good job later.
I have super glued some, had others done by a shop. The shop has a good vacuum so the glue penetrates, even the DIY kits with a suction cup dont do that as well. I could see some of the larger ones as the refraction changes. Do it soon, water, dirt, and stress will negate the effect.
Right now my truck has a crack clear across the top. Since I understand the law allows them if not in the wiper path I bought shorter wipers. You do lose some strength with a crack, but there are so many rocks on roads I ignore it. Liability insurance only so it is my dime, but a Ford pickup is one of the cheapest windshields going
Originally Posted by Dennis81082

This, had it done many times with no problems after.

And another vote here.

I had a 1.5 to 2 inch crack repaired on my last truck and you could not tell it had ever been cracked after the repair.
Went thru my insurance cost me nothing.
no. I have insurance on my vehicles that fix them for free or replace the windshield.
Lots of cracks in the windshield of all 5 of my rigs ....and their going to stay cracked to !
Tried it myself just for fun. No vacuum, the chip started a crack, Crack wouldn't stop until I Dremmeled out the stress riser with a diamond burr.
They sell chip repair kits at the auto supply stores, and they work.
Originally Posted by montanabadger
They sell chip repair kits at the auto supply stores, and they work.

Maybe. Why pay twice if insurance covers it. $20 ain't much even if it doesn't- and you don't have to mess with it. I may not remember correctly, but it seems I recall the repair kit was about half the cost of having it done professionally.

To me, false economy, unless circumstances dictate otherwise.
I had a professional do a chip and then about a week later, got one right next to it. Fixed it with this

https://www.amazon.com/Manelord-Win...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

And my repair job looked better than the professional. Both were pretty small, about dime sized, maybe smaller.

This was 2 years ago, both still fine.
© 24hourcampfire