Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ve got a very tiny chip in my windshield. I’ve had chips repaired before but figured why can’t I just drizzle some superglue on myself and wipe off the excess with Acetone and a razor blade.

Or is there some special tool required to force the glue into the crack more? Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've done a few times and so far it's worked. I believe Rainx makes a product similar to what the pros use to fill the chip. Looks like a viable option too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Just save yourself the grief and get a shop to do it, here it costs twenty dollars for them to drill it and apply under vacuum.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that superglue (cyanacrilate sp?) only hardens in the absence of air. If so, this fact, combined with a need to force it more deeply into cracks, could, considering its short hardening time, result in an amateur attempt to do what you propose becoming a great source of amusement for onlookers.

I think there are people with the tools, experience and knowledge to fix small cracks and chips in windshields. Not that I haven’t set out on a few I’ll-advised diy journeys myself.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most insurance companies cover rock chips with no co pay to you? Safelite will come to your door or place of business and repair without having to go to shop.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
Most insurance companies cover rock chips with no co pay to you? Safelite will come to your door or place of business and repair without having to go to shop.

Wife used this approach on her Yukon a few years ago. The Safelite guy said "oh my, thats the biggest 'chip' I've ever seen, but I'll see what I can do". You could still see it after he was done, but only if you were looking for it. It was in the same condition 3 years later when we traded it off. Paid nothing out of pocket for it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

This, had it done many times with no problems after.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Get a pro, with the right tools.
W/0 the vacuum, it won't penetrate.
Then a pro won't be able to do a good job later.

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 08/28/19.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have super glued some, had others done by a shop. The shop has a good vacuum so the glue penetrates, even the DIY kits with a suction cup dont do that as well. I could see some of the larger ones as the refraction changes. Do it soon, water, dirt, and stress will negate the effect.
Right now my truck has a crack clear across the top. Since I understand the law allows them if not in the wiper path I bought shorter wipers. You do lose some strength with a crack, but there are so many rocks on roads I ignore it. Liability insurance only so it is my dime, but a Ford pickup is one of the cheapest windshields going

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dennis81082

This, had it done many times with no problems after.

And another vote here.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I had a 1.5 to 2 inch crack repaired on my last truck and you could not tell it had ever been cracked after the repair.
Went thru my insurance cost me nothing.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
no. I have insurance on my vehicles that fix them for free or replace the windshield.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of cracks in the windshield of all 5 of my rigs ....and their going to stay cracked to !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tried it myself just for fun. No vacuum, the chip started a crack, Crack wouldn't stop until I Dremmeled out the stress riser with a diamond burr.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They sell chip repair kits at the auto supply stores, and they work.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by montanabadger
They sell chip repair kits at the auto supply stores, and they work.

Maybe. Why pay twice if insurance covers it. $20 ain't much even if it doesn't- and you don't have to mess with it. I may not remember correctly, but it seems I recall the repair kit was about half the cost of having it done professionally.

To me, false economy, unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

Last edited by las; 08/28/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a professional do a chip and then about a week later, got one right next to it. Fixed it with this

https://www.amazon.com/Manelord-Win...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

And my repair job looked better than the professional. Both were pretty small, about dime sized, maybe smaller.

This was 2 years ago, both still fine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.