Home
How many of you smoke or did at one time? I can honestly say I’ve never had one in my mouth.

How many of you dip or chew

There were 10 guys on the first lease I was on, all but me were smokers. There is ten on the lease I’m on now, no smokers at all. There is 12 plumbers where I work, none of them smoke, 30 years ago it was all but two of us. I think the smoking percentage has gone down.
In 1984 when I started work as a firefighter we used to clean ashtrays as housework. Smoke anyplace. Now it’s forbidden on the premises and newer employees are forbidden from using all tobacco products while employed. Smoke the occasional cigar.
I quit over 30 years ago.
I smoked for about ten years. Quit in 1977. Haven't missed it at all.

L.W.
Ex...been 30 years or so
I quit cigarettes in about 1993 and the only cigar I smoked after that was a good Cuban as we were leaving the Middle East on my last deployment in 1997. No dip or cud. Happy Trails
been about 24 yrs since i quit a 2-3 pack a day habit. do smoke a cigar once in a while.
I chew.
My father was a smoker. Burned counter tops, dirty ashtrays, butts in the car. Based on that, I never ever had the urge or inclination. If someone smokes in their home or car that's their business.
I quit almost 30 years ago. I smoked 3 packs of Camel straights a day, more when I was drinking. I don't do either anymore.
Started smoking in high school. Quit about 30 years ago. No issues to date. Never was really addicted. Just put down a pack, never went back.
dipped Copenhagen from 13 till my twenty's also.
I quit 30 years ago . Was a heavy smoker starting at age 15, smoked from 1955 till 1989. Knock on wood, no cancer yet.

When I was in high school, you had to smoke to be "cool", so I did. Wish someone would have kicked my ass every time I lit up so I wouldn't do it any more. I see some kid walking down the street now puffing away, makes me want to go poke him in the nose for being stupid.
Originally Posted by Dess
My father was a smoker. Burned counter tops, dirty ashtrays, butts in the car. Based on that, I never ever had the urge or inclination. If someone smokes in their home or car that's their business.

+1 My dad smoked from his early teens until 40 and quit cold turkey. Cigars were the only tobacco product he touched and he had pretty good taste as far as that goes.
Smoked for about 20 years and quit about 25 years ago. My three brothers also smoked. Two quit like me the other didn’t and died from bladder cancer. By the way that’s the most common cancer from cigarettes. Every once in a while I still get a short burst of wanting one. Ed k
Originally Posted by jnyork
I quit 30 years ago . Was a heavy smoker starting at age 15, smoked from 1955 till 1989. Knock on wood, no cancer yet.

When I was in high school, you had to smoke to be "cool", so I did. Wish someone would have kicked my ass every time I lit up so I wouldn't do it any more. I see some kid walking down the street now puffing away, makes me want to go poke him in the nose for being stupid.

Now you have teenage kids vaping who never smoked a cigarette.
I quit a 2 pack a day habit on December 8, 2013.
Quit about 35 years ago althoughI never smoked even a pack a day.
Wife's sister and the BIL have smoked all their lives and now one has throat cancer and the other has tounge cancer.
I smoke a pack every 2 or 3 days. I took Chantix about 6 years ago and it actually worked. Was able to stay off for a little over a year but I was always irritable and sleep quality was awful. Here I am again. I don't drink alcohol but really enjoy tobacco with my coffee in the mornings especially. Terrible habit.
I quit in 2002 after thirty years of smoking off and on. Mostly on. Can't imagine smoking again and haven't had any desire to smoke since shortly after quitting. If I drank like I did at twenty-five and smoked like I did at forty-five I wouldn't be here at sixty-five.
Quit smoking for good over 6 years ago.
Ex, 14 years ago.
1969 - stopped cold turkey, never touched another tobacco product.
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
I smoke a pack every 2 or 3 days. I took Chantix about 6 years ago and it actually worked. Was able to stay off for a little over a year but I was always irritable and sleep quality was awful. Here I am again. I don't drink alcohol but really enjoy tobacco with my coffee in the mornings especially. Terrible habit.

I know someone that went on that stuff and her husband found her freaked out in the MBR closet. She had to get off it.
Coffee and a chew first thing in the morning...best laxative on the planet.
Quit smoking 2017 after 46 years. Was diagnosed with lung cancer in June, lobectomy in July, not fun at all! I am now in remission, to bad it almost always comes back somewhere.
I quit 3 years ago after smoking for 38 years.
Never smoked, but both parents did. Dad was a pack a day smoker, mom would get 2-3 days out of a pack. Dad started in 1942 when he went in the Army. Mom didn't smoke until she married dad in 1952. They both quit cold turkey in 1984, but the damage was already done and they ended up paying for it late in life. They both beat other forms of cancer, neither had lung cancer. But both suffered from respiratory problems and were on O2 24 hours a day during their last years.

Their DR explained to me that young healthy adults rarely use more than 1/2 their lung capacity. You can damage up to 1/2 the lungs and not see any decline when young. But as you age you naturally lose lung capacity. Combine that natural loss with the damage done by smoking when young and you'll struggle to breathe as you age. And it is worse for women since their lungs are smaller to begin with.
Never smoked tobacco but did on occasion smoke some weed back in the 60's and 70's.
Smoke a pack a day.
Tear off about 1/3 rd inch of each one cause I used ta smoke Marlboro 72,s .

Lot of times I power drag 5 or 6 inhales and flick it away.

Probably smoke 12 to 15 actual king size a day

I drink one cup of coffee a day
Strong instant folgers 3 heaping teaspoons instant, heaping teaspoon creamer ,heaping teaspoon sugar ( old army habit from all over the planet)

Gave up drinking Oct 98.

Drank 2 beers with my FIL when my MIL died jan 08 at a dinner we had in her memory after the service.

You all think I'm a dick stone cold sober here on 24hr at times.
You all shoulda met me on a Friday or Saturday night with a 12 pack of Bud and half a bottle of mezcal in my gut.
I put the word funk into " functional weekend alcoholic".
Smoked for 35 years. Also chew and dip. Now all I use for the last 8 years is Swedish snus. Love it. Ingredients are listed because it is a food product over there. Roasted tobacco, nicotine, natural flavoring and salt. No gum or teeth problems. No spit. Many flavors. Many levels of nicotine from 8 grams to 24 grams. Believe me the 12 gram pouches will make your head pound. I use 2 flavors, 8 grams nicotine.

[Linked Image]
Smoking was almost mandatory when I was growing up.

I quit Jan 1 2020.
I quit a 35-year 2 pack a day habit cold turkey in my early 50's, 20-something years ago when I had my first heart attack- - - -had another one a year later. My wife is killing herself with cigarettes now, and can't (won't) quit. She struggles for every breath (emphysema) and absolutely refuses to give them up.
Jerry
I smoked from age 17 - 23. About a pack a day. At 23 I got a rough case of bronchitis. I couldn't smoke for about 3 weeks. I finally was well enough to have a smoke. I never tasted anything that bad in my life. I never smoked another cigarette. I did take up a cigar once in a while for the next 20 years but I gave that up as well. That bronchitis was a gift for sure.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Coffee and a chew first thing in the morning...best laxative on the planet.

Thats no joke.

Now that I quit it takes two cups.

I started using tobacco pretty seriously around 9 or 10.

What ever I could get my hands on.

Quit a year and a half ago.....for the second time.

Ex.
Started in 1970 while in Infantry OCS and quit in 1980. Chewed cigars till I retired in 96. I chew now, particularly when hunting or fishing.
Quit April 25th 2004. Smoked for 19 years before that.
By the grace of God, I quit in 1989. Never once had a craving. Done, nadda, quit for good.
Quit snuff and chew back in '01. Started around 14 years old. Was about 28 when I quit.

Figure I'll start back when I'm 75 (I'm 46 now). Then I should be too old for the cancer to kill me.

Course, by then tobacco will be illegal and you'll be able to buy heroin out of a vending machine........
Nope.
Dad got started smoking from cigarettes in C-Rats during WW2. Up to 3 packs a day throughout most of the 88 years he had. I often said he should sue Uncle Sam for starting him. laugh
Since he was my hero, I started at about 17. Got to a pack a day in the Army, and I quit for 6 months. Stress got to me and I started again.
I quit for a year or so later on. Both brothers smoke, and watching Dad decline in the hospice, I started again.
I still smoke some, but not a lot. I'll go for days without. Unless I'm into the beer with friends, a pack last me 3 or 4 days. Wifey tells me I should quit again, but we'll see. If I'm working outside or hunting, I don't see the harm.
7mm
Stopped smoking 15 years ago come Halloween...…. I can breathe now... Wife's a different story. Claws and fangs retract as she lights up and drinks her coffee. Snarl takes a little longer to go away.
I smoked for the first 17 years of life......secondhand.
Dad, 1-2 packs a day. Mom, 2-4+. She had 3 ashtrays in the kitchen. Sometimes had 3 going at once.
The laundry room had burn tracks on every horizontal surface. I told her several times that she was going to burn the house down.
In '12, she did.
She and my Stepdad got out but the house was history. FD was 25 miles away and by the time they got there the ammo in the house
started cooking off so they couldn't go near it.
She died from a heart attack in '14.
I despise cigarettes more than I can articulate.
I smoked my first one at age 6. One of the other kids stole a pack from mommy's purse and five of us hiding in a shed lit up. The year was 1944. I'd sneak butts from their ashtrays, salvage the tobacco and smoke it in a home made pipe based on a drilled out 2x2 and a piece of brass pipe for the stem. By the time I was eleven I found a store that believed me when I said I was buying them for my mom. By 13 I actually had my parents permission to smoke. They felt I was gonna do it anyway and better not behind their back. At that time I was going to a Catholic school and one afternoon I was waiting for a streetcar with my two buds and we were all enjoying a smoke. Well, up comes sister to catch a street car to get to the convent. She asked if out parents knew we smoked and of course we all said yes. Come to think of it this was one a Friday as on Monday when class started sister addresses the class on how she ran int PB, RA, and JA smooooking with the "O" part long and drawn out. She then went on on how she asked us if out parents knew that we smoked. Her next words were, "Two of the gentlemen were lying. JA and RA go to the boys bathroom. Dunno what she did and they weren't talking but the howl coming from the boys can were just a bit chilling. I tried to quit a few times but it just didn't work. One day a group of Seventh Day Adventists came to town with a quit smoking class and my wife who hated the smell and the fact that I was coughing and hacking all the time got me to go. Consider this, I was averaging two to three packs a day, three or four pipe fulls and a cigar or two. That's every damn day. When that three day class was over, I hadn't smoked for three whole days and it was about three month later I bummed a smoke of a friend, took a drag, inhaled and threw it away. To me, that cigaret was making me slightly stoned. I have no other way to put it. So after 31 years of being a walking chimney I was smoke free. One of my hunting buddies back them was a strict mormon and had never smoked. I always had great difficult keeping up with him up in the hills. The hunting season back in 1975 surprised the hell out of him as he had trouble keeping up with me and his legs are a lot longer than mine.
If I'd only known back then what I know now, I promise you I'd have never taken that first drag.
Paul B.
After 40 years at a pack a day, I quit cold turkey. That was 7 years ago.
My dad was a cigarette salesman for most of his working life (Lorillard). We grew up with tobacco products all over the house and we even used to help him out with the promotions, like putting stickers on zippo lighters as buy one pack, get a free lighter type of thing. We smoked a bit as kids but never got hooked. That changed when I went into the military (1980s) and everyone smoked. I smoked for about 20 years, then quit when I turned 40 (well over 10 years ago) and haven't touched anything that you can smoke since. I used to miss it a LOT, to the point that I'd walk behind people smoking just to get second hand smoke, but in the last few years I have stopped craving cigarettes and now don't like the smell.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I quit 3 years ago after smoking for 38 years.

Good for you.... Not a damned single positive about smoking. 14 years later I seldom want one...
I smoked from about 14 , for about 20 years, cigs, pipe, cigars, and a chew now and then.
Quit cold in Jan, 1981 and never looked back.
Qiuting was the best thing I've ever done!
Neither smoke or chew.

I was an exception working offshore. Most do one or both.

Plus how many welders you know that don’t do tobacco?

I tried to dip once. Buddy gave me some peach or cherry skoal. That chit had me walking sideways. Puked.

Couple years later me and buddies were drinking beer piddling around. One was spitting into a bottle. Yup. You guessed it. I grabbed it by mistake and took a good pull off it. To this day smelling tobacco spit rumbles my tummy.
I started at 11 done 34 years best thing I ever did was to quit . I try to tell my 36 year old daughter to quit . her mom died at 49 of lung cancer 10 years ago . I don't mind raison my grandkids but I don't want too
No longer. Did for 24 + years. Started at 10 when older bro and cousin wanted to have a smoke, made me and younger bro have one so we couldn't tell on them as we'd be guilty also.

By HS I was up to/over a pack a day. First chew was a bite off a bar of Day's Work or Brown's Mule, while helping a friend's dad fix an antenna on a roof. That was fun!. Smoked at the top of Mt Rainier at 20 years old, thought the guys I went up there with were a-holes for not letting me have one in the igloo we built to shelter from the blizzard that was going on one night. Made me go out in a full blown white out. (I stayed real close to the entrance to that igloo on a white glacier during a white out)

By 21, well over a pack a day, plus chewing (leaf or plug, none of that stuff in a can). Also smoked cigars at times, pipe on occasion, and real snuff, the kind you snort up your nose off the back of the web of your hand like in the 1700's.

Drank a bunch too. Was so bad I was one of those guys you see with a grit in the corner of his mouth and smoke the whole thing without using his hands once. So bad, I'd go to sleep and leave a half a ciggie in the ashtray next to the bed along with a half can of beer and I'd have to light up and finish the beer if I got up to micturate (look it up, crossword clue this morning while in the john doing my business)

Gave the smokes up a year and half after giving up the beer. Did the smoking help to cause the tumor I had removed from my kidney a few years back? Who knows, maybe it was the gas or diesel I used to wash car/backhoe parts, or the chemicals I worked with at times, the formalin from biology class. All I know is I can breath pretty good for a Medicare constituent as of tomorrow.

On occasion, in traffic and such, when I smell someone smoking I get an urge for one..............................for a minute.

Still absolutely love the smell of tobacco that's not burning.

Scheidt is so addictive to most people, some studies say a very high percentage of those that try even one cigarette. Worse than opiates they say.

That nicotine makes for a pretty good bug spray though.

Geno

PS, my secret so far for not starting back up................I don't smoke the first one, don't bum one from a friend, didn't smoke the ones I found in the glove box a week or two after quitting, or the ones I had stashed in the dress shirt pockets in the closet. I hated to run out. No matter how bad, even 30+ years later, I don't smoke one even when everyone else around is.
Originally Posted by hanco
How many of you smoke or did at one time? I can honestly say I’ve never had one in my mouth.

How many of you dip or chew

There were 10 guys on the first lease I was on, all but me were smokers. There is ten on the lease I’m on now, no smokers at all. There is 12 plumbers where I work, none of them smoke, 30 years ago it was all but two of us. I think the smoking percentage has gone down.

Taxes are an awesome tool.

Ex-smoker here. 2-3 packs.

At near $40 for the average packet people can't afford to smoke in Australia.
Smoked from 15 to 52. Pack and a half a day. Heart attack at 52. On seven IV's and they thought I aspirated something so they cleaned my lungs out. Was on a ventilator for the first twenty four hours. Went to the ER about 9 on a Friday night. Next thing I remember it was Tuesday at 10. Ended up with one stent on the widowmaker. Had no desire to smoke when I got out. That was 17 years ago. Mom and Dad both smoked. Mom until she was about 74 and had lung cancer. Part of a lung removed, but she lived to 85. Passed away with COPD. Dad smoked a few more years, but he lived to 89.
Never smoked. Watched it torture my dad and kill him at age 66. So easy for me to not use tobacco.
Only ever smoked blunts
Has to be grape. White owl
I smoked for over 20 years, limiting myself to a pack a day. I always said that since I grew tobacco, I was going to use it. Quit in 1996. Cold turkey, laid them down and never picked them back up. Easy to do, at least for me.

Never chewed or dipped. Have smoked only a handful of cigars. Tried a pipe a few times, but didn't care for it.

Can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke now, and can smell a smoker a mile away. Makes me think that's how bad I used to smell...lol.
Former smoker. It was easy to quit when I decided to do so. Also used skoal for years. Would still be using it but dental hygienist informed me I had a pre-cancerous place in my mouth. I emptied my can in the storm drain, threw the can in the garbage and never picked another up. That was 20 years ago.
This will make a good first post for me as its something Im proud of.

Not sure how long since I actually smoked, but today is 576 days since I vaped. I used vaping to quit the hanit, but truthfully I found myself more addicted to nicotine that way then cigs..

I finally called it quits as I was struggling to make it thru a 3-4hr sit in a stand without my vape device... when it started taking over hunting, it was time for it to go.

I couldnt drink beer or coffee for a bit while I was “quitting” but neither trigger it now. I rarely get the urge, but when I do I just giggle about it, reminding myself thats why I quit... and everytime I buy a gun I say Im allowed as its money I saved from that habit, though I dont track it ha!
Quit a 2 pack a day habit in August 1977 and never had another puff. Did chew and dip since I was a youngster and finally quit both in the late 1980's. It was more difficult to stop dipping than smoking.
Smoked alot in the navy--really cheap price for sea cigs aboard ship---wife got me to quit (cold turkey) with her the first time but I told her if she started again,I'd start too and I wouldn't quit again.Of course she started (caught her sneakin at her moms house) so I started as well----and then she gets on the band wagon to stop again.I kept going for about 6 months---in front of her---just to rub it in and then went cold turkey again--- been a good boy for 20 years now
Never smoked cigarettes.
I started smoking in the army. For the most part I limited myself to 10/day and quit cold turkey 7 years ago. My last physical my p02 was 98%. The doc says it is never too late to quit.

mike r
Hanco: As the son of a mother and father who were dedicated smokers I have never touched one of the damned things!
Father started smoking at age six (this was not unusual back in rural America in the 1920's) and continued to smoke heavily until he quit 10 years before his death, at age 86 - lost half a lung late in life!
Mother smoked from age 20 to age 55 then quit cold turkey - damage done though. She had to have open heart surgery at age 77 to remove and replace the "smokers valve" in her heart.
She lived another 16 years with the artificial heart valve.
Only thing the liberal twit Yul Brenner ever got right - "don't smoke"! "Just don't smoke"!
This from his T.V. commercial just before he died of lung cancer.
I would rather spend my money on guns and bullets than cigarettes and Doctor bills!
I think ALL tobacco fields should be turned into apple orchards!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Smoked on and off for a number of years, never heavy...Gave them up about 17 years ago during lent and never looked back. I actually like the smell of a good cigar but do not indulge.
I love smoking and i honestly think i am never gonna stop smoking, But i have a very healthy system that works for me, i go without smoking for days and weeks. i smoke whenever i feel down and stressed. i roll my own stuff and smoke that jay. i find it really healthy for my mind. it help me relax and eat better.
© 24hourcampfire