Home
Posted By: gunchamp Bourbon question - 09/08/19
So Evan Williams single barrel seems to have gone mia. Its not longer available here and hasnt been for well over a year. It was my cheaper go to when wanting something decent in that price range. I do enjoy eagle rare, but its a tad sweet for my liking at times. Anything out there that I'm missing thats comparable to Williams single barrel? I feel that Ive tried most, but havnt found a good replacement
Posted By: WAM Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I’m not a bourbon snob and recognize all our taste buds are unique, but I have a few favorites to recommend. George Dickel No. 12 at 90 proof or No. 8 at 80 proof, Pendleton (Canadian blended) , or Woodford. If you hanker for some high octane stuff: Knob Creek 100 proof. None of those break the bank. I had some EW single barrel a few years ago and don’t recall why I never bought again? Happy Trails
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I would say the cheapest Ten High or perhaps some of that Savon in the plastic bottle would be comparable to anything Evan Williams. Rebecca Creek is maybe the best for the money.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Turkey 101 is surprising good budget bourbon
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
So I gotta ask, and I'm not being my usual smartass self.

For you guys that are shopping for these different priced bourbons and are picking it apart down to a gnats ass, are you hoping to save a little on each bottle of bourbon and at the end of the year go on a cruise with the wifey on the savings or what? Do you seriously drink so much that you have to buy budget booze? Why not buy the booze you like the most and drink occasionally or in moderation, and really enjoy good spirits? To me it'd be like drinking cheap beer in a can by the half case rather than 1 or 2 craft beers that are really good.

I guess I equate budget booze shopping with alcoholism. Maybe I'm way off base.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2

For you guys that are shopping for these different priced bourbons and are picking it apart down to a gnats ass, are you hoping to save a little on each bottle of bourbon and at the end of the year go on a cruise with the wifey on the savings or what? Do you seriously drink so much that you have to buy budget booze? Why not buy the booze you like the most and drink occasionally or in moderation, and really enjoy good spirits? To me it'd be like drinking cheap beer in a can by the half case rather than 1 or 2 craft beers that are really good.

^^^^
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19

I'm one of the cheapest bastards around, but this is what I do. If I don't like it, I don't drink it, so cheap booze gets passed off to my neighbor, which raises the overall cost when I buy what I should have bought in the first place.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19

Your off base, I been to some "blind" bourbon taste events before and seen time after time cheap liquor beat high end stuff a bunch of times. That's not to say some high end stuff is not worth the money. But it pays to experiment and is fun in the process. This is how I discovered George Dickel 12, $21 a bottle.
Posted By: hanco Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I like Jack Daniel’s and water with a touch of lemon squeezed into it.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Your off base, I been to some "blind" bourbon taste events before and seen time after time cheap liquor beat high end stuff a bunch of times. That's not to say some high end stuff is not worth the money. But it pays to experiment and is fun in the process. This is how I discovered George Dickel 12, $21 a bottle.

That makes sense. We are in agreement about drinking what you like tho. I guess I don't know enough about booze and pricing to know how it all works.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I've been drinking Jesse James

Good for the money
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Rebecca Creek is maybe the best for the money.

Maybe it's just me but Rebecca Creek tastes like dirty socks.
Knob Creek on the other hand is what I really like.
Posted By: natman Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I don't know about PA, but Evan Williams Single Barrel is available here in CA.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/b...barrel/p/5571750?s=1125&igrules=true

There are several quite drinkable bourbons in the $20 - 25 range, Maker's Mark, Bulleit, Elijah Craig, etc.

If you want a recommendation for a really good bourbon that's more expensive but worth every penny, try Angel's Envy.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Have you tried Evan white label (bonded)?
Posted By: RicG Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I like trying new Bourbons just for S&G. Currently, Angels Envy, Elijah Craig and Eagle Rare seem to be working just fine.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
+1 on the E. Craig. Also, if you’re not afraid to go cheap, pick up a bottle of Benchmark to try. You may like it, I did.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
E Craig and Pendleton, in the big bottles from Costco are pretty price efficient. I bought some Kirkland Canadian, and not convinced it's going to be more than an an occasional choice.
Posted By: Full3r Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I try to sample as much different bourbon as I can. I have been on a “Larceny” kick here lately. Low $20s for a bottle and it seems it what get drank on when all the friends come over
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Several good ones have been mentioned but one not is Four Roses single barrel. Very good for the money.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Yes it is.

So is Old Granddad Bonded....if a bit on the sweet side.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Not a fan of Knob Creek but that Wild Turkey 101 can hang with the best of them.
I would not go to town and ask the liquor agent for Rebecca's Knob Bourbon....

Jack Daniel's if you please.
Posted By: sse Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by K1500

tried their cheap and expensive, didn't like either one, I'd be interested in a bonded version
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I'd like to line up 5 bourbons and ask everyone to tell me how much they cost. No one could get close.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by WAM
I’m not a bourbon snob and recognize all our taste buds are unique, but I have a few favorites to recommend. George Dickel No. 12 at 90 proof or No. 8 at 80 proof, Pendleton (Canadian blended) , or Woodford. If you hanker for some high octane stuff: Knob Creek 100 proof. None of those break the bank. I had some EW single barrel a few years ago and don’t recall why I never bought again? Happy Trails

Of Knob 80, 100, and 120 the 100 to me is nearly undrinkable. The 120 is outstanding and the 80 is okay...

The 100 is often available for less than the 80...
Cant believe so many men prefer the Dickel and Knob here.....
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19

Some funny stuff was watching some snobs guzzling R&R at a tasting event and proclaiming it best!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I would say the cheapest Ten High or perhaps some of that Savon in the plastic bottle would be comparable to anything Evan Williams. Rebecca Creek is maybe the best for the money.

RC seems too sweet here. I always liked EW black or green label.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I'm a fan of Buffalo Trace.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Pricey, but the best bourbon I've ever had is Garrison Bros. I went to high school with these fellas.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
The reason Rebecca Creek tastes off to Bourbon drinkers is because it isn't a Bourbon.
Originally Posted by Journeyman
The reason Rebecca Creek tastes off to Bourbon drinkers is because it isn't a Bourbon.

True enough. I shouldn't have recommended it on a Bourbon thread.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
For a nice surprise and not break the bank, try Clyde May's bourbon out of Alabama.

My fire suit is on. smile

I've drank a lot of upscale American whiskeys. There weren't very many until a few years ago. I haven't drank many that tasted as good as a lot of...standard whiskey. Even if I'd won the Powerball a few years back, I'd likely be drinking the same stuff-not because I'm cheap, but because I'm not paying more for something that doesn't taste as good as stuff I can get for less. I'm also not paying a lot more for stuff that isn't MUCH better than what I can get for a lot less. For the money, I've never drank anything that could beat standard Wild Turkey. For a long time, Sam's had it for IIRC, around $32 for 375 ml. I think it has went up, making Bulleit a bit more attractive, since to my tastes, it is a bit better. Henry McKenna and Dickel's is nearly in the same league. All are drinkable.

For the true alcoholic, Old Crow is hard to beat. Cheap and doesn't taste bad.

Btw, when you get recommendations from me, I'm talking straight up shots, not stuff watered down with coke or "branch water" or some corruption.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]

You gonna open those sonsabitches or whistle dixie? grin
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]

I am a little upset.

Charlie got me hooked on WT.....Nary a bottle in that lineup!

LOL.....truth is.....I got those last Christmas. The Bulleit's half full and the rest are still unopened. (stomach issue).

To make matters worse....since I'd never had it before I still don't know what Makers Mark tastes like.

Stomach's on the mend now but I just haven't been in the mood.....maybe that'll change when the cold weather sets in.
Posted By: lastround Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Hey EE,
That Wild Turkey 101 you mentioned is $21 here locally for what I used to call “a fifth”. Like you, I find it hard to beat, at least to my taste. My next choice if the store is out of Turkey is Henry McKenna, which around here sells for $15.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I am a little upset.

Charlie got me hooked on WT.....Nary a bottle in that lineup!

They were gifts Jim.....you know there'd be some 101 in the group if I would have bought em.
Posted By: ME109 Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Google 'Bourbon tree' and you will see Henry McKenna as close to Evan Williams as any other. Same distillery and same mashbill.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19

Exactly!!

Exactly!!

Yes, its not my first choice, but is drinkable
I'd like to line up 5 bourbons and ask everyone to tell me how much they cost. No one could get close.

agreed

Its generally what I drink, but williams single has such a pleasant flavor. It sucks it went away here.
Thanks for the choices guys. A couple i havent tried yet. Despise Elijah Craig. Everyones tastes are different I guess
Posted By: 1sgLunde Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Best Bang For the Buck--Old Forester 86 proof, Hands down.
V
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I haven’t acquired a taste for real heavy bourbons yet so I’m just thrilled with Buffalo Trace myself. I find it very enjoyable.
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I haven’t acquired a taste for real heavy bourbons yet so I’m just thrilled with Buffalo Trace myself. I find it very enjoyable.

Whats a "real heavy bourbon"?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
I live in Bourbon country. It was invented here. But I don't drink it.

The smoothest brown corn based liquor I've ever drank is Royal Canadian Mist blended whiskey.

It's smooth enough to cause you to make a damn fool of yourself if you don't watchit.
A case of Canadian Mist is a safe wedding gift for the reception.

The snobs will either go home or drink it and have fun.
All in all,...I think sticking good corn liquor in a charred oak barrel and forgetting about it for 8 years will ruin it.

The best corn liquor I've ever had was some old school, no sugar added, moonshine that probably hit about 120 proof. It was oily and you could really taste the corn in it.

It was made like they used to make it back before processed sugar was widely available.

Corn was used to make liquor back in the old days because it had a high sugar content. That's what started the whole "corn liquor" thing.

Very few people today have tasted moonshine that hasn't been sparked with processed sugar.

The old style stuff is very good. But it's expensive to make and it's labor intensive. I used to know an old boy who would make up a few gallons of "old style" whiskey for the holiday season every year. He passed around a little of it to friends.

It's very different than what most people think of as moonshine.

Back in the day,..the old time moonshiners derisively referred to the new type of moonshine as "sugar whisker" after processed sugar became available.

If you buy moonshine today,...it's going to be sugar whiskey.
After processed sugar became available?

Like 500 years ago?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
After processed sugar became available?

Like 500 years ago?

It's been around a long time,...but it was a luxury item in 17th century America,...and many other places.

Making whiskey out of sugar was cost prohibitive for a long time.
Ever read the book Angela's Ashes?

Its from this century.

"Go easy on the sugar! We're not millionaires!"
Processed sugar was rationed as recently as WW2 in America.

My mom told me about how her uncle bought a 5lb bag on the black market and hid it in his closet. She was threatened with an ass whuppin' if she told anybody about it.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19

Spot on
Sugar is a crazy, crazy commodity.

I suppose the varieties of corn used have changed too.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19

Before breaking out of deepest, darkest Appalachia, I considered Wild Turkey to be high-end schitt. Nowadays if I can't decide on a bourbon, I almost always default to WT.

Nope, not off base at all. All the drunks I know buy crap to feed their addiction and turn their nose up at quality.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
All in all,...I think sticking good corn liquor in a charred oak barrel and forgetting about it for 8 years will ruin it.

The best corn liquor I've ever had was some old school, no sugar added, moonshine that probably hit about 120 proof. It was oily and you could really taste the corn in it.

It was made like they used to make it back before processed sugar was widely available.

Corn was used to make liquor back in the old days because it had a high sugar content. That's what started the whole "corn liquor" thing.

Very few people today have tasted moonshine that hasn't been sparked with processed sugar.

The old style stuff is very good. But it's expensive to make and it's labor intensive. I used to know an old boy who would make up a few gallons of "old style" whiskey for the holiday season every year. He passed around a little of it to friends.

It's very different than what most people think of as moonshine.

Back in the day,..the old time moonshiners derisively referred to the new type of moonshine as "sugar whisker" after processed sugar became available.

If you buy moonshine today,...it's going to be sugar whiskey.

A friend of mine is Pennsylvania Dutch and speaks of pure corn whiskey, especially the "corn" taste that's masked in commercial whiskey and white liquor sold as "moonshine". I would like to know more about this old-school method since I plan on getting one of these:

[Linked Image]

Vengeance Stills.Com
Posted By: poboy Re: Bourbon question - 09/08/19
Guess I'm the only one that ever drank Weller&Weller.
Posted By: scratcherky Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Makers Mark gets my vote and taste buds working!
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Might as well toss out my favorite to sip neat, Russels Reserve, about $32 a bottle.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19

Your schitten me, blind bourbon testing! WTF. The only way that works is after the party! I say that as an x tester of wide eye'd testing! I haven't consumed any liquor for some time!! But blind testing sounds a little Napa valley, wino stuff to this old boy! Just saying not stirring!
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Huh, there's a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel hiding in my liquor cupboard. It's mine and you can't have it.

Meanwhile, have you tried Jim Beam Black? (pretty cheap)

Or one of my current favorites, Old Forester 1870? (not so cheap, but very good)
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
https://distiller.com/spirits/ezra-brooks-90-proof-bourbon

Good basic bourbon at 90 proof and $22 a 1/2 gallon.

Try it before you piss on it... just saying.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Virginia has a pitiful selection of Ryes. I like Rye whisky.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
If cash is short(or even if it isn't), there's a lot to be said for good old Jim Beam.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Henry McKenna Single Barrel isn't bad for the money.

Anything Weller is good, but scarce around here.
Posted By: shootem Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Ezra ain't bad for my $$$$. Or anybody's according to my non snotty taste buds. And as far as Evan Williams goes, 1783 ain't far enough away from Single Barrel for me to tell. Only difference between "Good Whiskey" and Evan Williams to many is about $50 a bottle. Blind testing could be very embarrassing for some.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by MikeL2

Or one of my current favorites, Old Forester 1870? (not so cheap, but very good)

Never had their 1870 but their 1807 bottled in bond is pretty nice.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by shootem
Ezra ain't bad for my $$$$. Or anybody's according to my non snotty taste buds. And as far as Evan Williams goes, 1783 ain't far enough away from Single Barrel for me to tell. Only difference between "Good Whiskey" and Evan Williams to many is about $50 a bottle. Blind testing could be very embarrassing for some.

Couldnt agree more. I'm one of the lucky ones who can afford whatever I choose. I've drank $300-500 a bottle scotch. Was than impressed ith some of these high dollar spirits. I have found some cheaper bourbons to have a much better taste than the much more expensive stuff, EW single being one of them. Eagle rare as well.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Huh, there's a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel hiding in my liquor cupboard. It's mine and you can't have it.

Meanwhile, have you tried Jim Beam Black? (pretty cheap)

Haha, sure you dont want o part ways? Have tried beam black but not old forester. Will give it a go
Posted By: LouisB Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Bought a bottle of Evan Williams last week in Franklin, TN so it must be available or was anyway.
Posted By: WAM Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Ezra Brooks! That's a blast from the past 50 years ago. We used to drink that crap because we couldn't afford Jim Beam or Jack Daniels, etc.

I'm more partial top the better Canadian whisky's these days.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Henry McKenna Single Barrel isn't bad for the money.

Henry McKenna Single Barrel was named ‘Best in Show Whiskey’ at 2019 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

Good stuff.

Henry McKenna
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
I started drinking a little bourbon and Whiskey last spring. I drink them straight or neat in a snifter glass. So far I would say that Evan Williams Black is pretty hard to beat for the price.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Nice!
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
I don't drink much at this point in my life, but on the rare occasion I do, it's Jack Daniels. Pretty much that or nothing. I just like the taste and it goes down smooth. I'd be lost in a conversation about what makes a good bourbon.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by poboy
Guess I'm the only one that ever drank Weller&Weller.
Weller's is okay. It is seldom mentioned on the fire. Some drink the Rebel Yell version of it.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by CashisKing
The best Rye I've ever had is High West Rendezvous Rye. It is pricey, but it is good.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19

this
Posted By: mathman Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14112482

The one in the middle demands care in sipping. grin
Posted By: scoony Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
I am still seeing the Evan Williams single barrel everywhere. What I am not seeing is the Green Label Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond that was in the regular bottle. Only way you can get it now is in an over priced fancy decanter and it is hard to come by. Evan Williams 12 year in the red label is one to look for, but it is not cheap.

For those that like Eagle Rare, it is the same exact bourbon as Buffalo Trace, just aged different. I prefer Buffalo Trace and it is priced below $25, but keep bottle of both on hand.

For cheap, the Green Label Heaven Hill is surprisingly good (something about those green labels). Not sure if you can get that outside of Kentucky, but if you can, it is worth a try.

I am right here dab smack in the middle of bourbon country. Last year I was getting up early to get in line for the releases and got some good stuff. Weller 12 is good, but almost not 0500 am getting in line good. What getting up that early gets you is a $38 bottle of bourbon that can sell over $150 on the secondary market. This year, I chose to sleep in on those release days. Haven't had any luck with the Pappy Van Winkle lotteries yet.
Posted By: scoony Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19

I tend to like Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye. Need to find a bottle of their barrel strength.

Thistle Finch from Lancaster PA is also not that bad. Just wish they would age it a little longer.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Has anyone here been able to taste Pappy Van Winkle? The holy grail of bourbons.
Curious of your opinion if you have tasted it.
I had sampled most most of the Van Winkles before they were trendy and sought after by people with more money than sense. Most were pretty good stuff, but certainly not worth the money they draw these days. One of the very old ones had been taken over by the barrel, over aged IMO.

In the pic I linked there's a bottle of Van Winkle Lot B. It is very nice, and bottles trade for over a thousand dollars these days. The price tag on the pictured one was about $55 when it was acquired.
Posted By: EdM Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Jim Beam Black here.
Originally Posted by EdM
Jim Beam Black here.

Looks like they dropped the age statement on that one.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Jefferson's Small Batch for favorite-$33
Wild Turkey 101[always have that one on hand in case of a EMP etc].

Virginia's ABC has come a long ways and you can order many items and have shipped to your locale.

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19

The smoothest brown corn based liquor I've ever drank is Royal Canadian Mist blended whiskey.

It's smooth enough to cause you to make a damn fool of yourself if you don't watchit.

Figures a lefty would drink a Canadian blended Whiskey. Once again proving they have no taste!
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I started drinking a little bourbon and Whiskey last spring. I drink them straight or neat in a snifter glass. So far I would say that Evan Williams Black is pretty hard to beat for the price.
[Linked Image]

All good whiskey there! Old Crow is another good not so expensive bourbon, their Reserve is even better.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Buffalo Trace distillery makes many famous and hard to get bourbon brands including Blantons, Eagle Rare, Pappy van Winkle, WL Weller, and George T Stagg. However, they only use very few mash bills so the ingredients of several of them are exactly the same. It is where they are placed in the aging warehouses that determine the flavor profiles and characteristics of the different brands. That bottle of Eagle Rare you were able to find has the exact same juice as Pappy V , but it doesn’t taste the same because it was aged in a portion of the warehouse with different environmental factors affecting it.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by rickt300

Figures a lefty would drink a Canadian blended Whiskey. Once again proving they have no taste!

https://thewhiskeyjug.com/canadian-whiskey/canadian-mist-review/
A great review...

SHARES
Canadian Mist Review

I’m struggling to find any redeeming qualities in Canadian Mist. I’m also struggling to figure out why, besides being dirt cheap, this is America’s best selling Canadian Whisky and how in the hell it’s won so many gold medals. I’m flabbergasted at the stark difference between what I’m experiencing and the general consensus of America on this one. Maybe I really am a whisky snob…

Made from a blend of grain whisky (corn, rye and malted barley), rye whiskey, a “touch” of sherry that doesn’t seem to do anything at all for this whisky and “matured to taste” in ex-bourbon barrels this whisky is a slow-motion train wreck of cloying notes. The site, and related marketing, leans heavily on lightness in flavor and the whisky’s complete lack of bite as selling points and maybe that’s where the general American public and I diverge. I want bold flavors and aromas with depth, richness and complexity that’s bolstered by complimentary subtle notes that is a pleasure to drink neat despite any bite it might have. I don’t want to lay down hard earned dollars for spineless whisky.

CANADIAN MIST INFO

Region: Ontario, Canada

Distiller: Canadian Mist
ABV: 40%

Price: $9 (got mine on close-out for $4)

CANADIAN MIST REVIEW

EYE
Yellow caramel

NOSE
Sickly medicinal and caramel heavy followed by watery butterscotch, waxy candy corn and artificial sweetener run rampant. An astringent, cleaner like, overripe citrus mixes with root beer taffy in the background and a turpentine underpinning holds everything up.

PALATE
Same medicinal caramel and overripe, cleaner like, citrus blend with some burnt toffee and raw grain. A thick note of raw alcohol and butterscotch limp their way over the palate dragging something oily, dirty and mechanical behind them.

BALANCE, BODY & FEEL
The sickly medicinal quality knocks this one on it’s side and the sticky syrupy feel and light body make it boring and uneventful, but at least their marketing is 100% accurate. There is absolutely no bite in this dram, it’s like drinking water.

FINISH
Again that medicinal caramel rears is cloying head and is accompanied by artificial sweetener and a watery maple syrup that lasts for far too long.

OVERALL
Canadian Mist is among the worst whiskies I have ever tasted. It’s like a borderline rancid bourbon was mixed with a bunch of artificial flavors, put in BPA riddled plastic jugs and left out in the Nevada desert to be eroded by the sun for a year before bottling. Everything smells and tastes young, raw, bleached out and artificial. It’s just not very good. Hell, even the MIST enthusiasts seem to prefer it mixed with something, anything, else and that friends, isn’t exactly what I’d call a good sign.

SCORE: 65/100

CANADIAN MIST REVIEW - SCORE BREAKDOWN
Nose - 65
Palate - 65
Finish - 65
Balance, Body & Feel - 65

Value
Let’s put to this way… I wouldn’t even pay $1 for another bottle of Canadian Mist.

USER REVIEW
3.19 (21 votes)
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Good info in this thread. I find Buffalo Trace hard to beat, at least so far. I was just at a small tasting a local place had, discovered Old Forester there. Pretty good for the price. I also got talked into a bottle of Blantons. Not sure if I'll continue to collect the horseys or not, lol.

For those of you who like Rye, Roknar is one you really should try if you can get your hands on it, much as it kills me to promote anything that comes from the state of minnesota.

https://www.farnorthspirits.com/roknar-mn-rye-whiskey
Buffalo Trace distillery makes many famous and hard to get bourbon brands including Blantons, Eagle Rare, Pappy van Winkle, WL Weller, and George T Stagg. However, they only use very few mash bills so the ingredients of several of them are exactly the same. It is where they are placed in the aging warehouses that determine the flavor profiles and characteristics of the different brands. That bottle of Eagle Rare you were able to find has the exact same juice as Pappy V , but it doesn’t taste the same because it was aged in a portion of the warehouse with different environmental factors affecting it.

It's not so simple. Do an internet search on Van Winkle and Stitzel-Weller.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
I really like the Weller and the Buffalo trace Bourbons.

Now if you'll notice the Mason jar on the right of East Texas Lawn Mower Gas. It's refined at 90 octane in a stainless sti... I mean refinery. Aged a couple of weeks in a 2 gallon pickle jar with a piece of burnt oak fire wood floating in it. Then filtered through a Mr. Coffee filter with charcoal. Your lawn mower will run great with this fuel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RifleDude Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19

Not entirely true. They are subjected to different environmental conditions, but the main difference is Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare have the same mash bill, but Eagle Rare is aged longer -- either 10 or 17 years, whereas BT doesn't have a defined age statement, and rumor has it that it's aged for around 8 years.

Eagle Rare isn't at all the same juice as Pappy. ER and BT come from a typical bourbon corn mash with a low % of rye, whereas Pappy has an entirely different mash bill containing wheat in place of the rye...in addition to Pappy spending a longer time in the barrels.
Posted By: RifleDude Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
To the OP...give Michter's Small Batch, High West American Prairie, and Breckinridge a try.
Posted By: semi Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
Try woodford reserve. Also buffalo trace for a cheaper option.

i have been down the bourbon trail a few times. Expensive doesn't always mean the best tasting.
Weller 12 used to be a hell of a good deal before the whiskey boom. Same for the Antique 107 when it was in this package and still aged 7 years.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by semi
Try woodford reserve. Also buffalo trace for a cheaper option.

i have been down the bourbon trail a few times. Expensive doesn't always mean the best tasting.

Interesting that you named these two, they are the only two that I didn't care enough for to purchase a second time.
It is indeed interesting how each persons taste buds are unique.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
I have a friend who learned to make whiskey from his grandfather in the northeast Georgia mountains back in the late 1940's. He still makes a little of it today, in a hand-crafted 15 gallon copper pot still, with "white dent" corn that's been grown from the same heirloom seed stock they planted over a hundred years ago- - - -no hybrids or GMO's in sight! His secret is sprouting the corn in a burlap sack in running spring water before drying and grinding it- - - -"Malting" like the base grains for Scotch whiskey are processed. The Scot-Irish pioneers who settled in the Appalchain mountains in the mid-1700's brought their whiskey-making skills to America with them, and simply substituted grains that were readily available to them to do their distilling. The Whiskey Rebellion was fought over that kind of booze, and if it's made right it's still better than most commercial stuff. My friend definitely "makes it right"!
Jerry
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
EH Taylor is another Buffalo Trace bourbon that I like a lot. They don’t have the age on it, so it’s probably only 6. In my opinion the best Pappy is the 10. Sometimes to long in the Barrel ain’t good in my opinion.
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: Bourbon question - 09/09/19
When I took the Buffalo Trace tour a few years ago we were told Weller and Pappy had the same mash bill. I have at least one bottle of most all of the antique collection but for the money I'll take Blanton's. I don't drink my collectibles as there's plenty of stuff as good but much cheaper. I mentioned earlier in the thread Four Roses, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. Very good bourbon and very reasonable.
Posted By: scoony Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
EH Taylor is another Buffalo Trace bourbon that I like a lot. They don’t have the age on it, so it’s probably only 6. In my opinion the best Pappy is the 10. Sometimes to long in the Barrel ain’t good in my opinion.

EH Taylor is indeed a good bourbon. They have several different releases. 4 Grain seems to be the rarest and the local store will only get 3 bottles a year. I can find the Small Batch easily and keep a bottle on hand. They also have a EH Taylor Rye and Single Barrel that are really good. If you ever see a Warehouse C Tornado release, pick it up. The roof of that warehouse was torn off by a tornado years ago and left the barrels exposed to the elements so they got a little extra aging.

Buffalo Trace has 4 basic mash bills. Weller is the same as Pappys, just doesn't make the cut to be Pappys so they turn it into Weller's Special Reserve, Antique, or 12 year.

Bartons makes some cheap bourbon and it is not one that I would normally drink, but they had a warehouse collapse last year and will most likely have a collapsed warehouse release. I will be looking for that.
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by mathman
Weller 12 used to be a hell of a good deal before the whiskey boom. Same for the Antique 107 when it was in this package and still aged 7 years.

[Linked Image]

107 was by far my favorite "cheaper" bourbon. Too bad it's all but disappeared around here.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by 1911a1
[Linked Image]

Good Gawd..........You have to ruin such a nice collection of whiskies by putting a bottle of that fahqin' Fireball garbage in with it. WTF is wrong with people?

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rickt300

https://thewhiskeyjug.com/canadian-whiskey/canadian-mist-review/
A great review...

SHARES
Canadian Mist Review

I’m struggling to find any redeeming qualities in Canadian Mist. I’m also struggling to figure out why, besides being dirt cheap, this is America’s best selling Canadian Whisky and how in the hell it’s won so many gold medals. I’m flabbergasted at the stark difference between what I’m experiencing and the general consensus of America on this one. Maybe I really am a whisky snob…

Made from a blend of grain whisky (corn, rye and malted barley), rye whiskey, a “touch” of sherry that doesn’t seem to do anything at all for this whisky and “matured to taste” in ex-bourbon barrels this whisky is a slow-motion train wreck of cloying notes. The site, and related marketing, leans heavily on lightness in flavor and the whisky’s complete lack of bite as selling points and maybe that’s where the general American public and I diverge. I want bold flavors and aromas with depth, richness and complexity that’s bolstered by complimentary subtle notes that is a pleasure to drink neat despite any bite it might have. I don’t want to lay down hard earned dollars for spineless whisky.

CANADIAN MIST INFO

Region: Ontario, Canada

Distiller: Canadian Mist
ABV: 40%

Price: $9 (got mine on close-out for $4)

CANADIAN MIST REVIEW

EYE
Yellow caramel

NOSE
Sickly medicinal and caramel heavy followed by watery butterscotch, waxy candy corn and artificial sweetener run rampant. An astringent, cleaner like, overripe citrus mixes with root beer taffy in the background and a turpentine underpinning holds everything up.

PALATE
Same medicinal caramel and overripe, cleaner like, citrus blend with some burnt toffee and raw grain. A thick note of raw alcohol and butterscotch limp their way over the palate dragging something oily, dirty and mechanical behind them.

BALANCE, BODY & FEEL
The sickly medicinal quality knocks this one on it’s side and the sticky syrupy feel and light body make it boring and uneventful, but at least their marketing is 100% accurate. There is absolutely no bite in this dram, it’s like drinking water.

FINISH
Again that medicinal caramel rears is cloying head and is accompanied by artificial sweetener and a watery maple syrup that lasts for far too long.

OVERALL
Canadian Mist is among the worst whiskies I have ever tasted. It’s like a borderline rancid bourbon was mixed with a bunch of artificial flavors, put in BPA riddled plastic jugs and left out in the Nevada desert to be eroded by the sun for a year before bottling. Everything smells and tastes young, raw, bleached out and artificial. It’s just not very good. Hell, even the MIST enthusiasts seem to prefer it mixed with something, anything, else and that friends, isn’t exactly what I’d call a good sign.

SCORE: 65/100

CANADIAN MIST REVIEW - SCORE BREAKDOWN
Nose - 65
Palate - 65
Finish - 65
Balance, Body & Feel - 65

Value
Let’s put to this way… I wouldn’t even pay $1 for another bottle of Canadian Mist.

USER REVIEW
3.19 (21 votes)

I never met a Canadian beer I didn't like. I have yet to meet a Canadian whiskey that I can stand. Canada just isn't a whiskey making nation........Which is a shame considering their grain growing capacity. Perhaps they should start a distillers exchange program where they can study under the expert toot ledge of learned Appalachian, whiskey-making hill folk.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
Kinda' what Brisco mentioned.

straight corn wiskey

NOT BOURBON !!!!!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by stevelyn
[quote=1911a1]I started drinking a little bourbon and Whiskey last spring. I drink them straight or neat in a snifter glass. So far I would say that Evan Williams Black is pretty hard to beat for the price.
[Linked Image]

Good Gawd..........You have to ruin such a nice collection of whiskies by putting a bottle of that fahqin' Fireball garbage in with it. WTF is wrong with people?

My son gave that to me. That said I don't mind the taste that bad but it is still too sweet.

The Scotch in there called Monkey Shoulder has great reviews, but to me the taste is kinda weird. I much prefer the Chivas and Johnnie Walker black.
Posted By: Steve Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
Processed sugar was rationed as recently as WW2 in America.

My mom told me about how her uncle bought a 5lb bag on the black market and hid it in his closet. She was threatened with an ass whuppin' if she told anybody about it.

My grandpa owned a bakery in Burns Oregon during the war. He was selling baked goods to an army outfit near there. As such he could get sugar (and yeast) when it was rationed. He sold some to local bootleggers. The army muckity-mucks looked the other way for a cut of the finished product..
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
Eagle Rare all the way! And I also drink Buffalo Trace. Weller 107 and 12-yr old and Blantons are impossible to find nowadays. And Eagle Rare is not on allocation, but they deliver it every 3rd week of the month here.....so I know when to look.
Posted By: shootem Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19

As a good Baptist I'll give that an honest Amen to that; as I sip a dram of good Ezra Brooks "swill". Positive beyond doubt it pleases my buds and swill ever so gently ease me into tonight's dreams. grins.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
https://therarewhiskeyshop.com/coll.../pappy-van-winkle-23-year-old-2013-750ml
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by shootem

As a good Baptist I'll give that an honest Amen to that; as I sip a dram of good Ezra Brooks "swill". Positive beyond doubt it pleases my buds and swill ever so gently ease me into tonight's dreams. grins.

I drank a fifth of Ezra Brooks a couple of months back. It probably took me about two weeks to consume it. It was okay but not one of my top picks. I wasn't aware Buffalo Trace distilled it. Buffalo Trace is okay but again, not a top pick. It was the darling of the 'fire about five years back. IMO it's mainly because it has a cool label. It is passable though and not expensive when bought at Sam's or the like.
Posted By: bluedot Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
4 roses, eagle rare, elijah craig, buffalo trace in no particular order, all decently drinkable. But I definitely prefer a good scotch when I can afford it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Bourbon question - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by bluedot
4 roses, eagle rare, elijah craig, buffalo trace in no particular order, all decently drinkable. But I definitely prefer a good scotch when I can afford it.

Please elaborate.
Posted By: bluedot Re: Bourbon question - 09/11/19
Best affordable scotches I like are Glenmorangie Lasanta, Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr, Lagavulin 16 yr, and something a little more affordable for everyday is Singleton Glenndullan 12 yr old.

I like bourbon but truly prefer scotch.
Posted By: mathman Re: Bourbon question - 09/11/19
The Balvenie and Lagavulin are well known to me, I really enjoy them both. I have Glenmorangie Original and Nectar D'Or in my cabinet, love them too. I haven't tried the Lasanta yet, and I'll keep an eye out for the Glendullan.
Posted By: mathman Re: Bourbon question - 09/11/19
Originally Posted by jorgeI

this

I haven't had any in a good while, at least one packaging change ago, but the 101 Rye was really good too.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Bourbon question - 09/11/19
I tried Buffalo Trace - once - and was thoroughly underwhelmed... But everybody's taste is different.. smile
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Bourbon question - 09/11/19
Best affordable scotches I like are Glenmorangie Lasanta, Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr, Lagavulin 16 yr, and something a little more affordable for everyday is Singleton Glenndullan 12 yr old.

Glenmorangie and Balvenie are hard to go wrong with. The Quinta Ruben is good as well.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bourbon question - 09/12/19
Originally Posted by Redneck
I tried Buffalo Trace - once - and was thoroughly underwhelmed... But everybody's taste is different.. smile

I reall do enjoy eagle rare when im in that mood, but was also underwhelmed by trace. Its drinkable, but never bought a 2nd bottle
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bourbon question - 09/12/19

Glenfidich 15 year is pretty damn good to my taste buds. I like it better than the 18 year actually. Also a huge fan of laphroig in any offering. Macallan 18 year is also very good, but only special occasions here. Priced at close to $300 a bottle here. We always have it on hand for the opening of deer season
© 24hourcampfire