Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Google 'Bourbon tree' and you will see Henry McKenna as close to Evan Williams as any other. Same distillery and same mashbill.

GB4

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by Fireball2
So I gotta ask, and I'm not being my usual smartass self.

For you guys that are shopping for these different priced bourbons and are picking it apart down to a gnats ass, are you hoping to save a little on each bottle of bourbon and at the end of the year go on a cruise with the wifey on the savings or what? Do you seriously drink so much that you have to buy budget booze? Why not buy the booze you like the most and drink occasionally or in moderation, and really enjoy good spirits? To me it'd be like drinking cheap beer in a can by the half case rather than 1 or 2 craft beers that are really good.

I guess I equate budget booze shopping with alcoholism. Maybe I'm way off base.

Your off base, I been to some "blind" bourbon taste events before and seen time after time cheap liquor beat high end stuff a bunch of times. That's not to say some high end stuff is not worth the money. But it pays to experiment and is fun in the process. This is how I discovered George Dickel 12, $21 a bottle.

Exactly!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter

For you guys that are shopping for these different priced bourbons and are picking it apart down to a gnats ass, are you hoping to save a little on each bottle of bourbon and at the end of the year go on a cruise with the wifey on the savings or what? Do you seriously drink so much that you have to buy budget booze? Why not buy the booze you like the most and drink occasionally or in moderation, and really enjoy good spirits? To me it'd be like drinking cheap beer in a can by the half case rather than 1 or 2 craft beers that are really good.

Your off base, I been to some "blind" bourbon taste events before and seen time after time cheap liquor beat high end stuff a bunch of times. That's not to say some high end stuff is not worth the money. But it pays to experiment and is fun in the process. This is how I discovered George Dickel 12, $21 a bottle.

Exactly!!
Originally Posted by K1500
Have you tried Evan white label (bonded)?

Originally Posted by K1500
Have you tried Evan white label (bonded)?

Yes, its not my first choice, but is drinkable

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I'd like to line up 5 bourbons and ask everyone to tell me how much they cost. No one could get close.

agreed

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Turkey 101 is surprising good budget bourbon

Its generally what I drink, but williams single has such a pleasant flavor. It sucks it went away here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the choices guys. A couple i havent tried yet. Despise Elijah Craig. Everyones tastes are different I guess

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best Bang For the Buck--Old Forester 86 proof, Hands down.
V

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven’t acquired a taste for real heavy bourbons yet so I’m just thrilled with Buffalo Trace myself. I find it very enjoyable.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I haven’t acquired a taste for real heavy bourbons yet so I’m just thrilled with Buffalo Trace myself. I find it very enjoyable.

Whats a "real heavy bourbon"?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I live in Bourbon country. It was invented here. But I don't drink it.

The smoothest brown corn based liquor I've ever drank is Royal Canadian Mist blended whiskey.

It's smooth enough to cause you to make a damn fool of yourself if you don't watchit.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
A case of Canadian Mist is a safe wedding gift for the reception.

The snobs will either go home or drink it and have fun.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
All in all,...I think sticking good corn liquor in a charred oak barrel and forgetting about it for 8 years will ruin it.

The best corn liquor I've ever had was some old school, no sugar added, moonshine that probably hit about 120 proof. It was oily and you could really taste the corn in it.

It was made like they used to make it back before processed sugar was widely available.

Corn was used to make liquor back in the old days because it had a high sugar content. That's what started the whole "corn liquor" thing.

Very few people today have tasted moonshine that hasn't been sparked with processed sugar.

The old style stuff is very good. But it's expensive to make and it's labor intensive. I used to know an old boy who would make up a few gallons of "old style" whiskey for the holiday season every year. He passed around a little of it to friends.

It's very different than what most people think of as moonshine.

Back in the day,..the old time moonshiners derisively referred to the new type of moonshine as "sugar whisker" after processed sugar became available.

If you buy moonshine today,...it's going to be sugar whiskey.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
After processed sugar became available?

Like 500 years ago?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
After processed sugar became available?

Like 500 years ago?

It's been around a long time,...but it was a luxury item in 17th century America,...and many other places.

Making whiskey out of sugar was cost prohibitive for a long time.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Ever read the book Angela's Ashes?

Its from this century.

"Go easy on the sugar! We're not millionaires!"

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Processed sugar was rationed as recently as WW2 in America.

My mom told me about how her uncle bought a 5lb bag on the black market and hid it in his closet. She was threatened with an ass whuppin' if she told anybody about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Spot on

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sugar is a crazy, crazy commodity.

I suppose the varieties of corn used have changed too.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Turkey 101 is surprising good budget bourbon

Before breaking out of deepest, darkest Appalachia, I considered Wild Turkey to be high-end schitt. Nowadays if I can't decide on a bourbon, I almost always default to WT.

Nope, not off base at all. All the drunks I know buy crap to feed their addiction and turn their nose up at quality.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
All in all,...I think sticking good corn liquor in a charred oak barrel and forgetting about it for 8 years will ruin it.

The best corn liquor I've ever had was some old school, no sugar added, moonshine that probably hit about 120 proof. It was oily and you could really taste the corn in it.

It was made like they used to make it back before processed sugar was widely available.

Corn was used to make liquor back in the old days because it had a high sugar content. That's what started the whole "corn liquor" thing.

Very few people today have tasted moonshine that hasn't been sparked with processed sugar.

The old style stuff is very good. But it's expensive to make and it's labor intensive. I used to know an old boy who would make up a few gallons of "old style" whiskey for the holiday season every year. He passed around a little of it to friends.

It's very different than what most people think of as moonshine.

Back in the day,..the old time moonshiners derisively referred to the new type of moonshine as "sugar whisker" after processed sugar became available.

If you buy moonshine today,...it's going to be sugar whiskey.

A friend of mine is Pennsylvania Dutch and speaks of pure corn whiskey, especially the "corn" taste that's masked in commercial whiskey and white liquor sold as "moonshine". I would like to know more about this old-school method since I plan on getting one of these:

[Linked Image]

Vengeance Stills.Com

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guess I'm the only one that ever drank Weller&Weller.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,283
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.