Home
Posted By: persiandog stop vaping - 09/08/19
Vape lung is spreading and the CDC is warning people not to use vaping products while they are investigating the cause. In a media briefing, the public health agency said that some 450 people are now thought to be affected, and as many as five have died.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/06/c...9GuMxPQrnMTQ6cTWB2FeSLqbO2JAL9YlBT-UeKaI
Posted By: Gus Re: stop vaping - 09/08/19
an epidemic of vaping, and the public schools are cracking down?
Posted By: dale06 Re: stop vaping - 09/08/19
Amazing people have to be told that inhaling various chemicals daily could be harmful.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: stop vaping - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by persiandog
Vape lung is spreading and the CDC is warning people not to use vaping products while they are investigating the cause. In a media briefing, the public health agency said that some 450 people are now thought to be affected, and as many as five have died.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/06/c...9GuMxPQrnMTQ6cTWB2FeSLqbO2JAL9YlBT-UeKaI

Well now we know what happened to Bob. He took up vaping, and then he was gone.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: stop vaping - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by dale06
Amazing people have to be told that inhaling various chemicals daily could be harmful.

I'm all for getting rid of those who are that stupid, so let them vape to death.
Posted By: Springcove Re: stop vaping - 09/08/19
Why start that crap to begin with? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Posted By: rem141r Re: stop vaping - 09/08/19
ya thats the stupidest fuggen habit i've ever seen and i've done about everything bad. they sell the schit in half assed "vape shops" that some tattoed queer mixes up himself. and people put it in chinese made pieces of schit douche flutes and burn it through god knows what type of accelerant and suck gigantic clouds of it into their lungs. what could go wrong. fuggen idiots. fire up a red like a real man ya fuggen pussies.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: stop vaping - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I'm all for getting rid of those who are that stupid, so let them vape to death.

Darwin's Theory proved yet again.

The smart/strong survive and the dumb/weak don't. Isn't that the way it should be?
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: stop vaping - 09/08/19
Just make it all legal- - - - -vaping, crack, meth, heroin, booze, fentanyl, etc. Just make it a felony with a 10 year mandatory sentence for an ER doctor or a first responder to code any of those idiots! The problem will solve itself.
Jerry
Posted By: hanco Re: stop vaping - 09/08/19
Lot of people do that now, yuck
Posted By: Dutch Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Lets take a potpourri of chemicals, mix them together and expose them to high heat.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
The particular chemical that seems to be at the root of this is THC.

I don't think the maker intended them for use with Marijuana oils etc. but someone got that bright idea, and now Mr. Darwin has some work to do.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Darwin needs to work faster.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Winning!
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
I’m amazed that driving behind someone doing this they blow it out their window and it’s thicker than fog!!

What was their first clue that would cause problems?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
And folks laughed at kids eating tide pods....
Posted By: Tyrone Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Just another in a long line of examples why, if you paid attention to Natural Law/Philosophy, you'd have known ahead of the Wizards of Smart that vaping was bad business.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I don't think the maker intended them for use with Marijuana oils etc. but someone got that bright idea, and now Mr. Darwin has some work to do.

Yep.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
It appears to be the vitamin E that used as the liquid base in vape pens causing the problem.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Last I heard on this was a large number of these cases involve THC vaping or "homebrews" of one sort or other. That would be a step up in Stupid, right up there with placing small burrowing rodents in one's poop chute.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Last I heard on this was a large number of these cases involve THC vaping or "homebrews" of one sort or other. That would be a step up in Stupid, right up there with placing small burrowing rodents in one's poop chute.

Yep
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
The underclass is intent on polluting themselves. Weird and screwed up is the norm now. No way to stop it.
Posted By: 16bore Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
You know that when they came out that “weed” had to be on the to do list.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The underclass is intent on polluting themselves. Weird and screwed up is the norm now. No way to stop it.

I’ve used one to transition away from cigarettes, as has been said it seems to be the CBD oils that are causing the problems.

How does this make me “underclass”
Posted By: rost495 Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
pretty low numbers IMHO.

OTOH who ever could think that vaping was better than smoking and if so, how much better....
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
What the hell was wrong with smoking your tobacco or pot??
Posted By: xxclaro Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Might be different where you live, but I see far fewer people vaping now than even a few years ago.Also, how many kids are vaping now compared to how many were smoking 40-50 years ago? This is not some sort of new development in human behavior.
Posted By: Starman Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
It appears to be the vitamin E that used as the liquid base in vape pens causing the problem.

They are referring to the synthetic version of E (acetate)..not the natural E.

the syn. is a petrochemical derived Molecular compound : 3,4-Dihydro-2,5,7,8-tetramethyl-2-(4,8,12-trimethyltridecyl)-2H-1-benzopyran-6-ol

Natural E is a single stereoisomer.
Synthetic E is a mixture of eight stereoisomers,( only one of which is the same as natural E )

The process of producing an extract requires solvents (Butane or Hexane) of which residuals can remain.
then there are other substances like oil thinning carrier agents/compounds (Propylene Glycol and Polyethylene Glycol.)
that help burn the oil more effficiently.
Carrier agents contain carcinogens which when subject to high temperatures have potential to become more sinister.
(known to produce carcinogens including acetaldehyde and formaldehyde)

Vap flavors.

Several common flavoring agents, (diacetyl, acetoin, and 2,3-pentanedione) have been linked to severe respiratory diseases;
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/p...chemicals-linked-to-respiratory-disease/

One study found diacetyl can cause severe lung disease;
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/flavorings/exposure.html

Diacetyl found in over 75% of vape liquids tested;
https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/10.1289/ehp.1510185
Posted By: JSTUART Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19

People will do as people will do and there is no getting around it.
Posted By: scottishkat Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
I have never been able to understand sucking on one of those stainless steel gizmos. If I had my own dictionary the first words I would delete would be Vape and Vaping watching men do that is pretty friggin sad IMO.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Posted By: gunswizard Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Druggies paying the consequences of indulging in their addiction in what they thought was a new and different way. The vapers I see in my area don't appear to be the sharpest pencils in the box.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I think the idea is to get a hit of nicotine without setting anything on fire or even using tobacco......in theory getting away from some of the carcinogens involved in burning pesticide laden tobacco and inhaling its smoke.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19

And in true Democrat fashion the Michigan Dems jumped up and solved the problem by banning all flavored Vaps before they even knew what was going on,

Lol, they cured another problem that didn't exist..........
Posted By: efw Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag

And in true Democrat fashion the Michigan Dems jumped up and solved the problem by banning all flavored Vaps before they even knew what was going on,

Praise the Lord; I never would have been able to figure it all out if they hadn’t banned it.

It’s toxic maternalism that is our culture’s problem.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by efw

Praise the Lord; I never would have been able to figure it all out if they hadn’t banned it.

It’s toxic maternalism that is our culture’s problem.

It appears as if the above guys do have things figured out! Congrats, guys.

When we have a culture of young dumbasses willing to kill themselves with Tide Pods, illegal vape materials, and posting videos of lighting themselves on fire, it's not too hard to get to the root cause of such deaths.

Blaming "vaping" is the same as blaming the revolver when some dumbass uses one to lose at Russian Roulette.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Old age does funny things to a person. I thought it was cool to smoke cigarettes once upon a time, and now I realize it was pretty stupid. I see vaping the same way.....it's pretty stupid to mix up a bunch of chemicals and put them into your lungs.

But, I do not go along with Big Brother telling me what I can do with my body, and what I can't. If I choose to ruin what God gave me by overeating, overdrinking, smoking, using illegal drugs, vaping, and living an unhealthy lifestyle, it should be my right to do so.........however, it should also be the right of the medical community and the taxpayers to not have to be responsible for it.
There's a lot to that, James.

More and more, the govt doesn't trust it's subjects (citizens) with "freedom".
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I think the idea is to get a hit of nicotine without setting anything on fire or even using tobacco......in theory getting away from some of the carcinogens involved in burning pesticide laden tobacco and inhaling its smoke.

Vaping is just a different nicotine delivery system and once a nicotine user is hooked, he/she is likely to be a customer for life. Vaping may be a safer delivery system than smoking, but the potential risk are not well known.

The flavored vaping liquids seem to be aimed at minors, most of whom aren't mature enough to make an informed decision. Same as with flavored dip, lower nicotine levels in the flavored styles gets the young user hooked and they move on to styles with higher nicotine levels as their cravings grow. When I was a kid, a lot of other kids started smoking Taryton brand cigarettes and as their nicotine demand went up they moved on to Camels, Marlboros, and Winstons.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19

This^^^^^^ X 1000

We live in America, correct?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19

The current theory is oily vapor causing a lipoid pneumonia, which can prove fatal.

Not so harmless....

DF
Posted By: ingwe Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by luv2safari

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
"ya thats the stupidest fuggen habit i've ever seen and i've done about everything bad. they sell the schit in half assed "vape shops" that some tattoed queer mixes up himself. and people put it in chinese made pieces of schit douche flutes and burn it through god knows what type of accelerant and suck gigantic clouds of it into their lungs. what could go wrong. fuggen idiots. fire up a red like a real man ya fuggen pussies."

Now there is a campfire classic from rem141r.

I couldn't agree more. A few years ago, I was driving the Big Rig over the road to Texas and back and I was smoking about 8 cigarettes a day.
I wanted to quit. I started seeing all these vape shops. I knew truck drivers who were giving up cigarettes and smoking the vape.
So I got to looking at the vape, I even had a few puffs of a vape. All loaded up with God Knows What nasty chemicals, and nicotine to boot!
You didn't need a degree in Chemistry from Georgia Tech to know that was some nasty stuff.
I wound up quitting cigarettes on my own.
Meanwhile, to my dismay, in the four years since I investigated vaping, the number of vape shops has doubled! Or tripled! And they are selling this crap to high school kids, for whom it is illegal to buy cigarettes?
Gee, what could possibly go wrong with vaping? Give me a break!
Posted By: victoro Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by Gus

Vaping is real popular with middle and high school students these days. They think it's cool and nobody is telling them that it's just another nicotine delivery system that will soon have them addicted to nicotine. It's much worse than smoking cigarettes because you can get as much nicotine in 15 minutes from vaping that you'd get from smoking 2 packs of cigarettes.
Posted By: KFWA Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
My wife and I walk the dogs thru the high school parking lot almost every day the weather is agreeable.

2 years ago the parking lot was full of these discarded things. I thought they were something off a computer but my son told me they were part of jewl vape pens? I'm not sure if I have the terminology correct or not but I have noticed a noticeable drop in them. Matter of fact I haven't seen one in months. So either the school cracked down on it or the students moved on to another fad.

If they help someone transition from cigarettes toward quitting, seems like a good idea, but to start up, not so much. Hopefully its a fad that will go away quickly.
Posted By: victoro Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
"I'm all for getting rid of those who are that stupid, so let them vape to death."

I don't think that you are really for teenagers who are unaware that vaping is dangerous and addictive vaping themselves to death. Nobody is telling them vaping is dangerous and they see adults doing it all the time. They're ignorant not stupid.
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by Gus

Vaping is real popular with middle and high school students these days. They think it's cool and nobody is telling them that it's just another nicotine delivery system that will soon have them addicted to nicotine. It's much worse than smoking cigarettes because you can get as much nicotine in 15 minutes from vaping that you'd get from smoking 2 packs of cigarettes.

It ain't nicotine those little potheads are vaping in their black market bought THC oils and devices.

It's not nicotine causing the deaths and illnesses.
Posted By: mathman Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
So playing the douche flute can be dangerous.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
How do the odds shake out? The % of vapers who have died vs the % of smokers who got got by cancer or emphysema?
Posted By: killerv Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
I know of some kids that got busted selling vape hits for 5 bucks a piece on the school bus.

I'm assuming you can just buy thc packs for these things legally? My buddy had a siding guy do some work at his house and the guy was hitting a vape thing. Joker was stoned as heck before long.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Vaping in public generally sucks, but us outdoorsmen gotta thank em for a side benefit that came outta vaping: Batteries.

The vaping craze led to the development of high-output rechargeables that also happen to allow for the 5,000 lumen flashlights that are way more affordable than they usedta be.
Posted By: fester Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Blowing clouds will cost ya.

I rather burn a marbolo red
Posted By: Gus Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Vaping in public generally sucks, but us outdoorsmen gotta thank em for a side benefit that came outta vaping: Batteries.

The vaping craze led to the development of high-output rechargeables that also happen to allow for the 5,000 lumen flashlights that are way more affordable than they usedta be.

we have seen the vaping phenomenon explode in these here parts, especially in the surburban/rural schools. it's happened. now to control it?

speaking of technology, we humans seems to be craving the stuff, more and more. and there's folks who want to meet our demands.

speaking of demands, e-scooters are nothing really new, but what to do about them, and keep everyone safe is an open question.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How do the odds shake out? The % of vapers who have died vs the % of smokers who got got by cancer or emphysema?

Give it 20 years and the lawyers will tell you! smile
Posted By: poboy Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19
The kids have to push everything to the max. You don't have to fog the room for a little nicotine.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: stop vaping - 09/09/19

Right!
Posted By: Starman Re: stop vaping - 09/10/19

The vaping craze led to the development of high-output rechargeables that also happen to allow for the 5,000 lumen flashlights
that are way more affordable than they usedta be.

I believe the ongoing development of high output rechargeable cells for mass production was already well on the way before
vaping hit the big time.
high capacity/output 18650 cells were in demand for , high drain power tools,portable power banks for high drain mobiles, laptops etc
and a host of electric forms of transport , scooters,boards, bikes,Tesla vehicles...with the 18650 reaching its peak, it brought on the
development and use of the 21700 cell.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: stop vaping - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by Starman

The vaping craze led to the development of high-output rechargeables that also happen to allow for the 5,000 lumen flashlights
that are way more affordable than they usedta be.

I believe the ongoing development of high output rechargeable cells for mass production was already well on the way before
vaping hit the big time.
high capacity/output 18650 cells were in demand for , high drain power tools,portable power banks for high drain mobiles, laptops etc
and a host of electric forms of transport , scooters,boards, bikes,Tesla vehicles...with the 18650 reaching its peak, it brought on the
development and use of the 21700 cell.

Yep, been using protected 18650's for 6 or 7 years...vapers didn't invent anything, e-cigarettes were first...weed vapes just have a hotter coil temperature.
© 24hourcampfire