Home
We started a little early this year to accommodate a couple clients schedules and boy was it hot! It was pre rut/just starting the rut and a couple
brief yet much needed afternoon showers got these big rams up and moving. We saw a bunch of Aoudad and one that is on the hit list for next time.
Also why we were out hunting aoudad another client was successful on a solid scimitar bull oryx on one of our other properties.
Free range (no high fences) Aoudad in west Texas is an fun challenging hunt. Happy Hunting

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[img]https://i932.photobucket.com/a...d%20Hunts/IMG_1471_zpsgnpyrbng.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image]
Cool. Almost missed this one. Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted by mulie_mike
[Linked Image]

I reckon I'm not all that sophisticated. What is that? Cool animal.
That's a scimitar oryx. They are great eating and that's a very nice bull
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
That's a scimitar oryx. They are great eating and that's a very nice bull

Thank you, spot on
Cool photos!
Damn fine rams!!
Nice rams!
We used to kill the crap outta those things on the lease I had north of Van Horn. They eat everything down to the ground and there ain't much there to begin with. They are fun to hunt. We had one huge one I put a female hunter onto one time. He was every bit of 35 inches around the curl. I got her to 35 yards, but she was 8 months pregnant and couldn't lean over the mountain edge very well and shot right over his back. I put her on a 31" ram the next day though and she whopped him outta his bed at 185 with her 300 Winny.

Nice rams Mike. I wish we still had that lease. I spent just as much time looking for big rams as I did big mule deer.
Originally Posted by DubThomas
We used to kill the crap outta those things on the lease I had north of Van Horn. They eat everything down to the ground and there ain't much there to begin with. They are fun to hunt. We had one huge one I put a female hunter onto one time. He was every bit of 35 inches around the curl. I got her to 35 yards, but she was 8 months pregnant and couldn't lean over the mountain edge very well and shot right over his back. I put her on a 31" ram the next day though and she whopped him outta his bed at 185 with her 300 Winny.

Nice rams Mike. I wish we still had that lease. I spent just as much time looking for big rams as I did big mule deer.

Big Rams and Big Muley's is what keeps me going!

Big Rams and Big Muley's is what keeps me going!

I hear ya! I got obsessed with those big rams. It got to the point I was spending more time looking for a big ram than I was a big muley. I sure do miss that lease!
How good of a nose do Aoudads have? Will they spook if they wind a human?

Thanks
hanco,

They have excellent sense of smell. Their eyesight is typical of wild sheep, meaning its like 8X better than a humans. I hunted them like anything else in the west Texas mountains. I spent a lot of time behind the spotting scope and binocs and then made a plan for a stalk. If they can see you or smell you they won't hang around very long. And they can flat out cover some country when they decide to go.
We started a little early this year to accommodate a couple clients schedules and boy was it hot! It was pre rut/just starting the rut and a couple
brief yet much needed afternoon showers got these big rams up and moving. We saw a bunch of Aoudad and one that is on the hit list for next time.
Also why we were out hunting aoudad another client was successful on a solid scimitar bull oryx on one of our other properties.
Free range (no high fences) Aoudad in west Texas is an fun challenging hunt. Happy Hunting

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[img]https://i932.photobucket.com/a...d%20Hunts/IMG_1471_zpsgnpyrbng.jpg[/img]

Wowzers

Sign me up
hanco,

They have excellent sense of smell. Their eyesight is typical of wild sheep, meaning its like 8X better than a humans. I hunted them like anything else in the west Texas mountains. I spent a lot of time behind the spotting scope and binocs and then made a plan for a stalk. If they can see you or smell you they won't hang around very long. And they can flat out cover some country when they decide to go.

We have quite a few on our lease. Last year a group of seven or eight came out, walking toward the feeder. Something spooked them, damn they came alive and were gone. I’ve killed several with a bow, guess I was lucky.
© 24hourcampfire