Home
Posted By: SamOlson Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
We've had an epic rain and I'm not exactly busy so when my mom asked if I'd take her pickup into the Ford dealer for an oil change I said I would just do it myself.

Ford has always changed the oil, I've never done it...

Anyway, I go to remove the drain plug and damn near had to go get a breaker bar and socket. Got it with a wrench but Jesus it was tight. Upon removal I see the head of the 15mm drain plug has what appears to be impact socket 'chatter' marks....

WTF?

Drain oil, replace filter(which had proper tightness) and my dad goes to dump in the oil.

He says, oh you must have already removed the filler cap? I said nope....

Fuucksakes, that explains the nice even coat of oil all around the side of the engine.

I'm standing there pissed and just about ready to head into town for a chat and a new cap when I spot it laying wedged next to the battery. It had only been riding there for the last 3k miles......

Needless to say I canceled the appointment for my wife's Explorer and changed the oil in it when I got home.

Ford used to have the 'old' oil change guy named Buck. He did a good job. Now I think it's some young punkass kid who apparently is a genuine dipstick.

Rant over.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Let it all out man.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
My Ford dealership still has an old guy that does it.

Mom used to take her Buick to one of those Quick Lube places. One time they told her she needed a new fuel filter on the gas tank. When she got home, there was gasoline pouring out of the back end. Dumbfuqks forgot to reconnect the fuel line. 😡
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
I’d be pissed too. Go down there and raise some hell..
Posted By: ironbender Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
I refuse to use the stealership or a quiklube for oil changes. Have heard too many horror stories.
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Had a rebuilt engine dropped in a '82 F150 about 15 years ago. Drove it home and was looking it over and pulled the dipstick. Was at bottom of safe zone. Added 1 quart. Called them and said you need to watch the 'new' guy doing the oil changes and remind him it's 6 not 5 quarts.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
The
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19

Same thing happened to a friends car, but the oil was burning on the exhaust manifold.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Let it all out man.

Godddamn mopped headed millennial was probably busy playing with his gay-ass smart phone!
It looked like more oil had blown out than was really missing.

Measured the waste oil and it was within a quart of kosher.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Let it all out man.

Godddamn mopped headed millennial was probably busy playing with his gay-ass smart phone!

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Sam, at least it had a drain plug still installed, too tightly, but there at least.

If you're going to continue doing them on a regular basis consider getting a Fumoto valve. One of the slickest inventions I've ever found a use for. If/when we stop taking the '16 RAV 4 to the dealership for oil and regular maintenance, it'll get a valve like my other two vehicles. No more oil running down my arm, drains right into the recycle jug.

Look on the bright side, all that oil all over the inside of the compartment will help keep the rust down, what with winter comin' on.

Geno

Happened to my wife at a Jiffy Lube type place too.

And the phone thing, exactly what I was thinking when I read your OP.

Geno
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
My rant would have only just began.

I let Wal Mart do my oil changes on my daily work commuter.

Nobody lays a hand on my F250 but me!!
Posted By: WAM Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
There is only one oil change place that I will take my ride to. I know the owner who is there daily. He goes out and checks the work on every outfit that come through. Never had an isssue with his shop. A bit more cash than the quickie lube. Fugg those chain stores. Might as well take it to Wally World. Happy Trails
Geno, we were mostly pissed imagining all the dust finding it's way into the engine.

But my mom is on the highway 99% of the time so hopefully no damage to the engine.

Brian(Kingston) has reco'd the Fumo valves before. I might have to check them out.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Incompetency runs rampant.

Unfortunately.

GAF is rare. Clockwatchers...
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My rant would have only just began.

I know the actual mechanics fairly well and will let them know that if they see an impact wrench anywhere near the oil change bay to go ahead and stick it up the ass of millennial boy.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
I always change my own oil but I did have a mechanic give my Taco a lube job while he had it on the lift changing out the o2 censor recently. He charged me $5

I won't bore you with the story about a guy I was standing in the check out line with one day who told me he and his family were going on vacation that morning but had to delay it a bit while he picked up a rental car due to the Quick Lube "tech" leaving his drain plug out the day before.
Sam,

if the engine is blowing enough oil out the fill hole.................................

dust won't make its way in........ grin

a mouse maybe when parked overnight....................

but he'd get a loud awakening in the AM when mom started the beast up.

Geno
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Sam, at least it had a drain plug still installed, too tightly, but there at least.

If you're going to continue doing them on a regular basis consider getting a Fumoto valve. One of the slickest inventions I've ever found a use for. If/when we stop taking the '16 RAV 4 to the dealership for oil and regular maintenance, it'll get a valve like my other two vehicles. No more oil running down my arm, drains right into the recycle jug.

Look on the bright side, all that oil all over the inside of the compartment will help keep the rust down, what with winter comin' on.

Geno

Those are okay...but they are a bit to vulnerable for my liking.
Geno, bugs and chit getting in there.

I'm pissed man, pissed I tell yeah.....lol
The one on my Tacoma is tucked up pretty good on what serves as a rock pan on a stock vehicle. Don't think I'd attempt the Rubicon Trail with it, but I've been over a bumpy place or two while out hunting.

The one on my Matrix sits up pretty good too. Doesn't see much worse than gravel county roads though.

No problems with either on probably a combined 200K + miles.

Always use the hose clamp goody to keep the valve "handle" from rotating.

Geno
Posted By: Snyper Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Mom used to take her Buick to one of those Quick Lube places. One time they told her she needed a new fuel filter on the gas tank. When she got home, there was gasoline pouring out of the back end. Dumbfuqks forgot to reconnect the fuel line. 😡

How did she drive home with the fuel line disconnected?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19

It's amazing how much of a mess a little oil will make.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Poor guy needs a liveable wage. Least 15 an hour grin
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
I used to do oil changes at Sears many years ago so I know who they put doing them. The newest guy getting paid minimum wage does the oil changes, you're lucky if he has any training at all. We'd get a new guy and his first task was to pull a car in and change the oil, it was just assumed he knew how. I suspect almost all oil change places are like that including the dealers.

I do all the oil changes on my vehicles. There's no other simple task where you can do as much damage if you screw it up as changing oil in a car.
Geno, bugs and chit getting in there.

I'm pissed man, pissed I tell yeah.....lol

Mellow.

Mellow.

Better mellow out, don't want to get red flagged.

Geno
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
If your oil filter is oriented threads down, so it won't leak all over, buy onea these:

https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Pneumatic-Changer-Extractor-Remover/dp/B06WD64H8Z/?tag=car-bibles-20

Sucks it out through the dipstick, no more gettin under the ride.

Leave the drain plug alone.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Just think, a little dust down there is like JB Bore Paste polishing those bearings, slicking things up a bit doncha know 😮
Posted By: 805 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Sam
Glad you got it all worked out. Funny I’m sure the dealership would’ve just charged you for another cap.
This is exactly why I do my own oil changes on my new truck even though I can get them from the dealership.
Used to have a buddy who worked for a quick lube shop. His stories is another reason I do my own oil changes.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
I refuse to use the stealership or a quiklube for oil changes. Have heard too many horror stories.

We've got a Valvoline shop by us, and they've done a couple changes. So far so good.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Bought the wife a new Tundra a few years ago. Normally I do all the maintenance, but thought I would have the dealer do it until the warranty was up. Bad decision. There is quite a lot of busywork on the Tundra, skid plate, radiator bottom shroud etc before you get to the filter housing. Of the 11 fasteners, 4 were stripped by the minimum wage Einstein and his impact tool. None of which were critical...but the drain plug threads were overstressed and showing "peelings". When I discovered this later and had a discussion with the service manager, he was very defensive and before it was over I was encouraged to vacate the premises and take my business elsewhere. I'm going to buy another Toyota for sure, just not from Lithia in Medford OR.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
I would take mom's car to the dealer for an engine detail! At least the whole dealership would then know what happened!
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Sam, maybe these chicks were working at the dealership:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kwsra_1568317078
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

How did she drive home with the fuel line disconnected?

It was only about 6 blocks from where she lived. It’s a Fuqking miracle the car didn’t catch on fire.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
The local Firestone AutoCare does a great job on everything. Never a problem.

They've saved my a ton of $$ too. Had noise we all agreed after test drive was a bad right wheel bearing. they took it all apart and the bearing was fine! No charge!!! Turned out to be a weird tire problem.

Another time I was in for rotation (free since I had their tires on it) and they changed the oil. Oops. No charge.

I screwed up belt on my daughters car. I have arthritis and could not do it again. I show up there 5 min before closing. No problem he says. No charge. And I'm on my way in 10 minutes.

I love that place.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Oil Change.... - 09/13/19
Change the work trucks myself. There's a beer fridge in the shop. It normally takes +/- 6 hrs. It's a sacrifice I know, but some things are just worth doing yourself.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Old man in gay jeans complaining about millennials, better watch before you know it you'll be swapping your batteries in the Walmart parking lot to keep your warranties current...grin
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Me and a buddy sat at the window in a country cookin' (don't ask) where I64 meets I81 and watched a couple crackers replace the transmission in a 80's Dodge caravan with what appeared to be a crescent wrench, 6 way screwdriver and a digging bar, In the parking lot, while their wives and (what seemed like 20) kids ate at the buffet.
Guarantee those fuggers never paid anybody to change their oil!
I asked where they were headed, and to no surprise it was a NASCAR race somewhere south.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
You guys know how it is...

Between all the random farm engines it's just too easy to say screw it and let mop head tackle the women's vehicles....

And you KNOW I dumped in the fancy full syn on the Explorer. Should be good for an entire year!
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
You guys that pay for oil changes need to mark your filter in a inconspicuous spot.
Take a pic of it with DTG.

Check that schit on these places the next time ta see if they are ripping ya off.
Too easy for slim shady to dupe the mechanically inept or people that cant do their own anymore for more profit.

Just saying........
Posted By: hanco Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
I still change mine, forgot to put plug back in my diesel once. 13 quarts makes a very large mess!
I didn’t notice until it was running out from under Dodge.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Me and a buddy sat at the window in a country cookin' (don't ask) where I64 meets I81 and watched a couple crackers replace the transmission in a 80's Dodge caravan with what appeared to be a crescent wrench, 6 way screwdriver and a digging bar, In the parking lot, while their wives and (what seemed like 20) kids ate at the buffet.
I asked where they were headed, and to no surprise it was a NASCAR race somewhere south.

Dont under estimate a hillbilly on meth. Theyll make MacGyver look like Mary Poppins .
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
I have a newer ram 2500, for me the oil and fuel filters are once a year task. But they don’t make it easy getting to any of the filters. I like to do it myself so so I can give a once over.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19

Originally Posted by Fubarski
If your oil filter is oriented threads down, so it won't leak all over, buy onea these:

https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Pneumatic-Changer-Extractor-Remover/dp/B06WD64H8Z/?tag=car-bibles-20

Sucks it out through the dipstick, no more gettin under the ride.

Leave the drain plug alone.

I got one of those for changing oil on my outboards and other small engines. They're doggone wonderful!!
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
The filter on the John Deere 4039D on my lull644 Highlander is mounted USD so everytime you unscrew it the oil runs out all over the machine. [bleep] pisses me off. Stupid design.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Into five pages by my count, and no one has yet sung the evils of Fram filters. What is this world coming to?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Reckon NAPA full synthetic is as good as Mobil 1 or whatever that wonder synthetic is that lasts for a bazillion miles? I’ve been using it in my SVT Focus the last few changes and it looks the same coming out after 5k as it does going in. Stuffs like 1/3 the price of the good stuff.

Bronco’s 400, mowers, tractors and the like get the good old straight 30 Dino juice. Old 1 ton and the wife’s beater station wagon get whatever is cheapest. Of course the last two are both hybrids, they use gas and oil.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Dont under estimate a hillbilly on meth. Theyll make MacGyver look like Mary Poppins .

LMAO
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19

This cracks me up. Them f u c k e r s probably won't have any assault weapons for the government to take because they sold them to buy their wives meth and cigs, but if they did, you know they aint' letting the poleece have them.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
I took my truck to the local dealer for a recall campaign- something about the carpet needed new trim or something. I waited until it was due oil change to save me a trip to my buddy's garage where I do it myself.

Bottom line, they took my truck to lunch, stole chit out of it and did NOT change the oil even though they charged me for it. Never would admit that they didn't change the oil although they had no problem paying for the stuff they stole. Never again!!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
You guys know how it is...

Between all the random farm engines it's just too easy to say screw it and let mop head tackle the women's vehicles....

And you KNOW I dumped in the fancy full syn on the Explorer. Should be good for an entire year!
I know exactly how it is. I changed the oil awhilst back on the wife's Mountaineer and the daughter's Explorer. That said, I paid the Vermeer dealer to change all the belts on my baler. I am ashamed and I knew I would be, but it didn't deter me from having them do it instead of me doing it.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19

Geno

Those are GREAT!

I changed the oil on my 4 Runner after its first 1,000 miles myself, back in Sept 1987...

I put one of those Fumoto drain Valves on it then..... 567,000 miles on it and its never been off that oil pan since I first put it on..
back then I think the cost was $12.50 at the local NAPA....
Posted By: Seafire Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I took my truck to the local dealer for a recall campaign- something about the carpet needed new trim or something. I waited until it was due oil change to save me a trip to my buddy's garage where I do it myself.

Bottom line, they took my truck to lunch, stole chit out of it and did NOT change the oil even though they charged me for it. Never would admit that they didn't change the oil although they had no problem paying for the stuff they stole. Never again!!

Geez Dennis.. on your new Ford?

That is why my vehicles have hardly ever seen a dealer's service shop.. and when they did for any sort of recall or warranty work, I watched them thru a viewing window in the waiting room.... I just don't trust dealers, period... I can trust a lot of mechanics.., who aren't the Beavis and Butthead types...

I am a volunteer advisor over at the local Comm College Automotive program.. so I have access to lifts and all the tools I need, plus assigning students to do things I don't really want to do, due to them being a pain in the A** to get to...

around here an honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold and is cheaper than any non honest mechanic...

last time I used any local mechanic was in 2002... to do a valve job on a vehicle...

he just tightened the valves down all the way, put a slice in the gasket at the water pump, so it would leak into the oil pan, billed me $400 more than I was quoted....

As I have said for decades...

someone robs you with a 38, he's going to go to jail for a long time..
if someone robs you with a work order and a wrench... he can get away with it all day long...7 days a week, 365 days a year...
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
I'm 61 and paid for my 1st oil change in May. I've just always done it myself, mostly because of similar horror stories. I NEVER use a dealership for anything unless it is under warranty and they are paying for it. Even then they push hard to get met to pay for un necessary repairs. But for the last few years I've been using an independent mechanic whom I've grown to trust. He will change the oil and filter for $10 if I provide them. For that price I'm gonna let him do it. Plus he gives everything a looking over when he has it in and will advise me of potential future issues.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Bought the wife a new Tundra a few years ago. Normally I do all the maintenance, but thought I would have the dealer do it until the warranty was up. Bad decision. There is quite a lot of busywork on the Tundra, skid plate, radiator bottom shroud etc before you get to the filter housing. Of the 11 fasteners, 4 were stripped by the minimum wage Einstein and his impact tool. None of which were critical...but the drain plug threads were overstressed and showing "peelings". When I discovered this later and had a discussion with the service manager, he was very defensive and before it was over I was encouraged to vacate the premises and take my business elsewhere. I'm going to buy another Toyota for sure, just not from Lithia in Medford OR.

talking about tundras, has a 04 that had a recall on the frame, took it in and they told me it was good to go after they sprayed the frame with there None corrosive paint. about a year latter I was changing a O2 Sensor on my catalytic converter, I notice s bubble on the paint they sprayed and went to push it out. well stuck my thumb through the frame, here the guy doing the recall put a piece of masking tape over the hole and sprayed over it because they didnt want to replace the frame
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Our own Quick Change horror story was more’n ten years ago. Turns out some dillweed had put auto transmission fluid into our manual transmission Corolla. Killed the transmission of course. Strange because we never did request a transmission oil change.

Brung a different Corolla into the dealership for a service one time, paid extra for full-synthetic oil. Got the car back, the statement said nothing about synthetic. The dealership guy said the mechanic had used synthetic but mis-entered it on the tab. Pulling the dipstick told me a different story. I brung it to my regular place and they told me the drain plug was so loose they were surprised I didn’t lose it.

Meanwhile there’s an oil change place in an upscale part of town that sees a lot of classic and high-dollar vehicles. They do a good job.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Check out his jeans...
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Oil Change.... - 09/14/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
The

Yes, a classic mis-titling.

Mistitlement?

Originally Posted by 338Rem
Check out his jeans...

Synthetic techno pants.

Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Oil Change.... - 09/15/19
I had an intake gasket replaced on a gm 3.8l. I went in a road trip right after. The motor seemed to he tucking more than normal so I called the mechanic and asked if there was any reason why it didn't sound right. First they said those old 3.8s just tick. I said I've had 3 or 4 over the years and none sound like this. I said it sounds like there's no oil getting to the top end.

That's when they realized they had put a rag over the middle of block to keep stuff out while changing the gasket and then put the manifold back on with the rag still in it. The rag got chewed up and plugged the oil lift sump or whatever you call it.

The mechanic drove 300 miles with a trailer and pit my car on it and took it back. Ended my road trip but after they cleaned it out that old 3.8 ran for many more miles.

Bb
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Oil Change.... - 09/15/19
Had the Chevy dealer change the oil on my 3500HD. It was within $10 of what I could do it for, and they get the old oil. Going to Son's College graduation pulling my 35' Jayco 5th wheel. About 3/4 of the way up the Grapevine the DIC starts singing to me... Goes into "LIMP" mode. 20MPH. Pull off and call Chevy via OnStar. Several codes, oil temp, turbo temp, problem!! They would not tow, just the truck. No way I'm leaving the 5th wheel on the side of the road. Let it cool down drove very slow 50MPH to next fuel stop. All codes cleared on start up after fuel. Drove on to Arcata, no issues. Dropped the 5th wheel at the camping site and went to the small town dealer. Gave me a loaner Malibu. Drove the crap out of it, picking up Grandparents and others for the graduation. Dealer finally decided it was the last Chevy dealer, put 5/30 car oil in the diesel.. Tore down the turbo and intercooler, talking to Chevy Corporate. About 1700 miles later I gave them back the loaner and picked up the truck. Chevy said all was good? Traded the 3500HD right after the warranty expired, got good money as well. I don't trust any service other than myself now.. Replacing a turbo on a Duramax is about $5K, was not going there.
Posted By: k20350 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/15/19
I've bought a gang of vehicles from the local GM dealer. Wife had a Used H3 Hummer she loved to death (In fact she still loves that thing). To be fair in 100k miles I put 1 wheel bearing and a radiator in it. It was great vehicle. We used to get coupons that made it so cheap for oil changes it wasn't worth my time to do it. She calls me at work and tells me the dealer says her brakes are dangerous to drive on and she shouldnt even leave with it. I think to myself......... Strange i put brakes on it 8 months ago myself. I tell her to tell them dont touch it Ill look at it when i get home. They are fine. She hands me the inspection sheet and they have all 4 corners marked red for not safe. 3000 miles later she takes it in for an oil change and all 4 corners are marked green for good to go and I didnt even take a wheel off. Bastards are thieves at dealers/. AI don't know if its crooked mechanics or service managers but I've heard local mechanics say that dealers have been raping way worse than usual the last 5 years. Like really bad. One said he had a customer come in that had a $5,000 quote from the dealer that he fixed for about $200.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/15/19
took my wife rav4 in for inspection at the toyota deslership, free inspection if you buy a car there, service manger comes out and said it passed inspection but the cabin filter needed replaced as it was clogged,, said something like $85 to replace. I said really, how could that be since I took the cabin filter out of the car when I first bought it and there's not one in the car, look on the service mangers face was priceless
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Oil Change.... - 09/15/19
Another one of the hilarious car threads! If I were you guys I'd buy an electric vehicle.
Chuckle chuckle
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Oil Change.... - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Into five pages by my count, and no one has yet sung the evils of Fram filters. What is this world coming to?

I use Stihl, the 6.5 type.

and 30'06 oil, it'll do anything that needs done on the North American Continent.

And no beans please.

Geno
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Oil Change.... - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by Seafire

Geno

Those are GREAT!

I changed the oil on my 4 Runner after its first 1,000 miles myself, back in Sept 1987...

I put one of those Fumoto drain Valves on it then..... 567,000 miles on it and its never been off that oil pan since I first put it on..
back then I think the cost was $12.50 at the local NAPA....

Won't live without one on vehicles I'm changing the oil on.

Now, if only I could retrofit the vehicles to a canister filter like on my '54 Chebby.

Geno
© 24hourcampfire