Home
Not far at all from my neck of the woods.

Pretty sure this was outside the loop where there are still cornfields and such, but I've seen a few big ones over the years well inside the city limits.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/l...Antonio-golf-14443993.php#photo-18272105
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice. Got one up by Pauls Valley 10 yrs ago about that size. Was quite a chore getting him up into the truck.
My, they revert quickly!
Buzzard bait- - - - -wouldn't even make good sausage!
I don't believe it's 400lbs. - huge though way bigger than i've ever killed.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

i was weighed, 411lb
Who is the hunter Roger?

Ahh, nevermind, I just popped the link.
imagine a 1 pound block of butter. yeah there is 400 of them in that hog!
I have a pic. of one that was 449 lbs on a dig. scale if some one wants to post it pm me I can text it to you
Originally Posted by slumlord
Who is the hunter Roger?

Wyatt Walton, who works at Lone Star Trapping, a company that specializes in removing hogs, told mySA.com he was called to the golf course Thursday and had to use K-9 assistance to catch the "extremely large trap, smart boar." Walton declined to name the golf course in which the animal was caught.
I much prefer the hams and chops from a bit larger animal. I have raised a few Yorkshire barrows and gilts to 340-360 lbs. Other than the tusks, black spots, and the one in the photo is a bit leaner than the hogs I raise on commercial hog grower pellets. They look about the same.

If it's a female. I imagine it would eat just fine. I never had any problem eating steaks and chops from a five year old sow.

I never ate a boar, but I understand they are a different story.
digging those velcro Reeboks šŸ‘
I thought this was another Green Bay Packer thread.
Rong. They dont get that big I heard on the far.
People are used to baby pigs.
I know ferals don't usually get too big.

When we raised hogs, we left the grow up.
Not lean tasteless, industrial style.
But hillbilly farmer, I have 8 piglets, and I need to
get as much meat, and lard, as I can get style.

We made hams that were 50-60 pounds.

We often kept a young one or two to breed, the momma
got to hang out with her offspring. Idaho is spot on, big sows eat just fine.
We always avoided killing one if she was in heat. No idea if it matters.
It mattered to the old folk, and we never tested it.

Saw many 400+ pound hogs swinging.

The most impressive was scalding them,
then the scraping.

Scraping......really sucks!
Why is he humping it?
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Why is he humping it?

I always field mount the big ones. Canā€™t afford an actual mount
Why is he humping it?

It's a dominance thing .. smile
Woe
The dry sow i shot on the farm was a tad over 400,420 on the scale.

She was waist high to me and i have a 32 inseam.

Her choppers were broken some but she looked like she could have still done a world of damage.

At the deer least the largest weighed 320 lbs and was no fun dragging out of the thick stuff where we could get a chain on them.
Maybe two or three miles from me as the crow flies. I sometimes watch birds and do Christmas Bird Counts in the very woods along Leon Creek where that hog was likely bedding down.

I woulda thought it took access to crop fields to grow ā€˜em that big.

Hogs in the woods along the creek floodplains in this city are a given. They always ran from me back in that particular patch of woods outside the fence but then again some degree of illegal hunting by locals did and probā€™ly still does occur.

Where itā€™s really a pain is where the hogs ainā€™t ever shot at and ainā€™t fearful enough of people. I always go into the woods carrying, mostly on account of hogs. People too, of course, but mostly hogs.

Saw the story on the local news this evening.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Maybe two or three miles from me as the crow flies. I sometimes watch birds and do Christmas Bird Counts in the very woods along Leon Creek where that hog was likely bedding down.

I woulda thought it took access to crop fields to grow ā€˜em that big.

Hogs in the woods along the creek floodplains in this city are a given. They always ran from me back in that particular patch of woods outside the fence but then again some degree of illegal hunting by locals did and probā€™ly still does occur.

Where itā€™s really a pain is where the hogs ainā€™t ever shot at and ainā€™t fearful enough of people. I always go into the woods carrying, mostly on account of hogs. People too, of course, but mostly hogs.

Mike. Did you ever get some of the Buffalo Boar Outdoorsman Hard Cast loads for your carry 9mm ?
They work well on hogs here at the Ranch.
Although I prefer the 45 acp version personally, but if a 9mm is all you have, I highly recommend them.
That's pretty thick.
Heavy heavy heavy
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Heavy heavy heavy

How would you like to hit that at 70 one night with a little Subarus right front corner.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Heavy heavy heavy

How would you like to hit that at 70 one night with a little Subaru.

I hit a ground hog I an 84 chevette once and thought the world was going to end!
Birdwatcher, many times I run the creek from Security Hill Gym, other times wet a hook, but I see many hogs in there. Tons of them on Medina too.

Its a big dang job dealing with those things on JBSA properties, Iā€™m guessing 70,000 plus acres?
Yeah.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I believe it. This one pulled the scale down to a touch over 360lb.
You arenā€™t likely to hit a big boar hog, thats what turned me on to hunting them, they are smarter than some of the best enemy troops I hunted.

Heavy heavy heavy

How would you like to hit that at 70 one night with a little Subarus right front corner.
Thought this was gonna be another " Women of Walmart" thread.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
You arenā€™t likely to hit a big boar hog, thats what turned me on to hunting them, they are smarter than some of the best enemy troops I hunted.

Heavy heavy heavy

Yep, they and a mule were smart enough to lay in a muddy waterhole long enough to kill a screw worm filled injury years ago when we had them.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Thatā€™s probably the best habitat for 400 pounders. šŸ˜œ
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Mike. Did you ever get some of the Buffalo Boar Outdoorsman Hard Cast loads for your carry 9mm ?
They work well on hogs here at the Ranch.
Although I prefer the 45 acp version personally, but if a 9mm is all you have, I highly recommend them.

Yes indeed.

I used to carry a 3ā€ .357 S&W j-frame loaded hot until one day I was waving my arms and shouting at one of them really big boars at 20 yards in the path. It seemed somewhat POā€™d but eventually conceded the right of way.

If it woulda charged and I shot well IIRC I had five rounds of hot 180 grain solids to stop it. I much preferred the prospect of ten 200 grain Buffalo Bore 10mm Hardcasts so I ran out and got a Glock 29 for that very reason. Maybe the only person in America, nay, the World, who bought a Glock 29 to go birdwatching šŸ™‚

After about five years of difficult to find ammo I traded off the Glock 29, figuring 15 rounds of 147gr 9mm Hardcasts out of my Glock 19 would serve just as well.

I recently picked up a Taurus G2c, 12+1 9mm rounds in a compact package. Ainā€™t had a chance to try BB Hardcasts out of it yet.
I always go into the woods carrying, mostly on account of hogs. People too, of course, but mostly hogs.

People of Walmart...aren't they hogs?
Originally Posted by stxhunter

i was weighed, 411lb

You do need to cut down on beer
Originally Posted by 19352012

i was weighed, 411lb

BS.

Walmart would be like quality public property: lots of 350s but a true 400 would be tough to find. Golden Corral: private property where you can find 400s regularly.
Maybe, but I think they kinda expect you to eat there, which is a non-starter for me.

On the other hand, nothing makes an old fatso feel better about himself than looking at even bigger fatsos, so it might be worth the risk.
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
I always go into the woods carrying, mostly on account of hogs. People too, of course, but mostly hogs.

People of Walmart...aren't they hogs?

15 (??) 20 (??) years ago when SKSā€™s were cheap and abundant at gun shows a lot of folks around here bought em. So when I heard two separate rapid fire shot strings maybe 50-100 yards out along urban Leon Creek one Christmas Count morning I just assumed SKS. After deer or hogs either one, probā€™ly by guys that lived in the ā€˜hood immediately adjacent.

Doesnā€™t trouble me if they eat ā€˜em, but last Fall or the one before in that big hogā€™s woods by the base there was a sizable buck dead in the creek, like the one in Dances With Wolves. Probā€™ly ran off and died after being shot.

One time I was back in some woods on the Southwest Side when two skinny little Guatemalan (or wherever) Indians in full camo gear stood up from some cover, looked like friggin Central American guerillas. Friendly and all but not a lick of English. One had a pump shotgun the other a scoped rifle. Meat hunters from the notorious Indian Creek neighborhood about 100 yards away.

Walmart would be like quality public property: lots of 350s but a true 400 would be tough to find. Golden Corral: private property where you can find 400s regularly.

Yep. The ā€œGolden Troughā€ would probably be where the big ones feed. Would that be considered baiting. šŸ˜œ
Heres a 449 lber.. pic courtesy of 44mc.

Is he a midget šŸ˜œ

i was weighed, 411lb

lol, should edited that.

i was weighed, 411lb

BS.

haven't been drinking beer, on the keto diet.
Take a trip to Woodman's at 12:30 AM. You'll see them in person every day of the week. Mostly they ride around in the electric carts. Finding one that isn't rocking the EBT is the hard bit.
Originally Posted by trplem
Take a trip to Woodman's at 12:30 AM. You'll see them in person every day of the week. Mostly they ride around in the electric carts. Finding one that isn't rocking the EBT is the hard bit.

Same here at Walmart.

i was weighed, 411lb

BS.

haven't been drinking beer, on the keto diet.

Roger, I agree with you. That's a big, thick, heavy hog full of dense muscle.

1935 is way off base.

Speaking of 400# HOGS!

Speaking of 400# HOGS!

I bet them lips weigh 50 lbs šŸ˜œ
This is what 400lb hogs on FB and hunting forums usually look like. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Of course if there was an actual scale involved it would read more like 150 but everyone knows that mechanical devices are prone to fail. Iā€™ve shot a pile of pigs, hundreds of the things, and Iā€™ve never seen or shot one close to 400, one or two may have been around 300 but nothing even approaching 400. Of course Iā€™ve not killed any 1000lb elk, 350lb deer, or 2000lb moose either and those seem to be pretty oft repeated numbers around hunting season.
Originally Posted by TheKid
This is what 400lb hogs on FB and hunting forums usually look like. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Of course if there was an actual scale involved it would read more like 150 but everyone knows that mechanical devices are prone to fail. Iā€™ve shot a pile of pigs, hundreds of the things, and Iā€™ve never seen or shot one close to 400, one or two may have been around 300 but nothing even approaching 400. Of course Iā€™ve not killed any 1000lb elk, 350lb deer, or 2000lb moose either and those seem to be pretty oft repeated numbers around hunting season.

Yep. Of the literally truck loads of them weā€™ve killed here at the Ranch, Iā€™ve only seen one real 400 pounder. And he was a frickin monster.
Well, there are definitely 1000lb elk...

Sure there are. But Iā€™ll wager that 99 or more percent of the bull elk that arenā€™t Roosevelts killed in a given year arenā€™t 1000lb elk. Yet every dude that kills a raghorn claims it weighed 1000lbs, not 999 or 1002 but 1000lb. Hell I had a guy tell me last year that him and his son killed a pair of 1000lb cows, in Oklahoma where a big bull weighs about 550.

They all weigh that much when your trying to get em off the mountain in a backpack šŸ˜œ
Originally Posted by TheKid

Sure there are. But Iā€™ll wager that 99 or more percent of the bull elk that arenā€™t Roosevelts killed in a given year arenā€™t 1000lb elk. Yet every dude that kills a raghorn claims it weighed 1000lbs, not 999 or 1002 but 1000lb. Hell I had a guy tell me last year that him and his son killed a pair of 1000lb cows, in Oklahoma where a big bull weighs about 550.

I almost posted 100lb elk, but caught it..... Out archery hunting one of the group was on his last evening of the last day of his last chance to hunt for the year. We're dicking around hiking down this trail together. Buddy cow calls... Here comes this young of the year blasting in, stops about 30 yards broadside and get arrowed. Little fugger took off like greased lightning down the bank, through the creek, up the bank,down the bank, through the creek, up the bank and fell over 20 yards from us. Damn we laughed our asses off! Littlest bull any of had ever kilt! Took him out whole!

Is he a midget šŸ˜œ

laugh out loud funny!
Where did he get a picture of my ex wife?
Originally Posted by superlight17b
Where did he get a picture of my ex wife?

Somebody googled Ugly Women with huge wild hogs they killed and her picture came up. Did she kill that pig while you two were still married?
We killed a lot of hogs in the Oconee River swamps in central Georgia. We loved to eat a smoked wild hog ham.
And one day my buddy killed one about that size. We didn't weigh it but we called it 420 pounds. One shot in the neck from a 30-06, Winchester Silvertip 180 gr, the hog keeled over. It was a boar. That was one weird thing about hog hunting, compared to deer, you could tell a boar when he was facing away from you, the balls on a boar were the size of a grapefruit.

It was quite a chore to haul that monster out of the swamp. It looked like a dinosaur.
I had a meat grinder, we cut off five pounds of meat, we were going to eat some more pork sausage. I must say, while grinding the meat, it did not smell good.
We put 3 patties in the frying pan, and it smelled so bad it ran us out of the kitchen.
We tossed the sausage out in the yard to the dog, he let out a yelp and ran to the other side of the yard. The mutt wouldn't touch it.

We killed 50 or 60 hogs back then and that was the only one we didn't eat.
Why is he humping it?

It's a dominance thing .. smile

laugh
We got ā€˜hogsā€™ in this area that drive little bitty cars with no hubcaps or matching tires thatā€™ll make that dude look like a fly-weight!

Yep. The ā€œGolden Troughā€ would probably be where the big ones feed. Would that be considered baiting. šŸ˜œ

Neal, ahem,,,,,,,, thatā€™s the ā€œGuilded Troughā€.

Is he a midget šŸ˜œ

44mc sent me the pic to post. He said the guy is 6'4" and 225.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

We put 3 patties in the frying pan, and it smelled so bad it ran us out of the kitchen.
We tossed the sausage out in the yard to the dog, he let out a yelp and ran to the other side of the yard. The mutt wouldn't touch it.

Same happened to us. Stank up my buddy's kitchen to where he thought the dog had lifted his leg somewhere. Turned out to be the pork chops. Had to toss the whole batch, and that was the last time we kept a boar for eating.

I do wish God had put some better handles on the hog though, as anytime one gets much above 200lbs he is surely tough to drag by yourself. We've taken a few in the 250-350lb range and they can even be hard work for two men to pull out of a thicket.

Truth be told, I get more satisfaction from killing a good hog than I do from shooting a decent 3.5yr old buck.
We killed a lot of hogs in the Oconee River swamps in central Georgia. We loved to eat a smoked wild hog ham.
And one day my buddy killed one about that size. We didn't weigh it but we called it 420 pounds. One shot in the neck from a 30-06, Winchester Silvertip 180 gr, the hog keeled over. It was a boar. That was one weird thing about hog hunting, compared to deer, you could tell a boar when he was facing away from you, the balls on a boar were the size of a grapefruit.

It was quite a chore to haul that monster out of the swamp. It looked like a dinosaur.
I had a meat grinder, we cut off five pounds of meat, we were going to eat some more pork sausage. I must say, while grinding the meat, it did not smell good.

SK, I have had a delicious ham off a big boar that didnt smell bad when we cleaned it. Have you ever had a good, big boar?

SK, I have had a delicious ham off a big boar that didnt smell bad when we cleaned it. Have you ever had a good, big boar?

Yes, one that was de-nutted. They grow fast, and the meat is good...........
We steered clear of the big boars after we tried to eat that first one.
The biggest boar we ever ate was about 110 pounds and he was pretty good.
The biggest I've killed is 300#'s.

Weighed him, dragged him to the "bone pile" with my 4 wheeler. Checked later, that nasty 300# boar had been eaten down to bones, spine and ribs.

We put a trail cam at that site. It was hogs eating hogs.

So, I told my buds I'll shoot'em, won't eat'em. And, they say wear gloves to clean them due to diseases like Brucellosis, Lepto, etc.

Now, a young hog is good eating. The older ones, I'll shoot'em, leave it to their kin to dispose of the carcasses.

DF
We routinely have 1,100 pounders at the State Fair. This years winner was 1,253 pounds.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ8HSgTvOGJt3xdnnEaajaZuDBuZMmaBGi-bHfRz4XwXT34XIh
What the hell. I thought it was written in the rules that you HAVE to guess the weight of the hog(s) pictured.

You gave it away in the title.

I was going to say 410.
I've seen whole herds of them on the first of the month and the fifteenth of the month at Wally's world
Originally Posted by Morewood
What the hell. I thought it was written in the rules that you HAVE to guess the weight of the hog(s) pictured.

You gave it away in the title.

I was going to say 410.

Hey, you win. Everyone else thot it was 310.

Birdy owes you a bottle of whine. wink
Originally Posted by szihn
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ8HSgTvOGJt3xdnnEaajaZuDBuZMmaBGi-bHfRz4XwXT34XIh

S, we need that pic, if its got 4 legs.
Originally Posted by szihn

S, we need that pic, if its got 4 legs.

believe me you don't want to see it......
my brother took that pic. at his house . it is not a fake we think it was the one that was raiding a horse boarding place across a county road from our lease .some people said they saw a bear cross the road

From 44mc:
my brother took that pic. at his house . it is not a fake we think it was the one that was raiding a horse boarding place across a county road from our lease .some people said they saw a bear cross the road
© 24hourcampfire