Home
Posted By: Kyhilljack Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Does this look like a full cord of wood to anyone ? Hillbilly says it is, this hilljack knows it's about 70 cu ft .

[Linked Image from images.craigslist.org]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
No
No
Posted By: bcp Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
http://worldforestindustries.com/forest-biofuel/firewood/firewood-measurements/
A full size 8′ pickup bed stacked to the top of the bed is about 1/2 cord. The bed of a standard long bed Ford F-250 measures out to slightly more than a half cord if the wood is stacked even with the top of the bed. This includes factoring in the space taken up by the wheel wells.

and

Attached picture pickup-cord.jpg
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Not even if the scaler was drinkin
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
UH, I'm a guessin' "hillbilly" don' own one a them fancy tape messure thingies. Or no hows to yous one.

Geno
Posted By: Hastings Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
A cord is 128 cubic feet isn't it. 8x4x4 feet. Not too good at arithmetic.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
It's simple. Stacked, a cord should measure four feet wide, four feet high and eight feet long.

That load looks a little short.
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Old boy wants $300 for that. Asked if he was bringing 2 loads like that? He swears it will stack 4' high and 24' long. I said it might if each piece is 12" or less. Said I would give him $300 for a full cord, 4'x4'x8', 128 cubic feet of wood. Said he didn't know where I was getting my measurements but assured me he could deliver a 4'x4'x8' in one load. I said thanks but no thanks.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Old boy wants $300 for that. Asked if he was bringing 2 loads like that? He swears it will stack 4' high and 24' long. I said it might if each piece is 12" or less. Said I would give him $300 for a full cord, 4'x4'x8', 128 cubic feet of wood. Said he didn't know where I was getting my measurements but assured me he could deliver a 4'x4'x8' in one load. I said thanks but no thanks.

You were right.
Homeschooled

For sure
Originally Posted by slumlord
Homeschooled

For sure

If he left Ky and headed south he would be running your local Mensa chapter.
Hahaha

How far into KY are you?

$300 is damn good money
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
I know we don't upvote posts on the Fire, but if we did I would upvote every post by KYhilljack just for the word hilljack. That ain't no cord of wood.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by Hastings
A cord is 128 cubic feet isn't it. 8x4x4 feet. Not too good at arithmetic.

Yep, you're right.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Cord is 4ftx 4ft x 8ft
That is a load in a 1/2 ton truck
Hahaha

How far into KY are you?

$300 is damn good money

North of Lexington. Cord of hardwood brings $260 right now. Got a lil lazy, and older, last 2 winters in my cutting. Neighbor logged a hillside 4 years ago and I got all the tops, 4 winters worth of wood. I've got enough wood for this winter but I like to have 3 cords at least so I am always burning 2 year old wood.
Originally Posted by 19352012
I know we don't upvote posts on the Fire, but if we did I would upvote every post by KYhilljack just for the word hilljack. That ain't no cord of wood.

Hillbilly + Jack of all Trades = HillJack

The term HillJack refers to people who live in remote, rural, and somewhat mountainous regions of the United States (closely related to the people known as “Hillbillies” or “Rednecks”). A HillJack is competent at performing many skilled task (mostly manual labor), but is not the master of any one. The HillJack is described as an extremely proud American (somewhat backward and socially unsophisticated) who is willing to stand up for what He/She believes; never willing to compromise their integrity or values. HillJacks are a self reliant group who have been known to spend countless hours in pursuit of nature’s most prized creations: CATFISH, WHITE TAIL, and yes even a deer once in a while!
Posted By: Gus Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
maybe a half cord of dry oak contains as much btu value as a full cord of half-dry pine??
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Do you expect folks that can’t correctly read a tape measure to know a cord of woods size??
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
In NW Ontario they talk about a half ton load.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Homeschooled?
More likely public school--- new math
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Most people call a rick a cord. As stated above a cord is 4x4x8 and a rick is a face cord (4 tall and 8 long, but only as wide as the sawn wood- usually 16-20 inches).
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Do you expect folks that can’t correctly read a tape measure to know a cord of woods size??

Say him on Craiglist. Called and felt him out on what he believes he is selling. Hey if he can get $300 for that load in Lexington more power to him.
Them Big Blew fans will pay top dollar for a blue lamp and blanket if you paint a wildcat on 'em .
The guy in the video can't do math. He stated it was 16" wood and he stated it was 1/3 of a cord, that meant it was 4' high.. He also stated the second 8' was another 1/3 of a cord. He loaded his truck and had at least a 1'x8' left on the ground and said he loaded .65 of a cord. That's 2/3 of a cord. According to what he said earlier, he should have loaded all of the second stack to get 2/3 of a cord. He had about 6/10's of a cord on the truck and probably a little less.
Hahaha

How far into KY are you?

$300 is damn good money

North of Lexington. Cord of hardwood brings $260 right now. Got a lil lazy, and older, last 2 winters in my cutting. Neighbor logged a hillside 4 years ago and I got all the tops, 4 winters worth of wood. I've got enough wood for this winter but I like to have 3 cords at least so I am always burning 2 year old wood.

10-4

Planning ahead is always good.

I probably keep 2-3 yrs ahead myself under 20x20 metal carport structure. My outdoor boiler is under there with it.

wood market is cheap here, have all I need on the farm here. But I also have a sawmill operator that cuts cross ties. Has one of those splitter attachments for his Bobcat. I can go get a cord of split oak, hickory, hardwood mix for $135 cord.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
A "cord" around here is going for (at least trying to!) $140. Our paper mill closed its doors this summer after 131yrs. Firewood will be dirt cheap for at least this yr. Friend of mine is selling a triaxle load of full length logs delivered of course for $600.
Originally Posted by Gus
maybe a half cord of dry oak contains as much btu value as a full cord of half-dry pine??

Gus is that old growth pine or new growth pine? grin
Posted By: Hectortwsp Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Around here that pickup load brings $80 a good dry cord of oak, beech and ash mixed will cost you $160-180.
Posted By: Hectortwsp Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Oops do post
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
The old story is by dry weight, the btu's are the same regardless of species of wood. Pine will burn faster.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Anybody know how much bamboo fits on a half ton truck?

Asking for a friend.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Homeschooled?
More likely public school--- new math

There's some Utopia that exists where some of you think homeschooled kids are genius level.

No, they are brats

They are brats that have been tit nursed until theyre 5 yrs old, can't sit their asses still at school, never assimilated via any previous interactions, day care, church nursery, vbs sunday school. Brats
Their parents are anti vaccine morons, anal retentive religious freaks. They piddle ass and play around at home for 2 hours and that's considered a full day's lesson?
Homeschoolers are also a population due to above events, bullied, get beat the fugg up, piss their pants at school, have behavior problems, have to be homeschooled by their crackhead mother.

All a different thread.

Disclaimer, I'm sure there is some mormon utopia where is all works out or there's some preacher's wife who also has an education degree, stay at home vagina and it all works out for that narrow population.
Posted By: Gus Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by Gus

Gus is that old growth pine or new growth pine? grin

oh lordy, now we're getting down into the details.

probably the closer the rings (old growth), has more density than the new growth?

but who counts rings any longer? it's becoming a thing of the past.

i appreciate the insightful question, because it can be important.

when i bought firewood, i paid by the pound, and bought from the dry (more dry) piles.

and i'd pick & choose white oak, and hickory over yellow poplar, pine & sweetgum, etc.

anyways, buying by the pound is *probably* better than buying by volume.

but, the seller, or somebody has to have a weight scale. lot's do, and lot's don't.
Posted By: GBOB Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
Around here, the "rich folks" wouldn't even give 150.00 for that load....
Posted By: rem141r Re: Cord of wood - 09/20/19
300 buck for a cord of wood? ho lee chit
I use to sell pulp wood for $9.50 a cord and then in about a 3 month time period, the price jump up to $12.50 a cord. I could make $60 a week cutting wood after school. Thought I was rich.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19

So $100 a face cord? JFC, they only charge like $75/face for good hardwood around here. Unless that's Osage or Iron wood I'd laugh at him.
Posted By: cuznguido Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
Hilljack, I am not that far from you. PM me if you still want firewood.
Posted By: winchester70 Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
About an hour and a half for me and dad with a Husqvarna and a axe, back behind his house.
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by cuznguido
Hilljack, I am not that far from you. PM me if you still want firewood.

Pm sent
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19

Tell him double or nothing... He stacks it out to make a full 4ft high by 24ft long, by YOUR tape measure, you pay him double. If it won't make the full 24 ft, it's free... He'll be gone in a heart beat...
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
Assuming 128cu/ft @ 40lbs/cuft, I doubt that ole boys truck would hold that much weight in the bed without breaking something.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
I've been heating with wood for about 25 years. When I first started I was paying $50. for.an honest cord. Now I pay $200. per cord. I usually buy between 6 and 8 cords depending what is left from the previous year. I always get it cut, split and delivered in May. Generally have it all stacked under cover by the first week of June at the latest. All mixed.hardwood, no pine or poplar. Got lots of oak this year.
Posted By: sierraHunter Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
If someone offered this to me and said it was a cord. I would simply point out lets assume the pickup is 4 ft wide. Lets assume the stack is 8 feet long. Does anyone think that is 4 feet tall. If so they would not be able to see out the window. Because I can - I will conclude by saying if they really were home schooled they would more likely know the truth than most I see passing time at the public schools.

Simple answer, not a cord and not worth 300.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
Does this look like a full cord of wood to anyone ? Hillbilly says it is, this hilljack knows it's about 70 cu ft .

[Linked Image from images.craigslist.org]

If you stop by Lexington Tree Service out on Winchester Road with a pick up and load it yourself, you can buy a load like that for $75.

They usually have a mountain of it piled up out back from the trees they cut down. Usually there's one or two guys back there running splitters trying to keep up with what they bring in.

It's probably going to be green when you buy it, however. I bought a load of split oak from them last year that squatted the tires on my F-150. It should be ready this winter.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19

Nope... but if you can get away selling it as a cord ... good for you (provided you can live with yourself - I could not)
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
On the recent Ric/Cord thread someone stated that the only real cord you'll ever get is the one you cut.

No truer words were ever spoken.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
Wow...I guess coming from where I'm from, the argument of what constitutes a cord is mind boggling...and that there are youtube videos to define it is just.....
Posted By: greydog Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
I think we were taught what a cord of wood was in the third grade. I have had close to a cord in my old Dodge 3/4 ton pickuo (8ft box). With wood stacked to just above the roof all the way back, it was as much as the old truck wanted to haul. My little dump truck has a five yard box so it will haul just over a cord loaded level. Heap it up a bit and you get a cord and a half. Had one guy who was selling a pickup load for 90 bucks. Sounded ok. He showed up at the shop in an old Datsun pickup. Didn't sound so good then. GD
Posted By: rem141r Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
around here most serious wood burners get their wood delivered in log form. way cheaper and good exercise. a $500 picker load of logs gets you 6-8 cords depending on how you cut split and stack it. the ash borer epidemic here in PA has created a LOT of free wood lately. hell, i could do nothing but cut and split free wood if i wanted to. might actually do a little of that one of these days.
Posted By: 673 Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
This is 10'x2'x7'= 140cu ft
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Hastings Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
I am somewhat amazed at the price of a bundle of firewood like those I see at convenience stores and grocery stores. Looks like a cord would be well over a thousand dollars at their prices. I burn way more than a bundle every time we grill steaks. My wood is free in the sense that I cut up fallen trees that are in the way and need to be removed anyway. I got on facebook and offered free firewood to anyone who wanted to bring a saw and get it 2 years ago after a tornado took down several oaks at our place. Not one person came to get it even though they could drive right up to it and I told them they weren't responsible for the clean up.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
That is the new measurement for a cord- sans the carbon tax element.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
I am somewhat amazed at the price of a bundle of firewood like those I see at convenience stores and grocery stores. Looks like a cord would be well over a thousand dollars at their prices. I burn way more than a bundle every time we grill steaks. My wood is free in the sense that I cut up fallen trees that are in the way and need to be removed anyway. I got on facebook and offered free firewood to anyone who wanted to bring a saw and get it 2 years ago after a tornado took down several oaks at our place. Not one person came to get it even though they could drive right up to it and I told them they weren't responsible for the clean up.

ya thats the case around here too. thats why the cheap skate in me has an itchy trigger finger. i keep threatening to go into a part time firewood biz. i got all the stuff i need. i see prime oak, cherry, locust, ash, maple, etc free for the taking here all the time.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
I used to see a man hauling oak wood, between Carlisle, Ar. and Hickory Plains, Ar.,with a late 70 model 3/4 ton Ford, that probably had at least a cord of wood on it. It was stacked from the cab to the end of the tail gate, and way above the cab. Truck was level too. Must have had a hell of a set of overload springs on that thing. miles
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
I don't burn much, maybe a 1/2 cord a year. I'll buy a 1/2 cord from a tree guy down the road for $120.00 picked up. He sells a cord for $200.00. So I have a GMC with a 6 1/2' bed stacked to the top of the bed with the tail gate up, then piled up in the middle to the top of the rear window. The last time I did that and stacked it, I had about .65 of a cord.

The house I live in now doesn't have a wood stove. At my old house,I'd burn about 3 to 4 cords a year. I used to cut up downed trees on our neighbors farm and take it home and throw it in a pile. Then I'd split it by hand at my leisure. That was about 25 years ago and I was younger and trying to heat my house with it to make ends meet. It's too much work now, and I can afford to just buy what I need.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
NOT a full cord.. I've hauled full cords on other pickups I've owned (long boxes) and in order to get a full cord on, it has to be stacked to the roofline (or a hair above) all the way to, and including, the tail gate..
Posted By: BWalker Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
When I lived in Upper MI I heated with wood exclusively and also made hot water year round. Ran a Heatmor outdoor wood boiler that went through around 24 full cord a year or hard maple and red oak. Payed $100 per cord delivered in 8' bolts.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
... I got on facebook and offered free firewood to anyone who wanted to bring a saw and get it 2 years ago after a tornado took down several oaks at our place. Not one person came to get it even though they could drive right up to it and I told them they weren't responsible for the clean up.

I have a sawmill. Bundle my slabs off the mill. 6 or 8 years ago, I started offering the older bundles of slabs for FREE. I would load on a trailer, or back of an older truck with my skid steer. for FREE. Zero takers across about a three year time span...
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
Those cleaned up good
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
Hahaha! Leave it to you.

Slum 1
Bill 0
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cord of wood - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by Orion2000
... I got on facebook and offered free firewood to anyone who wanted to bring a saw and get it 2 years ago after a tornado took down several oaks at our place. Not one person came to get it even though they could drive right up to it and I told them they weren't responsible for the clean up.

I have a sawmill. Bundle my slabs off the mill. 6 or 8 years ago, I started offering the older bundles of slabs for FREE. I would load on a trailer, or back of an older truck with my skid steer. for FREE. Zero takers across about a three year time span...

Dang....it's dog eat dog competition to get slabs around here. Montgomery/Dickson/Robertson Counties

The mennonites scarf em up with a quickness, some even have contracts or priority dibbs on them for their dark-fired tobacco operations.

I have access to slabs from an old guy church bud and his cousin who cut cross ties. But I have to let them know a couple weeks ahead and bring a crispy $20 for straight hickory bundle. But that is probably 1/3 cord after I cut it down.
I use it for pit bbq, and other joints do too, after the mennonites of course.

Posted By: SuperCub Re: Cord of wood - 09/22/19
A firewood cord here is stacked 4' high by 4' wide by 8' long. 16" stick makes three ranks to get 4' wide.

That little pile of wood sticking out is the top of the cord, That's over 4' of snow, not drifted. I'm wearing snowshoes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: kingston Re: Cord of wood - 09/22/19
My brother supplements his medical practice cutting, splitting, stacking, drying, selling and delivering cordwood. Because he doesn’t take a salary or pay for log stock, his losses are capped at a few thousand a year.
© 24hourcampfire