Home
Posted By: jbmi Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
Six years ago we remodeled our kitchen. Looked at all the different appliances and chose LG.
Bought a DW, MW. Dbl. Oven range & 3 door French Style Ref. (paid $2300 for ref.)
Last week the refrigerator took a crap, compressor failed and we lost everything in the freezer.
Good thing is it had a 7 year warranty, we carry appliance insurance through our electric company, so their tech came over and said they do not service LG's because of the problems with the delivery time and parts that don't work. (read the small print in the policy) so we called the store we bought them from (Best Buy) and they referred us to LG Service Dept. in South Korea. Tried to speak to some lady who does not have English as her first language.
Finally got her to give us a local service man to call, She gave us two. Called both, got no response over two days. Then called two local well known service companies here in town.
They both declined working on LG's, said parts are hard to get, with long wait times, and there's a good chance they won't work as LG is constantly changing there design. They both said what we have is scrap metal.
So after only 6 years we junked the thing and bought a new one.
We have cottages and deer camps around here that have refrigerator that are 30+ years old and still working, just another reason to research what you're buying.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
Our 11 year old Frigidare crapped out this month. Seems that about 10 years is all you can expect from these "newer" refrigerator. And they are not cheap.
My parents had a Sears upright freezer in their garage that operated continually from 1960 to 2016.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
For a period of time I worked as as inspector at GE transportation.
The plant has been around over 100 years and at one point actually made refrigerators.
There are refrigerators all over the plant that are well over 50 years old,
Not just GE ones either.
There are some real antiques still there,still running, sitting on the shop floor. In dirt and filth thats just hard to believe.
For myself, had a Hotpoint that lasted 37 years.
Would not make cold anymore.
Found a small appliance dealer that services what they sell.
Screw bustbuy..
Bought a Maytag.With the freezer on the bottom.
I like it alot.
Dealer told me upfront.
10 years.
Thats how there built now.
HIVAC guy told me it has alot to do with the efficiency standards set buy the gov....
Figures.

dave
Posted By: Dess Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
The cost of repairs on appliances makes replacement a cheaper option. The last microwave we bought was under $100. They still tried selling us an extended warranty.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
Modern appliances of all sorts have horrible service life compared to those of old. LG and Samsung customer service sucks hog balls. Big time. As in slit your own throat bad. Modern appliances are disposable.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
We have a Frigidaire that went to Ontario in 1949. We hauled it back to Iowa to get it out. It weighs a lot, but I'll think it would still run.
Posted By: hanco Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
We have Frigidaire, good luck with it so far.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
We remodeled our kitchen 18 yers ago and are on our third refrigerator. Had a Frigidaire bottom freezer that crapped out a year after we bought it. Compressor stb and was repaired under warranty with nothing lost in the unit (had a spare downstairs). Replaced with a smaller GE same bottom freezer and it would freeze up and then leak all over the floor. Naturally this occurred after the warranty ran out. Bought a scratch and dent Kenmore with freezer on top and so far so good. Around the corner at my buddies house is a Norge I gave him from my parents. 60 years old and still working.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
I've been told by repair guys that the main culprit is the efficiency standards on newer production models. The standards cause the compressor(s) to cycle on and off at a much higher rate compared to the older models. 8-10 years on a new compressor is a full life span and likely has the same on/off cycle number of a still operational 30 year old model
Posted By: RickyD Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
When Maytag and Amana went under, it was free reign for the remaining manufacturers of appliances to turn out junk and the one or two manufacturers of quality stuff to jack up their prices.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19

My sister and our oldest daughter both had huge new high tech refrigerators with digital controls and both started having problems with theirs while still under warranty with little if any resolution from manufacturer or dealer.

I thought it quite telling that area Habitat for Humanity "Restore" resale stores often have the same types and brand name refrigerators, ranges, washers and dryers over and over again, typically donated by fed-up owners and/or store trade-ins, for resale by Habitat, marked "as is - no refunds".

Posted By: 16bore Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
People remodel so often that appliances with a 30 year lifespan don’t make sense. The beer fridge in most folks garages seem to last forever. I had one that was old as the hills, sat in a barn for years and never missed a lick.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by 16bore
People remodel so often that appliances with a 30 year lifespan don’t make sense.
Most ordinary folks who remodel a kitchen or bath won't do it again for 20 years at least, and with many it's one and done.
We replaced all our kitchen appliances this spring. The old ones were GE, lasted 18 years so we went with them again. We bought through a regular local appliance dealer rather than a big box store. We asked about the Samsung and LG appliances and they recommended that we stay away from them due to repair history. Long story short after 4 months our fridge started to have trouble staying in the right temperature range. It was the compressor and the dealership replaced with another new GE of the same model. I guess they really don't make them like they used to.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by 16bore
People remodel so often that appliances with a 30 year lifespan don’t make sense.
Most ordinary folks who remodel a kitchen or bath won't do it again for 20 years at least, and with many it's one and done.

Not many stay in the same home that long anymore.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
I lived right down the street from one of the biggest appliance dealers in our area. When my girlfriend at the time decided I needed new appliances.
I went in and talked to him. He asked what I had in mind. I said I wanted what he had in his house. He lead me over to some inexpensive stainless Frigidaire brand. I was sort of shocked expecting him to take me over to the Viking section. He said , buy this Frigidaire stuff because we got the parts to
Fix them and they all break down. He said the expensive stuff is nice but can take three weeks to a month to get a part. He said this aint your dads and grandads appliances that will last your lifetime. All this stuff is going to last 10-12 years and then it ain't worth fixing. I did what he said and bought the cheaper stuff and a warranty. He was right on all accounts.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
I buy Kenmore, which I believe is manufactured by frigidaire. Have for 40 years. Our last remodel, maybe12 years ago, I purchased their extended warranty for our Elite, stainless appliances. In that span of time Sears has replaced our 5 burner induction cooktop twice. And our double oven twice. The frig has never missed a beat. The extended warranty is expensive but I don't care. When something goes south all I want to do is make a phone call and get someone out here. I just had a technician out here about 3 days ago doing an annual function check on my appliances. Current warranty runs through 2021. I have no complaints.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/27/19
We read the Consumer Reports Magazine and buy what they recommend. They report on most everything that is needed in everyday life. After many years we are still reading and buying what they recommend. Check out their magazine.
Posted By: catdoctor Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/28/19
I am running a Wizard chest freezer bought at Western Auto in 1958. The year I was born. It has never had a problem.
They don't make them like that any more!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/28/19
Anyone outside of Idaho still running a turkey-shît green Kenmore fridge?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/28/19
Originally Posted by slumlord

What? Were ya saving that one in your ditch?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/28/19
Have had several salesmen tell us 7 years is the average major appliance life.
While looking me in the eye, and not at his shoes.

Consider, as some have posted, there are many fools that change appliances more often.
Just like cars, you don't build for the guy at the end of the products life, you build for
the guy who buys new, off you.

Also, in 1950-60, when Pap got electricity, city cousins had owned refrigerators for
twenty years. If Cousin Hilda had a GE go toes up in 10 years, "We ain't buying no GE".

But today there is a very limited market for first time refrigerator sales. It's people
replacing appliances. Other than the Jones chasers, if these things lasted 30-50 years,
They wouldn't sell very many. We have bought two in 25 years. If they didn't fail, we would
never buy again.

We own old Maytag laundry stuff. I fix it when it breaks. 25 years old,
I have put about $200 in it. New would cost $2k, and wear out before this stuff will.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/28/19
My refrigerator is a Maytag.

We are about the same age.
Posted By: savage24 Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/28/19

I had one once. It had been professionally repainted in almond, but you could see the turkey-[bleep] green on the back where they did not worry about completely covering it up. I purchased it for $250 from someone who was moving out of state. It still had a paper sticker inside the door describing how to replace a charcoal filter. The sticker had a Kenmore customer service phone number on it. I called the number to ask when that model was made and I was shocked when they told me early to mid 70’s. That’s when I got to looking closer and realized it was originally painted olive green. It was a side by side that was probably top of the line when new. It served me well for about 14 years. Not bad for $250.

The only major appliances I have purchased new were two freezers and both of them were junk. The current refrigerator in my kitchen is a basic Kenmore that was 10 years old when I acquired it through a friend for $25.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/28/19
I wish I had a turkey schit green fridge.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/28/19
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
I wish I had a turkey schit green fridge.

I do have a green coffee maker though.
Originally Posted by savage24

I had one once. It had been professionally repainted in almond, but you could see the turkey-[bleep] green on the back where they did not worry about completely covering it up. I purchased it for $250 from someone who was moving out of state. It still had a paper sticker inside the door describing how to replace a charcoal filter. The sticker had a Kenmore customer service phone number on it. I called the number to ask when that model was made and I was shocked when they told me early to mid 70’s. That’s when I got to looking closer and realized it was originally painted olive green. It was a side by side that was probably top of the line when new. It served me well for about 14 years. Not bad for $250.

The only major appliances I have purchased new were two freezers and both of them were junk. The current refrigerator in my kitchen is a basic Kenmore that was 10 years old when I acquired it through a friend for $25.

Heck ya!!!

😄😄

We had the baby-shît diarrhea yellow Kenmore washer we got when my grandmother hit the nursing home. It was about a 1980 model, it quit about 6 years ago

👍👍
2 years ago a gave away a mid 1970s General Electric chest freezer. It still worked like a top. Just got tired of defrosting it. Man at my church came and took off my hands.

Thing was about 8ft long, don't know the cubic ft but I'd almost swear I'd could get 1/3 cord of wood into.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/29/19
We’ve got a referigator at our shop made in he 60s the seal is so good the handle snapped off 30 yrs ago and a flat blade screw driver has beeen laying on top to pry it open ever since
Posted By: GBOB Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/29/19
Just helped my neighbors son move his Sears chest freezer last month. Had the owners manual and receipt —March of 68.
He has in his garage now running...
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/29/19
These are cool, but the brand name is highly suspect:

SMEG

If I was in need of a new refrigerator, there's no way in hell I'd get a new one. New appliances, especially refrigerators, suck. I'd look for a used Sub Zero or possibly an older GE Profile. I bought a GE Profile in 2009 and it's still working great. The only problem with it was that everyone would use the inner door shelf clear plastic to close the door and 3 of them cracked up badly. I replaced the plastic about 6 or 7 years ago with 1/2" flat aluminum bowed slats (2 on each shelf) fastened with stainless steel screws. Still holding up nicely, though, my ex got the frige in the divorce.

Washers and dryers, I'd look for Asko or Miele - used. Gas range - a used Wolf. Lots of people move and don't want to take their perfectly serviceable appliances with them.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Kitchen Appliances - 09/29/19
GE got out of the appliance business. Quality control was eating their lunch.

I like Samsung. I remodeled the kitchen in 2009, bought all Samsung stuff except for a Bosch dishwasher and its lasted so far. But I also know that there is no shortage of people that have had trouble with Samsung

The bottom line is with appliances, if you are buying a new retail model from a big box store (or even local dealer) and not a high end brand like Sub Zero, your going to get a wide range of responses from people

One person will swear by Maytag, another will swear at them, same with GE, LG, Samsung, etc.,
© 24hourcampfire