Home
My brother just bought some land around Boyds Creek, outside of Knoxville. Just checking opinions from people in the know.

Also, how are Tennessee gun laws? I would imagine they are at least as good as Florida, possibly better.
Ask them about their low state sales tax
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Took us a little time to figure out that buying everything at home in Virginia[almost half the sales tax rate] and hauling to our Tenn place was worth the trouble.

Gun laws in TN are about as good as it gets.
Originally Posted by Raeford

Took us a little time to figure out that buying everything at home in Virginia[almost half the sales tax rate] and hauling to our Tenn place was worth the trouble.

^^^^^^^ This
Knoxville is a pretty area of the state as long as the cheesy tourist areas are avoided.

TN gun laws are fine as they don’t add much on top of the Federal requirements. They do require a license to carry and getting one requires “training”, but other than that they are pretty easy. Also, signs prohibiting weapons have the force of law or at least they did when I lived there a few years ago.
What about the area called Boyds Creek? Anybody familiar with the area?
Boyds Creek basically runs west of the main entry for Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg[on the west side].
Our property is about 4-5 miles south of there on the west side of PF.

It's a nice area that is very close to the tourist trap but does have easy access to Knox.

Better yet ask them about their low property tax outside the cities, vehicle registration fees, no state income tax, and no annual personal property income tax.

TN does have one interesting gun law. If you can legally buy a handgun then you can legally carry it concealed inside your vehicle without a permit. This doesn't give you a right to carry concealed. The states reasoning is your vehicle is an extension of your home and you have the right to protect yourself when you are in it. Knoxville is a nice area if you avoid being inside the city limits.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Better yet ask them about their low property tax outside the cities, vehicle registration fees, no state income tax, and no annual personal property income tax.

TN does have one interesting gun law. If you can legally buy a handgun then you can legally carry it concealed inside your vehicle without a permit. This doesn't give you a right to carry concealed. The states reasoning is your vehicle is an extension of your home and you have the right to protect yourself when you are in it. Knoxville is a nice area if you avoid being inside the city limits.

....at damn near 10% state sales tax, everything else aught to be LOW!!
I buy all the good shît I need in KY or Alabama. Furniture, farm equipment.

Besides, that dad's military discount negates the sales tax when I need a new appliance or $5,000 worth of lumber from the Lowes.

schweeet!!!!
I grew up off of Boyd’s creek, just moved about 30 minutes away. Good area.

No weird gun laws.

Tell him to go check out Tennessee silencer company, maybe a 10 minute drive for him. The owner Robert is a awesome guy, good gun shop

Feel free to pm if you have any questions

All my family and close friends still live there
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I grew up off of Boyd’s creek, just moved about 30 minutes away. Good area.

No weird gun laws.

Tell him to go check out Tennessee silencer company, maybe a 10 minute drive for him. The owner Robert is a awesome guy, good gun shop

Feel free to pm if you have any questions

All my family and close friends still live there

Kevin, thank you very much for the info. I will pass it on to my brother.
Beautiful part of the country. I love it down there.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

You got us on no state income tax and no annual personal property tax. The rest is a wash outside of the cities. Your state will have a state income tax in no time, you do have Memphis,Nashville and Knoxville .

And incredibly high sales tax. The state will get their money one way or another.
Posted By: ewc Re: Questions for Tennessee folks - 10/07/19
Boyds Creek is really Seymour. Lots of good people. I grew up about 10 miles nnw in South Knoxville.

Tell him Sevierville and Pigeon Forge traffic is awful. Chapman Hwy is dangerous. Ye Old Steak House is fantastic and the fishing is excellent in the rivers.

Hunting is great and our carry permits are extremely easy to obtain.

If he wants, he can contact me.
Funny thing about the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area- - - - - -when those places are full of damyankees and furriners, they call it "tourist season"- - - - -but the won't let us shoot 'em! Closing the hunting season in 1865 was a mistake!
Jerry

PM that Slumlord guy............
Originally Posted by Raeford

Alaska.

hint.........

thank me later.........

😁😁😉😉👍
ain't that where that Deliverance thing happened? nice countryside but that hillbilly ass rape thing would take some getting used to.
Originally Posted by rem141r
ain't that where that Deliverance thing happened? nice countryside but that hillbilly ass rape thing would take some getting used to.

I believe that was in Georgia

Georgia .
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

Georgia .

Hollywood
Posted By: ewc Re: Questions for Tennessee folks - 10/07/19

Sounds like you're available.....

[bleep] off asswipe.
Posted By: Sako Re: Questions for Tennessee folks - 10/08/19
Originally Posted by JMR40

And incredibly high sales tax. The state will get their money one way or another.

Living here for a long time I find this very funny.... I moved here from Georgia... where they have a 4% state but each county adds on... Fulton county you are aound 8.9%, Gwinnett county 8.5% and they get a privilege to pay out rageous property and car tax... and do not forget the state income tax... which we do not have here... I have found I pay much lower overall raxes here in TN

Seymour area is very pretty.... FWIW
We [bleep] (bang) our female cousins if they are Perty.
Get some land and then get it put into the Greenbelt program. It’s not perfect but overall allows the purchase of a lot of things tax free.
Originally Posted by Sako
Originally Posted by JMR40

Living here for a long time I find this very funny.... I moved here from Georgia... where they have a 4% state but each county adds on... Fulton county you are aound 8.9%, Gwinnett county 8.5% and they get a privilege to pay out rageous property and car tax... and do not forget the state income tax... which we do not have here... I have found I pay much lower overall raxes here in TN

Seymour area is very pretty.... FWIW

Thanks, Sako. That's what I was thinking and what I have found through what little research I've done personally..

Once you boil it all down, the tax numbers look pretty good overall.
Boyds Creek area is nice. Its grown a lot since I first started delivering out there years ago. You have Seymour close to go grocery shopping at, you can go up 66 into Sevierville if you wanna raise your blood pressure and the gun laws here are about as good as you can get. If they are out near the river, the fishing is half bad either.
My 100 acres is in Greenbelt, and it does make a huge difference in property taxes. However, for the 80 acres of Lincoln County and the 20 Acres in Giles, the tax bill is almost the same. Here's the difference- - - -Lincoln County has a wheel tax- - - -Giles doesn't. Every time Giles County tries to pass one, the porch apes in public housing vote it down. That puts all the burden of supporting the police, ambulance service, and other county services squarely on the backs of us property owners. I'll gladly pay a little more for license plates, as long as LaQuetha and Tyrone have to shell out the same fees for those blinged-out Escalades with the 24" spinner wheels parked in the projects!
Jerry
Generally speaking, What can be expected for the cost per sq ft to build?
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Generally speaking, What can be expected for the cost per sq ft to build?

This will be interesting.

Large growth area with Smokey Mtn Gateway 10-15 miles south, a lake and Knoxville 25 miles west.

Lots of retirees moving into the area that includes Boyds Creek, Seymour, Kodak and the lake.
Cant answer any questions myself.
Transplanted yankee since July of 90.
Not a "real Tennessean".

LOL!!!
Depends on the builder and what all amenities you want. I’m about to build in Maryville area, so I’m in the process of getting that figured out for the house we plan to build. I can definitely tell you what builders not to use and which are good in Seymour. My dad owned a roofing company and is a mason. I worked for 3 years as a trim carpenter while in school.

Property isn’t cheap in that area for East Tennessee. Plus the market in that area is still at peak pricing. ( we literally just closed on our house there September 23). Our house went on the market on a Tuesday at 7 pm. Had 13 showings by Friday evening with 8 offers, got more than asking price. We got way more than we should have for the house!

If he decides to self contract good luck, most subs are backed up and the wait is crazy if your not a contractor that keeps them busy( understandably).
Kevin, that's great info. Thanks!
Building costs are all over the map. You will hear many conflicting stories about construction prices and generally it boils down to what type of house you want and with what luxuries. A common way to lower to cost is the builder will lower your allowances for different areas such as floors, cabinets, carpet, etc. Then if you decide you don't like the cheap carpet in the budget it will cost you more. So make sure if you receive different quotes from different builders that you compare the allowances they are offering in the price.

We didn't shop the plans for our house around a lot so we may of overpaid a little. But the contractor we picked had a stellar reputation so we went with the first bid. We didn't mind spending money now because this is our retirement home and we have no plans of moving again. Our finished costs were $128 a square foot for a 2,250 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch home. This included:
Exterior brick and stone
Handmade custom cabinets inside
Walk in tiled master shower and a tub my wife had to have that cost $3,000 lol.
Granite counters in the kitchen, both baths, laundry room sink,
Huge front and back porches, both covered by the roof
$5K for the woodstove and hearth
Solid 36 inch wide oak doors throughout the house.
Built in oven and matching microwave and a top of the line 6 burner gas cook top.
8x8 walk in pantry with wall to wall adjustable shelving on three walls.
Storm doors with removeable screens that are replaced with glass in the cooler months.
Oversized 2 car garage attached to the house, both doors are 10 feet wide and garage is 30 feet deep and 30 feet wide. Ceiling mounted gas heater in the garage as well.
Recessed LED lighting throughout the kitchen and family room areas.
Heat pump furnace but once the temp drops down to about 40F it switches over and uses natural gas for fuel.
Bringing in water, gas, and electric lines 550 feet from the main road. All were buried.

The area we live in property sales seem slow. I have seen the same houses for sale a year later in the rural areas. But then again a house down the road from us was sold in a couple of weeks. It seems like the more land attached to the house the longer it takes to sell. The retirees are a steady flow in. I don't have a clue as to how fast stuff sells inside the town limits.

We built our house in the middle of 42 acres complete with a small lake. I guess when we die our son will have a difficult time selling the place:) But maybe by then he will recognize how nice privacy and being able to shoot a gun off your back porch and deer and turkey hunt within a 100 yard walk is. Plus extra points for being able to a leak anywhere you want smile
© 24hourcampfire