Home
Those of you thinking about moving to Wyoming might want to think again. Although we have no state income tax here, you get bent over the log for vehicle license plates.

Today, I got new , 1 year, plates for my 2004 Ram 3500 with the Cummins engine. This is a 15 year old truck. $285.00!! shocked My 2003 Ford F150 cost me #185.00 and my 2004 Buick LeSabre was $ 225.00. eek

You might imagine what a nice new vehicle would cost you to register, AFTER you pay the 6% sales tax. frown

No, better you should move to Portland. Or maybe Montana , I hear it's real nice up there. whistle
:Montana is my favorite, followed by Idaho and Colorado....
Geeze.

Thats pretty steep
About $75 here in TN in my county.
Pfffffttt....

I have my annual vehicle registration form right here in front of me.

2003 Dodge 2500 w/hemi

$347.00

Plus a required smog check that'll run 50 bucks (if it passes).
Originally Posted by slumlord

'78 Couriers don't count.
Just did a Toyota PU 2000 $170.00 2years and includes smog. Cheers NC
that ain't nuthin'. Friend of mine bought a brand new 2500HD last year and when he went to get the license plates and heard the cost, he told the lady that he wasn't there to make a house payment. Cost him in the neighborhood of $1600.
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Originally Posted by slumlord

'78 Couriers don't count.

can cheat a little on the courier

run the back roads and skip renewal for a couple of years a pop, fill out the affidavit swearing it's been broke down.

😄
Jnyork: Make up for that in the LOW cost of fuel, low property taxes, low real estate prices (except for Jackson Hole area!) and low crime rates!
Those kinds of things add up!
GO WYOMING!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Washington State use to be extremely high when it came to vehicle license. Then a guy by the name of Tim Eyman got an initiative placed on the ballot to lower the license fee to $35.00. Passed with flying colors. Washington figured a loophole around the $35.00 tab fee and started raising the license fees again. Eyman got another initiative on the ballot stating that license fees could be no more that $35.00. Passed with flying colors. Washington state started adding a weight fee to the tabs along with some other added fees and we are climbing back up the ladder with our license fees. Eyman has another initiative on the ballot this year to lower the tabs to $35.00 but the state is fighting it stating if we the people vote it in again that all road construction and state public transportation will be stopped because we will not have the money to build or repair our roads or pay for the free buses running around Puget Sound. All the road money goes to King and Pierce counties anyhow so who gives a rip.
Just did my wife's car here in AZ and it is 3 year old Avalon. Cost $650 for two years.
I used to live in Wyoming and have to say that is the only state where I truly didn’t mind paying taxes as I felt the state was fiscally responsible with the money and I could count on it going for things that I was on board with. I got more out of living there than I paid in taxes that’s for sure
Brand new 2019 honda crv here. 50 bucks. That's about the one nice thing About ohio.
$29 for ANY vehicle in Cumberland County TN. Anything means from a beater truck to a million dollar RV. And no emission testing or inspections.

Here in the land of Zion.........

$160 for my '14 Tacoma......

$60 for my '02 Chevy 2500 HD crew

$60 for my '05 Tacoma

hell........$60 for my '18 Kawasaki Teryx

these are tags including property tax......tax being deducted come April 15th
Vehicle registration, sales tax, income tax....one way or another, they are going to get their piece.
The only thing that matters here is vehicle class.
Car,
Motorcycle,
Trucks go by weight.

I like the states that tax your vehicle.
Virginia, I believe, makes you pay a % of value.
Might as well live in Commiefornia.

How's the sales tax there in WY, as bad as in renegade's location?

Oh Gus, where are you? We've got a good taxes and fees thread going here and need your advice.

Geno
Tikkanut: The VarmintWife and I own 7 vehicles (one is a motorcycle the others have 4 wheels).
Our list and fees to follow:

2,009 Yamaha Motorcycle: FREE every year - permanently registered
1988 Cadillac: FREE every year - permanently registered
1996 Dodge diesel 4x4: FREE every year - permanently registered
2,003 Chevrolet Malibu: FREE every year - permanently registered
2,007 Chevrolet Malibu: FREE every year - permanently registered
2,007 Jeep Liberty: FREE every year - permanently registered
2,016 Ford Expedition: $382.00 in 2,019

Once a vehicle (car truck!) is 10 years old it is eligible to be permanently registered and no more tag fees are paid!
Travel trailers and motorcycles are permanently registered initially and only once is the vehicle excise tax paid (tabs).
Long live Montana!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
In our county we get income, property and high car tags too
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Tikkanut: The VarmintWife and I own 7 vehicles (one is a motorcycle the others have 4 wheels).

Once a vehicle (car truck!) is 10 years old it is eligible to be permanently registered and no more tag fees are paid!
Travel trailers and motorcycles are permanently registered initially and only once is the vehicle excise tax paid (tabs).
Long live Montana!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You suck. LOL
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Long live Montana!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I see no Toyota's..............
I’ve looked at the rest of the taxes in Wyoming and they’re very low. The tag fees are on the higher side but they’re not outrageous. I think Wyoming comes in at second lowest in the nation in total tax burden.
Nevada has high vehicle registration fees also, based on the vehicles value. Like Wyoming, it is worth it not to be in a place east of S. Dakota.

mike r
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

That's right... friend bought a new F250 (decked out model... everything)... Had to pay the sales taxes on $75k-$80k... AND a few months later got hit with $5k-$6k in Personal Property Tax.

Personal Property Tax is an EVERY YEAR kinda thing, but goes down as the vehicle depreciates.

I LOVE my 1986 Cherokee... only $50 a year in PP, plus $50 for inspection/emissions plus Tags... Yipee!
Originally Posted by CashisKing

That's right... friend bought a new F250 (decked out model... everything)... Had to pay the sales taxes on $75k-$80k... AND a few months later got hit with $5k-$6k in Personal Property Tax.

Personal Property Tax is an EVERY YEAR kinda thing, but goes down as the vehicle depreciates.

I LOVE my 1986 Cherokee... only $50 a year in PP, plus $50 for inspection/emissions plus Tags... Yipee!

Bunch of money grubbing bastards...

I'm moving to Wyoming!

Correction... $4.13 in PP per $100 in value... so the $80k truck ONLY cost him $3,304 a year in PP.

Sorry... I got carried away at being pissed off.
WY is a bargain when you consider the full range of government taxes. Cherrying picking is not a valid measure of cost. I must say no income tax is a big positive factor. I wish they'd build more townhouses/condos in Cody.
Idaho:
'08 Dodge 2500 diesel $64
'18 Toyota Highlander $100

But we make up for it...wolf tags are $11 and we can buy 5 of them. Now that I'm a senior, a hunting & fishing license is $12 and an elk tag is $16.
That’s been a “burr under my saddle blanket”, since 1985! We are presently spending almost $2 K per year on license plates. And about 2 or 3 years ago, these money grubb’n bastids started charging an excessive weight tax, of $95/year x3. So now, we get nailed on our truck, 5th wheel and our class c motorhome! Hell, if we want to drive a gravel road (which we do) in our Polaris Ranger, that plate is around $90/year (I think)! memtb
I don't want to live there, just swing by to steal game animals every so often.
All y’all whining about the cost to license in WY or bragging about the cheap cost in other states, does WY send a separate tax bill on the vehicle, or is that tax part of the license fee? I think the property tax is paid as part of the license fee. Whereas other states send you a tax bill every year, and you get to pay license fees as well, but separately. Wyoming, last I checked, eats less in one bite than other states do in all those nibbles...

$75 bucks a vehicle here.

Minimal public land compared to Wyoming.

Correction... $4.13 in PP per $100 in value... so the $80k truck ONLY cost him $3,304 a year in PP.

Sorry... I got carried away at being pissed off.

See your sig line... We are all doing it... We bitch and pay, rather than band together and stop the abuse. No wonder we get no respect. We allow them to steal from us literally at gun point(think not? Don’t pay, and armed men come and take your schit...) year after year, and expect them to care what we want? Yeah right.
My 2016 F350 Powerstroke is $600 for plates this year and it was over $1000 last year.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I wish they'd build more townhouses/condos in Cody.

Why would you want to come to Wyoming and live in a dang condo? Where you gonna keep your horses, trailers, campers , 4-wheelers, 3 big dogs and so forth? whistle

Kentucky bends you over every year, but not as bad as that.
I got me Z tags ...pay the 2 year fee of 100bucks add 20bucks..done for as long as u own it ....add in trailers an such...= big bucks saved !
Originally Posted by jnyork
Those of you thinking about moving to Wyoming might want to think again. Although we have no state income tax here, you get bent over the log for vehicle license plates.

Today, I got new , 1 year, plates for my 2004 Ram 3500 with the Cummins engine. This is a 15 year old truck. $285.00!! shocked My 2003 Ford F150 cost me #185.00 and my 2004 Buick LeSabre was $ 225.00. eek

You might imagine what a nice new vehicle would cost you to register, AFTER you pay the 6% sales tax. frown

No, better you should move to Portland. Or maybe Montana , I hear it's real nice up there. whistle
I checked WY years ago and found the same thing. So I crossed that state off my 'possibly move to' list a long time ago..
Sorry about your car/truck tag costs, however, almost every retirement guide list WY in the top three States to retire in due to low tax's and cost of living for seniors. Kiplinger's ranks WY as the friendliest State to retire in overall and the second best due to tax's. Alaska, due to oil revenue, is number one.
Just renewed my 04 Tahoe, $45 in Virginia
I wish they'd build more townhouses/condos in Cody.

Why would you want to come to Wyoming and live in a dang condo? Where you gonna keep your horses, trailers, campers , 4-wheelers, 3 big dogs and so forth? whistle

Forty plus years of homeownership is enough. I am ready to let someone else do all the work. Vehicle tags are the least of my concerns.
Originally Posted by ro1459
Sorry about your car/truck tag costs, however, almost every retirement guide list WY in the top three States to retire in due to low tax's and cost of living for seniors. Kiplinger's ranks WY as the friendliest State to retire in overall and the second best due to tax's. Alaska, due to oil revenue, is number one.

These retirement surveys always crack me up. Our property tax in Alaska was quadruple what it is compared to TN on similarly valued property. And these surveys fail to mention the extreme cost of living, utilities, housing, and insurance. We left Alaska in 2013 so that was the last time we paid auto insurance up there. But in 2013 we paid almost triple of what we pay today in TN on similar, but newer model vehicles. Our monthly utility bill is 1/3rd of what it used to be, We loved calling Alaska home for over 35 years but cheap to live there it isn't.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

These retirement surveys always crack me up. Our property tax in Alaska was quadruple what it is compared to TN on similarly valued property. And these surveys fail to mention the extreme cost of living, utilities, housing, and insurance. We left Alaska in 2013 so that was the last time we paid auto insurance up there. But in 2013 we paid almost triple of what we pay today in TN on similar, but newer model vehicles. We loved calling Alaska home for over 35 years but cheap to live there it isn't.

EVERY state is going to get THEIRS, one way or another.
$75 here plus an annual vehicle inspection (no emissions, just working lights, tires in good shape, etc) for a whopping $7 fee.
You have to get your jalopy inspected in Texas?

Geebus!
I have often wondered why on these types of threads people still post how things are where they live.
And no clue were they live? What is the point?
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
I have often wondered why on these types of threads people still post how things are where they live.
And no clue were they live? What is the point?

Have often wondered about the same thing.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho:
Now that I'm a senior, a hunting & fishing license is $12 and an elk tag is $16.

That alone is worth moving out of Commiefornia to Idaho.

Nice new veichles and old veichles cost the same in Pa. because they go by GVW.
WY is a bargain when you consider the full range of government taxes. Cherrying picking is not a valid measure of cost. I must say no income tax is a big positive factor. I wish they'd build more townhouses/condos in Cody.

Stay where you're at, we're full up.

From 2017:

According to Kiplinger’s list, South Dakota has ranked the top state for retirement. The cost of living is 4% below the national average, health care costs are below average, and it is one of the most fiscally sound states in the nation.

The state of Hawaii is the second top state for retirees. Even though the cost of living is high above the national average, health care costs are very affordable. The beautiful beaches, high household income levels, and a healthy population all contribute to this state’s ranking on Kiplinger’s list.

The state of Georgia is ranked number 3 in this poll. The cost of living in this state is 7% below the national average. The warm weather and being a tax-friendly state for retirees is why Georgia is ranked so favorably.

The top 10 states in Kiplinger’s 2017 poll are:

South Dakota
Hawaii
Georgia
North Dakota
Tennessee
Alabama
Virginia
Florida
New Hampshire
Utah

From 2017:

According to Kiplinger’s list, South Dakota has ranked the top state for retirement. The cost of living is 4% below the national average, health care costs are below average, and it is one of the most fiscally sound states in the nation.

The state of Hawaii is the second top state for retirees. Even though the cost of living is high above the national average, health care costs are very affordable. The beautiful beaches, high household income levels, and a healthy population all contribute to this state’s ranking on Kiplinger’s list.

The state of Georgia is ranked number 3 in this poll. The cost of living in this state is 7% below the national average. The warm weather and being a tax-friendly state for retirees is why Georgia is ranked so favorably.

South Dakota
Hawaii
Georgia
North Dakota
Tennessee
Alabama
Virginia
Florida
New Hampshire
Utah

Why does poverty rate factor into the equation?
Oregon use to be cheap, but with our communist democRATs in Potlandia, they are always active on how to try to nickle and dime ya to death. with piddly fees...a lot of other places are a lot worse, yeah.... but government always loves the word TAXES...

they can't get enough of them...... but one thing is constant....there are still only 100 pennies in a dollar... and there isn't a government agency in this country, that doesn't think, more and more of those pennies belong to them, instead of you....from every dollar you make....

and for every penny we pay toward some sort of tax, the less and less we get for it in return....

it all goes to pay for more and more welfare 'benefits' for the financially and socially irresponsible citizens as a way for politicians to get more and more of those type to get folks out and "vote for me!!!".....
Originally Posted by RJL53
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho:
Now that I'm a senior, a hunting & fishing license is $12 and an elk tag is $16.

That alone is worth moving out of Commiefornia to Idaho.

Yes, Idaho is a very nice place for Commiefornians. whistle
Originally Posted by Redneck

From 2017:

South Dakota
Hawaii
Georgia
North Dakota
Tennessee
Alabama
Virginia
Florida
New Hampshire
Utah

I just moved to South Dakota...sort of...put their plates on my motor home without having to be there.
Sorta headed there
Originally Posted by Redneck

From 2017:

South Dakota
Hawaii
Georgia
North Dakota
Tennessee
Alabama
Virginia
Florida
New Hampshire
Utah

I have moved to South Dakota...sort of...Have put South Dakota plates on my motor home without having to go there.
I sort of have started to go to South Dakota to spend one overnight and pick up my new driver’s license next month when my Missouri license expires.
Missouri tags are a little cheaper but I will lose their damn income tax.

Sioux Falls is not that far from Kansas City, but weather permitting, I will head on west to Rapid City/Box Elder and get all my remaining South Dakota stuff done at America’s Mailbox. Get registered to vote.

Two of my favorite places are Custer State Park and Wind Cave Nat’l Park. Hang out there until the cold winds and winter weather pushes me south.
Down to Utah and Arizona to see some old friends.
Home to Missouri for Christmas with family.
Works for me.
© 24hourcampfire