Home
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Lights Out! - 10/09/19
[Linked Image from s.hdnux.com]

Hurry up and bring in some firewood boys!

Please use caution at stop lights until they get the generators set up.

Lights going out in California to defend from fire.

Sounds like a real mess.

Good Luck!
Posted By: achadwick Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Link?
Posted By: RickyD Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Too bad chit don't glow.
Posted By: DubThomas Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
It's commiefornia so I'm not too sure anyone on here really gives a schitt.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Goodness there's a lot of traffic in LA!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by DubThomas

Seriously? There's a lot of great folks and great places in Cali. More bullchit than many prefer but it's not universal.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by achadwick
Link?

I've heard it[several times] on radio news this morning.
Due to wild fires or possible....
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
California.

Isn't that like unloading your gun because it might go off and scare someone?grin

PG&E Corp. PCG 1.10% has begun to shut off power to hundreds of thousands of people in California as it seeks to prevent its electric lines from sparking more deadly wildfires, in what is believed to be the largest such pre-emptive blackout ever.

The outages are poised to hit areas across the northern and central parts of the state, including the famous wine country region, the rural Sierra Nevada foothills and portions of Oakland and San Jose. The utility is implementing the shut-offs as strong, dry winds are expected to hit the region, increasing the risk that its equipment could start fires.

PG&E said early Wednesday the shut-offs will occur in three phases, the first of which began affecting about 513,000 customers from around midnight local time. These outages will be spread across 22 counties, the utility said, including Napa, Mendocino and Sonoma in the wine country region.

The second phase is set to occur around noon Wednesday, turning off service to approximately 234,000 customers in seven additional counties, PG&E said. These include Alameda, home to Oakland and Berkeley, and Santa Clara, whose largest city is San Jose.

A third phase is being considered for the southernmost portions of PG&E’s service area, affecting approximately 42,000 customers, the company said. Specific locations were still to be determined, it said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pg-e-w...stomers-due-to-wildfire-risk-11570513569
Posted By: rifletom Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
How the homeless folks gonna know where to poop?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by achadwick
Link?

Good call.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-w...-power-outage-map-wind-fire-14501332.php

Sounds like a mess.

PG and E got permission to pass on the huge cost of settlements from the last major fire.........so its either NO POWER or huge costs to the rate payer.

Sucks!
Posted By: spencer516 Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
The bad thing is the power company is calling it a planned outage. That means they take no responsibility for damage done. Better not own an ice cream shop.
Originally Posted by spencer516
The bad thing is the power company is calling it a planned outage. That means they take no responsibility for damage done. Better not own an ice cream shop.

Or have a freezer full of meat.

Or need to run your water well to water livestock.

Or have a small fire you could put out with your water hose, but can't because they cut the power to your well...

Funny thing is, they think that they are SO smart because all the earth's problems is caused by mankind...

Too stupid to know that nature will start it's own fire when nature deems it necessary. whistle
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
I'm betting that improper use of generators will cause a lot more fires than the power companies.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Well, one of the reasons for the fires, is the California government will not let them clear the brush under the power lines or even to clear sections of forests and brush for fire breaks. They wanted everything "natural".
Posted By: RufusG Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
The reason this is happening is state law makes the utility liable for fire damage even if not proven negligent. Which is why PGE is bankrupt in the first place. Another case of CA showing how they're smarter than everyone else. If utility doesn't turn off the power they are literally betting the company, and they already lost that bet once.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Ok, if it's for fire safety, someone more informed than myself
answer this. When they have to respond to structure fires, will there
be water in the hydrants. I suppose the answer is, depends.

If my neighbors car catches on fire in the garage, there is no water
available, it's windy as hell, and the whole neighborhood goes up,
fire takes off crosscountry......

Aren't they going to be responsible for everything after the initial event?

Someone mentioned generators, I no several folk who need constant
power for medical devices. Others (myself with c-pap) who need power
at least a few hours a day. If a fire starts because you shut my power off,
And a medically necessary generator started it, aren't you liable?

Equipment failure, accident, storm, probably not.
But here , you just decided to throw the switch.

This WILL test the civil laws.
Originally Posted by RufusG
The reason this is happening is state law makes the utility liable for fire damage even if not proven negligent. Which is why PGE is bankrupt in the first place. Another case of CA showing how they're smarter than everyone else. If utility doesn't turn off the power they are literally betting the company, and they already lost that bet once.

Yeah, but they got permission to pass all those costs on to the rate payer.

So really, isn't it in the people's best interest to have the power shut off? Suffer now or pay later? Or maybe suffer and pay right now....I dont know.

Crappy situation anyway.

Good luck California. You guys sure as schit dont need another Paradise......
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Typically, there would be enough head pressure for fire ops.

If not there should be stand by generation capacity in place.

At least for us...we dont need power to fight fire....typically we dont have power anyway during a emergency event.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I don't believe that is the case, they may have been able to pass some costs through but they still took a brutal beating. I'll find a link.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19

The water districts have their own generators and will keep water flowing or so they say. Supposed to have our power turned off by noon today because of the high winds/fire hazard. They say the power will be off for 2 days but it will take another 3 days for them to check their system for any issues before it's actually turned back on if that makes sense, bunch of flugging wingnuts.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Ok, if it's for fire safety,

Nope... it's all about drumming up support for both higher taxes and rates...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19

Someone mentioned generators, I no several folk who need constant
power for medical devices. Others (myself with c-pap) who need power
at least a few hours a day. If a fire starts because you shut my power off,
And a medically necessary generator started it, aren't you liable?

Equipment failure, accident, storm, probably not.
But here , you just decided to throw the switch.

This WILL test the civil laws.

Most municiple water systems are designed with elevated storage tanks and standpipes. For pressure and storage volume. It would be poor planning to design a system on a free ball pump set up.

Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by RJL53

The water districts have their own generators and will keep water flowing or so they say. Supposed to have our power turned off by noon today because of the high winds/fire hazard. They say the power will be off for 2 days but it will take another 3 days for them to check their system for any issues before it's actually turned back on if that makes sense, bunch of flugging wingnuts.

The winds ain't gonna do schitt....sustained winds forecast at 15-30 MPH gmafb....
Posted By: logger Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
It is interesting to consider the environmental impact of thousands of generators being fired up and running. Generator sales must be going through the roof in this part of California. We are certainly seeing that in this part of Oregon as our local utility (Pacific Power) has said that they will also cut off power if our area faces a red flag event. Fortunately, our rainfall in September (5") has been much higher than average.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by rifletom
How the homeless folks gonna know where to poop?

Where they always do. On the sidewalk. No problem. grin

L.W.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
This has NOTHING to do with fire danger. It's ALL about the tort law industry. I have friends who lost their home in the Camp Fire, at Paradise and they were inundated by illegal calls from lawyers representatives hustling business to sue PG&E after the fire. The ongoing legal claims far exceed actual property damage..you know the song, pain and suffering, emotional distress etc.
Planned power outages, are PG&E's response, hoping public outrage over the planned outages result in a change in CA law protecting utilities from tort jihad in the future. Kabuki theater...in the billions of dollars. Isn't it always about the money in the end?
Posted By: Higginez Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

The winds ain't gonna do schitt....sustained winds forecast at 15-30 MPH gmafb....

35-55 mph
Originally Posted by flintlocke
This has NOTHING to do with fire danger. It's ALL about the tort law industry. I have friends who lost their home in the Camp Fire, at Paradise and they were inundated by illegal calls from lawyers representatives hustling business to sue PG&E after the fire. The ongoing legal claims far exceed actual property damage..you know the song, pain and suffering, emotional distress etc.
Planned power outages, are PG&E's response, hoping public outrage over the planned outages result in a change in CA law protecting utilities from tort jihad in the future. Kabuki theater...in the billions of dollars. Isn't it always about the money in the end?

^^^^^^ This.
Wonder if it's all an exercise and test for Smart Meters on mass scale?
Posted By: poboy Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Also, this a.m.it was said gasoline in Cali was over $5.00gal., so just stay home in the dark and celebrate.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Wonder if it's all an exercise and test for Smart Meters on mass scale?

I don't believe they would shut it down at the meter. The Paradise fire was caused by a transmission line. But I am no expert and could be wrong
Posted By: erikj Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19

That's the way I see it.

Are cell towers offline? nope.
Posted By: Dess Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
So how are the green electric cars supposed to recharge? Maybe they have a stash of AA and AAA batteries from the remote.
Originally Posted by Dess
So how are the green electric cars supposed to recharge? Maybe they have a stash of AA and AAA batteries from the remote.

Solar
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I don't believe that is the case, they may have been able to pass some costs through but they still took a brutal beating. I'll find a link.

I can't find anything saying the psc is letting them include the 2018 fires in their rates. Claims are estimated at over thirty billion. Do some searches on "inverse condemnation" to see how it works.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by poboy
Also, this a.m.it was said gasoline in Cali was over $5.00gal., so just stay home in the dark and celebrate.

Would be a good time to own a liquor store / candle shop.

Seriously though, that is a schitty situation out there.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Liberals can and do screw up everything they touch! 50 years ago Calif. was the place to be. Opportunity was unlimited, great mountains , coast , desert etc.... one of the largest economies in the world.
Crazy wealth......

Now it is transitioning into third world before our eyes..... great job Dems
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by irfubar
Liberals can and do screw up everything they touch! 50 years ago Calif. was the place to be. Opportunity was unlimited, great mountains , coast , desert etc.... one of the largest economies in the world.
Crazy wealth......

Now it is transitioning into third world before our eyes..... great job Dems

All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown)
And the sky is grey (and the sky is grey)
I've been for a walk (I've been for a walk)
On a winter's day (on a winter's day)
I'd be safe and warm (I'd be safe and warm)
If I was in L.A. (if I was in L.A.)
California dreamin' (California dreamin')
On such a winter's day
Stopped into a church
I passed along the way
Well, I got down on my knees (got down on my knees)
And I pretend to pray (I pretend to pray)
You know the preacher like the cold (preacher like the cold)
He knows I'm gonna stay (knows I'm gonna stay)
California dreamin' (California dreamin')
On such a winter's day
All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown)
And the sky is grey (and the sky is grey)
I've…
Posted By: 1minute Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Just seems odd to me. Other than an occasional blown transformer or tree taking down a line, I've never heard of power lines that were just sitting there causing a fire. Now lightning, car wrecks, railroads, or maybe a Boy Scout, yes. Is this something a politician thought up or what?

One would think high income folks down in those zones would carry some insurance.

As to the most significant impact, business essentially shuts down. One can't purchase anything or buy fuel. I suppose every office worker will spend the day sitting in the dark looking at their blank computer screen. The expense of a shutdown like that should easily cover the cost of a potential fire.
Posted By: Dess Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Tonight will probably be the first time most of them have ever seen a sky full of stars. Sad really.
Posted By: dvnv Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

35-55 mph

Thinking 35-55 is 15-20 mph less than the wind that started the fires. There is some truth in the tort post. PG&E is killing 2 birds with one stone, playing it safe and making a point about the liability laws. I don't think this wind is enough to warrant the shut-off..., but it would cost big $s to be wrong.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by Higbean

^^^^^^ This.

100%
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by logger
It is interesting to consider the environmental impact of thousands of generators being fired up and running. Generator sales must be going through the roof in this part of California. We are certainly seeing that in this part of Oregon as our local utility (Pacific Power) has said that they will also cut off power if our area faces a red flag event. Fortunately, our rainfall in September (5") has been much higher than average.

Before I retired and moved back to Nevada I worked for a propane company in Red Bluff. When recently talking to them they told me they've been slammed with tank sets and pipeline installs for generator setups the last six months with no end in sight.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by DubThomas

I don’t. Too busy concerning myself with what a retard from kerrville thinks
Posted By: sse Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm betting that improper use of generators will cause a lot more fires than the power companies.

you may be right, from one of my fave youtubers

Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Remember the 'brown outs' in Ca. back in the early 2000's. I was working out there and while eating breakfast at the motel one morning, the conversation among the patrons was the recent 'brown outs'. I was reading a newspaper, but could hear everything being said. Finally one of them asked me what I thought. I dont imagine I told them what they wanted to hear..... I said that they were the ones who voted not to build power plants. They were going to buy their power from other states. Now that they hadn't paid the other states for the electricity they had used and the other states were cutting off their supply, they needed to learn to live in the dark. Also told them I was from La. and didn't feel the least bit sorry for them. If they wanted, I'm pretty sure La. would sell them some electricity.

They just stared as if they couldn't believe what they were hearing. I went back to reading my newspaper.
HA!

Just heard PG&E has come out and stated the reason for the outages is climate change!!!!

TFF
Posted By: HawkI Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Most of the population being affected is large swaths of Liberal strong holds.

But hey keep the on voting for Demonrats to run things. LOL!!!

Enjoy reading all the suppositions in the thread.

Locally you can bet if Repukes were in charge the entire National Media would be in Kommiforina attacking from all angles how they could let this happen. Not a peep so far even on Fox that Ive seen or heard.

Even the local stations that are in the affected areas are providing cover to the Demonrats by reporting almost nothing on how this is affecting people.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Agenda 21 training for the people.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19

So far so good, haven't lost po
Posted By: sse Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
LOL
Hehehehe!
Posted By: Steve Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by 1minute
Just seems odd to me. Other than an occasional blown transformer or tree taking down a line, I've never heard of power lines that were just sitting there causing a fire. Now lightning, car wrecks, railroads, or maybe a Boy Scout, yes. Is this something a politician thought up or what?

One would think high income folks down in those zones would carry some insurance.

As to the most significant impact, business essentially shuts down. One can't purchase anything or buy fuel. I suppose every office worker will spend the day sitting in the dark looking at their blank computer screen. The expense of a shutdown like that should easily cover the cost of a potential fire.

From my admittedly poor memory I recall that the Camp fire was blamed on a combination of sagging power lines that touched trees due to a hot spell and demands for power (again due to the hot spell) heating up the lines (I^2R loss?).
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
This is what you get when politicians keep rates so low the company can't afford to do proper engineering and maintenance. some of the terrain in CA makes it damned expensive. And then soak the investors for the cost of resulting damage.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
I²C loss is why the V is so high. Else we'd have flaming birds. More likely to burn a transformer because when load increases there's no money to improve the lines.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Lights Out! - 10/09/19
Brilliant solution, just simply brilliant.
© 24hourcampfire