Home
Posted By: SFCSNOW Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19
Any of you all have a fat tire bike? Do you hunt off of it or just recreational fun?

I bought my first one this summer and really like it. My only issue is riding trails in the dark. Even with a decent headlight, the occasional rut or limb catches me by surprise.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by SFCSNOW
Any of you all have a fat tire bike? Do you hunt off of it or just recreational fun?

I bought my first one this summer and really like it. My only issue is riding trails in the dark. Even with a decent headlight, the occasional rut or limb catches me by surprise.

FWIW, I found that a light that was mounted low, not on my helmet, worked better for showing trail obstacles. It produced shadows that I'd be able to see. With the light mounted on my helmet, the light source was close enough to my eyes that the shadows it produced could not be seen.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19
A fat tire bike is about the only kind of bike I don't have. I'd probably have one if I didn't live in suburbia. Use two lights. I broad beam one angled down and a focused beam for lighting up the path further ahead.
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

FWIW, I found that a light that was mounted low, not on my helmet, worked better for showing trail obstacles. It produced shadows that I'd be able to see. With the light mounted on my helmet, the light source was close enough to my eyes that the shadows it produced could not be seen.

Obviously Scott does more than walk and chew gum.
Don't look for many more replies to come along, though.
Posted By: SFCSNOW Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19
Makes sense. I’ll look into rigging one on my bike. Thanks
Posted By: Theeck Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19
I don’t have a fat bike but I have a couple mountain bikes. I have a Trek Fuel EX 29er that I mounted 2.6” tires on. It’s not like those 4” tires but it is grippy. Regarding the night riding, I use two lights if riding a serious trail. I use a 1200 on the bars (2 beams) and a 700 on my helmet. With good lights, you will be able to see those limbs.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19
Makes sense. I’ll look into rigging one on my bike. Thanks

Look at what other folks are recommending too. My night time trail riding at speed is dated. LiPo and high power LEDs were still in the future. It was NiCads and Halogens back then.

Best of all though, were the few days a month during the full moon. Just forget the lights, ride on known trails at slower than normal speeds and just enjoy the quiet and solitude. Midnight mountain bike rides were awesome.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19

snow bike ??
Posted By: SFCSNOW Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut

snow bike ??

For me, no. Trials I ride range from improved dirt roads to cattle trails that get nasty during extended wet periods.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/09/19
I've had a fat tire for years and really enjoy it.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by Theeck
I don’t have a fat bike but I have a couple mountain bikes. I have a Trek Fuel EX 29er that I mounted 2.6” tires on. It’s not like those 4” tires but it is grippy. Regarding the night riding, I use two lights if riding a serious trail. I use a 1200 on the bars (2 beams) and a 700 on my helmet. With good lights, you will be able to see those limbs.

The guys who race across the Alaska tundra every year always win on 2.5 or 2.75" tires.
Posted By: SFCSNOW Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
I enjoy the smoother ride of the larger tires and I run them with low tire pressure. My bike doesn’t have a full suspension.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19

I just bought a mountain bike yesterday. I would like to try a fat tire bike,but figured this would be a start. Would I need different rims to mount 2.5" tires?
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by xxclaro

I just bought a mountain bike yesterday. I would like to try a fat tire bike,but figured this would be a start. Would I need different rims to mount 2.5" tires?

Rims, probably not. I run a 2.3" tubeless on the front, with a 25mm wide rim. I'd not hesitate to try a 2.5" for grins. But will you be able to run 2.5" tires in the rear of your bike without rubbing on the chainstays?

Good point.....I better check. Haven't looked the bike over too much, it's kinda cold and snowy right now but should be nicer in a few days.
Posted By: hanco Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
Fat tire bikes ride nice!
Posted By: JohnGlenn Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
I know it is a bit of a departure from your original post. Did you consider an electric fat tire bike when you bought your fat tire? If I buy a bike for hunting it will be an electric fat tire. Recently started researching them and seem pretty damn cool for not much more than I paid for my standard mountain bike. My guess is the lights are also better....but I have never ridden one.
I'm definitely looking at the electric ones! I bought this used one to try out and see if my ideas work,and if they do an e-bike is gonna be next. I have just under 50 000 acres of public land in the form of grazing reserve that is within 1/2 hour drive, but it is foot, bike or horseback access only till November 1. Thinking an ebike might be just the thing.
Posted By: weagle Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
Fat tire bike? I just bought this one. I'm in the process of decking it out with a rear rack, scabbard and an anchor point to pull a game trailer. Also have the mud tires to put on it.

Yamaha TW200. In most of the country you can find a nice, clean low mileage one for under $3K or an older one for $1500. They are supposed to be pretty much bullet proof, We'll see. Plus they are street legal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JohnGlenn Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
I like that as well weagle. Nice bike. Just a little stinkier and noisier than what i was thinking. Now if they start making an affordable electric motorcycle...someday that will be an option.
With the current battery technology, I think a hybrid would be very doable. It would be nice to flip over to stealth mode.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by weagle
Fat tire bike? I just bought this one. I'm in the process of decking it out with a rear rack, scabbard and an anchor point to pull a game trailer. Also have the mud tires to put on it.

Yamaha TW200. In most of the country you can find a nice, clean low mileage one for under $3K or an older one for $1500. They are supposed to be pretty much bullet proof, We'll see. Plus they are street legal.

I presume this is a mistake. It's a '14 TW200 with 3000 miles listed for $75.
https://missoula.craigslist.org/mcd/d/missoula-2014-yamaha-tw200-rnt/6996097083.html

[/quote]
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

https://missoula.craigslist.org/mcd/d/missoula-2014-yamaha-tw200-rnt/6996097083.html

[/quote]

Mine is 2013 with 2300 miles, but I guess I overpaid by $2300 smile
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

[/quote]
It's a rental. $75 a day.
Posted By: JGray Re: Fat tire bikes? - 10/10/19
Shopping for a new mountain bike a couple years ago, I initially thought I wanted a full suspension bike though was (and still am) intrigued with the fat bikes. I ended up with a Trek Stache which is kind of in between the two - 'mid-fat' so to speak. It runs 29+ 3" wide tires at lower pressure (+/- 10 psi), and has a suspension fork with hard tail. I'm very happy with it but still get an itch a couple times a year to try a fat bike...
© 24hourcampfire