Home
Had them in the house growing up as a kid but don't really know if that was an okay thing or a really bad thing. Have a couple extras and thinking about it while making preparations for upcoming cold weather. Read stuff online and it's about 50/50. What do you guys think?
Posted By: Szumi Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/11/19
I used one, it didn't kill me. K1 costs too much now.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/11/19
Long as you got a blue flame
Posted By: Gus Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/11/19
we've used them.

often sold as "emergency" heat.

different grades of kerosene i believe.

i dunno. with little kids might be needed.

for adults, just wrap up in blanket, jumpsuit.

would i use one, yeah. would i be comfortable?

Posted By: slumlord Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/11/19
Keep the wick low, trimmed clean.
Posted By: GBOB Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/11/19
Use them in a pinch.
As stated above , not as economical as they once were...
Posted By: hanco Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/11/19
We had them, have a couple at the deer lease in the cook shack, nobody sleeps in there.
Originally Posted by Szumi
I used one, it didn't kill me. K1 costs too much now.

If you can find it.

Most here prolly don't even know what 1K is.
Ventilation is your friend, along with a CO detector.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/11/19
I'd use one in a pinch, not while you might drop off to sleep. As Mike said, ventilation is necessary.
Originally Posted by ironbender

I read that. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have a window open. Idk. I use them in my shop every winter but my shop is also an improved rickety old shed with lots of "natural "ventilation". Ha! Was thinking about putting one in the bathroom of the house to help the space heater since that's the coldest room in the house. Might just buy another infrared. Eden pure.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/11/19

Used them temporarily for quick heat a few times during winter power outages.

Never had any problems other that some residual scent of kerosene that lasted a few days after in the general area as well as clothing.

The larger 18,000btu ones put out quite a bit of area heat.

Don't know why but they seem to radiate a more satisfying warmth than traditional forced gas or electric heat does.

Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'd use one in a pinch, not while you might drop off to sleep. As Mike said, ventilation is necessary.

Hence the CO detector. That stuff will give ya a nice long nap.
Used them in the equipment barns when I worked in trenching anbd underground construction years ago, big salamanders really noisy and the kerosene stink would drive you out.
Any type of Non-vented petroleum heaters are asking for trouble.

They are dangerous, and should be outlawed.

Even with a “blue” flame, they can be burning inefficient, and putting out dangerous amounts of Carbon Monoxide.

The CO detectors in stores are all junk. You need a “good” LOW LEVEL CO detector to alert you before it gets to a dangerous level.

Low level CO has been attributed to SID (sudden infant death) syndrome, Parkinson Disease and can bring on a heart attach in the elderly.

Non-vented heaters or gas logs can get bumped, knocked around in transport, and move the burner / flame away from where it was located when built, and start producing high level CO, “even with a BLUE FLAME".

The old in-wall natural gas heaters they use to put in bathrooms / homes would put out around 65 PPM CO.

Fire departments will vacate a building, and ventilate it once it hits 35 PPM CO, so let that sink in for a second while you think about the old in-wall heaters putting out 65 PPM CO or any other type of propane heater attachments or kerosene that claim they are safe, THEY'RE NOT.

They are DEATH waiting to find another victim.

Gas ovens can be just as bad.

Sears, a long time ago, used to offer CO testing for their ovens. They “stopped” when they discovered their ovens were emitting dangerous levels of CO instead of doing the right thing and recalling them.

Ladies would stand over them cooking dinner, and when it came time to eat, mom wouldn’t be hungry or might have a slight headache. Gee, I wonder why, after standing and breathing dangerous levels of CO for an extended period while cooking dinner.

What about the baby she might be holding on her hip while cooking dinner?
Posted By: TomT Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
"Ventilation is your friend, along with a CO detector."

Here here! I'd hate to wake up dead (channeling Yogi Berra)! -TomT
Posted By: vapodog Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
For less than $300 you can get a 30,000 BTU propane vent less heater and it don't require electricity.....I'd far rather do that than buy Kerosene and keep a window open..
Originally Posted by TomT
"Ventilation is your friend, along with a CO detector."

Here here! I'd hate to wake up dead (channeling Yogi Berra)! -TomT

^^^This^^^
We had one when I was a kid, in the 70’s. I can remember my dad buying the kerosene at the gas station. Is that normally where one bought kerosene?
My folks had one when i was a kid. The kind the took the long rectangle metal tank. Filled it up and then turned upside down.

Finally they moved on to hank hill’s propane amd propane accessories.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
Some of you guys are thinking of the Knipco style heaters made for heating outdoor work spaces, shops etc.

That isn't what the OP is talking about.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
Either way, care should be taken with any kind of gas source, temporary heat. Ventilation is key, even with propane.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This bad boy is what I’m talking about ( or similar). All 10k btu’s of goodness.

Auto strike didn’t work. Had to tilt the globe and light with match.
I had a Sears just like this when my wife and I rented an old farm house back in early 80's.
We always kept windows closed. It was Minnesota!
She died of cancer in 2011 I feel pretty good go figure.
whelennut
Posted By: joken2 Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19

These type work well too in the right location where heat can be dispersed 360° safely and also are rated at 23,000btu output now.

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Had them in the house growing up as a kid but don't really know if that was an okay thing or a really bad thing. Have a couple extras and thinking about it while making preparations for upcoming cold weather. Read stuff online and it's about 50/50. What do you guys think?

If you're thinking of the free-standing ones with a round wick, they're dangerous as hell. Lotsa folks had them in deepest, darkest Appalachia when I was growing up, but all tbe houses around were old and drafty which is probably the only reason no one died. We never had one. We just shoveled more coal into the stove.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
We had one when I was a kid, in the 70’s. I can remember my dad buying the kerosene at the gas station. Is that normally where one bought kerosene?

A lot of gas stations depending on location used to have both kerosene and white gas (naptha) pumps.
Not one like this:

[Linked Image from acmetoolstore.com]

Kerosene comes in a couple forms/grades. The "at the pump" grade is the least pure and should NEVER be used for unvented indoor heaters even with the window open. People did it all the time as they were/are unaware.

https://staroil.co.uk/what-you-should-know-about-different-grades-of-kerosene/

Indoor heaters Require 1K Kerosene and that "pure" grade is never sold at the pump, it is sold in bottles of gallon jugs and it is very expensive.
Originally Posted by stevelyn

A lot of gas stations depending on location used to have both kerosene and white gas (naptha) pumps.

But never 1K which is what these heaters require to operate within safety guidelines.
Originally Posted by ironbender

CO detectors are required in new home construction. They are usually a combo unit that doubles as a smoke detector and a CO detector.

One must be placed within 10 feet of bedroom doors and mechanical areas.

In a remodeling situation if a wall is opened up, then code dictates that that floor must now have a Smoke/CO detector installed.

It's easy guys, just go to your local big box store or Washington Post Amazon and purchase a couple Smoke/CO combos to replace your existing single smoke detectors.

Indoor heater or no, it's a good idea to do it now.
Originally Posted by joken2

These type work well too in the right location where heat can be dispersed 360° safely and also are rated at 23,000btu output now.

I use that kind in my garage when it drops below 20 degrees. It works great and puts out quite a bit of heat.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
If one is running an unvented flame of any kind indoors for sure have a carbon monoxide detector. Even then don't risk it in sleeping quarters. Is one willing to bet his life on an electronic device? If one develops even the slightest of headaches, shut it down and get to fresh air immediately. CO has a much greater affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen, so ones hemes are quickly saturated with CO and cannot adsorb oxygen. CO really hangs on, so it's a slow process for ones system to get back to normal where it can pick up O2 again.

One does not get a redo with life, and there's still sh-t I want to do.

Cookie uses a Little Buddy to knock the chill off in our dome tents. Even with it's supposed safety systems and the tent's meshed panels, it's never on for more than 5 minutes.
Originally Posted by 1minute
If one is running an unvented flame of any kind indoors for sure have a carbon monoxide detector. Even then don't risk it in sleeping quarters. Are you willing to bet your life on an electronic device? If one develops even the slightest of headaches, shut it down and get to fresh air immediately. CO has a much greater affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen, so ones hemes are quickly saturated. It really hangs on, so it's a slow process for ones system to get back to normal where it can assimilate oxygen. One does not get a redo with life.

Why "if running an unvented flame"?

Why not bring your house up to fire/safety codes and put one in regardless if you have an open flame heater or not.

Money well spent.
https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-210260...ative=165953&creativeASIN=B00PC5S0PA
Posted By: 1minute Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19

There are no free rides, and with only a few exceptions (like maybe nitro-methane, burning magnesium under water, and explosives) all that burns on our planet consumes atmospheric oxygen. Methane, ethane, propane, butane, kerosene, alcohols, gasoline, wood, coal, etc are all carbon based. If the combustion residues/gases can escape our enclosed space via a chimney or vent of some sort, the bad stuff leaves ones enclosure and atmospheric air of the typical composition seeps in via unsealed avenues with life being good. If there is no avenue of escape, those toxins accumulate in our room until ones flame is literally starved to death. When O2 begins to get short, combustion keeps going, but it will generate CO as opposed to the normal CO2. Life ends.

Put a lighted candle in a jar and screw on the lid. Ones flame does not last long.

That's why with even a wood stove we have a chimney and an intake to bring in outside air.

I'm old and recall a time when power was out for days due to a heavy snow event. The old man brought a burning charcoal grill inside as a heat source. I also remember getting weary and suffering a severe headache. Headaches are an extremely rare event for me. We're lucky the whole family lived through that night.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19

I use one just like that to heat a small workshop I have when it gets really cold. It's got a big electric heater, but the kerosene heater heats up a lot faster and is warmer. I buy kerosene at the local farm store. It's pricey, but I don't burn much, so it's not too bad.

Originally Posted by steve4102

Kerosene comes in a couple forms/grades. The "at the pump" grade is the least pure and should NEVER be used for unvented indoor heaters even with the window open. People did it all the time as they were/are unaware.

Indoor heaters Require 1K Kerosene and that "pure" grade is never sold at the pump, it is sold in bottles of gallon jugs and it is very expensive.

K-1 grade Kerosene most certainly is sold "at the pump" at gas stations. Not many have it anymore but it still is at some. It is stored in separate tanks and pumped through different independant pumps (clearly marked K-1) than Diesel and home heating fuel oil.

But never 1K which is what these heaters require to operate within safety guidelines.

Not many do offer it anymore but below is a link to a list of a few brand name gas stations that offer K-1 "at the pump" at some locations and I know of few more locally owned private branded stations that still sell it "at the pump", as well.

(Matter of fact there were lines of people at local stations with K-1 pumps waiting their turn to fill kerosene cans during the lengthy widespread power outage in winter ice storm of 2009 -- I was one of them.}

https://firstquarterfinance.com/gas-stations-with-kerosene-near-me/
Originally Posted by 1minute

There are no free rides, and with only a few exceptions (like maybe nitro-methane, burning magnesium under water, and explosives) all that burns on our planet consumes atmospheric oxygen. Methane, ethane, propane, butane, kerosene, alcohols, gasoline, wood, coal, etc are all carbon based. If the combustion residues/gases can escape our enclosed space via a chimney or vent of some sort, the bad stuff leaves ones enclosure and atmospheric air of the typical composition seeps in via unsealed avenues with life being good. If there is no avenue of escape, those toxins accumulate in our room until ones flame is literally starved to death. When O2 begins to get short, combustion keeps going, but it will generate CO as opposed to the normal CO2. Life ends.

Put a lighted candle in a jar and screw on the lid. Ones flame does not last long.

That's why with even a wood stove we have a chimney and an intake to bring in outside air.

I'm old and recall a time when power was out for days due to a heavy snow event. The old man brought a burning charcoal grill inside as a heat source. I also remember getting weary and suffering a severe headache. Headaches are an extremely rare event for me. We're lucky the whole family lived through that night.

Like I said.

Why not bring your house up to fire/safety codes and put one in regardless if you have an open flame heater or not.

K-1 grade Kerosene most certainly is sold "at the pump" at gas stations. Not many have it anymore but it still is at some. It is stored in separate tanks and pumped through different independant pumps (clearly marked K-1) than Diesel and home heating fuel oil.

Not many do offer it anymore but below is a link to a list of a few brand name gas stations that offer K-1 "at the pump" at some locations and I know of few more locally owned private branded stations that still sell it "at the pump", as well.

(Matter of fact there were lines of people at local stations with K-1 pumps waiting their turn to fill kerosene cans during the lengthy widespread power outage in winter ice storm of 2009 -- I was one of them.}

See if it is dyed red?

The first grade is designated as 1-K. This is pure, high energy version that is slightly yellow in color to clear. By weight it has a maximum content of sulfur of 0.04 percent. This makes it possible to burn this substance without having a flue or other venting method. It does not produce a number of fumes or impurities and residence should remain safe from air quality related concerns.

One very important thing to note, however, is that this is hardly the case with options that have been dyed red. Even if they fall within this same grade, they are in no way to be considered pure. They will produce far more fumes and impurities when burned, and should not be used in areas that lack flues or other acceptable methods of venting.

Posted By: cra1948 Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
The best unvented kerosene heaters still produce noticeable odor and they all produce carbon monoxide. Just my opinion, but it’s only September. I would do whatever is necessary to install an outside vented system of some kind, be it kero, propane or wood, before I went into winter planning on heating with an indoor, unvented kerosene heater.

See if it is dyed red?

The first grade is designated as 1-K. This is pure, high energy version that is slightly yellow in color to clear. By weight it has a maximum content of sulfur of 0.04 percent. This makes it possible to burn this substance without having a flue or other venting method. It does not produce a number of fumes or impurities and residence should remain safe from air quality related concerns.

One very important thing to note, however, is that this is hardly the case with options that have been dyed red. Even if they fall within this same grade, they are in no way to be considered pure. They will produce far more fumes and impurities when burned, and should not be used in areas that lack flues or other acceptable methods of venting.

[img]https://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/kero-pump-1-jpeg.137192/[/img]

[img]https://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/image-jpg.140779/[/img]

[img]https://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/kero-pump-2-jpeg.137191/[/img]

[Linked Image from s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Elkslayer,

So what is a “good” CO monitor? Would you give us a link?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
Jesus H, for the geniuses on here that supposedly get their internet off of the ionosphere, I didn't realize burning K1 kerosene was such kryptonite to some.

Used those round heaters with K1 back in the 80s before any snowflakes needed a CO detector.

Long as you don't have a dumbass little ADHD bed wettin homeschooler crashing his tri cycle into it, youre good to go.

Run it for 3 hours when you get home from work while eating dinner a d watching some TV and turn the fugger off. No one ever died that I knew.

If youre running a gasoline generator in the garage or dragging your Weber kettle into the living room, yeah,,,youre a goddamm moron
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Kerosene heaters indoors? - 10/12/19
Used one of the round kerosene heaters for years and it worked great. Got a little odor but not much. Run it like Slummy said and it worked fine.

And Slummy, that new pic you got sucks.
Originally Posted by achadwick
Elkslayer,

So what is a “good” CO monitor? Would you give us a link?

https://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com/pro/index.cfm?pid=1663

https://www.trutechtools.com/DEFEND...IzQrW8cOaM8o00JLPbJm7pLtdqIaAhpCEALw_wcB

Read the very informative information at both links to "educate" yourselves on the UL-2034 junk sold through the box stores.

Example of the JUNK First Alert CO detector, UL_2034
Notice the UL-2034 on the back label?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8YP9CWek5I

Video on the top linked NCI 3000 Low Level Co detector.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgMBMN8BuQk

The National Fire Groups fought to have the levels “high” for UL-2034 detectors(box store detectors:First Alert, Kiddie, et. al), because if they did not, Fire Departments would be running so many calls, it would overwhelm them, and they couldn’t get to fires…even though CO can kill.

Government wins again, placing people’s lives secondary.

© 24hourcampfire