Home
Posted By: 700LH LE Welfare Check - 10/13/19
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/13/7698...droom-in-response-to-open-structure-call

A white police officer fired through the window of a black woman's home early Saturday and killed her after responding to a call that a neighbor placed about an open front door, authorities in Fort Worth, Texas, say.

Around 2:25 a.m., officers responded to an "open structure call" made by a neighbor to the police department's nonemergency number. Inside the home, Atatiana Jefferson, 28, and her 8-year-old nephew were playing video games.

Body camera footage released by the police shows the officer outside the home, looking into Jefferson's bedroom window and shouting, "Put your hands up! Show me your hands!" before firing a single bullet that killed Jefferson.

Kyev Tatum, a pastor and community activist who was on the scene shortly after the shooting, told NPR that the neighbor who called the police was worried about the welfare of Jefferson. He said Jefferson may have had her front door open for a reason.

"This was probably one of the first days that we had cool weather in Fort Worth. This was a cool evening. I'm sure she allowed the door to be open to air out the house, to get some fresh air in the house," Tatum said.

The concerned neighbor, James Smith, told local television station WFAA that he never intended for an aggressive law enforcement response.

"No domestic violence, no arguing," he said. "Nothing that they should have been concerned with, as far as them coming with guns drawn to my neighbor's house," Smith said. "There wasn't any reason for a gunshot that I know of," he said. "She wasn't a threat."

James Smith said he saw the lights on and front doors open at his neighbor’s home overnight. He said he called a non emergency number for a wellness check. Smith said minutes later he heard a gunshot. @wfaa

Civil rights lawyer Lee Merritt said Jefferson was a pre-medicine graduate of Xavier University of Louisiana and was working at the time in pharmaceutical equipment sales.

"Her mom had recently gotten very sick, so she was home taking care of the house and loving her life," Merritt said.

According to a police news release, when the officer was searching the perimeter of Jefferson's house, the officer noticed a person inside and standing near the window, which police say was perceived as a threat. That is when the officer drew his weapon, ordered Jefferson's hands up and shot.

Authorities say that when they entered Jefferson's home, a gun was recovered from the bedroom — the area where police shot and where Jefferson was pronounced dead. Officials did not say whether Jefferson was holding a weapon at the time the officer fired at her.

Tatum said Jefferson's having a weapon should not have justified the use of deadly force.

"If you hear some noise in your backyard early in the morning when you're with your 8-year-old nephew, well of course anyone in their right mind is going to try to protect themselves and others, especially a child," Tatum said. "But the officer reacted so quickly and never identified himself as a police officer."

also reported on FOX News.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fort-worth-texas-police-officer-woman-killed-welfare-check
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/13/19
Hmmm. Fort Worth Police Department.
Same department a few months back where an Officer killed another woman during a welfare check when her lapdog barked at him.

Never have heard what happened to that Officer.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/13/19
There is an old saying about a hammer and a nail..
Posted By: 700LH Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Posted By: jimy Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
We need cop proof roomes.better trained cops,and unarmed cops till they get their head in the game,
Posted By: Dess Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
She was cited for "resisting arrest" posthumously.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Amazing lack of anything resembeling intelligence. Why not just roll up with the car lights on, lights flashing, and knock on the door? It was supposed to be a welfare check not a search and destroy mission.
Posted By: greydog Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
If there was ever a case where a cop should be charged with murder, this is it. There is no way this was anything but murder. GD
Posted By: hanco Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
That cop made a terrible decision, he and his family will suffer because of it!
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Who is vetting the vettors??
Posted By: stevelyn Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
I know you can't put any trust in much of what the Propaganda Corps puts out, but how in the hell do you justify shooting someone through a window on a call like that without even first investigating the reported reason you're there in the first place?
Posted By: RickyD Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
He didn't even get the s in hands out before he murdered the home owner. He needs the needle.
Posted By: rimfire Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
What if she shot the cop thinking he was about to break in. She would be in jail on murder charges.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Originally Posted by rimfire
What if she shot the cop thinking he was about to break in. She would be in jail on murder charges.

Yeah, but she didn't.
Posted By: 700LH Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
The white Fort Worth police officer accused of shooting a black woman inside her home over the weekend has resigned, Interim Police Chief Ed Kraus announced Monday.

Atatiana Jefferson, 28, was gunned down early Saturday by an officer who'd been summoned to her Fort Worth home to conduct a welfare check by a neighbor who reported seeing Jefferson's front door open. Bodycam footage released by police showed two officers canvassing the property before one shouted, "put your hands up, show me your hands," and fired through a window.

Kraus on Monday identified the officer involved in the shooting as Aaron Dean. He said Dean was placed on detached duty and stripped of his badge and firearm after he was served with his written administrative complaint yesterday.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fort-worth-police-officer-in-shooting-investigation
Posted By: Quak Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
FTP

This is the problem with poorly trained, poorly paid, militarized, sociopath cops.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
This is a really bad shoot. Cop gave her 1/2 second to respond and he pulled the trigger. DA has to file serious charges, probably manslaughter on this cop.

Couple this with the White psycho bitch cop in Dallas who murdered the black guy inside his own apartment. What kind of nitwits are being hired for Texas police these days.
The kind who want to work for poor pay in dangerous situations. What kind of “talent” can we expect. It’s a job that for the most part is only attractive to those seeking authority
Posted By: Dess Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
He may have graduated the police academy, but he was sorely lacking in street smarts.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Poor white trash and black folk have legitimate reasons to feel the way they do about PIGS !
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Thank God I live in an area where an "open structure" call doesn't exist. I don't know where the key to my house is, when we bought the house the seller didn't have a key either.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Poor white trash and black folk have legitimate reasons to feel the way they do about PIGS !

Well...I’m neither and I’m certainly never happy to see them
Posted By: jorgeI Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Just what we need, another blanket cop hating thread...
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Well...I’m neither and I’m certainly never happy to see them

Just a few weeks back Jase Robertson from Duck Dynasty told his story of a recent traffic stop by a Louisiana state trooper. He was car number eight in a hundred car FUNERAL procession. His treatment is indicative of many PIGS.

I think its episode 24 of the Unashamed podcast.
They arnt all bad...but a smart man plays the odds
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
If somebody is snooping around my house at 2 am, rest assured, I would be inside and I would have a pistol in my hand, a .44
The snooper wouldn't see me, however, because I would have all the lights off, so I could see him and he couldn't see me.

I normally support law enforcement but this is bull****. This guy murdered this gal and he needs more than 10 years in the State Pen to think things over. What a dumb ass.
There was a time when I supported law enforcement...but have been conditioned to not trust them...by their actions and attitudes
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Originally Posted by Quak
There was a time when I supported law enforcement...but have been conditioned to not trust them...by their actions and attitudes

I support the institution. I mistrust the individual.

P
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
If somebody is snooping around my house at 2 am, rest assured, I would be inside and I would have a pistol in my hand, a .44
The snooper wouldn't see me, however, because I would have all the lights off, so I could see him and he couldn't see me.

I normally support law enforcement but this is bull****. This guy murdered this gal and he needs more than 10 years in the State Pen to think things over. What a dumb ass.

This^^^ all day long. I’ve even made it a point to tell officers I’ve interacted with what a crock a lot of the static directed at cops is (BLM, etc) but this was murder

I believe I read that he’s already resigned and the police chief was going to fire him if he hadn’t. Glad the union wasn’t circling the wagons for him
already.
Posted By: Starman Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
They despatched SRT for a non-emergency call welfare check.

Why not first go to the concerned neighbor who called to explain more?
why not ring the doorbell and announce yourself at the lights on property?

No it's seems SRT only had a straight up tactical roll mindset approach, cause they
parked out of sight and went snooping for some direct surprise action.

Just the way police handled the shooting post incident,
telling that the officer "perceived a threat"...then conveniently providing a photo
of the handgun in the home.
then refusing to answer questions-give details about the "threat' or the handgun.

Police transparency they called it...LOL ...more like setting a contrived bias
in favor / defence of blatant reckless police actions.

WhY not reveal where the gun was found in relation to the window and deceased?
why not tell that the deceased was licensed to carry?
wHy not say whether responding officer claimed to see a weapon yielding target?

This tells us that you cannot trust the individual, group or chain of command in LE.

BUT don't forget the vast majority of 'alll the good cops' in the system,
you know ..all the tight lipped ones who wont publicly call out their fellow cop.
they, like their union prefer to stay silent.

but when a cop gets shot they are quick to unite and speak out - squeal like stuck pigs.
Posted By: Hastings Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Amber Geiger made a terrible screwup, but I do believe she thought she was at her own apartment. This officer knew he was at someone else's house and if he is that scared he ought to take up quilting or something besides policing.
Posted By: Tracks Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
Every one of us wants to live to go home after work.
However,most of us don't get paid to assume a certain amount of risk.
If the job is too scary, get the hell out and do something else.
The job of LEO is a lot less dangerous statistically than they would have you believe.

Drive around talking on a cell phone and collecting insta-tax is not invading Omaha beach regardless of what a typical cop would lead you to believe
Yet they have a lot of sycophants...a guy on this site once insinuated we should respect and be patient of police because they may or may not be ex military
Posted By: Starman Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/14/19
The CF was told that you will better appreciate cops when they attend the next bank robbery in progress

its supposed to comfort ordinary folk in their homes that cops are protecting a mega rich corporations money
that's insured....... cops role is so over-rated in preventing money loss from banks, since the amounts of money
taken at gun point from banks is extremely trivial compared to the enormous amounts lost to fraud
by both in-house and outside entities..Banks would be happy if all they lost was gun point robbery money.

bUt you can't stop some deluded career cop types from imagining how special and important they see themselves as.

Posted By: 16bore Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
This is what you get for $34k and a high school diploma.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
That douchebag cop on here from Missouri will be along shortly to tell you this woman must have deserved it.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
$56,000 starting pay in fort worth.
Posted By: Hastings Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
Someone once said that government at best is a necessary evil and at worst an intolerable one. Prime example here.
Posted By: Quak Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by Wtxj
$56,000 starting pay in fort worth.

Cost of living in that area? Honest question. That’s a reasonable wage in my area for a husband in a 2 income family. But I’m a long way from the big D.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
Have no idea. Houses $200sq ft
I live west of FW 8 miles in a different county. House I would like min. $500.000 on min of 2 acres. House has to be placed on the very middle of that two acres.
Posted By: smarquez Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Amazing lack of anything resembeling intelligence. Why not just roll up with the car lights on, lights flashing, and knock on the door? It was supposed to be a welfare check not a search and destroy mission.

The list of police departments that I worked around as a fireman is a mile long. Every welfare check I ever saw the cops on was a simple door knock, a lot of time meeting the RP on scene before they knocked. I never saw one shooting from a welfare check. This is just stupid negligence.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
He’s in jail charged with murder now.

Fort Worth police officer jailed on murder charge after resigning in shooting that killed woman in home

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fort-worth-police-officer-in-shooting-investigation
Posted By: 700LH Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
Bailed out in under 4 hours.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/10/14...-dean-charged-murder-atatiana-jefferson/
Posted By: Mike_S Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
I would not be a cop today for any amount of money. Anywhere.
Posted By: MikeReilly Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Just what we need, another blanket cop hating thread...

I think it's fine if people criticise bad cops for doing bad things as long as they can realise it's not indicative of all cops behavior, or even a majority. Kind of like criticising criminals of any identifiable origin for being bad people without indicting everyone else of that same identifiable origin.

But to comment on the OP, it was a terrible decision by the officer responding and it's resulted in charges being laid. I don't think we need to polarise the discussion by labeling it 'cop hating'. This cop fuqt up.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
I have nothing against cops, in general. However, this guy screwed up BIG TIME and cost a lady her life!

Whatever happened to home/castle, and all that? Do they not teach that now?
Posted By: Starman Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by MikeReilly
I don't think we need to polarise the discussion by labeling it 'cop hating'. ...

MIke, best to take into consideration the rather limited perceptive ability of the fool who posted the word hate.
just recently was CCTV showing a person clearly getting shot in the chest, but he called it as being "shot in the back",
....Yes some CF folk really are that blind and stupid on regular basis.

Posted By: Pharmseller Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/17/19
The news is reporting that dispatch sent him on a burglary in progress, not a welfare check. Also, the victim had a gun in her hand and was pointing it out the window.

P
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/17/19
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
The news is reporting that dispatch sent him on a burglary in progress, not a welfare check. Also, the victim had a gun in her hand and was pointing it out the window.

P

That would make a little more sense, if that’s actually what happened.

Be interesting to see the actual dispatch call log.

I don’t trust anything I see printed in the newspaper anymore though. Or hear on the evening News.
Posted By: 700LH Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/17/19
P

So what if she did, and that has yet to be proven, she was in her own home completely legal, and the cop never announced he was there..

Reenactment of what happened

https://leakreality.com/video/10356...er-s-path-to-atatiana-jefferson-s-window

Posted By: Starman Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/18/19
The news is reporting that dispatch sent him on a burglary in progress,

The despatch was classified as an “open structure” call, a vague term that can mean anything from an abandoned house
to a possible burglary.

Also, the victim had a gun in her hand and was pointing it out the window.

out the window?...The window appeared fully closed, you can even see the flashlight beam effect on the glass,
with the officers projectile clearly shown to have penetrated the glass.
Posted By: shootem Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/18/19
TACTICAL. Drowning in TACTICAL. Be a hero, save the wold by gunning those that defy. Problem is, not enough that defy. Gotta look for them. Sneaky bastids. Pretending to be normal. Like they have Constitutional Rights or something. Fuque this. Don't pretend to be an ace at evaluating potential personnel, but LE depts MUST start looking for LE candidates that wish to serve not destroy. It ain't all Cowboys & Aliens. It's citizens that have a right to protection. All citizens ain't right, no doubt. But this is BS. Maybe shouldn't be extrapolating reactive actions from aggressive actions but if I had been in the room with the murder victim I would have been armed. And you can bet there would have been return fire. This was an active assault. Hang him.
Posted By: rem141r Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/18/19
wonder how come the dipschit that called for a "welfare check" couldn't get off his ass and check himself? i'll bet he is feeling real good about him self right now.
Posted By: Ringman Re: LE Welfare Check - 10/18/19
P

All he had to do to be safe was take a step back from where he came. I hope the woman's family nails Fort Worth.
© 24hourcampfire