Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Anyone Hunt With a 7.62x39? - 10/18/19
Got an upper coming. smile

I couldn't resist cheap ammo with hard hitting soft point bullets. Hogs mainly. Maybe a deer now and then...

Ranges I plan are under 150 yards.

Should be about like a 30-30 for that application...

Anyone been using one?

How's it work?
I used to hunt with a couple guys that slapped a synthetic stock on a Russian made SKS and hunted with 7.62 x 39 hollow points.

They shot many blacktail with those rounds. I've got one too, but it's way in the back of the gun safe.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Anyone Hunt With a 7.62x39? - 10/18/19
Lots of people around here have used them with good results.
There are several guys over on the CZ forums that hunt with a one of CZ's sweet little Carbines in 7.62X39.

They all seem pretty happy with the round.
Little people hunted me with that round for years. Didn't work out well for them. Some even had plastic stocks and grips.
Nothing wrong with the 7.62x39 in the 30-30 envelope. At all.

I've got a couple of SKS's (more than a couple, actually) that really responded well to the usual accurizing tricks. Only one will kill prairie dogs (inside of 200) and it heats up too fast, but I look forward to the day I have a chance to go after hogs with any of my three "good" SKS's,

Then there is the CZ. The bottom line there is that careful handloading gets your under an inch at 100. So that's on my bucket list, to get a CZ in Soviet. Even if it doesn't drive tacks, then I'll have a donor for a 6 or 22 Grendel/Russian, maybe even a PPC with fireforming.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
There are several guys over on the CZ forums that hunt with a one of CZ's sweet little Carbines in 7.62X39.

They all seem pretty happy with the round.

Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Nothing wrong with the 7.62x39 in the 30-30 envelope. At all.

I've got a couple of SKS's (more than a couple, actually) that really responded well to the usual accurizing tricks. Only one will kill prairie dogs (inside of 200) and it heats up too fast, but I look forward to the day I have a chance to go after hogs with any of my three "good" SKS's,

Then there is the CZ. The bottom line there is that careful handloading gets your under an inch at 100. So that's on my bucket list, to get a CZ in Soviet. Even if it doesn't drive tacks, then I'll have a donor for a 6 or 22 Grendel/Russian, maybe even a PPC with fireforming.

I'd love to have one of those CZ's! smile

I'll play with the round on my AR platform, and if I like it, I may check into getting the CZ...

Years ago, I bought one of the Yugo SKS's. I didn't keep it long. But it wasn't the cartridge's fault.
I have a mini howa in a 39 that I'm setting up for my son to use when he turns ten. I got several boxes of factory 123g tipped stuff from nosler for $10/box and once its shot I'll load the brass.

Bb
If your gonna do it , do it right ...
Arsenal SLR 100H type 3 AK47 milled.
Accurate as fugg with Wolf 123gr HP,s
Just gonna bring one 30rd Circle 10 mag.
All I need....
LOL!!!

Type 94 permit for 25 bucks to shoot 3 does a day here in Tn during Rifle season.
Slumlord has issues with invites on his place.
Get in one of the good valley,s or on one of the ridge lines with some terrian masking.
Im going full blown retard on does.
If a 8pt or better wider than his ears comes by he is dead also.
( always been our min for bucks)
Even though everyone else drops anything they see out their.
I wont stop shooting 3 does a day if the opportunity keeps presenting itself.
Until Slumlord says enough, I am killing every fughing doe I see up to 3 a day.
Gonna be an interesting opening weekend out their when all the
" If you build it they will come types" start hearing 3 to 5 aimed rounds as fast as i can squeeze em off dropping does.
Extra rounds for effect are a bonus also.
3 down, rounds left light up a fughing tree trunk...
LOL!!!
Give those slickheads out their a PHD in hunterology and run away at the slightest sense of danger.

Just ta keep them leeches out their from having any sucesss at all.
Thats the whole point.......
Fugga,s aint put 1 ounce of sweat equity into slumlords place ever.
But they always show up to hunt....

Coyotes are dead meat also....

[Linked Image]

Rene, you shot anything with it yet?

Or you gonna be looking for first blood?
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone Hunt With a 7.62x39? - 10/18/19
When my two eldest boys were young they each killed blackbuck with my CZ Carbine at a friends ranch outside Camp Wood. I killed a few hogs with it and culled a handful of WT does there as well. We used Wolf 122 gr Soft Points from the case of 1000 I bought back when I bought the rifle. Zero issues.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Looking for 1st blood with it man.
LOL!!!
Just paper, steel , rocks, concrete, soft balls , tennis balls , broken pieces of clay pigeons ect ect ect so far.
Rapid fire stuff, slow fire stuff, off bench and bags stuff, mag dump stuff, aimed 3- 5 rd rapid stuff.
Different shooting position stuff.
Ran about 1200 rds thru it since I got it
It is ready to rock....

Only place I am hunting with it is Slumlords place.
For the shear terror and shock effect.
When they starting hearing AK burst out their.
People are gonna schit their pants.

Not just the fugged up carte blanche invites on his place, but all the surrounding places that hunt the borders around his 250+ acres.
All hoping to draw deer off his place.

Fugg em all.
Let em eat fishheads.

LOL!!!
Originally Posted by renegade50

Looking for 1st blood with it man.
LOL!!!
Just paper, steel , rocks, concrete, soft balls , tennis balls , broken pieces of clay pigeons ect ect ect so far.
Rapid fire stuff, slow fire stuff, off bench and bags stuff, mag dump stuff, aimed 3- 5 rd rapid stuff.
Different shooting position stuff.
Ran about 1200 rds thru it since I got it
It is ready to rock....

Only place I am hunting with it is Slumlords place.
For the shear terror and shock effect.
When they starting hearing AK burst out their.
People are gonna schit their pants.

Not just the fugged up carte blanche invites on his place, but all the surrounding places that hunt the borders around his 250+ acres.
All hoping to draw deer off his place.

Fugg em all.
Let em eat fishheads.

LOL!!!

LOL. I’m picturing the Movie “Red Dawn” in my head now. 😜
Ballistics wise you're in 30-30 territory. Got a few SKS's, and I can handload 7.62x39 although I mostly use factory stuff. Haven't hunted with anything in that chambering yet but it gets spoken of favorably by those who's used it in that role. The CZ bolt gun in x39 is very interesting to me and the Ruger American Ranch Rifle is also available in 7.62x39. First x39 Ranch Rifle I ever saw in person was at a gun show. Picked it up and fondled it and almost bought it on the spot. Only thing that stopped me was thinking how it would be too similar to using my Marlin 30-30.
Posted By: Quak Re: Anyone Hunt With a 7.62x39? - 10/18/19
Those wolf soft points actually worked damn well. I used to buy them from cabelas 1000 at a time in a plastic ammo can for $89 every day price.

Worked great on whitetail and was cheeky enough for targets as well.
Originally Posted by Quak
Those wolf soft points actually worked damn well. I used to buy them from cabelas 1000 at a time in a plastic ammo can for $89 every day price.

I got 500 rounds of Silver Bear 125gr SP's to start with.

From the reviews they run really well in AR's and mushroom well.
Posted By: hanco Re: Anyone Hunt With a 7.62x39? - 10/18/19
That one round I don’t have.

I'd love to have one of those CZ's! smile

grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I put QD rings and an old leather military sling on it and dubbed it my "Battle Rifle" because it's as close as I'll ever come to owning an "Assault Weapon".

PS....I forgot to mention....I also have two magazines smile
Nice!

That one is in 7.62 Commie?

Both work well on hogs out of my Ruger American Ranch Rifle
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Both work well on hogs out of my Ruger American Ranch Rifle

Good deal!

I'm gonna warm it up on them!
No......Mackay Sagebrush did everything he could to talk me into the 7.62 but I just couldn't go there.

12 twist 223 shooting Barnes 70gr TSX....would probably work for hog and I already know it'll kill Deer.

Not sure how they'll work on Zombies or Antifer's......yet.

Antifers... grin
It should work.

I would just stay away from the steel bullet hollow points,even rocks have a hard time getting them to work.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ruger Mini-30-Custom 308 bore barrel.

125gr Nosler BT-28gr Accurate 1680---2500fps.---Honest 1MOA

I shot a lot of deer with this little peashooter as did all the young hunters at deer camp. It was a favorite for me and the young ens back in the day.

It will do the job out to 150 yards, but I keep it 100 or less.

I don't walk-n-stalk as much as I used to, in fact not at all, I am a stationary stand hunter these days and my area is open out to 250 yards so the Peashooter only comes out to play on range days and sits in the safe during hunting season.

I couldn't resist cheap ammo with hard hitting soft point bullets. Hogs mainly. Maybe a deer now and then...

Anyone been using one?

How's it work?

Depending...

Some of the 7.62x39 AR's are considered Jamo-Matics.

Mine is a Armalite complete rifle and never misses a beat. A buddy of mine has an upper, don't remember by whom, and it is far from reliable.

Good luck, mags are key to getting this round to function in an AR.
I used to shoot a hollowpoint round as well as a soft point in the 7.62x39. Good shooting round and way underrated IMO. Never had any issues with taking game with it. Reliable as all get out and pretty darn accurate to boot. Smoked a couple of piggies with my Chinese SKS as well as a few deer. Shot iron sights as well, and honestly felt quite comfortable out to 100 yards without the glass. Could never locate a scope mount for it that I really liked, so it got morphed into more of an assault type setup with a Tapco stock and mags. Thousands of rounds through it and it performs flawlessly.
Originally Posted by steve4102

I'd sure be pleased with that!

What rifle? The Armalite?
Barry,
Yes!
Had an old Colt carbine upper lying around that I'd bought cheap many years ago...slapped it on a new RR lower, Geissele SSAE trigger, and changed the hand guard to a FF DPMS. It shot about 1 1/2" with Winchester 123 gr. SP's. I started loading 123 TSX's over RL 7, in WW brass and the groups went to an honest 1"! I killed a lot of pigs in the first year with a Leupold 3.5x10x50mm and a Lightforce 170mm light. The following year I put a gen 3 D740 on it and the hogs have really suffered ever since!
The TSX is definitely the way to go for hogs!
Good luck! It's a great hog cartridge !
Posted By: hatari Re: Anyone Hunt With a 7.62x39? - 10/19/19

Anyone been using one?

How's it work?

It will do anythig a 30-30 will do for deer. I've taken several with an SKS. At ranges under 150y, it's effective. Not much else to say.

I'd sure be pleased with that!

What rifle? The Armalite?

The Ruger
I am shooting a Ruger America Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39. New Hornady cases, the Sierra 125 grain Pro Hunter bullet, and IMR4198 powder. Accurate, and zippy. Hope to shoot a deer next month with it.
Posted By: J23 Re: Anyone Hunt With a 7.62x39? - 10/20/19
I spent two seasons with a little CZ 527 Carbine with little 4x Burris Compact on top. I ran 125(123?) grain .310" Hornady VMax at about 2250 out of the short tube.

I shot 3 does and a smallish buck in two seasons at my buddies farm, filling the freezer. All under 100 yards. Bang flop on three of them, the forth died after literally taking 3 bounds and diving off a ridgetop and into a ravine. It took 3 guys, a four-wheeler with a winch, and about 100 foot of tow strap to get it out.

..but I digress...

Handy little booger. Efficient killer of deer and fun to shoot. Little noise. No recoil. It was a pretty accurate little set up too.

I regret selling that one.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Little people hunted me with that round for years. Didn't work out well for them. Some even had plastic stocks and grips.

Glad you made it back ok, DD.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am shooting a Ruger America Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39. New Hornady cases, the Sierra 125 grain Pro Hunter bullet, and IMR4198 powder. Accurate, and zippy. Hope to shoot a deer next month with it.

.311 or .308?

.311 or .308?

The new Rugers are supposed to have .311 bores. I haven’t checked mine. It’s accurate even with the cheap Russian ammo, though.
I just got back from my stand tonight with PPU 7.62x39 JSP in my stainless Mini Thirty. I love the x39 for whitetail brush hunting.

Anyone been using one?

How's it work?

Depending...

Some of the 7.62x39 AR's are considered Jamo-Matics.

Mine is a Armalite complete rifle and never misses a beat. A buddy of mine has an upper, don't remember by whom, and it is far from reliable.

Good luck, mags are key to getting this round to function in an AR.

Use ASC mags and you will be fine

Hank
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone Hunt With a 7.62x39? - 10/20/19

Indeed. My gun show price way back then was $79/1000...
I fitted an Adams & Bennett .308 bore barrel to a small ring Mauser action, chambered it for 7.62 X 39 and put it in a Fajen stock- - - - -my granddaughter got her first deer with it at age 12 using Hornady 130 grain spire points. She's 20-something now, and still hunts with it regularly. She also rides a Harley Sportster!
Jerry
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

.311 or .308?

The new Rugers are supposed to have .311 bores. I haven’t checked mine. It’s accurate even with the cheap Russian ammo, though.

Ruger used to have a Serial # search on their web site that would tell you what bore was used in the Mini-30. They may still have that available, I haven't checked for years.

That said, I was referring to his choice of bullet. Sierra has a 125gr .311 and a 125gr .308.

Several years ago when I was in search of a x39 bullet that was both accurate and would expand at the relatively slow velocities, I contacted Sierra about their 125gr Pro Hunter .308.
I was told that this bullet was designed for much higher velocities that the X39 could produce and that it "might" act like a full metal jacket. I shelved that bullet.

My son has shot a few Whitetails with his 300 Black Out using the Barnes Tipped-TX 300 AAC Blackout bullets.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017413778?pid=895245
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010410999?pid=614359

If I were starting over and looking for a Whitetail bullet in my x39, I would give this a shot.

.311 or .308?

getting 2550 fps and one inch / 100 yard accuracy with 25.5 grains of powder. I wanted to use CFE BLK but could not find any. I have two cans now, but have not worked up a load yet.

.311 or .308?

getting 2550 fps and one inch / 100 yard accuracy with 25.5 grains of powder. I wanted to use CFE BLK but could not find any. I have two cans now, but have not worked up a load yet.

Good luck, let us know how that bullet performs.
© 24hourcampfire