Home
Posted By: Bristoe I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
I never thought I would covet a disc so much. But I've got about a quarter acre on my little patch that needs the schitt disk'ed out of it and I want a disc.

I'm gonna drag one home directly.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Your back has discs. -Hint-
Posted By: TheKid Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
If you were out here you could probably literally find a little 7 or 8 footer for free. Surely you can round one up on the cheap in your area.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
I need one between L3 and L4.

Bb
Posted By: Bristoe Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by TheKid
If you were out here you could probably literally find a little 7 or 8 footer for free. Surely you can round one up on the cheap in your area.

I've been looking on Craigslist. They're fairly scarce around here. There's some big monster ones for sale. But 5 and 6 footers are hard to locate.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
need one for cooking fish and tripas.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
I knew you’d be a rancher.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Bristoe, I just found you a little 8' yuppie disk.

Make that ol' Ford grunt!

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listin.../john-deere-rwa?ST=kentucky&CTRY=usa

Kubota orange?

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listin...s-chalmers-2200?ST=kentucky&CTRY=usa
Posted By: BC30cal Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the weekend treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

While it's been a good long while since I spent an entire summer in front of a breaking disc, there are a few things that stuck with me that I'll attempt to articulate.

The disc I was pulling that summer was a breaking disc and was extremely heavy, so while it was only 18' wide, it required a tractor which had 150PTO HP/130 HP at the draw bar to pull the heavy rascal.

It absolutely and positively did break up old cattle pastures and sloughs however, which was the purpose of the exercise.

The disc blades on a breaking disc were serrated for lack of a better term, not rounded like a regular disc.

In between the disc blades are spools which I want to say were likely cast? Anyway they do crack and break so any used disc should be inspected carefully for sure, the frame, spools and disc blades are all susceptible to breakage.

That's all I can think of off the top of my semi-ancient memory tonight sir - my goodness that was 44 summers ago when I did that now that I think of it!

All the best to you this fall and good luck on your disc purchase whichever way you decide.

Dwayne
Oh hell,...I'm no rancher. I'm just a guy who bought a little patch of land that a hippie had grown a big ass fuggin' cane patch on.

I had the forest mulcher guy come out and chop it into mulch,.....but now I've got a foot thick layer of mulch on about a quarter acre.

I need to disc it to hell and gone so I can go over it with the zero turn mower when that damn bamboo sprouts up again in the spring.
Your a cane demo reconstruction rancher, boss
Plant some hay on it
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Stay away from the angle iron from discs. Go with square tube.

The old ford style clam shell bearings require less work.

I rebuilt 2 gangs on my 6 foot disc a couple years back. Shaft, bearings , a few disc, spacers. Almost $400.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Stay away from the angle iron from discs. Go with square tube.

The old ford style clam shell bearings require less work.

I rebuilt 2 gangs on my 6 foot disc a couple years back. Shaft, bearings , a few disc, spacers. Almost $400.

I know. I found one of those old Ford discs for sale for a few $350. But the discs are worn down to nothing. I checked into the price of the individual discs to fix it,..and somebody would have to give me the frame to make it worth fixing,.....about $23 per disc and it's got 16 discs on it. Considering the money and the labor involved,..it's not worth bringing home.
Posted By: ironbender Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Oh hell,...I'm no rancher. I'm just a guy who bought a little patch of land that a hippie had grown a big ass fuggin' cane patch on.

I had the forest mulcher guy come out and chop it into mulch,.....but now I've got a foot thick layer of mulch on about a quarter acre.

I need to disc it to hell and gone so I can go over it with the zero turn mower when that damn bamboo sprouts up again in the spring.

Can’t push it in a pile and burn it?
Originally Posted by ironbender

I set it on fire last week and though I was going to burn the whole county down.

It was like one of those old tire pile fires that's been burning for 20 years. The wind picked up and I liked to never got it put out.

I might light it up again after the neighbor cuts his soybeans. But not until then. If I burn up 200 acres of somebody's soybean crop there won't be nothing left for me to do but jump off a bridge.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Give a neighbor with a heavy disc a bottle of good sipping whiskey to come over and disc it for you.

Good heavy discs that'll actually do some work aren't cheap and aren't able to be pulled by an 8N.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Get some electric fence and some pigs.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Give a neighbor with a heavy disc a bottle of good sipping whiskey to come over and disc it for you.

I'd pay somebody more than that. The guy way up on the hill across the street is a fatcat that owns several hundred acres. I've never met him. But I occasionally see one of his hired men out working with some kind of big ass John Deere tractor.

I'd be more than happy to stick a couple of hundred dollar bills in his hand to bring it across the road here and disc that stuff up for me.

I just hate to ask. I don't want to be "that guy" that goes around asking the neighbors for favors.
Posted By: LJBass Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19

Good heavy discs that'll actually do some work aren't cheap and aren't able to be pulled by an 8N.

I would look hard at that option, since the neighbor has 200 acres of beans, he more than likely did conventional tillage at some point. Farmers don't sell anything, they just let it return to the earth.

Craigslist probably isn't the place to find a small disc. Nobody wants them, therefore they don't have value, and it's not worth the hassle to sell them. ^^^ See previous statement about farmers letting old equipment return to the earth. I know you are the "Do it Yourself" type, SO if you really want a small disc. Find a coffee shop with farmers and ask. Someone will have an idea.

Next you'll be looking for a telephone pole to use as a drag, You'll have a whole yard full of farm implements, and there won't be any denying the "rancher" moniker then.
Posted By: LJBass Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19

I'd pay somebody more than that. The guy way up on the hill across the street is a fatcat that owns several hundred acres. I've never met him. But I occasionally see one of his hired men out working with some kind of big ass John Deere tractor.

I'd be more than happy to stick a couple of hundred dollar bills in his hand to bring it across the road here and disc that stuff up for me.

I just hate to ask. I don't want to be "that guy" that goes around asking the neighbors for favors.

It's not a favor if money is involved. It's honest work for honest wages...
Originally Posted by LJBass

It's not a favor if money is involved. It's honest work for honest wages...

That's true. I need to go do that.
Posted By: kingston Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19

Is this the same guy that forbids fishing on his pond?
Posted By: viking Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
To bad you can’t find a one-way disc.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I appreciate you looking for me, Sam. But my little 8N won't pull them big sumbitches.
Originally Posted by kingston

No,...the guy with the pond is another guy. I met him recently. He's okay.

Strangely enough,..his last name is the same as my mother's maiden name,...and his ancestors came from Virginia,.....as did mine, of that name.

We're probably 9th damn cousins, or something.
Originally Posted by kingston

No,...the guy with the pond is another guy. I met him recently. He's okay.

Strangely enough,..his last name is the same as my mother's maiden name,...and his ancestors came from Virginia,.....as did mine, of that name.

We're probably 9th damn cousins, or something.

He SHOULD let you fish then.

You’re lying. Post photos or it didn’t happen.
(?)

Lying about what?
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the weekend treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

While it's been a good long while since I spent an entire summer in front of a breaking disc, there are a few things that stuck with me that I'll attempt to articulate.

The disc I was pulling that summer was a breaking disc and was extremely heavy, so while it was only 18' wide, it required a tractor which had 150PTO HP/130 HP at the draw bar to pull the heavy rascal.

It absolutely and positively did break up old cattle pastures and sloughs however, which was the purpose of the exercise.

The disc blades on a breaking disc were serrated for lack of a better term, not rounded like a regular disc.

In between the disc blades are spools which I want to say were likely cast? Anyway they do crack and break so any used disc should be inspected carefully for sure, the frame, spools and disc blades are all susceptible to breakage.

That's all I can think of off the top of my semi-ancient memory tonight sir - my goodness that was 44 summers ago when I did that now that I think of it!

All the best to you this fall and good luck on your disc purchase whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

I missed your post the first time. I was typing. I appreciate the information.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
I have a 26 foot Wishek disc.

Should be fine.
Posted By: Lennie Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
You will save money by hiring it done.
Posted By: slumlord Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
]do you the Rural King stores up in your area?

You could probably get an appropriately sized disc for $ 700-800$

Then it'd be yours if you want get into that old man type gardening lifestyle.

Might have to add some concrete blocks to it for weight.
Originally Posted by slumlord

$999,...5 foot.

Tractor Supply sells the same one for the same money.

I might go that route. I'd like to pick up a good used one that I can sell afterwards.

My plan is to go out there and drag it around every time I get bored. It would probably take me all winter to get it chopped up with any little disc that I can pull with an 8N.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Hire it done.
I am starting to understand that Bristoe and this cane patch are codependent.
No,...no codependant.

It's just that not many people have had a quarter acre of river cane 20 feet tall to deal with.

It's like that old science fiction movie, "The Blob".

It'll eat you if you don't kill it.
You would be lost without your cane patch and crummy water line.
You're grumpy when you're drinkin'.
If liquor doesn't make you jocular, you should give it up.
Posted By: TheKid Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
I’m no cane expert but I’m thinking the more you stir that schit around the bigger that cane patch is gonna get. Of course then you’ll always have something to do.
I’m no cane expert but I’m thinking the more you stir that schit around the bigger that cane patch is gonna get. Of course then you’ll always have something to do.

The way I understand it is,..you've got to keep cutting it until it gives up.
Its not ground breaking stuff.....pun intended????........what would you be without your windmill....er, I mean cane patch.

It may seem insulting to be distilled down to such a level.....but we all need something to keep us moving forward.

If you did not have a cane patch, you would need to invest in one.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Its not ground breaking stuff.....pun intended????........what would you be without your windmill....er, I mean cane patch.

It may seem insulting to be distilled down to such a level.....but we all need something to keep us moving forward.

If you did not have a cane patch, you would need to invest in one.

Guess what?

You're not wise beyond your years.
What would you have to talk about?

Digestive habits of yellow dog?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What would you have to talk about?

Digestive habits of yellow dog?

And your conversation tonight has some special significance?

I've got kids older than you,......smarter too. I don't feel the need to seek advice from them, either. They know enough not to offer any.

As mentioned,...they're smarter than you.
So its to be yellow dog then?
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19

That is a pretty good looking old AC disc, for a fifty HP tractor.

The 8N would struggle pulling half of that critter, and the 8N has no remotes to run the hydraulic cylinder.

Hell, I am not sure my 4020 would pull that JD. I know it won't with the 15.5x36 tires it has now. Maybe with new 17.9s.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

That is a pretty good looking old AC disc, for a fifty HP tractor.

The 8N would struggle pulling half of that critter, and the 8N has no remotes to run the hydraulic cylinder.

Hell, I am not sure my 4020 would pull that JD. I know it won't with the 15.5x36 tires it has now. Maybe with new 17.9s.
Your 4020 wouldn't pull an 8' finish disc? It should pull one twice that width fairly easily. My FIL has an 8N with a mounted disc of unknown make. I'd guess it to be 6 or 7'. Quite a few 4020's around here still running. My 930 Case would probably pull both those disc's at the same time if you could figure a way to hook them up.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
I have a JD five foot 3 point disc for the 8N. I filled the front 6.50-16 tires with calcium chloride so I could keep the front tires on the ground MOST of the time when the disc is in the air. The 8N, with a newly rebuilt good running engine will only pull that disc in soft soil because it has draft control to lift the disc when it loads up.

I pull an old seven foot offset disc (no tires) with the 4020. And have had to walk to the house many times for a second tractor, and the wife, to pull me out when the tractor spun itself down and got high centered in dry sandy soil.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by ironbender

I set it on fire last week and though I was going to burn the whole county down.

It was like one of those old tire pile fires that's been burning for 20 years. The wind picked up and I liked to never got it put out.

I might light it up again after the neighbor cuts his soybeans. But not until then. If I burn up 200 acres of somebody's soybean crop there won't be nothing left for me to do but jump off a bridge.

I'm no plant expert and damned sure no farmer, but I do know a thing or two about eradicating patches of certain kinds of invasive plants. It took 3 years to rid my property of maybe a quarter acre of knotweed. That bugger is fast-growing, resilient and unbelievably tenacious. Imagine a plant that can--and does--send shoots up that'll work their way up from below and punch *through* a paved driveway surface...

Anyway, I don't think just cutting and mulching/disking or whatever is going to solve your problem long term, as rhizomes will survive any chopping and will eventually continue to grow. As I commented before, you need to slash and burn then repeat as necessary. And stop fretting over setting the county ablaze already. Wait for a wx pattern that drops rain over the course of a few days, set up a contingency plan that addresses putting out any burn that might have a chance to spread, get your fuel on your target and toss a match. Take video, but just in case wear a disguise and toss in some false narrative done with a severe lisp or whatever: "As an Antifa Captain and champion for all causes of downtrodden minorities I hereby ignite this here confirmed KKK cane patch on behalf of all that is righteous!" Make sure your old lady can corroborate your alibi of you being in another county looking to buy Morgan some new fangled chew toy or something at the time of the conflagration.

Posted By: WillARights Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Call your fire folks and let them instruct you Stoe. On best day and time

They may even want to do for practice
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have a JD five foot 3 point disc for the 8N. I filled the front 6.50-16 tires with calcium chloride so I could keep the front tires on the ground MOST of the time when the disc is in the air. The 8N, with a newly rebuilt good running engine will only pull that disc in soft soil because it has draft control to lift the disc when it loads up.

I pull an old seven foot offset disc (no tires) with the 4020. And have had to walk to the house many times for a second tractor, and the wife, to pull me out when the tractor spun itself down and got high centered in dry sandy soil.
The old RWA is a finish disc or "wheel disc" and pulls way more easily than your offset. The offset would do a good job plowing up and cutting up the cane patch. The finish disc might. Assuming your 4020 is a diesel and has an engine in good shape, it would literally pull two of those 8' RWA's, unless you were trying to go through mud or the like. That calcium chloride will rust your wheels. I would drain that shixt out. Consider non-corrosive ballast or putting some weights on the front end instead. The offset disc is not for finish work nor is it an all-around disc. It is a heavy disc for plowing through wheat stubble and the like.
Posted By: Snyper Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19

I've been looking on Craigslist. They're fairly scarce around here. There's some big monster ones for sale. But 5 and 6 footers are hard to locate.

Get one wider than your wheels.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19

Most people love it when folks ask them to help. It's human nature to want to help people. And if you are going to give him money, it's not really a favor.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by slumlord

$999,...5 foot.

Tractor Supply sells the same one for the same money.

I might go that route. I'd like to pick up a good used one that I can sell afterwards.

My plan is to go out there and drag it around every time I get bored. It would probably take me all winter to get it chopped up with any little disc that I can pull with an 8N.

I bought a medium duty 4 1/2 foot disc angle iron for mine. The ground had never been broken before. It took quite a few passes to get it where I could plant a food plot. The disc weighs a hair over 400 pounds. It did its best work when I was turning. I looked for a decent used disc for a long time and never found one.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
If you lived closer, I'd let you borrow one. I've got an old 6 foot drag disc sitting in my "boneyard" that I haven't used in 10 years. Just remember though, a disc is not necessarily going to clean that stuff up for you. I imagine burning it is a better option, or just letting it rot for a few years.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
My brother in law has a batwing disk you can have, if your tractor can hook up and move it... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Redneck Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
I never thought I would covet a disc so much. But I've got about a quarter acre on my little patch that needs the schitt disk'ed out of it and I want a disc.

I'm gonna drag one home directly.
I forget what tractor you have.... but for a 7-8' disc you may need 50-70hp to pull it. I did a quick search on Tractorhouse and found (so far) only one 7 footer; a JD, and the price was $11,500 - used...

Are you sure you can't use (or don't have) a suitable 3-pt tiller that would do the job you need at a fraction of the cost?
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/26910037/ford-10-217

Just buy this plow. One state away. $400 and you don't have to ask the neighbors for shixt. Haul it home in the back of your F150. Plow that shixt under and forget it. Work it back down with your tiller.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
If you can find it, and can spray the patch. [img]http://fs1.agrian.com/pdfs/Eradicane_67_E_(02-R0805)_Label.pdf[/img]
I remember now, the herbicide needs to be incorporated, disked in.
Just got on. I appreciate all the added contributions to the thread.
Posted By: Raeford Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Most farmers around here don't mind getting a couple $100 tax free.......
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
My brother in law has a batwing disk you can have, if your tractor can hook up and move it... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Road trip in the Honda!
Posted By: roundoak Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Get a two bottom Ford Ferguson or Dearborn plow. Plow that plot under first then disc it. You could make extra cash by plowing neighbors garden spots.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: I need a disc,... - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
need one for cooking fish and tripas.

Handiest thing I have in camp lately. Fits my little brazier perfectly!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My father-in had an entire set of Ford three point implements just to work the garden.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: I need a disc,... - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by roundoak
Get a two bottom Ford Ferguson or Dearborn plow. Plow that plot under first then disc it. You could make extra cash by plowing neighbors garden spots.

Since the frame assembly does not yield itself to easy disassembly, just grab a cutting torch and cut that second bottom off.

The 8N will do a pretty good job of pulling one 14 inch plow. But it will never pull two, especially in matted cane roots. Believe me, I have plowed many, many acres with an 8N. Hitting a tree root, or even an asparagus plant in the middle of a new field will stop the tractor dead, and toss the operator right over the steering wheel. BTDT many times.

The 8N is a hell of a garden tractor. And in 1939 when its predecessor, the 9N, was introduced with identical engine, it beat the hell out of walking along all day behind a mule. But really, a garden tractor is all it is. And I use mine for that to this day.
© 24hourcampfire