Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I never thought I would covet a disc so much. But I've got about a quarter acre on my little patch that needs the schitt disk'ed out of it and I want a disc.

I'm gonna drag one home directly.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your back has discs. -Hint-

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you were out here you could probably literally find a little 7 or 8 footer for free. Surely you can round one up on the cheap in your area.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I need one between L3 and L4.

Bb

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
If you were out here you could probably literally find a little 7 or 8 footer for free. Surely you can round one up on the cheap in your area.

I've been looking on Craigslist. They're fairly scarce around here. There's some big monster ones for sale. But 5 and 6 footers are hard to locate.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
need one for cooking fish and tripas.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I knew you’d be a rancher.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Last edited by SamOlson; 10/20/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the weekend treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

While it's been a good long while since I spent an entire summer in front of a breaking disc, there are a few things that stuck with me that I'll attempt to articulate.

The disc I was pulling that summer was a breaking disc and was extremely heavy, so while it was only 18' wide, it required a tractor which had 150PTO HP/130 HP at the draw bar to pull the heavy rascal.

It absolutely and positively did break up old cattle pastures and sloughs however, which was the purpose of the exercise.

The disc blades on a breaking disc were serrated for lack of a better term, not rounded like a regular disc.

In between the disc blades are spools which I want to say were likely cast? Anyway they do crack and break so any used disc should be inspected carefully for sure, the frame, spools and disc blades are all susceptible to breakage.

That's all I can think of off the top of my semi-ancient memory tonight sir - my goodness that was 44 summers ago when I did that now that I think of it!

All the best to you this fall and good luck on your disc purchase whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Oh hell,...I'm no rancher. I'm just a guy who bought a little patch of land that a hippie had grown a big ass fuggin' cane patch on.

I had the forest mulcher guy come out and chop it into mulch,.....but now I've got a foot thick layer of mulch on about a quarter acre.

I need to disc it to hell and gone so I can go over it with the zero turn mower when that damn bamboo sprouts up again in the spring.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Your a cane demo reconstruction rancher, boss

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Plant some hay on it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay away from the angle iron from discs. Go with square tube.

The old ford style clam shell bearings require less work.

I rebuilt 2 gangs on my 6 foot disc a couple years back. Shaft, bearings , a few disc, spacers. Almost $400.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Stay away from the angle iron from discs. Go with square tube.

The old ford style clam shell bearings require less work.

I rebuilt 2 gangs on my 6 foot disc a couple years back. Shaft, bearings , a few disc, spacers. Almost $400.

I know. I found one of those old Ford discs for sale for a few $350. But the discs are worn down to nothing. I checked into the price of the individual discs to fix it,..and somebody would have to give me the frame to make it worth fixing,.....about $23 per disc and it's got 16 discs on it. Considering the money and the labor involved,..it's not worth bringing home.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Oh hell,...I'm no rancher. I'm just a guy who bought a little patch of land that a hippie had grown a big ass fuggin' cane patch on.

I had the forest mulcher guy come out and chop it into mulch,.....but now I've got a foot thick layer of mulch on about a quarter acre.

I need to disc it to hell and gone so I can go over it with the zero turn mower when that damn bamboo sprouts up again in the spring.

Can’t push it in a pile and burn it?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Can’t push it in a pile and burn it?

I set it on fire last week and though I was going to burn the whole county down.

It was like one of those old tire pile fires that's been burning for 20 years. The wind picked up and I liked to never got it put out.

I might light it up again after the neighbor cuts his soybeans. But not until then. If I burn up 200 acres of somebody's soybean crop there won't be nothing left for me to do but jump off a bridge.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Give a neighbor with a heavy disc a bottle of good sipping whiskey to come over and disc it for you.

Good heavy discs that'll actually do some work aren't cheap and aren't able to be pulled by an 8N.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Get some electric fence and some pigs.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Give a neighbor with a heavy disc a bottle of good sipping whiskey to come over and disc it for you.

I'd pay somebody more than that. The guy way up on the hill across the street is a fatcat that owns several hundred acres. I've never met him. But I occasionally see one of his hired men out working with some kind of big ass John Deere tractor.

I'd be more than happy to stick a couple of hundred dollar bills in his hand to bring it across the road here and disc that stuff up for me.

I just hate to ask. I don't want to be "that guy" that goes around asking the neighbors for favors.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Good heavy discs that'll actually do some work aren't cheap and aren't able to be pulled by an 8N.

I would look hard at that option, since the neighbor has 200 acres of beans, he more than likely did conventional tillage at some point. Farmers don't sell anything, they just let it return to the earth.

Craigslist probably isn't the place to find a small disc. Nobody wants them, therefore they don't have value, and it's not worth the hassle to sell them. ^^^ See previous statement about farmers letting old equipment return to the earth. I know you are the "Do it Yourself" type, SO if you really want a small disc. Find a coffee shop with farmers and ask. Someone will have an idea.

Next you'll be looking for a telephone pole to use as a drag, You'll have a whole yard full of farm implements, and there won't be any denying the "rancher" moniker then.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.